• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Try flipping your PS4 upside down and tell us how that goes.

No.

Did you watch the video? I was asking this because the one in the video who posted the photo shwoed the rubber parts on the top of the devkit which may work as a support to flip the console and support its weight and he even showed that in a 3D video.

If you flip it, it will probably fill even faster with dust, since the ground is usually prime dust gathering point.

Yeah this is what scares me even more. Then why those rubber parts exist for then?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Did you watch the video? I was asking this because the one in the video who posted the photo shwoed the rubber parts on the top of the devkit which may work as a support to flip the console and support its weight and he even showed that in a 3D video.
They looked more like stands for another devkit to sit on top of it.

He says rubber, but I see no rubber there, just the concave indentation.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
They looked more like stands for another devkit to sit on top of it.

He says rubber, but I see no rubber there, just the concave indentation.
Now that you mentioend yet, those parts seem kinda hollow to me. Then again why would devs slot or encase multiple devkits on top of each others? To gain space? But this gonna make the whole cluster even hotter and the bottom console gonna suffer from overweight too. I can't find a logical explanation for any of those.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Now that you mentioend yet, those parts seem kinda hollow to me. Then again why would devs slot or encase multiple devkits on top of each others? To gain space? But this gonna make the whole cluster even hotter and the bottom console gonna suffer from overweight too. I can't find a logical explanation for any of those.
Yes, to save space... It's how other devkits work as well.

Coiote

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I might have to skip PS5. That design doesn't look cat proof. My cats will murder my console by resting on the middle of the console while I try to play.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I might have to skip PS5. That design doesn't look cat proof. My cats will murder my console by resting on the middle of the console while I try to play.

The problem is not cats, the problem if someone is living Joe's apartment.
Someone in reddit PS4 posted a NSFW picture of the invaded entrails of his PS4. No need to look for it.
No need to even imagine the PS5 or this devkit after one day only.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Yeah but this devkit seems to be in a drawer or shelf, so there is no space to gain. Also I don't imagine offices of gaming companies haveing enough space to build a tower of devkits to gain space. This would paradoxical .

As someone who worked in a video game office not so long ago, building towers out of consoles and dev kits is almost tradition. So much so that IT used to yell at people doing it because they'd cause some consoles to overheat and die (Xbox One's don't like having things stacked on top of them).

Edit: think the craziest tower I saw was 4 X1s all on-top of each other because someone was solo testing network latency things.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who worked in a video game office not so long ago, building towers out of consoles and dev kits is almost tradition. So much so that IT used to yell at people doing it because they'd cause some consoles to overheat and die (Xbox One's don't like having things stacked on top of them).

Edit: think the craziest tower I saw was 4 X1s all on-top of each other because someone was solo testing network latency things.

Yeah, this is what I was talking about. I don't think this is a good idea to start with. With the PS5 clock speeds, Sony seem to have opened the console from every inch with those air vents too cool things down. building a tower of those devkits will just cause a fire in the entire building, God forbids, not just ovearheating.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
PSVR 2 is rumoured to have eye tracking (they've demo'd it outside of VR and have VR patents for Eyetracking, and their Head of R&D was talking about how eye tracking is going to be a game changer for VR), so I feel like Sony would include it.
Sony's had hw acceleration for use cases like foveated rendering since 2016. While that approach could lead to a variant of VRS(a superset really) I wouldn't take it for granted on the idea of eye tracking alone.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I may get DS but won't touch it till it gets updated for PS5. I don't want to get spoiled before the real deal.
Then why get it at al... surely by the time the PS5 comes along it will be at least half the price... along with whatever extras that would have been released between now and then. At least that's what I am hoping. I've got this little fantasy where I get DS, TLOU2, FF7R, and Cyberpunk all on the PS5 for under $150.

It should be interesting being that I only buy digital.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Then why get it at al... surely by the time the PS5 comes along it will be at least half the price... along with whatever extras that would have been released between now and then. At least that's what I am hoping. I've got this little fantasy where I get DS, TLOU2, FF7R, and Cyberpunk all on the PS5 for under $150.

I missed many Sony games in pre-order so I missed all the pre-order exclusive items and Sony never sells them after unlike S-E or Capcom. This time I won't miss any bonus.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Maybe they'll have an Enhanced PS4 Games Sale on the day of the PS5 launch.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I wound't take any chances with TLOU2, DS and Cyberpunk. The spoilers will be out there, it will just ruin the experience

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hope they keep some variation of the dev-kit "V" for the final console.

It's only a matter of time before we get the leaks everyone is clamoring for, there's finally getting to be enough leaked information out there people in the know are getting comfortable leaking without it easily being traced back to one source.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I agree with what he's saying, and I believe he's saying that no matter how good everything else is (including what you are talking about) te IHS is stil the chokepoint. How quickly can that heat be moved from the IHS to the heatsink? No matter how good whatever you put on top the IHS is, be it a larger heat sink or even liquid cooling, the IHS generally heats up faster than you can cool it.

Not really true.

The basic equation for heat transfer is:

Q = U A Delta T

Where,
Q = heat transferred in Watts
A = is the surface area for heat exchange
Delta T = is the corrected average temperature differential, which is rather a bit more complicated than just the difference between the metal surface temp or core temp and bulk air temperature
and U = the overall heat transfer coefficient which is a combination function of the reciprocal of the individual thermal resistances of the system.

What you have to consider are the various mechanisms for heat exchange at work. You have:
  • Heat transfers between the processor and the PCB - via conduction
  • Heat transferred between the processor and the metal block cover (connected to the phase-change device) - via conduction
  • Heat transfer between the metal block cover and the phase change device, e.g. heat pipes or gap chamber - via conduction and convection, as well as phase change of water within the device.
  • Heat transfer at the condensing end of the phase change device with the finned metal heat sink - via phase-change, convection and conduction
  • Heat transfer between the finned metal and the film of air local to the metal surface and then between the film (the thickness and thermal properties of which are a function of the fluid flow characteristics) and bulk air fluid
In and given cooling solution, where the device is actually working and cooling the processor, the above heat flows ALL BALANCE.

In any instance in time where there is an imbalance in the above heat flows, there will be thermal accumulation, increasing temps until the driving force for heat exchange, i.e. temperature differential, is high enough to reach thermal equilibrium — thus the heat flows will eventually balance.

So there's no possible way any console or computing device cooler is designed such that you cannot remove heat fast enough to stop the IHS heating at steady operation of the device. You may see this during a transient, but eventually a thermal equilibrium will be reached.

Anyway, I think this is all getting a little OT now.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I don't think I trust the V devkit leak.
It says prototype 1 despite not being the actual first dev kit.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
HAO5mz4.png

looks okay to me..

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An indie developer in the dev-kit thread already answered the prototype question:

Note that I have absolutely no idea if this is real or not, I know nothing about the PS5. I was answering a question when someone asked if it was common for hardware like this to say "prototype" on them.

That said, who knows what "prototype-1" refers to if this is real, it doesn't necessarily refer to the actual first prototype. This could be the first prototype of this revision. This could be a prototype of this case. This could be a prototype for trade shows labeled to keep track of things. Who knows?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Not really true.

The basic equation for heat transfer is:

Q = U A Delta T

Where,
Q = heat transferred in Watts
A = is the surface area for heat exchange
Delta T = is the corrected average temperature differential, which is rather a bit more complicated than just the difference between the metal surface temp or core temp and bulk air temperature
and U = the overall heat transfer coefficient which is a combination function of the reciprocal of the individual thermal resistances of the system.

What you have to consider are the various mechanisms for heat exchange at work. You have:
  • Heat transfers between the processor and the PCB - via conduction
  • Heat transferred between the processor and the metal block cover (connected to the phase-change device) - via conduction
  • Heat transfer between the metal block cover and the phase change device, e.g. heat pipes or gap chamber - via conduction and convection, as well as phase change of water within the device.
  • Heat transfer at the condensing end of the phase change device with the finned metal heat sink - via phase-change, convection and conduction
  • Heat transfer between the finned metal and the film of air local to the metal surface and then between the film (the thickness and thermal properties of which are a function of the fluid flow characteristics) and bulk air fluid
In and given cooling solution, where the device is actually working and cooling the processor, the above heat flows ALL BALANCE.

In any instance in time where there is an imbalance in the above heat flows, there will be thermal accumulation, increasing temps until the driving force for heat exchange, i.e. temperature differential, is high enough to reach thermal equilibrium — thus the heat flows will eventually balance.

So there's no possible way any console or computing device cooler is designed such that you cannot remove heat fast enough to stop the IHS heating at steady operation of the device. You may see this during a transient, but eventually a thermal equilibrium will be reached.

Anyway, I think this is all getting a little OT now.
Great post, and thanks for that... I still have an issue though.

Ok, from what you are saying, eventually everything balances out. But that's not really indicative of how cooling solutions work in general. Being that there are restrictions.

Sure if we had a big enough IHS, a cold enough block cover, an efficient enough heat sink/radiator and big enough fans, we can dissipate a significantly larger watt of heat. But within the confines of these systems, something in that chan of components presents that imbalance. And processors have to work within a certain temp margin as you know; so once that imbalance hits, something has to give.

With PCs, they can just throttle te chips, reducing how much heat its putting out so that the system gets back within balance. With consoles, they don't have that luxury, so they try and build a system that can keep the chips at a fixed clock for a very very very long time barring any external factors or component failures.

I tend to look at cooling in a much simpler way. From bottom to top,going from hottest to coldest. So say Step 1 is the chip, 2 the IHS, 3 the block, and 4 the heat sink...etc. Everything after one is basically playing catch up. say for instance a chip generates 300W of heat if the IHS/block connection is somehow able to dissipate all of that 300W instantly, that chip technically would never get hot, the heat energy would just be transferred. Because its heat is being removed as fast as it can make it. Unfortunately, we don't have a system that can do that.

This is why I say that the cooling solution cannot remove the heat as fast as its being made, because it's not preventing the temps within the chip from climbing. Maybe how I understand all this is very wrong, in which case I would just say I appreciate the time and detail you put into your response and if I am totally wrong just point say so and I'll take correction :)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Note that I have absolutely no idea if this is real or not, I know nothing about the PS5. I was answering a question when someone asked if it was common for hardware like this to say "prototype" on them.

That said, who knows what "prototype-1" refers to if this is real, it doesn't necessarily refer to the actual first prototype. This could be the first prototype of this revision. This could be a prototype of this case. This could be a prototype for trade shows labeled to keep track of things. Who knows?
thanks for the explanation.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

No worries, you mentioning the prototype terminology being mentioned with legit dev kits in the past felt worthy of bringing up in here. Didn't intend it to sound like it was defacto proof the pic is real.

With Photoshop and 3D printing, most anything can be faked at this point.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
I believe the V shaped design is far too unique to be something for devkits only. I also think Sony will go with a separate CPU and GPU this time.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
https://m.twitch.tv/videos/496199730?t=5h24m20s

During the EGX 2019 Twitch stream, Richard from Digital Foundry just confirmed that the PS5 devkit's codename is "Prospero" according to what he heard from his own sources.

So this means the leak from Gizmodo was correct.
I... Well, I might regret this. I'm not trying to be a dick, but has Richard ever give out actual new info on next-gen and not just refer to another rumor we've talked about to death?

As far as I remember, the spec-speculation that DF did pre-RDNA announcement wasn't particularly different than the more technical posts in the previous OTs. And just like us, they were dismissive of fast SSDs and RT support (which they arguably still are for that last one). They were just as behind as the rest of us on Lockhart. And as reliant on Komachi's tweets.

I don't doubt Richard's industry connections, probably knows more than he's shared, but I'm unsure that he has provided much in terms of accurate insider info so far. And to be fair, I don't think he ever made it seem that he was going to, so...

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Wow, that dev kit picture is definitely interesting for what they are trying to do with their thermals with how big that case is and how many freaking vents are in that thing. While the retail case isn't likely to look exactly like that, it could certainly still be quite large and have a ton of vents. It does almost seem like Sony may be trying to reach their performance targets by just clocking the heck out of it. Future PS5 owners should definitely be on Defcon 5 alert for large consoles that may run loud and collect dust easily at this point :)

Brilliant!

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
didnt AMD already confirm APU design for PS5 already?
I don't recall. The latest wired article does mention the CPU and GPU separately. (Like, they don't say there is a separate CPU and GPU, but they write it like that.)
Either way, I think the V shape's gonna stay with us and it implies Sony put serious thought into cooling.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the V shaped design is far too unique to be something for devkits only. I also think Sony will go with a separate CPU and GPU this time.

Why would they do that ? There's litterally no benefit since it's the same vendor for both the cpu and gpu.
That'd only raise the price and the complexity.

And dev kits aren't an indicator of a cooling solution. Look at the PS4 dev kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.