• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
TBH that's likely a massive mistake to make. The reason why Microsoft is saying that they'll continue to support Xbox One consoles is that they will likely announce that Xbox One consoles will be able to play Scarlett games via XCloud. Yes it will cannibalise console sales of Scarlett, but it's increasingly clear that Console sales are becoming less and less important.
I'd say MS is just going a different route. Console sales are not becoming less and less important for Sony and Nintendo.

All it will take is the first next gen only game from a studio like GG or SSM to make the PS4 seem like an afterthought.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say MS is just going a different route. Console sales are not becoming less and less important for Sony and Nintendo.

All it will take is the first next gen only game from a studio like GG or SSM to make the PS4 seem like an afterthought.

Yep at least for next gen .
Gen after next gen it will be less important for Sony .
Still that will be at least 7 years from now .

Aug 26, 2019
It won't be hypothetical. There will be real world examples of next gen only games doing revolutionary stuff the cross-gen games don't.
Of course. What I'm trying to say here is that if the casual gamer gets a good Halo game at 4K/60FPS with some neat bells and whistles, they won't worry about the hypothetical improvements that could have been. Emphasis on the "good Halo game."

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Of course. What I'm trying to say here is that if the casual gamer gets a good Halo game at 4K/60FPS with some neat bells and whistles, they won't worry about the hypothetical improvements that could have been. Emphasis on the "good Halo game."

This depends entirely on how Halo Infinite turns out, along with the various next-gen only games. If there ends up being a substantial number of PS5 exclusives that are both built heavily around the capabilities of the SSD and properly marketed, it's entirely possible that Halo Infinite could end up appearing underwhelming compared to them. And even if Halo gets away with it by still being a good Halo game, what about all the other games (assuming Scarlett really does get nothing but cross-gen games for a couple of years, which is hardly guaranteed)?

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
This depends entirely on how Halo Infinite turns out, along with the various next-gen only games. If there ends up being a substantial number of PS5 exclusives that are both built heavily around the capabilities of the SSD and properly marketed, it's entirely possible that Halo Infinite could end up appearing underwhelming compared to them. And even if Halo gets away with it by still being a good Halo game, what about all the other games (assuming Scarlett really does get nothing but cross-gen games for a couple of years, which is hardly guaranteed)?
To add to this, people overestimate how big of a franchise Halo is outside the US.

The big problem MS has ww is that most of the properties it has don't appeal much.

Oct 25, 2017
I think that is something that would just benefit Sony a lot, but it wouldn't necessarily detract from MS. A high quality Halo game with proper buildup will draw people in regardless of what is around it. Gears 5 pushed Game Pass quite a bit, for example.

With the type of ecosystem MS is building, it is becoming more about quantity. So, even if the majority of their 1st party games are cross-gen, they'll be looked at as just part of a larger whole rather than a specific piece. Of course, as always, the games have to be quality for it to work. They can't release poorly received games.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Just a random question but I figured it's not worth a separate topic.

What's Next-Gen likely to be on the coming consoles? Is it mostly a graphics boost? I've honestly been rather disappointed with the evolution of games over the past few decades. It's like gameplay/mechanics takes a seat behind graphics most of the time. We're still often looking at pitiful AI in games for instance.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Just a random question but I figured it's not worth a separate topic.

What's Next-Gen likely to be on the coming consoles? Is it mostly a graphics boost? I've honestly been rather disappointed with the evolution of games over the past few decades. It's like gameplay/mechanics takes a seat behind graphics most of the time. We're still often looking at pitiful AI in games for instance.

The relatively much more powerful CPU and having a very fast SSD as the new baseline should result into some impressive improvements, but it wouldn't surprise me if the start of the next gen is more a continuation of current late gen games. It usually takes a few years to really see those results. But still, next gen looks to be a way more solid and powerful package than the current gen so I'm optimistic.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

I am not sure from which episode of KF it is but Imran is saying in that video that he heard the next Assassin's Creed games will be revealed in February.
It doesnt necessarily mean PlayStation meeting, but its much earlier than usual.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017

I am not sure from which episode of KF it is but Imran is saying in that video that he heard the next Assassin's Creed games will be revealed in February.
It doesnt necessarily mean PlayStation meeting, but its much earlier than usual.

Mm for ps meeting could be? That would be cool seeing assasin creed running on the ps5 i think the rumours were that it was cross gen too

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So here's a bit of interesting tidbit since we're at a drought of news. Shuhei Yoshida was recently in Malaysia for a local gaming convention and word is, apparently he offered my college to purchase "development kits" from them. He didn't specify what development kits, but given the timing, I can't imagine it being anything else than what we're all thinking, LOL. This ties pretty well into the new SIE support studio opening too since they'll definitely be hiring new talent. My college has a relatively large game development scene and is always involved in any game events in the country so no surprise we were offered.

Don't ask me for specs of the dev kits. My college hasn't purchased any and even if they did, a student like me is unlikely to get that information :P
Nice, and damn!! And look out, you'll probably get 200 followers and 30 pms after this, lol.

It is cool they are reaching out to universities.with dev kits.

If you can see one and just describe it, no pictures, we'll take that. See if it does or still looks like the rumored dev kit floating around.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It could also be for MS conference. Their recent interviews seem to suggest they'll also reveal their console early.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, and damn!! And look out, you'll probably get 200 followers and 30 pms after this, lol.

It is cool they are reaching out to universities.with dev kits.

If you can see one and just describe it, no pictures, we'll take that. See if it does or still looks like the rumored dev kit floating around.
Unlikely because I have very little info to share. It's just what I heard, but sure, if I hear anything else more specific, I'll post it here

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
AC Vikings. Bring it.

ACIV was a great launch window game for PS4. Having a big open world game like that on day 1 is a big deal to me.

Yeah, was brilliant(and cross gen).

I'd prefer both companies went all in on next gen games but I think divergent strategies is best for us customers.

Otherwise we just get 2 near identical boxes with 2 near identical software line ups (which in practice is probably what we'll get anyway, regardless of what they're saying now)

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
I'd expect we'll see a lot of rumors about Scarlett dev kit specs in the next few weeks. They started going out to more external folks recently, but they're definitely not final kits. Microsoft is also being clever this time to stop leaks, but I'll jump in here if I see anything that lines up to what I've seen and heard.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I'd expect we'll see a lot of rumors about Scarlett dev kit specs in the next few weeks. They started going out to more external folks recently, but they're definitely not final kits. Microsoft is also being clever this time to stop leaks, but I'll jump in here if I see anything that lines up to what I've seen and heard.

Thank you! :)

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Are these devkits based on PC parts running the Scarlett SDK?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
thank you for hopping by and for future replies.
i was wondering:
a few days ago you said in a tweet " Microsoft won't be doing any Project Scarlett news at XO19 tomorrow afaik. So nothing about 12 teraflops etc", was that just in a reference to the scorpio reveal or is 12TF something you actually heard?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So here's a bit of interesting tidbit since we're at a drought of news. Shuhei Yoshida was recently in Malaysia for a local gaming convention and word is, apparently he offered my college to purchase "development kits" from them. He didn't specify what development kits, but given the timing, I can't imagine it being anything else than what we're all thinking, LOL. This ties pretty well into the new SIE support studio opening too since they'll definitely be hiring new talent. My college has a relatively large game development scene and is always involved in any game events in the country so no surprise we were offered.

Don't ask me for specs of the dev kits. My college hasn't purchased any and even if they did, a student like me is unlikely to get that information :P
MMU or LKW?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

i get the impression that MS seems behind sony as far as dev kits go. perhaps this contributes to why there seems to be a lot more discussion and info surrounding sony than MS and this is about to change as you say

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, was brilliant(and cross gen).

I'd prefer both companies went all in on next gen games but I think divergent strategies is best for us customers.

Otherwise we just get 2 near identical boxes with 2 near identical software line ups (which in practice is probably what we'll get anyway, regardless of what they're saying now)
Yeah, I think it is fine for them to explore different routes. It is just that people get caught up in one way being "better" than the other. There are pros/cons to whatever direction the Big 3 go. It is just a matter of which you prefer.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
The original 2019 ps5 launch plan from klee you linked, you and I both agree it is accurate, the first thing that gets locked down is silicon, so the chances of the silicon changes after they made the decision to change the launch to 1 year later is extremely slim, so yes the tech they would of got if they stuck to there original release plan would be nearly a year more architecturally advanced then anything from amd on the PC gpu market,
If xbox panned scarlett for a fall 2020 launch all along then I don't see why they also can't get tech that the PC market won't see for another year.
Unless of course AMD's tech is the same for 2021

Yes, Klee told us the release was scheduled for 2019. He also told us the plans were scrapped in 2017. Are you suggesting silicon hasn't been touched since then?
And you really need stop with your general accusations when you see somthing that you don't like, first u accuse of console waring, then strawman and now bad faith.
Irony. This whole new narrative of your started cause of the cross gen/lockhart discussion.

Never did I say either console was a year ahead. All I am aware of was what rumors had been corroborated here. Personally I think they both have the same tech.

Don't fall for the bait.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
Nice. Can we expect to see more rumors about PS5 dev kit specs as well?

Aug 26, 2019
Didn't someone working on Diablo IV said February as well? Am I making this up?

The Diablo stuff was for a series of behind-the-scenes content, I believe. Of course, that doesn't rule it out from being at the PS5 reveal or for the PS5 reveal being in February.

We're also excited about a cool update we're planning for you in February of next year. It will be the first in a series of quarterly updates where we'll share behind-the-scenes looks at our progress going forward.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The Diablo stuff was for a series of behind-the-scenes content, I believe. Of course, that doesn't rule it out from being at the PS5 reveal or for the PS5 reveal being in February.
"We are working closely with sony on a next generation version" should work in that context + early footage of the next gen version

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
After loving AC Odyssey, I am so ready for a next gen AC game.

Aug 26, 2019
January-March is by far my least favorite time of the year (in general, not just gaming). Next-gen reveals would make it much easier to get through.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
He didn't specify what development kits, but given the timing, I can't imagine it being anything else than what we're all thinking, LOL.
Actually given the timing it would more likely be current gen kits. Devkits aren't sold when they're in alpha/beta stage, those are loan-only (and 'free'). The purchase becomes available from 1.0 onwards, and that's usually quite close to launch (there were even instances of it happening after launch - like with the PSP).

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

It gonna be a cross-gen title and not representative of next-gen like Black flag so don't get much hope for it. they just gonna showcase how PS5 is great improving the current-gen game in Native 4K with RT effects and other minor things but it won't have next-gen graphics with new or overhauled engine. I hope to be wrong though.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I would go ahead and wager that 99% of the supposed leaks so far were just guesswork.
It's an interesting question - how many 'leaks' were actually there to date. A 100? A 1000?
99% would put the number of non-guess work really low - like we may be talking about a single actual leak (which presumably would be whoever first talked about Lockhart/Anaconda by name, as that's the one thing that is not a guess).

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

I don't expect next-gen consoels to have final devkits right now for both Scarlett and PS5. Even the leaked PS5 devkit was labeled Prototype I which means there will be at least another before the final devkit which will be distributed after the console reveal and nearing release when the final specs are locked.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

Nice, have heard some interesting rumblings surrounding the dev kit rollout and approach.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I don't expect next-gen consoels to have final devkits right now for both Scarlett and PS5. Even the leaked PS5 devkit was labeled Prototype I which means there will be at least another before the final devkit which will be distributed after the console reveal and nearing release when the final specs are locked.

Even final dev kits are labeled prototype:

DUH-D1000AA_-_back.png

I wouldn't be shocked if the leaked 'V' PS5 dev kit was final spec for the RAM/APU but not in other ways like the case. For example it seems the January 2013 PS4 dev kit had two cameras on the front but only one on the final dev kit.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I love how XCloud is going to be this enormous revolutionary ace in the hole for MS, despite the fact that both Google and Sony clearly haven't been successful doing the same thing.

We all need to accept that most people, especially those that don't buy consoles, do not have the internet to sustain streaming.

Cloud gaming is a niche, and it will remain one for a long time.
You forget the mention about playing over lte/5g. Negates you're whole idea of it being niche when the experience is to be virtually the same on any mobile device (Android atm in testing)

Sorry, not sorry, but this is very narrow minded and negative way to think that an initiative to bring console quality gaming to people with only mobile devices across the world is niche and basic level stupid.
what else do you downplay because it isn't your thing?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Even final dev kits are labeled prototype:

DUH-D1000AA_-_back.png

I wouldn't be shocked if the leaked 'V' PS5 dev kit was final spec for the RAM/APU but not in other ways like the case. For example it seems the January 2013 PS4 dev kit had two cameras on the front but only one on the final dev kit.

The PS5 devkit was clearly labeled Prototype I and not just Prototype (Prototype mostly means this is not a dedicated PS4 or PS5 console so it can not be sold as customer product and it is even highlighted next to that) and if there is something prone to change for the final hardware then its the GPU clock and/ or the RAM amount and this happened for both PS4 (doubled VRAM) and XB1 (increased GPU clock) so this is mostly not the final devkit that was leaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.