• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
you mean you want them to use millions of Dollars to make it for you possible to just fire it up one or two times and then remove it again from your harddisk??

@ Sony:
concentrate on proper PS4 BC but let go of all the rest. Then - listen to all of that exaggerated Whining of People, copy and paste all of it then let it read out by a AI Voice put it on a CD and sell it with some nice Cheese - perfection!

Or have Capcom just release a port for PS5. I'm fine either way. Puzzle fighter is a game I always want on my system. It's not just a fire up once or twice and done game. It's like Tetris. It is eternal.

Feb 10, 2018
I always thought that 2 ghz was ridiculous and that even 1.6 ghz could be too high. This great image gives me even more confidence. Around 1.4 seems to be the sweet spot for me. All the predictions I see seem to suffer from being anchored to 2 ghz

Didn't the rx580 have a power draw of about 175w and the 1x ended up having a max draw of about 170w for the whole system?

No Idea of this dude's credibility, but he claims to have some scoops:

Article

- Zen 2+ for both PS5 and Scarlett with more efficient cache
- PS5 might have a slight CPU clockspeed advantage
- Scarlett might have a slight Ray Tracing Advantage
- Possible Chiplet design for both

If the PS5 was planned for nov 2019 it would make sense the ps5 having older tech then a console planned in nov 2020

Maybe Sony redesigned its cooling system and uped the clocks when they realised they could not make 2019.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
you mean you want them to use millions of Dollars to make it for you possible to just fire it up one or two times and then remove it again from your harddisk??

@ Sony:
concentrate on proper PS4 BC but let go of all the rest. Then - listen to all of that exaggerated Whining of People, copy and paste all of it then let it read out by a AI Voice put it on a CD and sell it with some nice Cheese - perfection!

Screw PS3 but there's no need to let go of the rest.

PS1/PS2 emulation should be on PS5. It's already a joke that it's not on PS4 to a meaningful degree.

Sep 28, 2019
Screw PS3 but there's no need to let go of the rest.

PS1/PS2 emulation should be on PS5. It's already a joke that it's not on PS4 to a meaningful degree.

but is there a real ps1/2 Game what you would play through just like an Uncharted 4 or even 5. And i mean going back to it every evening until you beat it? Realy the most People would not.
There are for shure the ones who would actually enjoy it on daily basis but in my Eyes it is a waste of ressources. Ok maybe an exception like you said with ps1 or even 2 since there should beenough raw power in PS5 to handle those games even with an somewhat unefficient BC for those 2 systems

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Has AMD said anything about supporting integer scaling in its GPUs? Would be a nice feature for sub-native games

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
letmeinklee.png

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Article

Scarlett: better RT, lower FPS.
PS5: better details and higher FPS, worse RT.
🤔

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I think it was briefly mentioned in various threads.

No, i am not talking about PS4 BC for PS5, I am talking about the full BC for PS1, PS2, PS3, those require intensive optimised emulation and not hardware based BC like from PS4 to PS5.
All it was just ambition or hope from users like me. i neevr saw this rumor posted before.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
No, i am not talking about PS4 BC for PS5, I am talking about the full BC for PS1, PS2, PS3, those require intensive optimised emulation and not hardware based BC like from PS4 to PS5.
All it was just ambition or hope from users like me. i neevr saw this rumor posted before.
Yeah I know, that "rumor" was briefly talked about on here in various threads

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

I missed this. Thanks for that. That would be so damn insane if this happens and especially if all games get enhanced too.
Imagine all games from PS1 to PS4 played in Native 4K at 60 FPS with improved textures, AA, AF etc...?
🤤

Last edited:

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
just checking in real quick. I'm having some of my mom's homemade Tonkotsu Ramen and Pork Buns. Later on imma get FFFFUUUUUUKKKKKKED UP on midnight margaritas fam.

I'll talk to.'y'all later

Bye

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Article

wow lots of good info here.

zen 2+ could mean zen 2 on 7nm+. they also talk about chiplet design for the apu. samsung and tsmc are both in the running to manufacture parts so 7nm euv might also be on the cards.

really exciting stuff for team 12-14 tflops.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
wow lots of good info here.

zen 2+ could mean zen 2 on 7nm+. they also talk about chiplet design for the apu. samsung and tsmc are both in the running to manufacture parts so 7nm euv might also be on the cards.

really exciting stuff for team 12-14 tflops.

Is there any reason to believe any of this? I thought we already knew it wasn't chiplets.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Also a tin foil hat time *

1. PS5 and Scarlett have exact same GPU and CUs
2. PS5 is 100 mhz higher clocked
3. PS5 has reduced CPU cache for higher CPU clocks
4. Scarlett has Microsoft special sauce of Ray Tracing goodness. The cache on CPU is also higher making for an overall slightly larger APU

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
While the talk coming through about the potential of the upcoming generation is exciting, I cant help but think it will start at a new price tier for entry.
I just cant see all this spec and features (Zen, SSD, Raytracing at hardware) starting at less than $499 at the absolute lowest.
Maybe they, being sony and microsoft will introduce a new subsidised payment system, not unlike smart phones and contracts are... That wouldnt be all that bad to be honest.

Id love to see an honest breakdown of costs to see what the minimum viable price option might be.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
While the talk coming through about the potential of the upcoming generation is exciting, I cant help but think it will start at a new price tier for entry.
I just cant see all this spec and features (Zen, SSD, Raytracing at hardware) starting at less than $499 at the absolute lowest.
Maybe they, being sony and microsoft will introduce a new subsidised payment system, not unlike smart phones and contracts are... That wouldnt be all that bad to be honest.

Id love to see an honest breakdown of costs to see what the minimum viable price option might be.
MS already have something like that i think

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
The core concern is thermally induced performance impacts. Not thermal design margin. Of course you'll design to have a good safety margin, but the delta performance impact is transitive to whatever solution you create. You don't magically erase the implementation benefit of an alternate solution by including a margin in your design.

Sorry I might be being a little dense but I didn't understand anything you just said here. Are you able to rephrase?

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
You can pretty much ignore "scoops" like the above. No one is leaking anything with which to try snd piece things together. Trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.