• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2018
Lower tiered model is right for both Xbox and PlayStation. Anyone saying otherwise is stuck in the past where there were limited tools for scaling and consoles used eccentric proprietary architecture. Not all gamers care about ray tracing or getting max resolution for realistic looking games. The biggest premium or cost is the GPU which is entirely scalable. As long as the tools allow for efficient implementation of ray tracing, higher end models will be leveraged.

Ironically the biggest thing that ever holds back high end game development is lack of a customer base for potential ROI. Lowering the barriers for people to jump to next gen CPUs will be the best thing for gamers with high end PCs or premium consoles.
By that logic both Sony and MS should release 200$ consoles and be done with it. Why bother? Hardcore will buy them anyway despite the price

Oct 25, 2017
That means there will be some gamesmade between Scarlett and Lockhart launch that won't work for Lockhart potentially.
How would this even work? Developers would have to go back and downscale all their Anaconda games to run on the Lockhart wouldn't they?
I'm not sure honestly. I just don't see it being at launch since we were told it had been canned.

MS may still have plans for Lock but it probably won't be at launch.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
That means there will be some gamesmade between Scarlett and Lockhart launch that won't work for Lockhart potentially.
Yeah.And one more thing i was thinking about: that "super fast custom Sony ssd"...considering possible 2 Next Xbox consoles plus PCs,outside of Sony owned studios 3rd parties are not going to bother much with it except for overall much faster loading,eh?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
One big problem of the "what if it's just a weaker GPU so games will just run 1080p" is that just cutting down on the GPU won't save anywhere near as much money as you people seem to think it will. You'd likely would have to cut GPU, RAM and storage, at the very least, to be able to save $100. An I'm not sure a $100 delta between the future-proof and the hobbled SKUs is enough to sell the weaker one.

With each of these cuts, you're adding extra complications to port. And some of the GPU workloads don't scale with resolution, so there would be some further issues there.

Err all insiders basically agreed that they can't finalize on the games yet because the specs aren't finalized yet either...

Nope, what they said is that they can't be finalized because final devkit isn't out - i.e. games haven't been tested on what will essentially be final hardware, there's no guarantee they'll work as intended on shipping silicon.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018
Why do people assume everything would be weaker? The machines would likely be mostly the same but with a cheaper GPU in one that is strong enough to run the same games at 1080p instead of 4K. I don't understand how this concept is so foreign to people when it's the same principle as the Switch.
Same principle as a Switch? It gets like 5-10% AAA games ported ok it and they look and run like crap. And here you are comparing it to a machine that will require that every game should be running on it

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Same principle as a Switch? It gets like 5-10% AAA games ported ok it and they look and run like crap. And here you are comparing it to a machine that will require that every game should be running on it
Same principle doesn't mean same specs, lmao.
The difference between Switch docked and Switch undocked is the GPU clock speed, for a cheaper Xbox the difference would be a weaker GPU than the 4K machine. The rest of the hardware would still be there, nothing would be holding anything back, the games would just be lower res on the cheaper machine.

Nov 20, 2019
latest
ROFLMAO

Feb 26, 2018
Same principle doesn't mean same specs, lmao.
The difference between Switch docked and Switch undocked is the GPU clock speed, for a cheaper Xbox the difference would be a weaker GPU than the 4K machine. The rest of the hardware would still be there, nothing would be holding anything back, the games would just be lower res on the cheaper machine.
I see. Didn't understand you correctly the first time.
But wouldn't slower GPU be a bottleneck for other parts? Don't forget that it needs to be like 100-200$ cheaper. That's why I don't think they can build Lockhart with just worse GPU. Maybe I'm wrong ofc

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Current gen games are held back by CPU, and the lack of SSD more than anything else. Devs can do a lot of tricks to upscale resolution and visual quality, but there's no getting around CPU constraints. If Microsoft decide to release a cheaper console at some point after Scarlett then as long as it shares the same CPU I can't imagine it would be a major headache for most devs.
Yeah agree. Faster the masses move to have access to the better storage and CPUs the better.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
One big problem of the "what if it's just a weaker GPU so games will just run 1080p" is that just cutting down on the GPU won't save anywhere near as much money as you people seem to think it will. You'd likely would have to cut GPU, RAM and storage, at the very least, to be able to save $100. An I'm not sure a $100 delta between the future-proof and the hobbled SKUs is enough to sell the weaker one.

With each of these cuts, you're adding extra complications to port. And some of the GPU workloads don't scale with resolution, so there would be some further issues there.
That's correct, that's why the original plan for Lockhart was best value console, with same CPU clocked lower, weaker GPU, less RAM, and same storage. Anaconda was pitched as the perf king.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is arguing about PS5 vs Xbox and I'm just over here expecting the differences to be so minor that they won't even be worth mentioning.
I see. Didn't understand you correctly the first time.
But wouldn't slower GPU be a bottleneck for other parts? Don't forget that it needs to be like 100-200$ cheaper. That's why I don't think they can build Lockhart with just worse GPU. Maybe I'm wrong ofc
Depends on how much each machine costs to make. They can cut down on other things like storage size and assuming Scarlett will be sold at a profit they can also take a smaller profit on Lockhart to help bring the price down. If MS really wants to they can even take a small hit on Lockhart if they really want to get it out there to grown their user base.

That's correct, that's why the original plan for Lockhart was best value console, with same CPU clocked lower, weaker GPU, less RAM, and same storage. Anaconda was pitched as the perf king.
The idea doesn't really work very well with a lower clocked CPU and less RAM.

Feb 26, 2018
So if its not just weaker GPU than it wont just be as easy as just changing resolution. Weaker CPU will already be a bottleneck for better AI, bigger worlds and other stuff

Aug 26, 2019
What if they made Lockhart all-digital? Would that allow them to mitigate sacrifices to RAM, CPU etc.? How much cheaper is Xbox One SAD to produce then Xbox One S?

Oct 25, 2017
People actually bought that line? 21%? My goodness.
No one here bought that but it is easier to create strawman fallacies when you have nothing else to support your argument.

Edit - Not you but the person who originally said that.

Everyone is arguing about PS5 vs Xbox and I'm just over here expecting the differences to be so minor that they won't even be worth mentioning.
And we've been told that by Matt and Klee several times now.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
You are right but would there be a difference? Serious question. They misspelled scarlet (which is a color) as a name as well if I am not mistaken.

Not really. Just noticed the 'wrong' spelling being used a few times. I'm not even sure what Lockhart is a reference to anyway. It seems it is just a surname but not a lot else....Anaconda we know is a snake. So random!

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
So has the original plan changed? cos your post above makes it seem like MS has made some changes to the original plan for Lockhart.

Feb 26, 2018
What if they made Lockhart all-digital? Would that allow them to mitigate sacrifices to RAM, CPU etc.?
It will save them less than 10$ for the drive? It's not enough + don't forget that retail is still 50-60% of sales. Lots of markets to lose
Depends on how much each machine costs to make. They can cut down on other things like storage size and assuming Scarlett will be sold at a profit they can also take a smaller profit on Lockhart to help bring the price down. If MS really wants to they can even take a small hit on Lockhart if they really want to get it out there to grown their user base.
Well it's not that simple. They ain't gonna loose lots of money on hardware. Official price of current gen consoles are still 300$ for a reason.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

Smaller GPU
Less storage at same speed
Same CPU, maybe downclocked a bit
Less RAM at same speed
Cheaper cooling
No disc drive

I think they can easily make $100 in savings and still have a compelling system. Say the specs are something like rumored:

4TF Navi GPU w/ RT hardware
3GHz+ Zen 2 CPU
12 GB GDDR6
512 GB NVMe SSD
Discless

That thing would run circles around an Xbox One X and still check all the next gen boxes for consumers - fast loads, new CPU, ray tracing etc.

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
Tom Warren has repeated what an Xbox executive said a few weeks ago about the power of Scarlet, and possibly confirmed Lockhart.
Thanks. I saw his tweet talking about a 14TF devkit. Is that all? Why would that make Lockhart more likely? I thought Microsoft already said there is currently no Lockhart

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone on this forum? Wait, 95% do. It's quite obvious in every Xbox thread .. not sure where you were going with this.. maybe to war with them?
They made that statement but showed no proof. As far as I know everyone took it as a joke. The majority in this thread believe in < 10% difference.

Where are your numbers of 95% coming from?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Smaller GPU
Less storage at same speed
Same CPU, maybe downclocked a bit
Less RAM at same speed
Cheaper cooling
No disc drive

I think they can easily make $100 in savings and still have a compelling system.

Considering that Xbox skews considerably more enthusiast/hardcore than PS, do you really think there's a meaningful market for this console versus one that isn't gimped and costs just $100 more? I, honestly, don't think so.

Maybe this would have some appeal as a second, third console. Dunno.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
They made that statement but showed no proof. As far as I know everyone took it as a joke. The majority in this thread believe in < 10% difference.

Where are your numbers of 95% coming from?
As a whole forum, not this thread with about 30 regulars. Constant polls and thread replies, reactionary creations and emotional rants show how much a vast majority feel about the Xbox and any positive news. It's just a fact with historical evidence we are created every day. Not trying to argue but they are just pointing out the obvious as bait.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
As a whole forum, not this thread with about 30 regulars. Constant polls and thread replies, reactionary creations and emotional rants show how much a vast majority feel about the Xbox and any positive news. It's just a fact with historical evidence we are created every day. Not trying to argue but they are just pointing out the obvious as bait.
Like the last thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.