• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the FF14 thread, I'm amused that some folks think crossgen is going to mean free patches for their existing PS4/XB1 games.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, megaton and it's not even 2020.
wait till you find out sony has teamed up with 3rd party studios to skip making cross gen games and have the following sequels available only on next gen consoles:

- resident evil 3 remake
- grand theft auto 6
- rocksteady's superman or justice league game
- assassins creed ragnorak

next gen only. available in the launch window or launch year. boom!

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
wait till you find out sony has teamed up with 3rd party studios to skip making cross gen games and have the following sequels available only on next gen consoles:

- resident evil 3 remake
- grand theft auto 6

source.gif

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

- resident evil 3 remake
- grand theft auto 6

aopv1hC.gif

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol.

i am telling you guys. sony is building up to an insane conference. it will be e3 2015 part 2. every dream will come true.

UnsungFavorableAustraliancurlew.gif

tumblr_nq1ir9nyqq1t01wl5o2_250.gif

aAMn22R.gif

IAkAPwq.gif

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Calling it a 'burden' on the CPU is more than a little understatement. A modern x86 core at 4+ Ghz is lucky to do over a 100-150MB/s in common lossless algorithms. Assuming perfect multi-core scaling you'd still need a fully occupied 32 core ThreadRipper 'just' to keep up with a NVME class drive.
And that's not even accounting for Win32 I/O itself easily using up an entire core if you'd want to max-out the drive just managing uncompressed reads.

If there's hardware decompression that can keep up with SSDs at those speeds, that'll be a complete game changer.
GPUs' ability to decompress data on-die has become an important way of managing memory bandwidth needs as well. DCC being just one example.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think the performance and the price is going to shock so many people, and in a bad way.

I'm ready to eat crow though - it is an exciting time.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean E3 2013? That was the mic drop.
it was very light on games. $399 and used games bit was cool... good for system wars, sure, but e3 2015 was the one where every dream came true. the last guardian, ff7, shenmue. it was nuts.

oh and they also showed horizon and uncharted 4 as well. game after game after game.

2016 was nuts as well. gow, days gone, spiderman, re7. i think sony has been saving up for a big one. their ceo who got replaced was on some websites talking about investing heavily in first party games and even helping third party studios. this was last year i believe.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
GTA6 will be next gen only just because it's probably 3-4 years off from release even being generous. I expect the rest of that list to be crossgen.

That being said, I'm optimistic and I do predict the crossgen period will be shorter than a lot of people think. There was a lot in fear last time about consoles being dead and PS4/XB1 failing to take off. That won't be the case this time around.

I think the performance and the price is going to shock so many people, and in a bad way.

I'm ready to eat crow though - it is an exciting time.
I feel like we're well past the point of performance being shocking in a bad way unless you're one of those 7-8TF crazies.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
GTA6 will be next gen only just because it's probably 3-4 years off from release even being generous. I expect the rest of that list to be crossgen.

That being said, I'm optimistic and I do predict the crossgen period will be shorter than a lot of people think. There was a lot in fear last time about consoles being dead and PS4/XB1 failing to take off. That won't be the case this time around.

I feel like we're well past the point of performance being shocking in a bad way unless you're one of those 7-8TF crazies.

I think I am being a bit pessimistic because I just built a PC to go with my X1 and was shocked at how expensive everything had become.

But really it's comparing apples to oranges. Plus I assume they won't go into production at least another 6+ months so things will get cheaper.

It does beckon then... is this the first true gen were consoles are wayyy more price effective than PCs?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I forgot that E3 2015 also had the reveal for Horizon. What an epic E3... 2016 was lacking the shocking announcements but may have surpassed 2015 in terms of quality games shown. That was an incredible 2 year stretch for Sony for sure.

I hope we do get less cross-gen games this time, but we'll probably get just as many.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Reading the FF14 thread, I'm amused that some folks think crossgen is going to mean free patches for their existing PS4/XB1 games.
I don't assume free patches. I assume most will just work as is. Dev techniques like performance mode, dynamic resolution, etc. Ps5 could allow a lot of ps4 games to play at ps4 pro level resolutions with no drops and locked framerates.
I'd be happy with just that.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I don't assume free patches. I assume most will just work as is. Dev techniques like performance mode, dynamic resolution, etc. Ps5 could allow a lot of ps4 games to play at ps4 pro level resolutions with no drops and locked framerates.
I'd be happy with just that.
That's just a PS4 game running on PS5. The announcement that FF14 is coming to PS5 isn't referring to BC.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Of course Sony will have an amazing event. They skipped e3 and they don't have a psx this year. All of that saved info on the games they are building for the ps5 is going to be an amazing thing for us. I can't wait to see how the developers flex their imagination on what they can achieve with these machines that are going to be a big jump, especially on the CPU side.
But if they don't have an amazing event, yikes. Lot of pressure on them!

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, FFXI kept getting content until 2015 IIRC and support for the PS3 version of FFXIV wasn't dropped until the end of 2017: I will be really surprised if there isn't a timeframe where FFXIV on PS4 and Xbox One is supported for a couple of years until enough of the playerbase has had a chance to actually transition to next gen, especially since Square Enix gets a decent chunk of their cash from subscriptions.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course Sony will have an amazing event. They skipped e3 and they don't have a psx this year. All of that saved info on the games they are building for the ps5 is going to be an amazing thing for us. I can't wait to see how the developers flex their imagination on what they can achieve with these machines that are going to be a big jump, especially on the CPU side.
But if they don't have an amazing event, yikes. Lot of pressure on them!
Yeah, I let 2019 slide because it was a transition year of sorts. That means 2020 has to be magma fire though.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
You dont think this will be the norm? I would say for any game that has a decent current community we will see free patches. I also think it would be smart (consumer friendly) to sell a single SKU and on the box it would say playable on ps4/5, then as time goes on it would only say ps5 of course

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
You dont think this will be the norm? I would say for any game that has a decent current community we will see free patches. I also think it would be smart (consumer friendly) to sell a single SKU and on the box it would say playable on ps4/5, then as time goes on it would only say ps5 of course

I don't think it will be the norm. I fully expect the "base" game for live service games to be playable on PS5 but companies will do "sequels" which aren't really full fledged sequels - you're already seeing that kind of thing with Overwatch 2, Path of Exile 2 and the like. And the new versions of old games will be the ones that get the upgrades.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I simply don't think large companies are in the business of doing us a solid when they can make money instead.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It really does seem like the stars aligned and we're getting a really nice combination of technologies in the next-gen consoles.

Everyone wins next year when all the details officially drop.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of games that dish out 'remastered' patches for free on PC, so I'd be annoyed if most of them decide to sell them on the PS5

Feb 10, 2018
Xbox march event 2020

Phil walks on stage and says

"when I said we were making out most powerful console I was not kidding, with great pleasure I announce the next Xbox!

The next Xbox has a 12tflop GPU!!

But the hardware is nothing without the games

Shows next gen exclusive gameplay of

Forza 8
Halo infinite with raytracing 4k 60fps

Phil returns to the stage and says "I had an old friend call Peter who was rather fond of tattoos, well I don't do tattoos but I do tshirts, (Phil slowly unzips his jacket to unviel Grand theft auto 6).
GTA6 will come exclusively to scarlett and PC for 1 month!!
And thats not all I am proud to announce the acquisition of rocksteady game. Here is some gameplay of there superman next gen xgs exclusive!!

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox march event 2020

"when I said we were making out most powerful console I was not kidding, with great pleasure I announce the next Xbox!

Forza 8

Phil returns to the stage and says "I had an old friend call Peter who was rather fond of tattoos, well I don't do tattoos but I do tshirts, (Phil slowly unzips his jacket to unviel Grand theft auto 6).
And thats not all I am proud to announce the acquisition of rocksteady game. Here is some gameplay of there superman next gen xgs exclusive!!
LOL

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
It really does seem like the stars aligned and we're getting a really nice combination of technologies in the next-gen consoles.

Everyone wins next year when all the details officially drop.

I'm not sure how a huge noisy console that melts through peoples furniture benefits anyone. There is also very limited economical viability and headroom when it comes to revisions or a potential Pro/X console. Not to mention the impact on the environment.

Has anyone actually thought about what a "console" like that will look like?

I'm becoming a huge fan of Nintendo's approach to hardware design when I look at some of the more fantastical ideas of what next gen Sony and MS machines will look like according to people in this thread.

Feb 10, 2018
Just out of interest was the original xbox considered an absolute beast when it launched?
I know it was powerful because it had 64mb of ram and a 733mhz cpu and a 300mhz gpu, but I didn't really know if that was expected or not.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just out of interest was the original xbox considered an absolute beast when it launched?
I know it was powerful because it had 64mb of ram and a 733mhz cpu and a 300mhz gpu, but I didn't really know if that was expected or not.
it was a beast.

the 360 was as well. especially in 2005.

the x1 was the only console that wasnt a beast. it was an aberration. an exception, not the norm.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Xbox march event 2020

Forza 8

I'm sure you really enjoyed typing this 😄

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Xbox march event 2020

Forza 8

Way to spoil the whole event!

Feb 10, 2018
I'm sure you really enjoyed typing this 😄

Probably about as much as AegonSnake enjoyed posting these 🤣

lol.

i am telling you guys. sony is building up to an insane conference. it will be e3 2015 part 2. every dream will come true.

UnsungFavorableAustraliancurlew.gif

tumblr_nq1ir9nyqq1t01wl5o2_250.gif

aAMn22R.gif

IAkAPwq.gif

- resident evil 3 remake
- grand theft auto 6

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
OK that is really interesting. It means the SSD streaming decompression will not be a burden neither for the CPU, nor for the main memory. So the custom SSD will definitely have its own hardware to decompress data leaving even more CPU and bandwidth for the actual game rendering. Basically everything described in the SSD patent.
Heck yea. Give me those crazy SSD speed.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

The OG Xbox GPU was downgraded twice in terms of clock speed. From the announced 300 MHz to 250 MHz and then 233 MHz in the final hardware.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how a huge noisy console that melts through peoples furniture benefits anyone. There is also very limited economical viability and headroom when it comes to revisions or a potential Pro/X console. Not to mention the impact on the environment.

Has anyone actually thought about what a "console" like that will look like?

I'm becoming a huge fan of Nintendo's approach to hardware design when I look at some of the more fantastical ideas of what next gen Sony and MS machines will look like according to people in this thread.
All the crazy speculation in here aside, the major difference between last gen and this upcoming one is we lucked out a bit more and the right technologies became available at the right time for the right price.

Your point about environmental concerns is absolutely valid, but that feels like a much bigger subject that should be it's own thread.

As much as I enjoy Nintendo's hardware design, there are just some experiences that require more horsepower. Having just played a 4-player VR escape room on the Vive, it was a really compelling and unique experience, one I'm looking forward to seeing expanded in the console space over the course of the upcoming generation.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is possible for MS to upgrade the SSD if they have an inkling of what Sony was going for?

Let's say they found out about it in June this year and started development on its own propriety SSD around that time.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
399$ team, you didn't answer my question :p

ps8 In 15 years is also 399$ right ? Cause that's the only price that works .

I wonder why ps4 was not 299$ cause you know ps2 launched at that price and was the most successful console ever. Weird how Sony didnt take note of that. It's like the costs were high or something that they couldn't go 299

Status
Not open for further replies.