• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Why ?
I can tell you right not it won't be the major of the base and devs will down port without much care .
How do you know it wont be the majority of the base? People are price sensitive, if the Lockhart is $299 and Anaconda is $499 I can easily see the Lockhart selling better than the Anaconda.
And yes, unless devs and publishers are fine with their games on Lockhart running at 20FPS you will see developers make sacrifices because of it.

twistedbasis

Jan 10, 2018
It's sad but true. Lockhart still lives. It doesn't matter at this point if you believe it or not. All that matters now is the rain of negativity that we should unleash once its existence becomes known. MS likes to make things hard on themselves for no reason. I hope they and their team is prepared for the backlash.

Aug 26, 2019
I honestly don't see a scenario where MS allows any dev to develop a game for one of the SKUs and not the other. Would fragment the user base fierce and suck for those that got Lockhart. It's just bad business.
Yeah I'm sure MS will turn down games from EA, Activision, T2 etc. effectively generating a ton of PS5 console-exclusives because they didn't allow devs to target a single SKU.

Also, the game will still be playable on Lockhart*

*via xCloud

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know it wont be the majority of the base? People are price sensitive, if the Lockhart is $299 and Anaconda is $499 I can easily see the Lockhart selling better than the Anaconda.

If people were price sensitive only XB was have sold more this whole gen instead PS4 is leading 2 to 1 .
It's about the overall package and at launch price becomes much less of a factor.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
It's sad but true. Lockhart still lives. It doesn't matter at this point if you believe it or not. All that matters now is the rain of negativity that we should unleash once its existence becomes known. MS likes to make things hard on themselves for no reason. I hope they and their team is prepared for the backlash.
latest

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
If Lockhart still exists, it will be spec similarly to the PS5 with the same or lower price. Anaconda would be the godly beast.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
By the time Xbox One was matching or even beating the PS4 in price the race was already over.

MS slash there price less than 11 months into the gen and was cheaper whole gen .
Race was already over people seem to forget Sony did not have such a huge lead after the first year . ( 10 million to 18.5 million.)
Last gen MS had 10 million lead on Sony before the gen even started for them .

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
MS slash there price less than 11 months into the gen and was cheaper whole gen .
Race was already over people seem to forget Sony did not have such a huge lead after the first year . ( 10 million to 18.5 million.)
Last gen MS had 10 million lead on Sony before the gen even started for them .
85% difference is quite significant. And Sony came back due to solid exclusives, because people remembered the brand from the PS2 days and their solid foodhold in Europa and Japan.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah so I literally said nothing. Got it 👍
Thanks Tom for all the info so far. when will we be getting a proper Scarlet reveal? Pretty hyped for the hardware and will we be getting a version without a drive just like the Xbox One SADE? You got any idea? Really can't wait to see what Panos and the rest of the hardware team have been cooking up. I know it's going to be something special

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I hope Lockhart still lives. I think it's the right strategy. It means there's opportunity to offer an enthusiast console at a premium. Microsoft is already scaling their games due to PC. Never understood "holding games back" argument considering the evidence out there to the contrary by none other than Sony themselves who've made the best looking games all gen despite having them scale to run on base PS4. If Sonys 1st party games were scaled up to have 4K with 4K textures at 60fps on PC, they'd be the best looking games in every aspect. Consoles using the same architecture, OS and APIs are going to scale fairly easily.

Oct 25, 2017
A few doubting Warren are the same ones talking shit about people doubting Reiner. 😂
From what I have gathered, the same thing has been said by Warren and Jason - MS does not have dev kits out to everyone that should have them. So, there isn't much to doubt there. The difference is just in the reason why.

Jason was suggesting it is because they are behind schedule. Warren is suggesting it is because MS is planning something in order to catch Sony off guard.

Those are the parts being contended. I think Jason has proven his viability more times than we can count, so his word has more weight than all the others for me. On top of that, I just think Warren's line of reasoning has more room for doubt.

Feb 26, 2018
Yeah no Lockhart please
The only way im okay with that if Lockhart is matching PS5 and Anaconda is something like 600-700$ beast

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
A couple weeks ago when Phil said they'll not be overpriced and under powered, he said it so confidently because they have a $399/$499, 10tf/12tf plan. One to match the PS5 and one to beat it.

They made an SKU for every power envelope and price point, from 6 to 12TF and $249 to $599 :D a devilish plan Wile E. Coyote would be proud of.

I just think Warren's line of reasoning has more room for doubt.

That's pretty charitable of you :D

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
People still worry about an alternative cheaper and weaker machine? Seriously, it'd likely just be cut down in such a way to run the exact same games with nearly the exact same settings but at 1080p. The concept has been proven to work with the Switch's docked and undocked modes.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
Never understood "holding games back" argument considering the evidence out there to the contrary by none other than Sony themselves who've made the best looking games all gen despite having them scale to run on base PS4. Consoles using the same architecture, OS and APIs are going to scale fairly easily.
Current gen games are held back by CPU, and the lack of SSD more than anything else. Devs can do a lot of tricks to upscale resolution and visual quality, but there's no getting around CPU constraints. If Microsoft decide to release a cheaper console at some point after Scarlett then as long as it shares the same CPU I can't imagine it would be a major headache for most devs.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, sure, a tweet sequence that mentions devkits exactly 0 times and directly mentions devs being given specs (that we know for a fact devs are given well in advance of getting any devkits) is, somehow, about the devkits. Sure.
A tweet thread where the info is the interpretations of a journalist based on info they received from a dev. It's not definitive one way or the other. I don't see "target" being mentioned anywhere either with regard to the specs.

There is not enough clarity to say definitely if the info is based on devkit specs or target specs. You may have an interpretation of those tweets, but it doesn't mean other interpretations should be dismissed.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Current gen games are held back by CPU, and the lack of SSD more than anything else. Devs can do a lot of tricks to upscale resolution and visual quality, but there's no getting around CPU constraints. If Microsoft decide to release a cheaper console at some point after Scarlett then as long as it shares the same CPU I can't imagine it would be a major headache for most devs.
Yeah, it'd likely be the same concept behind the two Switch modes, but as two different machines. One for 4K, one for 1080p.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I don't see "target" being mentioned anywhere either with regard to the specs

You can't be serious. I refuse to believe you're saying this shit for real.

"No, these aren't target specs, just are just a bunch of numbers that we found aesthetically pleasing. Develop to them, they might or not coincide with what the consoles will be packing. Who knows? Fun, right?!"

Any specs devs are given will be target specs. Even if they were devkit specs - and they're not -, they would be target specs, because the devkits won't be packing significantly more or less power than it is expected inside the consoles. Devs wouldn't be given specifications that aren't relevant to developing their games for a target platform, let alone discuss them in such terms. Stop being absurdly obtuse.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Lower tiered model is right for both Xbox and PlayStation. Anyone saying otherwise is stuck in the past where there were limited tools for scaling and consoles used eccentric proprietary architecture. Not all gamers care about ray tracing or getting max resolution for realistic looking games. The biggest premium or cost is the GPU which is entirely scalable. As long as the tools allow for efficient implementation of ray tracing, higher end models will be leveraged.

Ironically the biggest thing that ever holds back high end game development is lack of a customer base for potential ROI. Lowering the barriers for people to jump to next gen CPUs will be the best thing for gamers with high end PCs or premium consoles.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Interesting,you think they might launch it after Scarlett (a la Switch lite?) and not together with it?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

I mean after a certain amount of time who would be the base for it ?
There so many more options now to play MS games and there is MS cloud service that upcoming .

Feb 26, 2018
Didn't we got the info that devs didn't like the idea of Lockhart? Maybe im remembering wrong

Why are people talking like the only thing games have is FPS and resolution. A console with weaker CPU, slower SSD, worse GPU will be holding such things as world complexity, loading times, AI quality and other stuff down. All of this have an effect on game design.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Lower tiered model is right for both Xbox and PlayStation. Anyone saying otherwise is stuck in the past where there were limited tools for scaling and consoles used eccentric proprietary architecture. Not all gamers care about ray tracing or getting max resolution for realistic looking games. The biggest premium or cost is the GPU which is entirely scalable. As long as the tools allow for efficient implementation of ray tracing, higher end models will be leveraged.

Ironically the biggest thing that ever holds back high end game development is lack of a customer base for potential ROI. Lowering the barriers for people to jump to next gen CPUs will be the best thing for gamers with high end PCs or premium consoles.

A lower tier model make no sense after a certain amount of time .
Hell if we go by this gen just do sales when needed and keep the MSRP up as long as possible.
Seem to be working for Nintendo and Sony this gen .

People who want a console and don't care about 4K.

It not about caring about 4k it's about value .
If they wait to long to bring out lockhart the value proposition drops .

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Err all insiders basically agreed that they can't finalize on the games yet because the specs aren't finalized yet either...

so target specs sound like garbage can noises to me.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we got the info that devs didn't like the idea of Lockhart? Maybe im remembering wrong

Why are people talking like the only thing games have is FPS and resolution. A console with weaker CPU, slower SSD, worse GPU will be holding such things as world complexity, loading times, AI quality and other stuff down. All of this have an effect on game design.
Why do people assume everything would be weaker? The machines would likely be mostly the same but with a cheaper GPU in one that is strong enough to run the same games at 1080p instead of 4K. I don't understand how this concept is so foreign to people when it's the same principle as the Switch.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
If lockheart launches after the gen begins it's not lockheart anymore. This discussion is getting real thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.