• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
You almost make it sound like it has a 'CGI effect' in terms of the flawless IQ and whatnot. I hope we get to see this thing at the reveal, but if it's as early as you said...

No. It's not quite like CGI, but it way better than current stuff. I so hope that it shows up in a reveal so you can see it.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Why resort to CB while they can do Native? Native + RT + heavy details + huge open world + massive destruction in 30 FPS is much more welcome than scamping any of those features to hit 60 FPS. After all it's a RPG and not competitive MP game.

Kleegamefan you also tlaked about massive destruction. Did this game use this chaos enigne made by Epic which is released for devs to use to any extent they want:

Or are the devs using their own destruction ssytem?

I don't know.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Why resort to CB while they can do Native? Native + RT + heavy details + huge open world + massive destruction in 30 FPS is much more welcome than scamping any of those features to hit 60 FPS. After all it's a RPG and not competitive MP game.

Kleegamefan you also tlaked about massive destruction. Did this game use this chaos enigne made by Epic which is released for devs to use to any extent they want:

Or are the devs using their own destruction ssytem?

i didnt say i rather do checkeboard 60.
i wanted checkerboard while pushing for the highest graphical complexity possible.
then again it seems like going by klee that the game looks amazing regardless.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
i wanted checkerboard while pushing for the highest graphical complexity possible.

Yeah and for the best. Seems next-gen is very capable.
I think they will go CB someday when they feel those consoels won't be able to push the more advanced graphics in the upcoming years so they had to work on some compensations. Juts like now.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
In the end, I really think that you guys will be way more impressed by the games than the specs.

I was.
I was already impressed by the specs confirmed so far, but everything you described seeing behind the scenes...

giphy.gif

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Why resort to CB while they can do Native?

Because you can't tell the difference between good reconstruction and native. It takes DF analysis for people to be able to tell in games like DMC when it is done well. And even then they initially got it wrong when they analysed the demo and said it was native! Games have so much post processing these days that you and your naked eye will be unable to differentiate between reconstruction artefacts and those effects.

I wish some developer would do a blinded test of good reconstruction and native so people can stop emperor new clothesing the difference. Because I will guarantee you that a blinded test of really good reconstruction like DMC vs native in normal viewing conditions (not DF pixel crawling) would show that people cannot tell the difference.

Why waste half your GPU on something people won't even be able to see?

I have never, ever, understood the weird ideology of the "native or die" crowd, but apparently some people just want worse looking games I guess. *shrugs*

The best looking games of next gen will use reconstruction.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Because you can't tell the difference between good reconstruction and native. It takes DF analysis for people to be able to tell in games like DMC when it is done well. And even then they initially got it wrong when they analysed the demo and said it was native! Games have so much post processing these days that you and your naked eye will be unable to differentiate between reconstruction artefacts and those effects.

I wish some developer would do a blinded test of good reconstruction and native so people can stop emperor new clothesing the difference. Because I will guarantee you that a blinded test of really good reconstruction like DMC vs native in normal viewing conditions (not DF pixel crawling) would show that people cannot tell the difference.

Why waste half your GPU on something people won't even be able to see?

I have never, ever, understood the weird ideology of the "native or die" crowd, but apparently some people just want worse looking games I guess. *shrugs*

The best looking games of next gen will use reconstruction.

If they run at 60fps, at least.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
One thing I found really interesting was the quality of the shadows. I especially noticed there were some approx 2-3ft high bushes. When they were swaying in the wind they were casting moving shadows with fucking PERFECT detail. No shimmering or stairstepping at all.

And I am talking about a bush with maybe 75-100 branches and 100s of leaves on it!
Casting. Perfect.Fucking. Shadows.

Keep in mind this was just a random, whateverthefuck bush!

Also

The overall picture quality was astoundingly solid....like it used some super duper AA.

The game is full 2160p, but again, has no shimmering whatsoever. Just a really solid resolve to the graphics.

I'm sorry I can't articulate all this better but it's really hard to explain for some reason.
Hi Klee!

You keep mentioning GDC-presentations, but maybe some videos would help you articulate the differences better?

The Heretic

The Chaos tech-demo

Troll - Ray Tracing tech-demo

How do the character models compare to The Heretic? The destruction to Chaos? The ray-tracing to something like Troll?

Just some examples. I am a believer, btw - the jump will be huge!

Are these demos (eventually) possible on next-gen?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Hi Klee!

You keep mentioning GDC-presentations, but maybe some videos would help you articulate the differences better?

The Heretic

The Chaos tech-demo

Troll - Ray Tracing tech-demo

How do the character models compare to The Heretic? The destruction to Chaos? The ray-tracing to something like Troll?

Just some examples. I am a believer, btw - the jump will be huge!

I think you should remove The chaos egine vidoe because it is irrelevant in the comparison you are alluding it because it is already part of the engien itself and not some smoke and mirrors or target render and any dev could use to whatever extent he they want whether below this or even go beyond this if they want so no this is not just an eyecandy tech demo to give you an idea but a real thing. This would cause confusion for many thinking this is not possible to do or just target tech demo or a vision.
It is explained ind etails in the last UE4 update changelogs.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I think you should remove The chaos egine vidoe because it is irrelevant in the comparison you are alluding it because it is already part of the engien itself and not some smoke and mirrors or target render and any dev could use to whatever extent he they want whether below this or even go beyond this if they want so no this is not just an eyecandy tech demo to give you an idea but a real thing. This would cause confusion for many thinking this is not possible to do or just target tech demo or a vision.
It is explained ind etails in the last UE4 update changelogs.
Don't get me wrong, I think next gen will surpass that. I just want to give Klee something to compare the stuff he's seen to.

Responses like "no, way better than that", or "not quite as good as that" is what I'm hoping for. Doesn't have to be too specific. Just to get a feel for what to expect from the early games.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I think next gen will surpass that. I just want to give Klee something to compare the stuff he's seen to.

Ah ok I got you. I asked him about the Chaos Engine earlier and whether the devs used it in the game since it's an UE4 game or their own implementation, he said he doesn't know. It is understandable since the dev didn't share thourough technical details with him.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Hey Kleegamefan. Thanks for sharing some information with us, much appreciated!

I have a question and it's something that I've been trying to visualise in my mind the sort of look next-gen games will have. Would you say what you saw finally has that CG look and feel to it? Every gen it seems to be, 'we're approaching almost CG visuals but not quite there yet'. Would you say we're there now? Like, does it still look and feel like a game or more than that, if that makes sense, ha.

I know CG quality is always improving so likely it won't match up to current CG standards, but how would you say it compares to early PS4 level of CG fidelity? What gen would it be most comparable to?

Just a few examples that came to my mind:

www.youtube.com

Assassin's Creed Unity E3 2014 World Premiere Cinematic Trailer [EUROPE]

The French Revolution was led by the people. They stood together and faught the oppression. This year, and for the 1st time in the Assassin's Creed® franchis...

www.youtube.com

Marvel’s Spider-Man – Be Greater Extended Trailer | PS4

https://www.playstation.com/games/marvels-spider-man/?emcid=or-1s-412983Marvel’s Spider-Man extended trailer. BE GREATER. Available Now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think some of you need to relax on trying to get Klee from identifying how it looks like by asking him to cross reference with 3, 4 tech demos lol.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
In the end, I really think that you guys will be way more impressed by the games than the specs.

I was.

I think many people will probably want more Tflops of the GPU. I think it will the fact than the TFlops will probably be under 12 TFlops (x2 Xbox One X) will made some people unhappy seeing the spec. RDNA having more efficiency than GCN is for the guy knowing technology not the case of most gamer. I would even say that if we had an Nvidia 11 Tflops GPU some people would have complain.

This is UE 4 and they are ex DICE developers preparing a next-generation game and much more interesting not a demo this is a game. This is probably something looking more like the game klee has seen.

Last edited:

thuway

Oct 27, 2017

I was.
Can you throw us a bone to give us a clue on specs? Or better yet, in your opinion, where do you think architecturally these machines will deviate? IE in your opinion do you see more CUs on the Xbox, do you see a larger emphasis on ssd streaming with ps5?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
The demo I saw had the very best real time graphics I've ever seen. And what I mean by that is it looked like a real game you can play.

Not some super polished UE4 or Unity technical demo that you would see at gdc.

To me, there was no mistaking this for a current generation on PC or console.

To be clear, in terms of scope, lighting and environment dynamics, RDR2 or TLOU2 aren't even in the same time zone as this.

and yeah, it kinda was like a Shadowfall moment to me in that it seemed totally different from what I've been used to in the previous generation.

Now granted, Framerate was maybe 25 to 30-ish and it was early, early,early. But I actually said out loud WTF when I first saw it.

Hugely impressive.
Holy shit I missed this! I hope this isn't a case of early tech demos that we never end up reaching because if this can be consistent across the board - we are going to be some happy kids

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Can you throw us a bone to give us a clue on specs? Or better yet, in your opinion, where do you think architecturally these machines will deviate? IE in your opinion do you see more CUs on the Xbox, do you see a larger emphasis on ssd streaming with ps5?

Why would he know that tech stuff .
So far from when he is saying he give us a overall picture of next gen .
Don't see the need for him to go into to much detail and get him or he source in trouble.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Holy shit I missed this! I hope this isn't a case of early tech demos that we never end up reaching because if this can be consistent across the board - we are going to be some happy kids

I think it is very exciting. A real game by a third-party that is pretty early in dev running on real, but not final, PS5 hardware over a year from release.

I'm confident I will say wow when we finally see games.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Open-ended comment on RT. I think Richard and DF are doing a disservice to the existence of dedicated RT hardware in the next consoles. Just a few years ago, devs were adamant we wouldn't get RT this gen, and yet here we are getting hardware from a GPU that hasn't even been revealed yet.

Yes, it may only be AO and shadows, but the impact of having some RT acceleration vs. none over the 6-7 year lifespan of a console and optimizing to that is an important development for the whole industry and should help PC RT take off faster.
I think you are perhaps reading too negatively into that what we said? I mean, the article mentions two types of RT and we then just describe what we know about them (they are indeed the cheap effects that RT can do, and you can read about that fact anywhere) and what it might mean for the hw and games, and also say that it is not exhaustive "could just be a red herring/ might not be indicative".
Both John and I say during and at the end that we are happy that hw accellerated RT is there and that I hope it is a good baseline of performance to kick start of the RTRT era right.

As I see it, we trend to offer a grounded view on things that come from PR perspectives: that does not mean we are doing a disservice to anyone or anything.
I think RT is will be mostly limited to shadows and ambient occlusion, but it feels ridiculous to downplay that.
Full fat RT enabled cards still shit the bed when RT is on, anything that works on a console (and as such can be optimized) is already huge.
I do not think it is correcrt to say the big GPUs get pummeled by RT being set to on. If you use normalised standards of game performance (e.g. console performance of 30 fps at high res or 60 fps at intermediate res), then they do a fairly great job.

I really do think that the strange collective expectation on the PC side of things that every game NEEDS to run at 4K 60 or 1440p 144 has completely skewed the conversation on how performant or not performant games are, since it ignores what is actually being rendered. RT is a part of that.

Oct 27, 2017
Klee doing himself more harm than good every time he drops those bombs — I don't even want to know what his @'s look like 😂.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Hey Kleegamefan. Thanks for sharing some information with us, much appreciated!

I have a question and it's something that I've been trying to visualise in my mind the sort of look next-gen games will have. Would you say what you saw finally has that CG look and feel to it? Every gen it seems to be, 'we're approaching almost CG visuals but not quite there yet'. Would you say we're there now? Like, does it still look and feel like a game or more than that, if that makes sense, ha.

I know CG quality is always improving so likely it won't match up to current CG standards, but how would you say it compares to early PS4 level of CG fidelity? What gen would it be most comparable to?

Just a few examples that came to my mind:

www.youtube.com

Assassin's Creed Unity E3 2014 World Premiere Cinematic Trailer [EUROPE]

The French Revolution was led by the people. They stood together and faught the oppression. This year, and for the 1st time in the Assassin's Creed® franchis...

www.youtube.com

Marvel’s Spider-Man – Be Greater Extended Trailer | PS4

https://www.playstation.com/games/marvels-spider-man/?emcid=or-1s-412983Marvel’s Spider-Man extended trailer. BE GREATER. Available Now.

Yeah. It's in the ballpark of that AC Unity flyover for sure.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I've only seen a multiplatform game running on PS5 development hardware. That said, it should look exactly the same on Xbox Scarlett
Do you know if that hardware was already an APU or just desktop parts with sony's software?
What i mean to ask is whether the hardware running this was close enough to represent the actual PS5 version or is this more like a watch dogs reveal situation where the developers made the demo for a high end PC.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Do you know if that hardware was already an APU or just desktop parts with sony's software?
What i mean to ask is whether the hardware running this was close enough to represent the actual PS5 version or is this more like a watch dogs reveal situation where the developers made the demo for a high end PC.

It was running on Navi-based hardware. So a current for the time PS5 development kit.(June 2019).

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Honestly, and this is the last thing I will say about it, but I think some people are going to be disappointed at how similar PS5 and Scarlett hardware are.

It's my belief ( As in I don't really know) that the biggest division will be Exclusive games, UI and services .

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
It was running on Navi-based hardware. So a current for the time PS5 development kit.(June 2019).

Given that PC Navi 10 doesn't have RT hardware and the game you saw does have RT I think it logical that the dev kit (the V shape one we have seen?) has at least a non-final clocks/spec APU at this point?

In any case I think both consoles, to paraphrase Matt, are going to be lit.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Klee thanks for All your inputs till now . Love it . I will ask you another question that I heard from somewhere . Let's say rumors .

I was told Sony hasn't decided on the final gpu clocks. Have you heard that or is it final now ?
. There are at least two more major revisions coming but I don't know the exact details of what that entails

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Yeah and for the best. Seems next-gen is very capable.
I think they will go CB someday when they feel those consoels won't be able to push the more advanced graphics in the upcoming years so they had to work on some compensations. Juts like now.
Maybe it is also purely for marketing reasons. A 1800p checkerboard is already perfect and allow you a lot of ressources for something else. I know the jump from 30fps to 60fps is not that easy, but I still hope to have the choice between native 4k 30fps and whatever definition CB at 60fps. The thing is, I am not sure we saw CB at 60 fps. Maybe there is not enough time to do it.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Honestly, and this is the last thing I will say about it, but I think some people are going to be disappointed at how similar PS5 and Scarlett hardware are.

It's my belief ( As in I don't really know) that the biggest division will be Exclusive games, UI and services .
I only bought Sony and Nintendo console but I am not a fanboy so this is the best news you can share.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

For me i don't care if they mostly the same once the base line raise high enough .
In fact both of them being nearly the same could be a good thing once the base line not low.
It will no longer be which system holding back the games even for multiplatform titles and first party will push hard like usual .

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
One thing I found really interesting was the quality of the shadows. I especially noticed there were some approx 2-3ft high bushes. When they were swaying in the wind they were casting moving shadows with fucking PERFECT detail. No shimmering or stairstepping at all.

And I am talking about a bush with maybe 75-100 branches and 100s of leaves on it!
Casting. Perfect.Fucking. Shadows.

Keep in mind this was just a random, whateverthefuck bush!

Also

The overall picture quality was astoundingly solid....like it used some super duper AA.

The game is full 2160p, but again, has no shimmering whatsoever. Just a really solid resolve to the graphics.

I'm sorry I can't articulate all this better but it's really hard to explain for some reason.
I woke up to this... then checked my calendar to see if you've already taken your trip. This is no way to live.
native 4k huh?
i'd rather developers target checkerboard tbh, but if it really looks that incredible, i guess i cant really complain.
They will start the gen with native 4K. End it with 4K.CB and games that look almost twice as good a whatever they put out at the start. I can live with that :)

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
They will start the gen with native 4K. End it with 4K.CB and games that look almost twice as good a whatever they put out at the start. I can live with that :)

Yep that is normally how it goes since they don't be pushing hardware to limit at the start of the gen .
Mid way when cross gen done and they pushing things is when i expect to see CB unless they doing 60fps version and giving you the option .

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice that we're finally starting to get little dev kit related nuggets, in the past that usually led to juicer and juicer spec details leaking.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The demo I saw had the very best real time graphics I've ever seen. And what I mean by that is it looked like a real game you can play.

To be clear, in terms of scope, lighting and environment dynamics, RDR2 or TLOU2 aren't even in the same time zone as this.

and yeah, it kinda was like a Shadowfall moment to me in that it seemed totally different from what I've been used to in the previous generation.

Now granted, Framerate was maybe 25 to 30-ish and it was early, early,early. But I actually said out loud WTF when I first saw it.

Hugely impressive.
Intruiging. Shadowfall was also the first game where I thought 'holy shit, next gen is here'.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Excited to see what Spiderman 2 looks like. 2023 onwards is gonna be mind-blowing :P

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Excited to see what Spiderman 2 looks like. 2023 onwards is gonna be mind-blowing :P

I don't think this time we will have to wait. I think games will hit the ground running from launch with the stable, evolved and mature tools compared to previous gen transitions. The year delay for PS5 doesn't hurt launch games, either.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I don't think this time we will have to wait. I think games will hit the ground running from launch with the stable, evolved and mature tools compared to previous gen transitions. The year delay for PS5 doesn't hurt launch games, either.
You're not wrong, but it seems in general that games really start pushing a system towards the middle and tail end of the generation just because Devs start from scratch for a new IP/sequel (look at BF4 to BFV)

At the start there's a few games in the first 2 years (Bloodborne, Killzone, Infamous) that showcase what to expect. I could see HZD2 launching in 2021.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

Hugely impressive.
Yeah. It's in the ballpark of that AC Unity flyover for sure.
t0xWON3.gif

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
You're not wrong, but it seems in general that games really start pushing a system towards the middle and tail end of the generation just because Devs start from scratch for a new IP/sequel (look at BF4 to BFV)

At the start there's a few games in the first 2 years (Bloodborne, Killzone, Infamous) that showcase what to expect. I could see HZD2 launching in 2021.

Sure some devs will no doubt push things when they learn to take advantage of the new tech like the SSD etc but still I think the whole idea with the new consoles is to remove as much of the learning curve and barriers so devs can just take the max out of the hardware straight away. To be fair even on this gen launch games KZ:SF and Ryse both hold up really well at least graphically.

Status
Not open for further replies.