• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Because Lockheart will be cheaper than the PS5 and "next gen" in most consumers eyes- thus making the PS5 the expensive next gen console.

How has that help them this gen where they were cheaper whole gen
In fact even last gen Sony sold equal with MS and they came out much more expensive .
Try to look at this from a WW perspective.

Feb 10, 2018
How would MS do that if Sony does not want it ?
It's not totally up to MS which is why minecraft on PS4 still not full updated if i remember right .
MS don't only want to be the store which is why they have games pass \ xcould which not tied to hardware and is a sub service.
You really think MS won't like game pass or xcloud on the PS4 100 million plus user base.

Yes gamepass is different to individual games, which is what I replied to.
Sony won't want gamepass on PlayStation because it would take away 3rd party sales on there platform and ms don't want to do an exclusive only gamepass on PS4/5 because if that was the case they wouldn't be making consoles.

IMS don't want to just sell there games and services on every platform because if that was the case they would just become a publisher and do Xcloud.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Btw, for everyone saying the LockHart is going to open new markets and sell better.

What's the point of Scarlett then?
If you only need 4TF to "appear" next gen, why even bother doing better?

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i never said it was a scam but if what i described sounds like a scam to you then thats all thats needed to be said.

No one is showing games built on a 4 tflops console at E3. Phil wont even confirm it and you think they will show games running on it?

i do agree that there will be a generational difference. the book of the dead demo can be run on the ps4 pro and looks pretty next gen. the UE4 storm demo is running on a 970 which is a sub 4 tflops nvidia GPU.

But when you see games running on a 10+ tflops PS5 looking as good as the photorealistic UE4 rebirth demo, those book of the dead graphics wont impress as much.

Do you all think that gameplay on next gen consoles will look like that video? Because I don´t, and I don´t know if I am being realistic or I am underestimating what next gen hardware will run.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
User Banned (5 Days): Console Wars
Btw, for everyone saying the LockHart is going to open new markets and sell better.

What's the point of Scarlett then?
If you only need 4TF to "appear" next gen, why even bother doing better?
Maybe Microsoft is targeting 60fps 4k with current graphics like new Halo (easly to scale down for Lockhart) and Sony jaw dropping 30fps nextgen shit :-)

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
i never said it was a scam but if what i described sounds like a scam to you then thats all thats needed to be said.

No one is showing games built on a 4 tflops console at E3. Phil wont even confirm it and you think they will show games running on it?

i do agree that there will be a generational difference. the book of the dead demo can be run on the ps4 pro and looks pretty next gen. the UE4 storm demo is running on a 970 which is a sub 4 tflops nvidia GPU.

But when you see games running on a 10+ tflops PS5 looking as good as the photorealistic UE4 rebirth demo, those book of the dead graphics wont impress as much.

By "scam" I was referring to how you were saying they are targeting "low-information" consumers, which sounded like you were saying they were trying to trick people into buying it. If I misunderstood what you meant, sorry. I don't think it will be their approach to try to trick people, they will just say like they do today "best value" and "best performance" (or if behind PS5 "amazing performance", whatever.)

I think they will show games running on it at E3, if only to reassure people like those in this thread that it counts as next gen. They know who is in the theater and paying attention online during E3.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
In fact even last gen Sony sold equal with MS and they came out much more expensive .

Microsoft has been more expensive this gen, starting at launch at $100 more expensive and the One X being $100 more than the Pro. The only thing they have cheaper is the All Digital Edition.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has been more expensive this gen, starting at launch at $100 more expensive and the One X being $100 more than the Pro. The only thing they have cheaper is the All Digital Edition.

No they have not .
Do you even follow sales thread .
MS has been cheaper than Sony most of this gen after the got rid of Kinect .
The do more lower price sales , there price has been cheaper in Europe for years .

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Would be helarious if some cross platform title that are not so cpu demanding will looks/run better on scarlett than on lockhart.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is just anecdotal evidence but last year my brother called me up to ask me if he should buy the x1s for RDR2. It was cheaper than any PS4 console. Now the thing that jumped out at me was that he said it was a 4k console. When i told him that it wasnt and that a 900p RDR2 would look bad on his 65 inch 4k tv and that at the very least he should go with the 1080p PS4 version, he simply refused to believe me. This is an engineer who isnt dumb, or technically challenged. But the 1080p vs 900p or tflops simply dont resonate with people. No matter what i said, it didnt register. the price difference of like $60-100 was too high for him and the 4k marketing simply worked. he went with the cheaper console because of whatever bs marketing blurb MS was running with at the time thanks to the inclusion of the 4k drive in the X1s.

i actually took my x1x at his home and ran RDR2 to show him the difference between the blurry mess he was playing vs the pixel perfect native 4k goodness of the x1x version. he was like yeah its a big difference, but didnt seem to upset at learning he bought a 900p console thinking it was 4k. these are the casuals MS is targeting. i dont think they give a shit really.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
There has been a ton of next-gen news this week. We must be getting really close and both parties seem itching to talk about it
It's likely because more people are getting their hands on it which makes it harder to contain leaks. We should all be glad that things are becoming more widespread among developers.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Yeah, I think it's ok to doubt some insiders, but I dont understand why it has to be incendiary.
Yeah I agree. We should all be a kind to insiders from all angles or they will be hesitant to give insights. Also, let's understand that plans change, and insiders only know what they have seen or been told and the info isn't perfect.

Feb 26, 2018
So that Phil tweet implies the specs are final? And damn the timing cant be a coincidence. MS starting Scarlett marketing early?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you all think that gameplay on next gen consoles will look like that video? Because I don´t, and I don´t know if I am being realistic or I am underestimating what next gen hardware will run.
this is running on a 970. A sub 4 tflops Nvidia GPU.

games designed to run at 10+ tflops GPUs confirmed by Jason and Tom Warren today will look much much better.

yes, you are underestimating next gen.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
If MS could guarantee 12 tf or even 11 tf then they would have clearly said it like they did with XBX 6tf well before the release of the console.

The fact that they only confirmed more than 10tf less than one year before says a lot and confirms my own educated guesses. Current target specs given to developers are probably around 10.8 tf for Scarlett and 11.3 tf for PS5. Again, that's only target specs.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
this is just anecdotal evidence but last year my brother called me up to ask me if he should buy the x1s for RDR2. It was cheaper than any PS4 console. Now the thing that jumped out at me was that he said it was a 4k console. When i told him that it wasnt and that a 900p RDR2 would look bad on his 65 inch 4k tv and that at the very least he should go with the 1080p PS4 version, he simply refused to believe me. This is an engineer who isnt dumb, or technically challenged. But the 1080p vs 900p or tflops simply dont resonate with people. No matter what i said, it didnt register. the price difference of like $60-100 was too high for him and the 4k marketing simply worked. he went with the cheaper console because of whatever bs marketing blurb MS was running with at the time thanks to the inclusion of the 4k drive in the X1s.

i actually took my x1x at his home and ran RDR2 to show him the difference between the blurry mess he was playing vs the pixel perfect native 4k goodness of the x1x version. he was like yeah its a big difference, but didnt seem to upset at learning he bought a 900p console thinking it was 4k. these are the casuals MS is targeting. i dont think they give a shit really.

This true but that don't be the case for everyone even casuals.
So it going to be interesting to see how much that going to matter at start of next gen .
Even more so in place where Sony had lock down this gen.
What this tell me is PS5 price going to play a huge part in how this plays out .

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
If MS could guarantee 12 tf or even 11 tf then they would have clearly said it like they did with XBX 6tf well before the release of the console.

The fact that they only confirmed more than 10tf less than one year before says a lot and confirms my own educated guesses. Current target specs given to developers are probably around 10.8 tf for Scarlett and 11.3 tf for PS5. Again, that's only target specs.

MS haven't confirmed anything, one insider made the comment more than 10 thats it.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It's still dumb no matter how many times it's resuscitated

The stated goal of PS4 Pro was not to access new markets but to hold onto existing markets mid-console cycle against PC market improvements. It was a hedge against Steam not to try to get into China.

But why sell the cheaper ones still? Is it because there's still a market for people who are price conscious and don't mind giving up the performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.