• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Nah. Whoever is willing to spend more on the hardware will get a stronger product.

While this is true, last time around MS aimed at DDR3 so they paid more for their APU... which was slower than PS4's smaller APU. They "wasted" a loot of transistors on 32MB of esram, essentially experiencing a "build order loss" [starcraft term for loosing because of the actions made in the 1st minute of the game, before seeing what your opponent is doing across the map].

But this time chances for such big architectural difference between two consoles is much smaller.

Both will have access to fast RAM, so both can focus on cramming as large CPU/GPU modules they can in their APUs. Some differentiation could be made if one gets more ram than the other [32 vs 24], or if one get regular SSD and other super-duper advanced one that can activley help in new rendering techniques.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
While this is true, last time around MS aimed at DDR3 so they paid more for their APU... which was slower than PS4's smaller APU. They "wasted" a loot of transistors on 32MB of esram, essentially experiencing a "build order loss" [starcraft term for loosing because of the actions made in the 1st minute of the game, before seeing what your opponent is doing across the map].

But this time chances for such big architectural difference between two consoles is much smaller.

Both will have access to fast RAM, so both can focus on cramming as large CPU/GPU modules they can in their APUs. Some differentiation could be made if one gets more ram than the other [32 vs 24], or if one get regular SSD and other super-duper advanced one that can activley help in new rendering techniques.

SSD will probably change nothing a 2GB SSD is probably enough for streaming and much faster than HDD of current gen console. If a SSD goes faster it can only give faster loading time.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Any chance we could see a next-gen exclusive Monster Hunter World 2 around the end of 2022 or sometime in 2023?

I mean, a MH that truly takes advantage of the Zen 2 CPU's capabilities for animation and physics of both the monsters and the environments — To providet more dynamic gameplay (thus, a new level of satisfaction in the gameplay).

Or would that likely have to be further off, say 2024?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Any chance we could see a next-gen exclusive Monster Hunter World 2 around the end of 2022 or sometime in 2023?

I mean, a MH that truly takes advantage of the Zen 2 CPU's capabilities for animation and physics of both the monsters and the environments fit more dynamic gameplay (thus, a new level of satisfying gameplay).

Or could that be further off, say 2024?
2022/2023 sounds about right.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Yeah dude, we know:
No, that's not right. MS absolutely did not think ESRAM was a better solution over using faster memory. They thought using DDR3 + ESRAM was the only way to afford 8 GB of RAM, which was the priority due to Kinect and multimedia needs. That just ended up being a big (though understandable) mistake.

Obviously I'm speaking under the assumption that no one is going to make that level of basic miscalculation.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

I think we will have two very good consoles with a performance differential very low probably less than 10%. He said he was under NDA and Bethesda received devkits and target specs of the two platform holder. But the only things he can said is this and he talk a little about the PS5 SSD very fast speed but it was cut the day after of the interview probably a violation of the NDA.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Anyone that expects more than a Scarlett mention at XO19 is going to be very disappointed.

Highly doubtful they even date their proper reveal, at most it'd be "we're going to be talking more about It next year".

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
You will not buy a developer today and have a game out tomorrow. There is nothing hard to understand in that. And this is coming from someone that has criticized the decision to come into this generation so thin when it came to first party.

People on here debate as if turning a company around is simple. These take time, and even more time when there are changes happening in the top echelons of a company. Microsoft's regression happened late last generation, it carried onto this generation. Changes in investment did not happen until Nadella came in as pertains expanding the development teams.

I also struggle to see why people think that Microsoft will struggle to remain relevant. Nintendo went from GameCube to Wii to Wii U to Switch. Sony went from dominating with the PS2 to losing market share to gaining with the PS3 to gaining it back. So why is this generation so special?

Digital purchases. People are locked into their ecosystem in a way that didn't happen before.

Also, you yourself talk about it in your post. You will not buy a developer today and have a game out tomorrow....But I can push further into your point and say some of those developers won't have a game out that can be a Goty contender on their first go, it takes time.

"Why is this generation so special?", you ask? So I ask that question to myself, what would it take for me to jump systems to the Xbox? And 2 things is what prevent it:

- First, like I said before, we're all pretty much locked into our respectives ecosystems...ofc we could be persuaded to change if the games don't deliver, which bring us to the second point

- This gen has proven that Sony is capable of giving us some amazing first party games, many of which are the first installments of a new series or a new IP altogether, so we know sequels to those games are coming and we can be confident of their quality. On the other hand MS hasn't been able to do that this gen, or even to close the gen up, like Sony did with in 2013 and games like TLoU, to go into the new gen with a lot of momentum.

So, in my opinion, people will largely remain in the same ecosystem they were this gen in, and for those who do switch, I can see more reasons for people jumping from Xbox to Sony (mainly being able to play all the amazing PS4 games on their new PS5 through BC), than the other way around. It also applies to new buyers.

But that doesn't mean MS is in trouble, or will stop being relevant or anything like that. It's relevant right now, so it will keep being so next gen, and if they improve their games like it seems they are doing, more people will play them. Maybe not in an Xbox, but surely on a pc, or streaming service or whatever.

I'm not planning on buying an Xbox, but if I can play selected games through streaming on my new TV, I surely will if the games are good

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Just heard that Playstation are having some kind of nextgen meeting with developers sometime soon. That includes third party.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, BC came way after the lauch of consoles this gen. I think it could have made a difference when offered right out of the gate. But we will see next gen if this is true or not.

We're missing the point here though. I had zero digital games on my PS3, because I didn't need PS+ to play on it.

Now I have literally hundreds of digital games, not only the PS+ ones, but tons that I did buy through the crazy psn sales, and some mp games I plan to keep on playing well into next gen, like Borderlands 3.

So the transition from last gen to this gen it's obviously not the same to the transition from this to the next. The PS4/Xbox One having BC is not as big as the PS5/Xbox Two having it. Anyone claiming otherwise is not being sincere

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We're missing the point here though. I had zero digital games on my PS3, because I didn't need PS+ to play on it.

Now I have literally hundreds of digital games, not only the PS+ ones, but tons that I did buy through the crazy psn sales, and some mp games I plan to keep on playing well into next gen, like Borderlands 3.

So the transition from last gen to this gen it's obviously not the same to the transition from this to the next. The PS4/Xbox One having BC is not as big as the PS5/Xbox Two having it. Anyone claiming otherwise is not being sincere
I had plenty of 360 games digitally because the store actually worked and download speeds were fast. There were also often discounts on the store.
You not being digital last gen doesn't mean much then, perhaps because you didn't own a 360 last gen.
But we have data that digital adoption rose this gen significantly so more people now have a digital catalogue. But I fail to see an indication this might lock people into an ecosystem. It might happen, it might not.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone that expects more than a Scarlett mention at XO19 is going to be very disappointed.

Highly doubtful they even date their proper reveal, at most it'd be "we're going to be talking more about It next year".

I'll challenge this, because I don't know what X019 could even be about if not Scarlett and next-gen plans.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I had plenty of 360 games digitally because the store actually worked and download speeds were fast. There were also often discounts on the store.
You not being digital last gen doesn't mean much then, perhaps because you didn't own a 360 last gen.
But we have data that digital adoption rose this gen significantly so more people now have a digital catalogue. But I fail to see an indication this might lock people into an ecosystem. It might happen, it might not.
Hmm if I can butt in here. The 360/PS3 generation had digital game sales, sure, but the scale of that and how many users really got invested into that is miniscule compared to the current generation. I had a 360 and bought a few titles like Braid, Geometry Wars, maybe one or two big titles. By the end of the generation I guess I probably had 10 or so digitally owned pieces of software. I must have hundreds this generation on my PS4 thanks largely to Plus titles, but also many larger titles that I would want to keep. Whether I'm all that interested in playing most of those older games doesn't really bother me, but knowing I have that library in totality does and I'm not going to leave PlayStation as a result. The PS5 would have to be a monumentally huge cock up weaker console at £700 for me to consider not getting one at this rate.

Also yeah, Sony first parties have reached a pretty reliable state, Microsoft has dropped the ball more often than not and just doesn't have that draw to me. Halo will have to be something special (and the wild card, that Flight SIM game looks insane and could get me buying the Xbox purely for that, down the line).

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

I don't know this is a very complicated situation for the Xbox division, the hardware are nearly the same. If Sony shows the hardware before they will steal some effect of the PR goodwill from Microsoft like the Wired interview was great communication.

Some people don't like Sony is not at E3 but give information about next playstation generation when they want is a great strategy. This is more like guerrilla tactics. It made the Xbox Scarlett reveal less impressive at E3, imagine if they were the first to speak about the presence of an SSD.

Edit: And this is funny because the day of Wired interview, I had many work and meeting and I only see the article hours after it was posted on Internet.

Last edited:

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it be amazing to have

MHW2 in '22/'23
GTA VI in '23/'24
Cyberpunk sequel '24/'25
Witcher game late in the generation '26/'27
- Yes
- Will probably have unresponsive controls
- Most likely retain the awful shooting mechanics because their delusional fanbase will give them a pass for anything
- Same as above, except with melee combat

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't that hard to understand. Yes you had some digital 360 games, that didn't even carry over when the generation started. BC for the next generation, people are going to have tons of digital content that is going to be playable on PS5 day one. It will make a huge difference.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
This isn't that hard to understand. Yes you had some digital 360 games, that didn't even carry over when the generation started. BC for the next generation, people are going to have tons of digital content that is going to be playable on PS5 day one. It will make a huge difference.

It began with PS4 Pro or Xbox One X for example or it can be interesting when you want to replay ta game for example PS4 HZD before release of PS5 HZD 2 like I will replay TLOUR before TLOU2 but this time without needing to buy a remaster.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never said it was hard to understand.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
I don't know this is a very complicated situation for the Xbox division, the hardware are nearly the same. If Sony shows the hardware before they will steal some effect of the PR goodwill from Microsoft like the Wired interview was great communication.

Some people don't like Sony is not at E3 but give information about next playstation generation when they want is a great strategy. This is more like guerrilla tactics. It made the Xbox Scarlett reveal less impressive at E3, imagine if they were the first to speak about the presence of an SSD.

Edit: And this is funny because the day of Wired interview, I had many work and meeting and I only see the article hours after it was posted on Internet.
Of course MS would want to beat it's competition to the punch, but they'd hardly want to compromise their own hype cycle for that.
Announcing a console over a year from release, and with the next event for reveals being E3, would create it's own set of problems.

Chiefly you'd have a vast stretch of time when Sony could hype up the PS5 andcorrect any of your perceived mistakes, while capitalising on the swan song of their generation.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Don't you meant Sony? :)
Uh Oh
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.