• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I can totally believe they're both working with cameras - PS5 has to support PSVR, so it will have to support A camera; I can see MS doing something with streaming, jumping into yet another social gaming thing since they've got Mixer going makes total sense.

100% expect neither of them to pack the camera in by default.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im still mad that we may have a genuine leaker, with access to both ps5 and scarlett dev kits, and all we got to show for it is that the dev kits have cameras and MS's camera > sonys. thats it!? come on
Not really, there's also a bunch of stuff about RT but Gizmodo is choosing to not fully disclosed what has been said at the moment.

Probably a good thing, since it seems like it could be interpreted in many possible ways.

God knows what will happen if misterxmedia and his ilk get a hold of that.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
oh wow! someone told me on this forum the tech was bought by apple. Wowzaaaa i didnt know. thank you for correcting me.
Apple bought PrimeSense in 2013. The iPhone face ID camera is actually a tiny Kinect.
truedepth-iphone-x-100735946-large.jpg

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Don't mean to be rude, but I've seen you misspell "Gonzalo" a few times now, and being my father's rl name, just wanted to point that fact to you, in good faith :)
Hmmmm, so the PS5 whatever was named after your father. You have been holding out n us.... get him to spill his guts and tell us everything he knows!!!
So the cameras are the emphasis of both next-gen consoles and if they are included by default, this means if the consoles cost 500 bucks, the camera will make the whole console cost 600 bucks????????
Idk how or why little snippests ofinfo like these get misconstrued and low outta proportion every single time.

Nowhere (and there is no reason to think so) does it say that either of them is singling out camera integration as the main focus of nextgen. The ONLY thing that leaker said is that in their respective camera implementations MS has the more robust of the two. What either of them are doing with cameras, how much attention they are giving it...etc is unknown. These are dev kits we are talking about, they are supposed to have a representation of sorts of every single piece of hardware the consoles will support (SUPPORT, not necessarily ship with).
Good one, so ps4 to ps4 pro was also the biggest ever at that time ;)
A factually correct assessment, albeit an obvious one. If we are talking about raw computational jumps, then of course whatever comes next will be the best in relation to what was there before it. If we are talking about x times jumps however that's a different thing.

Anyways, I still think that statement leaves a lot open to interpretation and could be very subjective. Especially when considering that a dev may talk about computational jumps much differently than we would, we tend to only mention the GPU.

I can totally believe they're both working with cameras - PS5 has to support PSVR, so it will have to support A camera; I can see MS doing something with streaming, jumping into yet another social gaming thing since they've got Mixer going makes total sense.

100% expect neither of them to pack the camera in by default.
I believe the next xbox is going to support VR too. Albeit their implementation will be more open than sony's and be compatible with any of the VR headsets currently available on PC right now.

Oct 27, 2017
So the cameras are the emphasis of both next-gen consoles and if they are included by default, this means if the consoles cost 500 bucks, the camera will make the whole console cost 600 bucks????????
The cameras aren't going to be that expensive. The Xbox one sounds more advance so maybe it costs more than the Sony one, but the PS5 camera is likely included to ensure VR market and make PSVR2 cheaper out of box.

a PS4 camera is like $60 new, on sale often for $40 or less since the start of this gen, and likely costs sub $20 to make, probably very little.

With SSD prices coming way down and UHD drives likely being cheaper as BR drives were in 2013, I don't think a camera would add too much, certainly not enough to add $100

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
If you remember, in 2009 there were two Israeli startups that made 3D cameras that track motion, one was PrimeSense which Microsoft made the Kinect with and the other was 3DV which Microsoft bought, killed and absorbed the patents and engineers in-order to remove any competition to Kinect from the market. 3DV was using TOF in their cameras, PrimeSense used casting of laser dots and an IR camera. The latest Kinect is actually using TOF, just like 3DV did, so an iPhone with a PrimeSense camera on the front (what Apple calls Face ID) is more of a Kinect than the latest Kinect.

The new Scarlett camera will probably use the same 3DV tech and I'm assuming they will be sold separately because obviously most users don't care about streaming, I don't see a point of spending even 15$ on a feature that most people won't use and the users that will use will gladly pay 50$ for streaming equipment.

Last edited:

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

That Microsoft Surface event today has me really excited about what they are going to do with Xbox Scarlett:

• They included their first dedicated AI chip in one of their devices, and I fully expect some type of AI hardware in Scarlett
  • They "co-engineered" a Ryzen "Surface Edition" chip with AMD, and that is the same engineering term that was used in the AMD press release back when Scarlett was announced. Basically articles are saying that the engineers from both companies were truly working together on the design and every tiny detail to maximize performance per watt for the target platform and form factor.
  • Panos Panay and his Surface hardware team just make incredible looking and functioning hardware devices, and his team was involved in the Xbox One X and the upcoming Scarlett.
  • The Surface Duo phone that runs Anroid that will come out next holiday 2020 looks amazing, and they teased someone playing Forza Horizon 4 on xCloud on it. So basically I will be very poor when I buy this to be my Xbox portable device next year with Scarlett :)

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
That Microsoft Surface event today has me really excited about what they are going to do with Xbox Scarlett:

• They included their first dedicated AI chip in one of their devices, and I fully expect some type of AI hardware in Scarlett
  • They "co-engineered" a Ryzen "Surface Edition" chip with AMD, and that is the same engineering term that was used in the AMD press release back when Scarlett was announced. Basically articles are saying that the engineers from both companies were truly working together on the design and every tiny detail to maximize performance per watt for the target platform and form factor.
  • Panos Panay and his Surface hardware team just make incredible looking and functioning hardware devices, and his team was involved in the Xbox One X and the upcoming Scarlett.
  • The Surface Duo phone that runs Anroid that will come out next holiday 2020 looks amazing, and they teased someone playing Forza Horizon 4 on xCloud on it. So basically I will be very poor when I buy this to be my Xbox portable device next year with Scarlett :)

Yeah,sounds interesting:

Oct 25, 2017

Yup.

Microsoft Ryzen Surface Edition:
12nm Ryzen 5 4C/8T + Vega 11 1.2TF at 15 Watts.

Microsoft SQ1:
7nm 8 Cores @ 3GHz and 2.1TF at 7 Watts.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Yup.

Microsoft Ryzen Surface Edition:
12nm Ryzen 5 4C/8T + Vega 11 1.2TF at 15 Watts.

Microsoft SQ1:
7nm 8 Cores @ 3GHz and 2.1TF at 7 Watts.
I do wonder why they went with 12nm Zen+ cores, instead of 7nm. My thoughts are that the long dev period of the device led them to start work before Zen 2 was ready (same with Navi). Still, the performance at that power consumption is pretty good.

I think the SQ1 might be the more interesting product overall though. I do wonder if the GPU compute is being listed as FP32, or FP16.

I def think this is a look at the collaboration we'll seen on the Scarlett APU.

Sep 28, 2019
The thread has always been like that since day 1 - if there is no info or any degree for interpretation/vagueness it's pushed hard by a number of prolific posters that it's obvious Scarlett will be more powerful. There was a point when we literally had no info at all but if you dared suggest that the PS5 be competitive (not even more powerful) with the new Xbox people would attack you and laugh at you.

Then the Reiner leak happened and all said people lost their shit. This leak happens and everyone assumes MS have the superior solution.

Team green have been very active in this thread from day one. People will play the "all sides are the same" nonsense, but these threads have been dominated from day one with people pushing Xbox as more powerful with either no info, or often even against the info we do have.

Will be interesting to see how things *actually* shake out because IMO it's about 50-50 which will be better.

actually how bad or good the next Xbox will be in relation to PS5 is realy from minor interest if we talk about MS chances in the Next Gen.

MS fucked up the most important Generation that has ever been. This Gen saw the uprising of Social Media and was realy the first one wich was so grafic focused with all those comparisons Vids from DF and what not. I know they also happend last Gen but to a lesser degree and more important MS and Sony where on the same eye level.

This Gen was soo bad for MS that they hardly ever recover from that. It set the foundation for all Gens to come.

There is also a indicator to find out if MS thinks iam right - if they go back to console Exclusives then they feel they can remotely challenge the PS5..
If not and all stays the same with MS Exclusives for PC then they know that the Console Sales Train already departed for Next Gen, without them.

To make things worse - This Gen saw many People that bought initally a XBox who feel the baked the wrong horse. But not many of them actually changed midgen to PS4.

The are a fucking lot People who craving for those exquisite Sony Exclusives namely HZD, Uncharted4 + Addon, GT Sport and alot more . And not even mentioning the big ones still to come like TLOU2 , Death Stranding and also Ghost of Tsushima.

With the comming PS5 and its BC to PS4 Games many of those who bought an Xbox this Gen will feel like they not making the same Mistake again and go for PS5.
Also psychology will play a role here because those PS4 Games will run with more frames, higher resolution and or more details. So it will plant the thought of *waiting in the end was good* because now they can expirience those PS4 Exclusives as the "Definitive Edition".
And if Sony is smart the would actively use that Oppertunity for Marketing.

To Xbox Folk:
please do not take this as an attack towards you. I just tryd to lay down my Point of view in a not judging manner. Actually i was sooo close in the beginning of buying a Xbox , because of RYSE.
the Game impressed the heck out of me at E3 and i think it was easily the most impressive showcase for a new generation of all generations. All peoples eyes did melt that time - also high end PC Peoples.
But then rumors started that later it would come to PS4 also ( wich never materialised) and alot of Friends did go PS4 . So i did also.

But MS apperantly learnt their lesson. They bought so many Studios for Exclusive contend that one must be curious whats about to come.
But they need REALY good Exclusives to lure People away from those shiny Sony Brands.. it will be a hard task.
And all that because of Don Mattrick. I think a secret dark council inside MS should form and find a solution for him. A solution including something or several things of that List: Ninjas, a basement, a all Seasons DVD Box of Big Brother, a good Toolset.
Something like that..

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
actually how bad or good the next Xbox will be in relation to PS5 is realy from minor interest if we talk about MS chances in the Next Gen.

MS fucked up the most important Generation that has ever been. This Gen saw the uprising of Social Media and was realy the first one wich was so grafic focused with all those comparisons Vids from DF and what not. I know they also happend last Gen but to a lesser degree and more important MS and Sony where on the same eye level.

This Gen was soo bad for MS that they hardly ever recover from that. It set the foundation for all Gens to come.

There is also a indicator to find out if MS thinks iam right - if they go back to console Exclusives then they feel they can remotely challenge the PS5..
If not and all stays the same with MS Exclusives for PC then they know that the Console Sales Train already departed for Next Gen, without them.

To make things worse - This Gen saw many People that bought initally a XBox who feel the baked the wrong horse. But not many of them actually changed midgen to PS4.

The are a fucking lot People who craving for those exquisite Sony Exclusives namely HZD, Uncharted4 + Addon, GT Sport and alot more . And not even mentioning the big ones still to come like TLOU2 , Death Stranding and also Ghost of Tsushima.

With the comming PS5 and its BC to PS4 Games many of those who bought an Xbox this Gen will feel like they not making the same Mistake again and go for PS5.
Also psychology will play a role here because those PS4 Games will run with more frames, higher resolution and or more details. So it will plant the thought of *waiting in the end was good* because now they can expirience those PS4 Exclusives as the "Definitive Edition".

To Xbox Folk:
please do not take this as an attack towards you. I just tryd to lay down my Point of view in a not judging manner. Actually i was sooo close in the beginning of buying a Xbox , because of RYSE.
the Game impressed the heck out of me at E3 and i think it was easily the most impressive showcase for a new generation of all generations. All peoples eyes did melt that time - also high end PC Peoples.
But then rumors started that later it would come to PS4 also ( wich never materialised) and alot of Friends did go PS4 . So i did also.

But MS apperantly learnt their lesson. They bought so many Studios for Exclusive contend that one must be curious whats about to come.
But they need REALY good Exclusives to lure People away from those shiny Sony Brands.. it will be a hard task.
And all that because of Don Mattrick. I think a secret dark council inside MS should form and find a solution for him. A solution including something or several things of that List: Ninjas, a basement, a all Seasons DVD Box of Big Brother, a good Toolset.
Something like that..
Nope, you didn't take into account that nextbox will have better camera :)

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
So if Microsoft and AMD's partnership resulted in a tablet as powerful as an Xbox One with just 15 watts.

Could you imagine what they can do with a 200w power budget?

Started to side with AegonSnake in his predictions lol.

Sep 28, 2019
User Warned: Trolling
what if - just as a thought experiment - lol- Imagine Sony would make the PS5 also a fully legit PC, with an additional Desktop OS. You could also play the MS Exclusives - how hilarious would that be. Internet would melt and Sony would get itself the UltraTroll Award lmao

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To Xbox Folk:

Something like that..
what if - just as a thought experiment - lol- Imagine Sony would make the PS5 also a fully legit PC, with an additional Desktop OS. You could also play the MS Exclusives - how hilarious would that be. Internet would melt and Sony would get itself the UltraTroll Award lmao

This is how you can tell a new generation is coming soon. Brace yourself for more and more console war fueled drivel.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said this in the SIE thread as well, but I'll repeat it here. Sony being bullish on pushing PS Now and PS4 remote play with new management is not a move I expected. It really makes me feel like they're going to be bullish on the hardware front too and try to push PS5 out as early as possible.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I said this in the SIE thread as well, but I'll repeat it here. Sony being bullish on pushing PS Now and PS4 remote play with new management is not a move I expected. It really makes me feel like they're going to be bullish on the hardware front too and try to push PS5 out as early as possible.
Honestly if the author's interpretation of PS5 ray tracing is true from the Gizmodo piece

Than we will have to call it the, 🐐Station 5

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
This is how you can tell a new generation is coming soon. Brace yourself for more and more console war fueled drivel.

Yep, by far the most interesting thing from today for this thread was the Microsoft Surface event with the "co-engineered" AMD Ryzen "Surface Edition" chip and custom integrated AI accelerator. Those are very tangible signs given the AMD press release about "co-engineering" on Xbox Scarlett after E3 that they are going to be doing some very interesting things that could actually impact gameplay in terms of overall compute power and use of AI.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmmm, so the PS5 whatever was named after your father. You have been holding out n us.... get him to spill his guts and tell us everything he knows!!!

Not only that but my best friend is also named Gonzalo...I think I'll invite them both to dinner and lock the door until one of them starts talking :P

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

Not that far fetched. If Microsoft and Google are getting (more) serious about gaming, a "smaller" company like Sony has to relatively punch above their weight.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
PS5's RT implementation is more capable, does more stuff than Scarlet's.

Yeah, it definitely makes sense to put stock into a "tipster" that dropped a bunch of crap anonymously to Gizmodo that wasn't even that interesting in general when the writers of the article even said that it was confusing what they said about it, LOL. Honestly I doubt that there are any third party developers out there at this point that truly understand what the heck is really going on with the level of ray tracing implementation on both next generation consoles given the lack of final hardware and current maturity of any supporting software to even implement to the hardware capabilities for ray tracing.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

I have a Surface Pro 4 and it's a beautiful device

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
More than likely, the cameras are separate accessories and Microsoft are investing more in it because of Mixer.

I hope they'll be separate, and you'd think Microsoft wouldn't make the same mistake twice in a row. I give them more credit than that. Yes, they're big on Mixer and will doubtless want a great camera available at launch.

Sony, on the other hand, has promised compatibility with the PSVR on day one. So we know the existing camera works, and that's likely what most devs are aware of and focusing on for launch. They're also widely expected to iterate on the PSVR concept, and seem disinclined to launch both the PS5 and a new VR solution at the same time for sticker shock reasons. They'll let people use their existing hardware for now and won't show anything new until they have a full revision of VR available. One year later? Two years later? I have no idea, and that very topic may be a source of debate and conflict within Sony. They could double down on VR, stretch it out, or even walk away entirely. That last option seems the least likely given the number of titles they keep investing in for the first-generation hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.