• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
That will be easily achieved thanks to BC and services / features (like PS4 OS features) identical (or better) on PS5. I think this comment is not about price. They don't want to do the same mistakes they did from PS3 to PS4. With no BC and different OS on PS4. At the beginning PS4 OS was bareborne and lacked many things the PS3 had like the media apps.

People that wanted to play TLOU on PS4 had to wait months and buy another game. Same for COD, FIFA or any big games. People owning PS3 with COD and FIFA were not encouraged to buy PS4s cause they had to buy everything again. That won't happen with PS5. All PS4 big games (and online games needing money maker PS+) will work on PS5 with online and services all fully operational and identical on PS5.
bc is also important factor

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Like I say, those statements don't point to any price point. They are just PR at this point. In fact Cerny's quote wasn't in the Wired article but a hasty Tweet by the article author after many here and elsewhere pronounced it would be $500, $600! Just like after the 8GB PS4 revelation.
Speaking of price,those consoles are designed from the start with certain price point in mind.$499 price would mean that Sony wanted to target that price from the start, back in 2015-2016.It's possible, of course, but i just don't see that.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
User Banned (3 days): Console wars and inappropriate language
Speaking of price,those consoles are designed from the start with certain price point in mind.$499 price would mean that Sony wanted to target that price from the start, back in 2015-2016.It's possible, of course, but i just don't see that.
In 2016 sony probably knew that ps4 pro will be raped by xox so they could adjust strategy for ps5 ;)

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
what about:

Sony's Mark Cerny says PS5 price "will be appealing in light of its advanced feature set"

OK, let me put my advertising/marketing person hat for a second here: in advertising copy there's this thing called setup statement. The idea is that you say something fairly open ended with the intention of having the consumer project some expectation into it that you can, then, surpass in a positive way. When done well, it's really, really powerful because it primes the consumer, in this case on a pricing point that they personally feel is "worth it" and then "gifts" them in a way that feels very rewarding. Generates a lot of goodwill and creates an environment for impulse purchases (man, this is SUCH a deal) and, in the social media age, gets people talking.

So, here in this case, Cerny says absolutely nothing at all about price. In fact, Sony has said something along these lines in a way or another for virtually every single console they've launched since the PS2. He says something that will get enthusiasts thinking "oh, it will be powerful... maybe a bit expensive, but powerful and well worth it". When they reveal the console, yup, it's powerful so it must be expensive... nope, it's actually cheaper than I thought. Boom, you don't really think if it's worth because it's actually cheaper than you thought, of course it's worth it.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
OK, let me put my advertising/marketing person hat for a second here: in advertising copy there's this thing called setup statement. The idea is that you say something fairly open ended with the intention of having the consumer project some expectation into it that you can, then, surpass in a positive way. When done well, it's really, really powerful because it primes the consumer, in this case on a pricing point that they personally feel is "worth it" and then "gifts" them in a way that feels very rewarding. Generates a lot of goodwill and creates an environment for impulse purchases (man, this is SUCH a deal) and, in the social media age, gets people talking.

So, here in this case, Cerny says absolutely nothing at all about price. In fact, Sony has said something along these lines in a way or another for virtually every single console they've launched since the PS2. He says something that will get enthusiasts thinking "oh, it will be powerful... maybe a bit expensive, but powerful and well worth it". When they reveal the console, yup, it's powerful so it must be expensive... nope, it's actually cheaper than I thought. Boom, you don't really think if it's worth because it's actually cheaper than you thought, of course it's worth it.
☝️☝️☝️

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

Yes this strategy and interpretation also make sense

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Lets pray for that ps4 moment once again =D
That is more than the PS4 moment.

We want a console with at least 10TF GPU on the latest architecture, hardware ray tracing support, 8 core Zen 2 CPU, very, very fast SSD with at least 1TB capacity, at least 16GB RAM, UHD Blu-ray, hardware 3D audio, good cooling and an improved controller for $399. All of that for a piece of hardware that lasts 6-7 years.

And here I am hopping for an option to upgrade my 1080Ti next year to a high end AMD/NVIDIA GPU with ray tracing support for no more than 750€.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Not sure if posted already, but there are some comments from Remedy in the Christmas issue of UK OPM, about PS5. Not really a lot of detail or anything too specific, mostly high level stuff you'd expect, with a focus on SSD.

There's some other quotes and the link, and a bit more is readable in the issue's sampler, at https://issuu.com/futurepublishing/docs/plt169.issuu

Good information maybe the rumored PS5 Remedy exclusive game.

We want a console with at least 10TF GPU on the latest architecture, hardware ray tracing support, 8 core Zen 2 CPU, very, very fast SSD with at least 1TB capacity, at least 16GB RAM, UHD Blu-ray, hardware 3D audio, good cooling and an improved controller for $399. All of that for a piece of hardware that lasts 6-7 years.

And here I am hopping for an option to upgrade my 1080Ti next year to a high end AMD/NVIDIA GPU with ray tracing support for no more than 750€.

If RDNA2 PC GPUs are competitive you will probably pay less for your new PC GPU. This is the same things competition and if AMD can't do it maybe Intel will be able to do it.

For UHD bluray users will probably need to download the software to be able to run a 4k UHD BR if the player launch a 4k BR. I don't think they will pay the license for every PS5 knowing it will be used only by a part of the users.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
less than 2 weeks to playstation 20 years anniversary and no word from sony, i guess the pessimist scenario of a twitter message and maybe a ps4 theme will happen.

Feb 10, 2018
T

Regarding Cernys price statement it could go either way, $399 would be pretty good if it's 10tflop, but you would also get ppl disappointed that they didn't do $499 and 12.8tflops.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
When you put it that way, makes it hard to believe $499 ever crossed sony's mind. PRO pushes the point even further.

Jan 20, 2019

That is what im hoping for, a 500$ system with 400$ price

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's usually a bad idea to just expect an exact repeat of the previous generation.

We could get a "$399 with a three year subscription" model and/or multiple other types of options and pricing.

As far as pricing goes, I'm not betting on any specific price point until we start getting more information.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think 499 will be the price, at least for PS5. If it is more expensive, many people will wait to buy it. If it is cheaper, loss will be bigger. So thats the middle ground.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if posted already, but there are some comments from Remedy in the Christmas issue of UK OPM, about PS5. Not really a lot of detail or anything too specific, mostly high level stuff you'd expect, with a focus on SSD.

There's some other quotes and the link, and a bit more is readable in the issue's sampler, at https://issuu.com/futurepublishing/docs/plt169.issuu
When it comes to the PS5, faster hardware is always appreciated and will make life easier in the short term. But it's the new SSD that really stands out; essentially streaming will become something that we don't really have to worry so much about and it will free up some extra CPU bandwidth in the process.
OK that is really interesting. It means the SSD streaming decompression will not be a burden neither for the CPU, nor for the main memory. So the custom SSD will definitely have its own hardware to decompress data leaving even more CPU and bandwidth for the actual game rendering. Basically everything described in the SSD patent.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So late in generation was already gameover and win for sony but I would consider strategy for future after xox launch
What future? With a jaguar cpu what future can have the X against the next wave of cpu on the console? The X was never intended to survive in the long term. It's a sort of relaunch of the Xbox imagine after the disaster left to the xbone base. The same Spencer claimed to not expect to sell well and neither was the Xbone X purpose.

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
OK that is really interesting. It means the SSD streaming decompression will not be a burden neither for the CPU, nor for the main memory. So the custom SSD will definitely have its own hardware to decompress data leaving even more CPU and bandwidth for the actual game rendering. Basically everything described in the SSD patent.

This is exactly like in the SSD patent and like I said my friend told when I show him the patent find by gofreak. I was ready to take a permaban if this has nothing to do with this patent.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Yep, the confirmation. That will be major advantage if only Sony have that, more than the SSD reading speed.

Feb 10, 2018

Bare in mind the "ps4 moment" was more impactful because of the X1's price, weaker spec and all its other blunders.

I doubt it will happen this upcoming gen.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
What future? With a jaguar cpu what future can have the X against the next wave of cpu on the console? The X was never intended to sell well or to survive in the long term. It's a sort of relaunch of the Xbox imagine after the disaster left to the xbone base. The same Spencer claimed to not expect to sell well and neither was the Xbone X purpose.
You either didn't get the context or didn't reply to my post ;)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I imagine that, by bypassing the CPU entirely and dumping assets decompressed onto memory, it also reduces any access contention between CPU and GPU during streaming, essentially reducing bandwidth used by the CPU overall.

As Spencer said, games will scale across devices.

If by that he means games will be designed for the One/X and get more, higher resolution and maybe slightly higher quality frames on Scarlett, sure. Good luck trying to go the other way around.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019
What future? With a jaguar cpu what future can have the X against the next wave of cpu on the console? The X was never intended to survive in the long term. It's a sort of relaunch of the Xbox imagine after the disaster left to the xbone base. The same Spencer claimed to not expect to sell well and neither was the Xbone X purpose.
As Spencer said, games will scale across devices.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't mean to be rude at all. But very respectfully, don't you think Spencer and the Xbox team are accounting for the discrepancy? They are not idiots
When Spencer has ever said the Xbox one X can handle next generation games? And we are talking of the same subjects who announced a lite version of Scarlet then retreated because wasn't technically possible? I mean, they are not new to such approximative talks.

Aug 26, 2019
When Spencer has ever said the Xbox one X can handle next generation games? And we are talking of the same subjects who announced a lite version of Scarlet then retreated because wasn't technically possible? I mean, they are not new to such stuff.
Matt Booty -

"When Scarlett launches, there will still be the Xbox One S and Xbox One X out there. We really need to approach that family of devices in the same way that we approach PC, where the content scales to meet the device. That's going to be the case for anybody. It's not like, if we roll back the clock 15 years, when a new device was out and people wanted you to take your old device and just put it in the closet.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Matt Booty -

"When Scarlett launches, there will still be the Xbox One S and Xbox One X out there. We really need to approach that family of devices in the same way that we approach PC, where the content scales to meet the device. That's going to be the case for anybody. It's not like, if we roll back the clock 15 years, when a new device was out and people wanted you to take your old device and just put it in the closet.
They said more or less the same thing at the xbone launch about the 360. In any case, it's technically impossible to the X keep the pace of the next generation hardware.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019
They said the same thing at the xbone launch about the 360.
Ok, so you're going on the assumption that they're not going to stick to their word? They seem serious about this and the reception to it has not been negative at all. I don't see them changing anything unless it hurts their model, which I don't think it will.

Xbox isn't in the same court as Sony anymore. They're playing an entirely different ball game.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Ok, so you're going on the assumption that they're not going to stick to their word? They seem serious about this and the reception to it has not been negative at all. I don't see them changing anything unless it hurts their model, which I don't think it will.
Did you read this thread?The CPU and the I/O are radically evolved. The X can't substain such evolution in the data transmission and in the cpu calculation. The architecture is too dated to survive.

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
But then how are 3rd parties going to develop cross-gen games?
We'll get cross-gen games for the first few years like we always do, but those games wont be the new innovative games unless developers are willing to spend the extra time and money on the PS5/Scarlett versions to the point where those versions have exclusive features.
The whole point people here are trying to make is that as long as your game is cross-gen the game will have to be developed with the current-gen's limitations in mind, meaning it will never be a true next-gen game taking full advantage of the PS5 and Scarlett's specs.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
OK that is really interesting. It means the SSD streaming decompression will not be a burden neither for the CPU
Calling it a 'burden' on the CPU is more than a little understatement. A modern x86 core at 4+ Ghz is lucky to do over a 100-150MB/s in common lossless algorithms. Assuming perfect multi-core scaling you'd still need a fully occupied 32 core ThreadRipper 'just' to keep up with a NVME class drive.
And that's not even accounting for Win32 I/O itself easily using up an entire core if you'd want to max-out the drive just managing uncompressed reads.

If there's hardware decompression that can keep up with SSDs at those speeds, that'll be a complete game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.