• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Uh Oh
giphy.gif
calm down, its a QA tester, these kinds of meetings happen with the tech developers.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Polyphony just updated the GT Sport intro movie. There's been some speculation that they've been working on their next gen engine as they showed of a ray tracing demo on an 8K Sony demo display earlier in the year, and would likely be among the first to get PS5 specs and dev kits. Just sharing since there's a slim chance that it could be rendered using their next gen tech.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Digital purchases. People are locked into their ecosystem in a way that didn't happen before.

Also, you yourself talk about it in your post. You will not buy a developer today and have a game out tomorrow....But I can push further into your point and say some of those developers won't have a game out that can be a Goty contender on their first go, it takes time.

"Why is this generation so special?", you ask? So I ask that question to myself, what would it take for me to jump systems to the Xbox? And 2 things is what prevent it:

- First, like I said before, we're all pretty much locked into our respectives ecosystems...ofc we could be persuaded to change if the games don't deliver, which bring us to the second point

- This gen has proven that Sony is capable of giving us some amazing first party games, many of which are the first installments of a new series or a new IP altogether, so we know sequels to those games are coming and we can be confident of their quality. On the other hand MS hasn't been able to do that this gen, or even to close the gen up, like Sony did with in 2013 and games like TLoU, to go into the new gen with a lot of momentum.

So, in my opinion, people will largely remain in the same ecosystem they were this gen in, and for those who do switch, I can see more reasons for people jumping from Xbox to Sony (mainly being able to play all the amazing PS4 games on their new PS5 through BC), than the other way around. It also applies to new buyers.

But that doesn't mean MS is in trouble, or will stop being relevant or anything like that. It's relevant right now, so it will keep being so next gen, and if they improve their games like it seems they are doing, more people will play them. Maybe not in an Xbox, but surely on a pc, or streaming service or whatever.

I'm not planning on buying an Xbox, but if I can play selected games through streaming on my new TV, I surely will if the games are good
1. Hardcore gamers live in a cocoon. A cocoon that sometimes does not lend itself to thinking critically. This thing called backwards compatibility has never been important, and it becomes even less important when space is at a premium.
Games are going to get bigger; how much bigger? So do you think that people that already own a PS4 or XB1 will put those consoles in storage and move entire libraries into a SSD solution for next gen that may be 1/2TB?

2. Turn 10 has been making the best console sim, it happened on day one. Bungie made the best first person shooter, it was the first game they made under Microsoft. Playground Games has been making the best arcade style racer, it has been that way since day one. The Coalition has been making the best third person shooter since day one, and their last entry is head of heels better than anything that has been put out.

In that stable, they already have the best racing games, and when it comes to shooters, the best collection between first and third person and there is a focus on strong multiplayer content. Where Microsoft has lacked is JRPG's, RPG's, third person action adventure titles. The only sector where they remain weak is when it comes to Japanese related titles after one looks at their studio purchases.

If Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Playground, InXile hit games that are in the 83/85 metascore range, they will be OK. I also think that studios like Rare and Undead Labs were the victims of not having a big enough inhouse development team because Sea of Thieves and State of Decay II have only got a lot stronger once they started adding content. Time is one thing that Microsoft studios never had in abundance, it is something that they will be getting going forward.

3. In an ideal world, Microsoft would once again butcher the launch of Scarlett, come out weaker, have a skint development team, and have a weaker console to have the same effect that we saw. We do not live in an ideal world. Microsoft has changed in relation to what Sony has done. Sony has adapted some of their strategy to match what Microsoft is doing. It is unlikely that Microsoft will mess it like they did at the reveal of this generation, but how the gaming population reacts to those move is something that remains to be seen. Microsoft could do everything right and lose market share when it comes to consoles, they might mess up somewhat and see a rise in sales. Either way, I expect that we will see some more acquisitions from both as they try to bolster their first party offering.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Polyphony just updated the GT Sport intro movie. There's been some speculation that they've been working on their next gen engine as they showed of a ray tracing demo on an 8K Sony demo display earlier in the year, and would likely be among the first to get PS5 specs and dev kits. Just sharing since there's a slim chance that it could be rendered using their next gen tech.

seems to me like the regular game. most reflections in this video seems to be standard reflection techniqeus unless if i am missing something.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I had plenty of 360 games digitally because the store actually worked and download speeds were fast. There were also often discounts on the store.
You not being digital last gen doesn't mean much then, perhaps because you didn't own a 360 last gen.
But we have data that digital adoption rose this gen significantly so more people now have a digital catalogue. But I fail to see an indication this might lock people into an ecosystem. It might happen, it might not.

That's when the second part of my post comes into play: games.

Changing ecosystems is just an extra hurdle, which may be worth jumping if the games in the other ecosystem are better than the ones in your present ecosystem.

That's why I predict there will be more people jumping from Xbox to PlayStation than the other way around, not only to play next gen games, but also to play this one's through BC, as even Phil says this gen's first paty offerings has been pretty lackluster.

In this case MS clearly benefits more than Sony from people being locked into their ecosystem, not only through past purchases, but things like GamePass. How many people have Ultimate paid for 1$ for the next 3 years? These people are pretty much locked in, which is of course why MS offered such deal in the first place. Unless you don't see any value in GamePass, which obviously you do. It's great value and I'm sure many people will chose to remain in the Xbox ecosystem because they love GamePass (among the other things that comprise said ecosystem)

ppn7

May 4, 2019
I never tested freesync but I just hope Sony and devs will allow variable frame rate and not only caplock FPS.

I mean if Freesync do the job, you can have a game running between 40 and 60 FPS without stuttering. Could be better if the freeeync range was 30-60he but not sure we will see monitor or TV with this type of range...

Does anybody have tested for example One X with freesync which allow variable frame rate ? Any good feedback ?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
That's when the second part of my post comes into play: games.

Changing ecosystems is just an extra hurdle, which may be worth jumping if the games in the other ecosystem are better than the ones in your present ecosystem.

That's why I predict there will be more people jumping from Xbox to PlayStation than the other way around, not only to play next gen games, but also to play this one's through BC, as even Phil says this gen's first paty offerings has been pretty lackluster.

In this case MS clearly benefits more than Sony from people being locked into their ecosystem, not only through past purchases, but things like GamePass. How many people have Ultimate paid for 1$ for the next 3 years? These people are pretty much locked in, which is of course why MS offered such deal in the first place. Unless you don't see any value in GamePass, which obviously you do. It's great value and I'm sure many people will chose to remain in the Xbox ecosystem because they love GamePass (among the other things that comprise said ecosystem)
And that's where Game Pass comes into play. There isn't any hurdle anymore in switching platforms because you have a whole library of new/recent games waiting for you. And with all of the MS' new studios, the content is going to be flowing at the end of this gen and start of next gen. This will make it extremely enticing to get an Xbox next gen.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I never tested freesync but I just hope Sony and devs will allow variable frame rate and not only caplock FPS.

I mean if Freesync do the job, you can have a game running between 40 and 60 FPS without stuttering. Could be better if the freeeync range was 30-60he but not sure we will see monitor or TV with this type of range...

Does anybody have tested for example One X with freesync which allow variable frame rate ? Any good feedback ?

I would love to see a kind of light minimum framerate policy employed where all games must never drop below 40, with the option of a 30fps cap for non-VRR displays. It wouldn't be nearly as restrictive or unrealistic as mandated 60fps and would still look very nice.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
And that's where Game Pass comes into play. There isn't any hurdle anymore in switching platforms because you have a whole library of new/recent games waiting for you. And with all of the MS' new studios, the content is going to be flowing at the end of this gen and start of next gen. This will make it extremely enticing to get an Xbox next gen.

The hurdle is for Xbox owners, not for PS4 owners...as I said it keeps the Xbox owners locked into the MS ecosystem.

PS4 owners will stay into the Sony ecosystem not because they're locked in, but because of the games. If they enjoyed Sony's first party games, as most of them do, they will buy the PS5 to play the sequels of said games, alongside whatever new IPs said proven developers have to offer.

Also that's were BC comes into play; is not (or not only) for current PS4 owners to play their old games again, by mostly for Xbox owners that want to play them for the first time (on a PS5, through BC).

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
The hurdle is for Xbox owners, not for PS4 owners...as I said it keeps the Xbox owners locked into the MS ecosystem
And makes it a lot easier and more enticing for non-Xbox owners this gen to get a Scarlett next gen.

Both will have great games next-gen and both will have BC allowing people to play the games they missed on both platforms. Game Pass gives the added benefit of being able to play all new games also at no extra cost.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

It is clearly rendered by one of theire engine. There is good reflexion on helmets but I don't know if it is RT.
I am convinced GT sports will have a dedicated PS 5 version while waiting for GT 7. Racing games are always a treat to the eyes and Microsoft will have a racing game at launch. Probably a cross gen title too so we need that "fight".

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Cross posting from the Xbox Studios thread, not sure if this has been posted here.

Curious how custom Scarlett will be.

The company held a recruiting event Wednesday in Austin, Texas, seeking experienced "custom CPU/SoC design" engineers for jobs in Raleigh, North Carolina; Sunnyvale, California; and Fort Collins, Colorado, in addition to its headquarters in Redmond, Washington, according to a post on Microsoft-owned LinkedIn.
All the locations except Redmond have deep chip talent connections. Qualcomm Inc.'s former server chip team was based in Raleigh and Sunnyvale is near Santa Clara, which is home to Advanced Micro Devices Inc., Intel Corp. and Nvidia Corp. AMD has another site in Fort Collins.

Microsoft has been dabbling with this type of stuff for a few years, but it looks like their efforts are set to increase in the future. I wonder what their end goal is: expand bespoke in-house chip design and/or strengthened partnerships with the likes of intel, AMD, ARM/Qualcomm?

I'm sure the SOC is Scarlett will offer some MS specific customization on top of existing AMD IP, though perhaps future chips could have more distinct differences.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
I had plenty of 360 games digitally because the store actually worked and download speeds were fast. There were also often discounts on the store.
You not being digital last gen doesn't mean much then, perhaps because you didn't own a 360 last gen.
But we have data that digital adoption rose this gen significantly so more people now have a digital catalogue. But I fail to see an indication this might lock people into an ecosystem. It might happen, it might not.

I would think being most digital purchase driven in the PS360 era was for a minority with 7-9 years ago.

With PS4One even now Switch digital marketshare rose over the years. To what now ~50%?

That is another dimension of investment of more casual people and it will be interesting if it has an effect to lockdown most people into an ecosystem.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Can I play Halo on PS5, can I play TLOU 2 on Xbox? No the day, the fan of each side will understand this and the concept of backlog this will be a good beginning.

And the concept of brand too. Some people out of US and UK buy a Playstation because this is a playstation if no problem with price they don't even try to buy an Xbox.

Same in US for Xbox.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
if you hear a rumor, please verify it with mods instead of just randomly posting vague information.
Welp, that's what I vaguely heard from the colleague, not like I found something on the web. If there'd be more details, I'd share info but that's all I heard for now.
The wording was "nextgen meeting" and I believe it does not involve QA.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
And makes it a lot easier and more enticing for non-Xbox owners this gen to get a Scarlett next gen.

Both will have great games next-gen and both will have BC allowing people to play the games they missed on both platforms. Game Pass gives the added benefit of being able to play all new games also at no extra cost.

I'm sure many people will switch from Sony to MS, all I'm saying is more people will make the jump in the other direction.

Why? Again, the answer is games. Both will have great games, the same way both had great games this gen, but most people would agree that Sony first partly offerings have been superior, and most people will bank on next gen being the same.

Again, why would I jump ships after having enjoyed this gen's games, and miss the opportunity of playing their sequels, for the promise of getting something better from MS? I just don't see it at this point in time

The same reason that more people are choosing PlayStation over MS now (even with GamePass) than they did 6 years ago, is the one that will make them chose PlayStation next gen

Edit : Notice that I say more people, not all the people. There's obviously plenty of reasons to chose MS over Sony.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Both will have great games next-gen
You don't know that. Sony studios can still fucked up the sequels and we don't know what MS new studios will do. The only one we already know is Bleeding Edge, a MP game no one is talking about made by a studio highly recognised for their SP output. I don't say the game won't be great, it is just something not in the studio DNA (and this questionnable art style...) and will be probably full of MT.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Cross posting from the Xbox Studios thread, not sure if this has been posted here.

Microsoft has been dabbling with this type of stuff for a few years, but it looks like their efforts are set to increase in the future. I wonder what their end goal is: expand bespoke in-house chip design and/or strengthened partnerships with the likes of intel, AMD, ARM/Qualcomm?

I'm sure the SOC is Scarlett will offer some MS specific customization on top of existing AMD IP, though perhaps future chips could have more distinct differences.

This has been an interesting shift for MS as the OS becomes less important. Shifting into Azure, Hardware, and chip design.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
You don't know that. Sony studios can still fucked up the sequels and we don't know what MS new studios will do. The only one we already know is Bleeding Edge, a MP game no one is talking about made by a studio highly recognised for their SP output. I don't say the game won't be great, it is just something not in the studio DNA (and this questionnable art style...) and will be probably full of MT.
Bleeding Edge isn't a next-gen game, and it was a side project that was in development long before the studio acquisition.
I'm sure many people will switch from Sony to MS, all I'm saying is more people will make the jump in the other direction.

Why? Again, the answer is games. Both will have great games, the same way both had great games this gen, but most people would agree that Sony first partly offerings have been superior, and most people will bank on next gen being the same.

Again, why would I jump ships after having enjoyed this gen's games, and miss the opportunity of playing their sequels, for the promise of getting something better from MS? I just don't see it at this point in time

The same reason that more people are choosing PlayStation over MS now (even with GamePass) than they did 6 years ago, is the one that will make them chose PlayStation next gen

Edit : Notice that I say more people, not all the people. There's obviously plenty of reasons to chose MS over Sony.
People will jump ship because of the games, and their ability to access them through Game Pass. There's really no way to know how next-gen will turn out as there's a lot of exciting things happening currently.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Bleeding Edge isn't a next-gen game, and it was a side project that was in development long before the studio acquisition.

People will jump ship because of the games, and their ability to access them through Game Pass. There's really no way to know how next-gen will turn out.

But they already have the ability to enjoy said games through GamePass, right now, and more people are chosing PlayStation, right now, even with the competition of GamePass, than they did at any point in this gen.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
But they already have the ability to enjoy said games through GamePass, right now, and more people are chosing PlayStation, right now, even with the competition of GamePass, than they did at any point in this gen.
It's the end of the gen, MS' output has lackluster up to this point, and the Xbox One is still a tarnished brand. Next-gen is clearly going to be another story. How they announce the next Xbox and the games they show for it will be extremely important.
Can't wait to play Spider Man 2 and BoTW 2 on X cloud !
You won't be able to!

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boy oh boy do we need some leaks...

Real talk, you folks arguing about Xbox vs Playstation are a written example of what goes on in my mind. Unless one console releases before the other, I'm going to have a seriously hard time deciding which one to buy first.

Can I afford both? Sure... Do I have time to play both AND my Switch? Not a chance in hell.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Very interesting article, I do wonder whether Scarlett will incorporate dedicated AI and machine learning into the work they have done with AMD?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

All the best sauces source local ingredients.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
head tracking in games (without a VR headset) is one of those things that sounds great in theory but will flat out suck in practice.

Its all good until you sneeze.
Haha yeah but this is why I used Alien Isolation which is the best example. You don't have headtracking enabled by default but only when you hold L1 to peek around corners to check danger ascif you were there also voice detection so you have to hold your breath and don't let your dog bark. :p Sneezing is bad in every way whether for head tracking or voice detection.XD
Not everyone wants VR tbh like me and in reality you don't walk around wearing a headset also VR games tend to look worse than non VR ones and cause heaache. Optional headtracking is the best especialy for horror games to add immersion.
Believe me the PS4 version of Alien Isolation is the most immersive version: head tracking, voice detection, radar when used beeps in the controller which becomes green like the radar screen. If only the game had PS4 Pro support tonremove jaggies and improve graphics. On PS5 it could be more immersive if the DS5 has really a screen to show real radar. You can't have that when using VR.
If only the camera had more support than just be a necessity only for VR like early PS4 games.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
My biggest concern I have now over these next-gen consoles is that they are being released literally 1 year from now. By that time, most AAA PC games will have a fair amount of ground on the RTX tech which is the only thing that will be the large delta between today's games graphics and next-gen games. Pretty much next-gen has taken off full steam with the first release of Metro RTX on PC and the growth rate is unexpectedly large. Google's machine is coming this fall. And a slew full of AAA gaming companies will have mastered implementing ALL of the RTX features. Sony/Microsoft won't have comparable hardware and will be coming out over a year later. I'm not sure how they'll make up the delta tbh.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass is fine, but it's too early to say if it's a big reason for people to switch from MS to Sony. Especially with EA Access being available for the Playstation.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

The image is missing self reflections which RT reflections would have (even SSR would to a good degree), so I do not think so!
selfreflection5xjwp.png

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest concern I have now over these next-gen consoles is that they are being released literally 1 year from now. By that time, most AAA PC games will have a fair amount of ground on the RTX tech which is the only thing that will be the large delta between today's games graphics and next-gen games. Pretty much next-gen has taken off full steam with the first release of Metro RTX on PC and the growth rate is unexpectedly large. Google's machine is coming this fall. And a slew full of AAA gaming companies will have mastered implementing ALL of the RTX features. Sony/Microsoft won't have comparable hardware and will be coming out over a year later. I'm not sure how they'll make up the delta tbh.
are you sticking by your 1080 prediction?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
QUESTION: A while back we had some Reddit/Pastebin rumors mentioning Sony was going to have some form of exclusive arrangement for GTA6, like 3 months or so. Most just scoffed at that and moved on. Did the rest of the info in any of those rumors pan out at all?

I've been thinking that instead of having GTA6 exclusive to the PS platform, maybe the arrangement could be that at launch GTA6 would be available on PS Now for 3 months as part of the marquee collection. The flimsy evidence I'm using is that GTA5 is one of the first group of games to be in the marquee collection and also that the rumors indicated a 3 month deal and games on the marquee collection rotate out after 3 months.

It works out for Sony because they get a massive influx of new subs for PS Now. It works out for Rockstar because they get a ton of money from Sony an most of those people who get it on PS Now will likely buy the game after the 3 months are up anyways to play the online portion.

Thoughts?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
It's the end of the gen, MS' output has lackluster up to this point, and the Xbox One is still a tarnished brand. Next-gen is clearly going to be another story. How they announce the next Xbox and the games they show for it will be extremely important.

And we go back again into the *games" argument.

Even if netx gen games turn out to be equally great, which we won't know until some years into the gen, and even so it's a big if, you have to give PS4 owners a reason to abandon their current ecosystem, and lose the opportunity of playing the sequels of the games they greatly enjoyed this gen.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
And we go back again into the *games" argument.

Even if netx gen games turn out to be equally great, which we won't know until some years into the gen, and even so it's a big if, you have to give PS4 owners a reason to abandon their current ecosystem, and lose the opportunity of playing the sequels of the games they greatly enjoyed this gen.
Yes, that's why the games they show when they reveal the next Xbox will be really important. They need to excite people.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019

They will end up acquiring AMD, book it.

Status
Not open for further replies.