• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
I want a remake of The Order 1886 with everything fixed for PS5
A remake and a sequel, that would be nice.
Especially thinking of the SSD and the streaming possible on the Zeppelin or even a detailed London with 4k textures...
Funny enough I would like them to keep the cinematic feeling and render at less than 4k.

Oct 25, 2017
RaD could be partnered with Sony, MS, etc... There are quite a few viable options.

We saw how hard MS went in with 3rd party partnerships at the beginning of the gen. It wouldn't be surprising if it ended up being them.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Particles, cloth physics, fluid simulation, every visual physics effect works well on GPU because of the parallelism of the task. Rigid body physics and gameplay physics requiring more precision are better done on the CPU.
Fluid simulation on gpu ? So you tell me most games on ps4 and xone has fluid simulation on gpu for example in rdr 2 or Assasins Creed Odyssey ? Really doubt it. Do you have some paper of Remedy Control physc ? As for as I know majority games that use Physx sdk compute it on cpu.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
The Order 1886 is a mediocre game. I cannot see how it's reviewed unfairly, there is tons of problems with the game. And tbh. I could gloss over the gameplay, but the story ain't great either.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Fluid simulation on gpu ? So you tell me most games on ps4 and xone has fluid simulation on gpu for example in rdr 2 or Assasins Creed Odyssey ? Really doubt it. Do you have some paper of Remedy Control physc ? As for as I know majority games that use Physx api compute it on cpu.

I did not say all game and this is often simplified physics, true physics simulations are too complex. And many games use Havok physics too.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
And that Infamous: Second Son would be Sucker Punch's "Uncharted 2" moment. Expectations for every studio were really high at the beginning of the gen.
True, I expected even more generation defining SP IPs this gen than the PS360 era....lol. Expectations were altered very quickly

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Fluid simulation on gpu ? So you tell me most games on ps4 and xone has fluid simulation on gpu for example in rdr 2 or Assasins Creed Odyssey ? Really doubt it. Do you have some paper of Remedy Control physc ? As for as I know majority games that use Physx sdk compute it on cpu.

yep, I believe it to be mostly cpu ad well. GPU compute physics for these things was a Havok FX usp, but that pretty much got killed when MS bought Havok. Among many other things.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Physics and AI isn't really a CPU vs. GPU thing, it depends on specific algorithms. For instance, pathfinding was traditionally done on CPUs because the classic algorithms were pretty scalar in nature. That is, until GPGPU became a thing and new algorithms were created to make use of the parallelism. One GPGPU pathfinding algorithm I've seen mentioned a 100x speedup in relation to classic A* implementations, and scales much, much more gracefully when dealing with multiple agents - think of the hordes in Days Gone. So, there's no reason to go back to calculating this stuff on CPUs anymore.

Same thing happens when solving all kinds of physics things.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
yep, I believe it to be mostly cpu ad well. GPU compute physics for these things was a Havok FX usp, but that pretty much got killed when MS bought Havok. Among many other things.

Wrong and some studios continues to use Havok physics like Naughty Dog or Guerrilla Games for example.

The technical art of sea of thieves

Often games with Ocean or use fast Fourier transform to simulate waves and add shaders visual effect like Sea of thieves for example ;)

Sea of Thieves posed a unique challenge - developing a stylised, open world game in Unreal Engine 4, a demanding and contemporary game engine focused on photo-realistic rendering. Our game contains a large number of dynamic elements and is designed to run on hardware ranging from integrated GPUs on a laptop, to the most powerful modern gaming PCs. Over the course of development, we have come up with a number of innovative techniques focused both on keeping an open world game like ours performant and visually appealing.

We introduced several techniques that we used to stylise and supplement the look of our FFT water implementation for the game's oceans. We also created a new cloud rendering and simulation system for this game, allowing for fast rendering of three-dimensional, art-directed cloudscapes without using expensive raymarching techniques.

To bring the world to life, we also developed other graphical features, including a physically-based system of rendering rope-and-pulley systems, our use of baking simulation data to textures and real-time surface fluid simulations to model incidental water behaviour on the GPU.

Physics and AI isn't really a CPU vs. GPU thing, it depends on specific algorithms. For instance, pathfinding was traditionally done on CPUs because the classic algorithms were pretty scalar in nature. That is, until GPGPU became a thing and new algorithms were created to make use of the parallelism. One GPGPU pathfinding algorithm I've seen mentioned a 100x speedup in relation to classic A* implementations, and scales much, much more gracefully when dealing with multiple agents - think of the hordes in Days Gone. So, there's no reason to go back to calculating this stuff on CPUs anymore.

True and with raytracing we will probably see some usage of the acceleration structure for physics too.

Last edited:

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
There's a 6 week window where I expect PS5 to be revealed, from about January 21st to the first week in March.

Most likely though, February, like PS4

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Havok Physics!=Havok FX.

And Havok physics can use the GPU too. ;)

EDIT: And you have people using their own GPU accelerated physics like Housemarque with GPU particles-

The last version of Havok FX use the CPU

But for doing the same thing other teams use the GPU. The first AAA of Housemarque probably on a PS5 title will use GPU particles.

EDIT:

You mentioned Housemarque likes to work with cutting edge tech. For instance, Nex Machina had ray tracing before everyone was talking about it. Will that continue with your AAA game? What kind of new tech will we see?

A lot of the expertise that we've accumulated over the last decade from making our own tech will of course transfer to our future games. So, we have a really sophisticated GPU-driven particle system. You're going to see a lot of those features utilized in our future games as well.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I think supporting the Cell processor/RISC architecture was more of a pain than the "just a PC"/X86 architecture of PS4/5 is going to be. I don't see why Sony would stop selling the PS4 any time soon and it's going to be very very easy for devs to continue to support it.

That's not relevant to the duration of the cross-gen period for third parties. And PS3 development was trivial in 2013 when every internal and middleware engine had been architected around the limitations of Cell development, almost every major dev had shipped more than one game on the platform, etc etc.. By then, PS3 dev was as simple as hitting "deploy" in UE3 and then focussing your time on perf optimisation and asset iteration.

The cross gen period will be defined by where 3rd party software sales move to, and if it's anything like this last transition it will be 2:1 on software sales for new-gen consoles in the first year.

That's not correct. Physx was an NVidia exclusive property. So was mostly inaccessible to the majority of console devs.

Most devs used Havok or Bullet Physics, with Bullet being open source.

Miniature Kaiju is right.

This.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
And Havok physics can use the GPU too. ;)

Good that you post this video as an example, because the dev that made that particular demo is a very good friend of mine ;) GPU accalerated physics do exist, but R6 Siege is the only case where they tried to push Havok FX. I know, because my friend worked on that. But full GPU accelerated phycics are rare, except for some particle stuff. It hasnt happened on the scale that Cerny talks about in that demonstration. I can ask in what level Havok FX ended up being integrated in Havok Physics if you want.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Good that you post this video as an example, because the dev that made that particular demo is a very good friend of mine ;) GPU accalerated physics do exist, but R6 Siege is the only case where they tried to push Havok FX. I know, because my friend worked on that. But full GPU accelerated phycics are rare, except for some particle stuff. It hasnt happened on the scale that Cerny talks about in that demonstration. I can ask in what level Havok FX ended up being integrated in Havok Physics if you want.

Studios use some custom physics too to complement Havok or PhysX physics engine

Full GPU accelerated physics is existing for GPU particles or ocean simulation*, cloth simulation can use full GPU acceleration like in the Ubi soft custom implementation or a mix of CPU/GPU. Rigid body physics does not use the GPU at all.

* Full accelerated by GPU in Sea of thieves

EDIT: Dreams use a mix of custom physics with Havok Solver

Nov 20, 2019
A remake and a sequel, that would be nice.
Especially thinking of the SSD and the streaming possible on the Zeppelin or even a detailed London with 4k textures...
Funny enough I would like them to keep the cinematic feeling and render at less than 4k.
Yeah I need a sequel the game looks next gen in alot of areas to me.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Studios use some custom physics too to complement Havok or PhysX physics engine

Just asked, for fun: Havok FX is pretty much dead. PS4 bouncing balls demo was a stand alone demo in the spirit of Havok FX in its early days, not Havok Physics. Later on they discovered some ways to bring things back to CPU in a more optimal & flexible way so Havok FX (as in, GPU physics) didnt got that far; except for R6 Siege. When MS took over they killed a lot of Havok projects.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Just asked, for fun: Havok FX is pretty much dead. PS4 bouncing balls demo was a stand alone demo in the spirit of Havok FX in its early days, not Havok Physics. Later on they discovered some ways to bring things back to CPU in a more optimal & flexible way so Havok FX (as in, GPU physics) didnt got that far; except for R6 Siege. When MS took over they killed a lot of Havok projects.

They probably already had some of those things in the works with DX.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is this youtuber by the name of colteatwood (don't know how reputable he is ) that showed up on my YouTube feed who claims ps5 devs kits are 20% stronger because they r being compared to Lockhart (he uploaded the video 2 days ago well after we know 2 model doesn't exist). He says MS has kept anaconda secret and will unveil it secretly and that will be miles ahead of ps5 .
Is he reliable person or just tries to creat random info for clicks from certain demographics? And can you surprise unveil a platform ? WHat happens to the games if devs didn't know about it ?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
There is this youtuber by the name of colteatwood (don't know how reputable he is ) that showed up on my YouTube feed who claims ps5 devs kits are 20% stronger because they r being compared to Lockhart (he uploaded the video 2 days ago well after we know 2 model doesn't exist). He says MS has kept anaconda secret and will unveil it secretly and that will be miles ahead of ps5 .
Is he reliable person or just tries to creat random info for clicks from certain demographics? And can you surprise unveil a platform ? WHat happens to the games if devs didn't know about it ?
Lolol Lockhart.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder: Microsoft's annual shareholders meeting will be held on December 4, 2019 starting at 8:00 am PT. Shareholders at the close of business on Oct. 8 2019, the record date, will be entitled to vote their shares. This year's annual shareholders meeting will be held virtually.

If you are a Microsoft Corporation shareholder your control number is required to attend the virtual meeting.

t1575475200z4.png

The 2018 Microsoft Annual Shareholders Meeting, held on November 28, 2018, featured discussions on Xbox and gaming. Here are some quotes:

Our gaming revenue exceeded $10 billion and we surpassed 57 million Xbox Live monthly active users as we invested across content, community and the cloud.

And in gaming we are pursuing an expansive opportunity from the way the games are created and distributed to how they're played and viewed. And we're investing aggressively in the content and community and cloud services across every endpoint to expand the usage and deepen the engagement with gamers, including 57 million monthly active Xbox Live users. Finally, we added seven new gaming studios to bolster the first party content for our fast-growing gaming services, like Game Pass subscription service, as well as Mixer.

Earlier this year, we introduced the Xbox Game Pass, a content subscription service for gaming. Just like what Spotify and Netflix have done for music and video, Xbox Game Pass will allow us to reach beyond the 2 billion people playing games today. With over a hundred games available for just $10 a month, we are truly excited to bring gaming to everyone.

But we're also building a robust cloud platform so that anyone can play the games they want with the people they want at any time and place, and most importantly, on any device.

Earlier this year, we announced Project xCloud, our future streaming gaming platform with the goal of delivering a quality experience for all gamers on all devices. We're building a service that's consistent with the speed and high fidelity that gamers expect on their PCs and their consoles.

The Xbox Adaptive Controller was demonstrated and also an item of the Q&A.

Whether the 2019 meeting will feature anything on Project Scarlett I do not know, but I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a mention at least. Xbox and gaming will most likely be featured anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.