• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2018
I feel bad for anyone that hopes 60fps will be standard next-gen. It will just be like this gen, FPS games with a multiplayer component will be 60fps, fighting games and a majority of the racing games too. every thing else will be 30fps, or maybe 40fps with VRR.

The simple truth of the matter is that 60fps doesn't sell games.

I only miss 60fps, when there's an option for it.
E. G in god of war or gears 4, I will try the 60fps modes then go back to the 4k modes and miss the higher framerate, however when there isn't the option like in UC4 or rdr2 im not craving 60fps at all.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
My dudes. I explained this earlier but I was simply talking about GPU and RAM multipliers.
Well, don't get discouraged! We might just get a 10 time leap over the original X1.
And that's not even accounting for the advantages based on the change from GCN to the RDNA architecture.

So even a 2-time leap over the X1X will be amazing! 😊

We really need to see some next-gen games soon though.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
My dudes. I explained this earlier but I was simply talking about GPU and RAM multipliers.
But does it really matter if the RAM and GPU were used basically just in order to increase resolution? It's not that Gear 4 in 1080p looks like Gears 5 in 1080p or TLOU1 in 1080p looks like TLOU2 in 1080p. If all you do is take a game built for an old system and increase the resolution and texture quality you don't get a next-gen looking game, you are just getting a peek at a future remaster that traveled back in time :)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I think Texture/Texel Space Shading might end up being pretty relevant as a new rendering tech next-gen. It makes a lot of sense for really complex scenes and gives devs a lot of flexibility on how to spend processing time (pretty much decouples shading completely from geometry and rendering, so you can asynch everything).

Also, there's been some pretty promising research that builds on top of TSS to cache and accumulate rays for RT, so not only you end up with cleaner results but since you can reuse a lot of stuff for consecutive frames, it's more performant to boot.

iamthatiam

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Just give it up. You won't convince anyone. Everyone who has seen next gen refutes your claims. And rtx is not everything there is and the end all be all. It's one of many ways of implementing raytracing and there will be hybrid solutions that will blow people away.

What are you trying to accomplish? Convince people that next gen will be underwhelming? What's your argument here?

Pixar didn't use ray tracing for lighting in Wall-E, Toy Story 3 and Up and these movies still look better than any RTX game on ultra.

Its all ray traced but they use an offline renderer that take hours/days/week to bake. what VFX_Veteran is talking about is real time ray tracing which is what RTX is doing.

Lok at this... (again)

Would you consider that as net-gen if you started seeing games looking like that come 2020/2021? I really hope you would answer this question this time around. And remember, that demo is nt using RT at all.

Playing devils advocate i could say characters in games already have similar level of fidelity (cut scenes) and that the environment is essentially what the intro mission of metro exodus looks like and definitely what the E3 Reveal trailer looks like.
Infact I would say the E3 Reveal of Metro Exodus looks better than the Unity Demo (Dat Downgrade!).

Next Gen - Where Last Gen's E3 trailers come to life!

Last edited:

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Would it be wise to get an x570 motherboard specifically for PCIE 4.0? With next gen consoles using fast as hell SSDs I'm wondering if I should tell my friend whos building a PC at the moment to spend the extra money on a motherboard that supports it.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Hopefully next gen will be a platform with different options. As in you'll be able to chose what kind of gaming experience you want. 4k30 (with all bells&whistles), 4k60fps (downgraded), or Full HD/1440p/60 fps (with all bells&whistles)

And hopefully a checkbox in System Settings of running games in "energy saving cool&quiet settings" running games in 1080p 60fps without bells&whistles so I can always have a cool&quiet experience.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Would it be wise to get an x570 motherboard specifically for PCIE 4.0? With next gen consoles using fast as hell SSDs I'm wondering if I should tell my friend whos building a PC at the moment to spend the extra money on a motherboard that supports it.

i've been waiting and have told friends to wait and see what f intel is going to support it soon, but i'm losing hope

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecerIIClbMA

Just a cool storm scene a guy made in UE4 that I expect to see in next gen console/pc games and probably even better. Cool looking scene though.
Holy shit. I always forget how much more we have to go in terms of sheer realism. Never seen anything remotely like this in gaming yet. Even though I know that extreme weather situations aren't often represented in games. Just Cause 4 tornados are the only thing that comes to mind. Battlefield 4 had a hurricane(?) campaign mission.

My body is ready for that Mad Max: Fury Road storm scene level of intensity rendered in real-time

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida

Just a cool storm scene a guy made in UE4 that I expect to see in next gen console/pc games and probably even better. Cool looking scene though.

Dear open world devs. Give us next-gen storm / hurricanes winds looking exactly like this.

And I'll throw you money like this

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Storm diffenitly possible in next gen.

Tho my hopes for next gen goes completely goes to VR! I can't imagine what crazy shit we will see on next gen VR combined with next gen console. I have a feeling if I bought both next gens I wouldn't come back for single player games on TV.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019

Yeah. That's pretty sweet. For me it could be a Remedy game. You play as Huri Cane, a person who discovers they are a weathermancer and must stop mysterious storms... Lol, okay I'll stop now. Cool video. Hope next gen approaches that.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I feel bad for anyone that hopes 60fps will be standard next-gen. It will just be like this gen, FPS games with a multiplayer component will be 60fps, fighting games and a majority of the racing games too. every thing else will be 30fps, or maybe 40fps with VRR.

The simple truth of the matter is that 60fps doesn't sell games.
I understand why you'd say this, because it's always been true to an extent, but if you've been watching things closely you'd notice there has been a shift underway.

In the PS3/360 gen 60fps truly was a rare thing. The shift began with the PS4/XB1 though, when a number of very high profile developers began talking about and acknowledging 60fps. Halo made a full switch to 60. Gears of War did once the X showed up. Naughty Dog announced all their games would be 60 going forward, until they realized it just wasn't going to work out for the single player aspects on PS4. Battlefield went to 60fps, as did the Star Wars Battlefront games. Forza Horizon went to 60 when the X arrived. Codemasters went 60fps for all their racing games this gen. Fortnite, the biggest shooter in the world eventually got updated to 60 across the board.

Higher frame rates have just become a bigger part of the conversation around games these days. I think there are lots of reasons to believe this shift is only going to accelerate going forward, especially as it's more expensive to make a game look prettier, but it's not any more expensive to make it run at a higher frame rate.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Its all ray traced but they use an offline renderer that take hours/days/week to bake. what VFX_Veteran is talking about is real time ray tracing which is what RTX is doing.
In those movies they used RT quite sparingly.

Most notably for Gi to get brickmaps or the splat based GI.
(Brickmaps were also used to trace against for blurry reflections.)

Actual direct lighting and rendering was done with micropolygon rasterizer.

Happily they changed lighting to full RT in Monster University and after that full path tracer for everything. (Including first hit.)

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
In those movies they used RT quite sparingly.

Most notably for Gi to get brickmaps or the splat based GI.
(Brickmaps were also used to trace against for blurry reflections.)

Actual direct lighting and rendering was done with micropolygon rasterizer.

Happily they changed lighting to full RT in Monster University and after that full path tracer for everything. (Including first hit.)

Yes they were using REYES.

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France
Higher frame rates have just become a bigger part of the conversation around games these days. I think there are lots of reasons to believe this shift is only going to accelerate going forward, especially as it's more expensive to make a game look prettier, but it's not any more expensive to make it run at a higher frame rate.

Videogames forums vs real world. Fans talk about higher frames rates. People want the most beautiful game. And Fifa.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Videogames forums vs real world. Fans talk about higher frames rates. People want the most beautiful game. And Fifa.

If this was the case, games like Fortnite and CoD wouldn't be so popular, the recent REs wouldn't have pushed for 60fps, etc. Casual gamers largely buy what is best marketed to them. In the old days that often meant the games with the best graphics due to the fact that marketing could really be in the form of screenshots or, at best, 30fps internet video. Now, however, 60fps video capability is pretty much ubiquitous in a way it wasn't even as recently as the PS4/X1 launch. 60fps is beautiful in and of itself.

Not to mention that if the things we're hearing about the grunt of these machines are true, even 60fps games are going to look mind-boggling. Plus, with VRR, a locked 60fps won't be especially important.

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
If this was the case, games like Fortnite and CoD wouldn't be so popular, the recent REs wouldn't have pushed for 60fps, etc. Casual gamers largely buy what is best marketed to them. In the old days that often meant the games with the best graphics due to the fact that marketing could really be in the form of screenshots or, at best, 30fps internet video. Now, however, 60fps video capability is pretty much ubiquitous in a way it wasn't even as recently as the PS4/X1 launch. 60fps is beautiful in and of itself.

Not to mention that if the things we're hearing about the grunt of these machines are true, even 60fps games are going to look mind-boggling. Plus, with VRR, a locked 60fps won't be especially important.

This has been already debated in the past but i remain very, very skeptical about having more 60fps games in the coming gen. Every gen passing, there has been less and less 60fps games and i personally don't see this trend ending.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
This has been already debated in the past but i remain very, very skeptical about having more 60fps games in the coming gen.

I'm not saying they necessarily will come, I'm just saying that devs could make more 60fps games and there wouldn't be the financial penalty a lot of people claim.

Every gen passing, there has been less and less 60fps games and i personally don't see this trend ending.

This is objectively wrong in the case of current-gen. Multiple franchises, such as DOOM, Wolfenstein, Mirror's Edge, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Halo, and even Uncharted Multiplayer have gone for 60fps when their previous last-gen installments were at a shaky 30, and choices between visuals and performance are becoming a bit more common. I can't think of examples of the reverse. And this is all in a generation partially characterised by garbage CPUs - imagine what might happen when that's no longer the case.

Oct 27, 2017
Excited to see the new consoles from Sony and MS (want to buy both). In 12 months we are gonna be here (i hope xD), almost ready to get our hands on shinny new boxes xD

Oct 25, 2017
One other thing I wanted to bring up. If the games being made for the ONE/X didn't have to worry about all the downgrades that need to be made on the ONE versions, the games would look way better.

USUF

Nov 2, 2017
Cutscenes can be 24 FPS for all I care.

Gameplay, at least in next gen, should be 60 FPS minimum with checkerboard resolution. I'd be fine with native 1080p with 4x MSAA even.

Feel of the game is paramount.

Status
Not open for further replies.