• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Like I've said many times over and over in this read and elsewhere, next-gen consoles won't be a giant leap GPU wise. It's the CPU and SSD that will be key.
Tell them it's 10 TF Tom. Tell them.

plsleakspecs :)

On a serious note - I think it's a huge leap of Jason is accurate and says it's a rtx 2080 in terms of perf.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Given that their core business is often driven by microtransactions and graphical fidelity doesn't necessarily sell more copies, I'd bet that EA and Activision would scale back their games to work on Lockhart.

I don't think folks should hope for big pubs to fight against Lockhart anyway. The thing doesn't have a disc drive, so no used or rental games. This is the future they want, lol.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
It took almost all the generation for that, and third party was still best on Xbox 360.
Devs also took a long time to manage the eSRAM of Xbox One.

In both cases, it allows the other console to thrieves. It is not impactless.
the difference between lockhart and the rest of the nextgen consoles is non existent from an architectural point of view. The cases you mentioned have relatively large architectural differences in respect to the lead platforms of their time and PC

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Bethesda lying that they're going to do stuff in The Elder Scrolls 6 that isn't possible on PS4/One? Why would they do that if it's so easily scalable?

"Just turn down the resolution/effects guys..."

because there will be more stuff going on, characters, advanced physics, better AI, much better IQ obviously, and very quick load times.

like yes you could probably have a 720p version of roughly the same game but it would be so downgraded they feel it's not worth the port effort.

like factually you probably could downport most Xbox one stuff to a 360, but that's just functionally not how this industry works.

like it isn't hard for a dev to say "we could not make this game on last gen hardware."

That's true, it wouldn't be the same game. Could they port a playable version that's structurally pretty much the same game? Yes, but that obviously isn't their priority.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that I think may be relevant here is that many of the younger gamers (my boys included) have grown up in an age when video game graphics were already pretty great compared to when some of us older gamers were first in awe of the early PlayStation or Xbox graphics. They seem to really favor frame rate a lot over pretty graphics, maybe due to games like Minecraft, Fortnite and PvP gaming in general. My boys at least are impressed for a few minutes with graphics and are then complaining about frame rates and such. Even something like a Lockhart with the right CPU, SSD and targeting lesser resolution is going to be very attractive to a large number of gamers that may not be like us who pixel peep on AAA titles and such for whatever silly reason.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
New predictions:

PS5:
16 GB GDDR6 available to devs (18GB total) @ 18 Gbps on a 256-bit memory bus

Anaconda:
16GB GDDR6 available to devs (18GB total) @ 18 Gbps on a 256-bit memory bus

Lockhart:
10GB GDDR6 available to devs (12GB Total) @ 16 Gbps on a 256-bit memory bus

18GB total RAM would likely require a 288 bit memory bus, not 256
12GB total RAM would likely require a 192 or 384 bit memory bus. Since this is a low cost device, then it'd be a 192 bit bus.
MS losing money on both consoles? The point of a premium model is to make profit while the main seller takes the loss.
If Lockhart is a digital only console (no disk drive) that means games need to be purchased through the Xbox store. No used games, no other storefronts taking their chunk of the cost.

What I said on the podcast is that although there appear to be significant RAM and GPU differences between Lockhart and Scarlett, and I've heard some naysaying from developers about that, the high-end SSD and massive CPU boosts are going to be a big deal. I'm no engineer but my understanding is that it's easier to deal with GPU bottlenecks by reducing graphical fidelity than it is to deal with the CPU bottlenecks that have been throttling console games for a while now.
This lines up really well with what tomwarren has been saying as well.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
What I said on the podcast is that although there appear to be significant RAM and GPU differences between Lockhart and Scarlett, and I've heard some naysaying from developers about that, the high-end SSD and massive CPU boosts are going to be a big deal. I'm no engineer but my understanding is that it's easier to deal with GPU bottlenecks by reducing graphical fidelity than it is to deal with the CPU bottlenecks that have been throttling console games for a while now.
Any chance Lockhart is cloud server side and not consumer APU?

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah that is a good point. I guess even working on a remake not worrying about old ass tech will let Bluepoint be way more ambitious in terms of fidelity even if the scope isn't massively expanded.
I guess Demons Souls with incredibly realistic and atmospheric graphics alone would be a hit. The underlying game is already addicting and well regarded. Give it a vast visual upgrade, make it feel like you're there... hopefully with 60fps visuals and responsive and it'd be a winner.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Why is this about launch? There is a huge market that buys consoles 2-4 years into the consoles life because that's when the pricing becomes reasonable. This move allows those gamers to join the next generation sooner.

Possibly, but a side effect could be that having a cheaper option just fixes the pricing of both models much longer. Traditionally you might see a $100 price drop within 2-3 years. But now, waiting may not really save you much money at all because in MS's mind, if you want to save money, then there's Lockhart, no reason to price drop Scarlett. However the reality is that you don't want the inferior model, you want the higher end model at a cheaper price, which is less likely to happen now.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope you like the way 3rd party games look now, because thats as good as they are going to look next gen thanks to lockhart!

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Possibly, but a side effect could be that having a cheaper option just fixes the pricing of both models much longer. Traditionally you might see a $100 price drop within 2-3 years. But now, waiting may not really save you much money at all because in MS's mind, if you want to save money, then there's Lockhart, no reason to price drop Scarlett. However the reality is that you don't want the inferior model, you want the higher end model at a cheaper price, which is less likely to happen now.

Price drops were significantly slower this generation than in the past, not so sure why. Seemed like companies were happier adding more storage than reducing the prices. Perhaps component prices aren't reducing as quickly as they have done in the past?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Everyone needs to cool it.

Some developers expressed some concerns. That doesn't mean next-gen is ruined or limited, MS doesn't want that and wouldn't be perhaps going down this path if that was believed to be a serious possibility.

Next-gen is looking great, OK? This news doesn't change that.

Be excited. I know I am.

My petition to cancel Lockhart and Xbox entirely already has a couple dozen signatures, the ball is already rolling and nothing you say will stop it.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the rumors are true that it's better than rtx 2080 it has to be more cus than a 5700 xt. That's cool.

I guess it's possible they've figured out how to clock 40cus at like 2200mhz with console level tdp and cooling but unlikely. 5700 xt is actually pretty close to a rtx 2080 with an oc.

so even baseline with optimization and such i would actually be pretty happy with 40cus clocked at at least 1800mhz plus additional hardware raytracing.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I guess Demons Souls with incredibly realistic and atmospheric graphics alone would be a hit. The underlying game is already addicting and well regarded. Give it a vast visual upgrade, make it feel like you're there... hopefully with 60fps visuals and responsive and it'd be a winner.

Imagine that game with combat improvements, expanded inventory, 60FPS gameplay, covenant play, the works.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
are you kidding me? We are all basing our consideration on the rumors and the kotaku article.
That article state that the console will have a SSD, but not state that this is the same as Scarlett. The SSD of Lockart can we way slower than the one in others consoles.
"Developers briefed on Lockhart also say it has a faster CPU than any current video game console"
"analogized it to the PlayStation 4 Pro in terms of raw graphical power"
=> doesn't mean anything. If they really searching to decrease the cost, maybe they won't go on Zen 2.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Kleegamefan said Lockhart was still dead.

source.gif

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that no one has started a petition yet
I want this to be the text on the petition.

Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Tflops culture (I'm an expert), but CU Counts and GPU Clocks are huge parts of it. It's not like they are Nintendo where you can become successful by launching an underpowered handheld. If you launch an underpowered next gen console, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is a 14 tflops HBM3 infused GPU.

What this means is the tflops community after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase either system, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire next gen speculation thread with this move.

Phil, publicly apologize and cancel Lockhart or you can kiss your business goodbye.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Tflops culture (I'm an expert), but CU Counts and GPU Clocks are huge parts of it. It's not like they are Nintendo where you can become successful by launching an underpowered handheld. If you launch an underpowered next gen console, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is a 14 tflops HBM3 infused GPU.

What this means is the tflops community after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase either system, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire next gen speculation thread with this move.

Phil, publicly apologize and cancel Lockhart or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Never gets old.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

Surely this is satire.

Ah wait yeah, I remember this one

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
Price drops were significantly slower this generation than in the past, not so sure why. Seemed like companies were happier adding more storage than reducing the prices. Perhaps component prices aren't reducing as quickly as they have done in the past?

The semiconductor industry has been struggling with the collapse of Moore's Law and the great majority of the focus of the industry aimed at making processers suitable for portable applications. Even Intel have been struggling mightily in this environment to push performance forward. Smaller processes aren't always delivering nothing but benefits, as they used to.

It's hard out there for a chip.

Aug 26, 2019

This is a legendary post.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kleegamefan said the 40 CU 2Ghz calc was incorrect.
Kleegamefan said Lockhart was still dead.
But dude, you said the same thing as kleegamefan in your own article.

Microsoft's Anaconda console will be the true next-gen leap, and sources tell The Verge that Microsoft is targeting more than 10 teraflops of graphical power on this particular console. Plans for Lockhart may change, but currently this console will debut with around 4 teraflops of graphical power.

thats exactly what kleegamefan said. That both consoles are targetting double digit tflops. i get that you want to take a victory lap but you literally vindicated him on this particular bit in your article.

Schrier in his tweets also said what Klee has been saying about next gen consoles being more powerful than whats currently on the market from AMD. Both you and Jason separately confirmed his info.

Status
Not open for further replies.