• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
In FLOPS...
RSX - 400 GFLOPs
PS4 - 1.8TFLOPs
4.5X increase

PS4 1.8TFLOPs X 4.5 is still less than 9TFLOPs that people are projecting.
However, PS3->PS4 was really higher than FLOPs would suggest. The architectural change was massive and GCN is much more efficient than what NV had back in G70 days.
I'm pretty sure he was including architectural differences. I trust him honestly. Yes, GPU progress has slowed but by too much.

Some news for the most optimistic members in this thread:

RDNA2 is not a topic for next gen. Why I say that because the most recent AMD Corporate Slide Deck talks about 7nm+ and RDNA2 as "In Design" and not as "Design complete". Time now would be to short for expecting this new technology in next-gen consoles.

LpmgVQ2.png
Would a RDNA 1/2 combo still be possible you think?

Oct 27, 2017
nah, 8.5tf navi, 1tb very fast ssd, 24gb gddr6 and I would pay 499$ for it
btw not every gen seems arch advantage, at least not in case perf/tf, see vega vs polaris (not great example as vega is much bigger but still)
In the grand scheme of things, Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are selling what, 20% of total Xbox and Ps4s sold? That's like 20Mish total combined when this gen is over, maybe 25M, compared to a total of 150M+ combined PS4/Xbox sales, I think 80% of most consumers would not even notice if they were only 8-9TFs

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
didnt the amd patent say that rt is built into CUs unlike the nvidia rtx cards which have dedicated RT cores.
annotation2019-09-112g2jvd.png

This "engine" is dedicated RT h/w. You may call it a "core" or not, it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Also there are no discernible "RT cores" on any die shot of any Turing GPU so it's anyone's guess where they are located. But the fact is that the number of "RT cores" in 20 series cards is linked to the number of active SM units so it's highly likely that NV's "RT core" is a part of Turing's SM (CU).

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
annotation2019-09-112g2jvd.png

This "engine" is dedicated RT h/w. You may call it a "core" or not, it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Also there are no discernible "RT cores" on any die shot of any Turing GPU so it's anyone's guess where they are located. But the fact is that the number of "RT cores" in 20 series cards is linked to the number of active SM units so it's highly likely that NV's "RT core" is a part of Turing's SM (CU).

You could do a differential shot with a "Turing" card that doesn't have RT like the 1660.

Would a RDNA 1/2 combo still be possible you think?

Yes. OG Xbox, PS4, PS4 Pro, and Xbox 360 have all had GPU features from unreleased GPUs. It's commonplace for consoles.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
You could do a differential shot with a "Turing" card that doesn't have RT like the 1660.
What shots I've seen don't show much difference between these. The SMs look kinda similar and there's nothing apparently present on a TU10x chip which is absent from a TU11x one. NV's RT cores are likely just a functional unit inside Turing's SM, they are no more "dedicated" than any other unit inside an SM or CU.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
What shots I've seen don't show much difference between these. The SMs look kinda similar and there's nothing apparently present on a TU10x chip which is absent from a TU11x one. NV's RT cores are likely just a functional unit inside Turing's SM, they are no more "dedicated" than any other unit inside an SM or CU.
That wouldn't surprise me. People are expecting these big cores when it reality it's a unit that generates inputs for the other ALU hardware already there.

Feb 10, 2018
I just want to clarify, saying "hardware supports raytracing" does not mean it has dedicated raytracing hardware.
You could say the X1X and PS4 Pro hardware "supports raytracing" and that would not be an incorrect statement.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes. OG Xbox, PS4, PS4 Pro, and Xbox 360 have all had GPU features from unreleased GPUs. It's commonplace for consoles.
Because the new designs were on the same process node. RDNA2 and RDNA are on different process nodes. But we will see ... I am little bit more sceptic here .... I also believe that the RT implementation will be different for MS and Sony, but that is just a gut feeling ...

Last edited:

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Because the new designs were on the same process node. RDNA2 and RDNA are on different process nodes. But we will see ... I am little bit more sceptic here .... I also believe that the RT implementation will be different for MS and Sony, but that is just a gut feeling ...

I have to admit-this is something i really don't get.I mean,yes,of course it is possible but how much drastically different RT implementation can be when both Sony and MS are working with the same AMD tech.? One of them (or both) developed in-house HW RT solution?Using RT from Imagination tech? But why should they do that?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit-this is something i really don't get.I mean,yes,of course it is possible but how much drastically different RT implementation can be when both Sony and MS are working with the same AMD tech.? One of them (or both) developed in-house HW RT solution?Using RT from Imagination tech? But why should they do that?
I don't think they would either. In terms of process development it makes more sense to have a unified solution, considering AMD is doing the design. AMD will want to reuse and leverage the Process IP as much as possibleS

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My gut feelings always have a good chance to be wrong ;)

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Don't know for an inhouse RT solution but Imgtec solution has two advantages scene hierarchy generator with a generation of the BVH and searching from fixed-function every frame...

Nvidia currently does not have this and do some R&D for having a solution for BVH generation because currently it does not support LOD and animated object work wit a hack:

And imgtec solution have ray reordering too...

EDIT: But Sony is using probably AMD tech or an inhouse solution, maybe the difference is the light transport algorithm...

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to clarify, saying "hardware supports raytracing" does not mean it has dedicated raytracing hardware.
You could say the X1X and PS4 Pro hardware "supports raytracing" and that would not be an incorrect statement.
Someone could, but I wouldn't trust anyone, especially someone like Mark Cerny that definitely knows better, that seriously tried to do that as part of corporate PR. By that metric, virtually all computing hardware supports raytracing, so it's a completely meaningless statement. It's like saying "hardware supports web browsers" or "hardware supports climate simulation" when it's just a 486 running Windows 3.11. Which, by the way, the hardware I most used ray tracing software on was a 486 with POVRAY.

So if someone's saying the hardware supports ray tracing, there better be customization designed to accelerate ray-tracing algorithms faster than simply running on a current general purpose (non-RTX) CPU or GPU.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
As amd only recently have patent for hybrid rt implementation I think many sony and microsoft engineers could help with own solutions so I think there can be difference in rt approach.

Feb 10, 2018

Some people here seem to think that and RT core will be part of each compute unit, but I don't know why AMD would use this approach, why would nvidia have the RT cores separate and why would AMD not do this as well.
Seeing how Nvidia has separate RT cores I think it is most likely AMD will go this route too.
Therefore the amount of RT cores will be up to Sony and MS.
So they will have to choose the best balance of RT cores and compute units, there is a good chance that the 2 companies have different priorities in this area.
Just for example ms could try and want the best of both world to have good raster performance and be very good at tracing so they could go for 9tflops and 2080 level of ray tracing, where Sony have more invested interest in VR where raster performance is more important and they could go for 11tflops and 2060 level of raytracing....

Or they could be bother similar lol

Feb 10, 2018
Someone could, but I wouldn't trust anyone, especially someone like Mark Cerny that definitely knows better, that seriously tried to do that as part of corporate PR. By that metric, virtually all computing hardware supports raytracing, so it's a completely meaningless statement. It's like saying "hardware supports web browsers" or "hardware supports climate simulation" when it's just a 486 running Windows 3.11. Which, by the way, the hardware I most used ray tracing software on was a 486 with POVRAY.

So if someone's saying the hardware supports ray tracing, there better be customization designed to accelerate ray-tracing algorithms faster than simply running on a current general purpose (non-RTX) CPU or GPU.

True, but it remains "highly likely" the ps5 will have hardware RT, and not "confirmed"

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Hear! Hear!

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Some news for the most optimistic members in this thread:

RDNA2 is not a topic for next gen. Why I say that because the most recent AMD Corporate Slide Deck talks about 7nm+ and RDNA2 as "In Design" and not as "Design complete". Time now would be to short for expecting this new technology in next-gen consoles.

LpmgVQ2.png

You could just as easily read "In Design" to mean RDNA2 based products "in design"; which in comparison to GCN and RDNA "shipping" would follow the same logical basis.

If AMD are still designing the architecture for RDNA2 at the moment, they aren't even going to be able to ship GPUs till 2022 or beyond.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Don't know for an inhouse RT solution but Imgtec solution has two advantages scene hierarchy generator with a generation of the BVH and searching from fixed-function every frame...

Nvidia currently does not have this and do some R&D for having a solution for BVH generation because currently it does not support LOD and animated object work wit a hack:

And imgtec solution have ray reordering too...

EDIT: But Sony is using probably AMD tech or an inhouse solution, maybe the difference is the light transport algorithm...
ImgTec architecture and patents are available for licensing. It will be interesting to see if they have any takers.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
ImgTec architecture and patents are available for licensing. It will be interesting to see if they have any takers.

I think you mentioned recently,and i fully agree,that we shouldn't expect from next gen consoles proprietary stuff that includes paying licence fees (like Dolby Vision).

But in this case Imgtec is almost kinda desperate so yeah,it is possible i guess.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017
Let's say you are right, wonder how that could affect it on one console more than the other. Like, could it be more complicated on one than the other that we'd get lesser results? MS does have some kind of implementation on Windows I think with Direct X.

I can only imagine DF: PS5 runs x game at 4K 60fps, while Scarlett has drops in heavy scenes to 55-56fps. However, RT implementation is better on Scarlett, with a higher level of detail in reflections compared to PS5.

Would make things interesting to say the least!

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
These announcements are often made after the fact. That doesn't mean I think it's likely to show up in consoles. ImgTec is hurting since losing Apple so they need to leverage their IP any way they can.

The reason I think this is a possibility is why AMD is open about collaboration on raytracing with Microsoft and not Sony and another reason is there is no recent raytracing patent from Sony side. They have some light transport patent but no raytracing patent... If this is not an AMD solution I doubt it will be an inhouse one but maybe there will be some patent about it later...

On another topic about physic and why physics was better before in videogame...

Very interesting article about an indie game based on physics and one of the reasons for regression compared to the past is multiplayer-oriented games are an open problem for physics:

As for the future of physics engines, Gustafsson described networked multiplayer physics as the final frontier.

"Networked physics can be done in two ways — either you send the state of all objects to all clients all the time, or you just send the inputs and make sure all clients behave exactly the same. The first method takes a lot of bandwidth and will cause glitches when two players interact with the same object. The second one introduces an unacceptable lag, which can be hidden by predicting the world state and [making] corrections later on, but that is too slow with lots of physics, so none of them really work on a large scale."

There is light on the horizon though, he said. "When or if we move over to cloud streaming that will partially solve these issues because all clients run on some central server farm with really fast internal connections, but cloud streaming might introduce other issues. I guess we'll find out soon."

Multiplayer physics may be the holy grail of game physics engines, but Gustafsson himself is in no hurry to tackle it. His own project will be a single-player affair, for starters. But more than that, Gustafsson pointed to the soaring popularity of online multiplayer as one of the reasons mainline studios haven't made any Half-Life 2-tier physics advances recently.

"A lot of people, myself included, enjoy playing with physics, but in some ways physics in games even had to take a step back over the last decade in favor of online multiplayer. Nowadays people expect to play with their friends online and I think that makes a lot of developers steer away from physics-driven gameplay. Half-Life 2 is still one of the best implementations of physics in games and that released fifteen years ago, so I don't think it's only about technology."

Last edited:

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
True, but it remains "highly likely" the ps5 will have hardware RT, and not "confirmed"
I used to agree that it could be read that way, but the more I think about it the less I can support that position. The exact quote is
"The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon's Navi family, will support ray tracing..."
Do we assume based on that quote that the CPU doesn't support ray tracing?

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Developers (respected ones at that) told us specifically to not expect it.
I've learned that devs always underestimate certain things (and overestimate on other things too of course). I feel most devs right now aren't really that enthusiast (based on interviews) about next-gen. A lot of people think devs know everything about the equipment their working with. Everybody, devs and players, will be surprised!

Aug 26, 2019
The reason I think this is a possibility is why AMD is open about collaboration on raytracing with Microsoft and not Sony and another reason is there is no recent raytracing patent from Sony side. They have some light transport patent but no raytracing patent... If this is not an AMD solution I doubt it will be an inhouse one but maybe there will be some patent about it later...

On another topic about physic and why physics was better before in videogame...

Very interesting article about an indie game based on physics and one of the reasons for regression compared to the past is multiplayer-oriented games are an open problem for physics:
Hmmm but I was disappointed with the physics even in SP games this gen. This also doesn't bode well for my hope that sports games get revolutionized physics.

I also wonder if a game like GTA will get BeamNG physics, but that doesn't really seem likely

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Hmmm but I was disappointed with the physics even in SP games this gen. This also doesn't bode well for my hope that sports games get revolutionized physics

HZD has not bad physics(or faking it with animation), the only problem is Aloy interaction with foliage. They have pretty destruction fighting the machine but not permanent when you quit an area this is not staying or it could evolve destruction with a tree growing back... They need to do some graphical sacrifice if they wanted to keep it into the game because of a streaming problem(too slow HDD), they would need to keep it inside memory and do some graphical sacrifice...

EDIT: This is the first thing my friend told me SSD speed will help games needing to keep the state of a world without needing to sacrifice graphics because you need to keep tons of things inside memory... SSD will help a lot with this type of things and open-world details...

Aug 26, 2019
HZD has not bad physics(or faking it with animation), the only problem is Aloy interaction with foliage. They have pretty destruction fighting the machine but not permanent when you quit an area this is not staying or it could evolve destruction with a tree growing back... They need to do some graphical sacrifice if they wanted to keep it into the game because of a streaming problem(too slow HDD), they would need to keep it inside memory and do some graphical sacrifice...

EDIT: This is the first thing my friend told me it will help games needing to keep state of a world without needing to sacrifice graphics...
So for that purpose, fast storage and more main memory should solve that issue right?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
So for that purpose, fast storage and more main memory should solve that issue right?

Yes, I think we will see huge improvement on dynamism inside open-world, open-world scale and details (graphics nearly as good as a linear game). It can help Guerrilla Games, the open world was the weakest part of the game...

There were things in Far Cry 2 we don't see in current-gen openworld games...

Aug 26, 2019
Yes, I think we will see huge improvement on dynamism inside open-world, open-world scale and details (graphics nearly as good as a linear game). It can help Guerrilla Games, the open world was the weakest part of the game...

There were things in Far Cry 2 we don't see in current-gen openworld games...
Even in Gears 4 to Gears 5, physics were toned down in certain areas. But Gears 5 had higher-res textures and poly-counts. I'm guessing that as asset quality is increased, more memory is required to have them persist?

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
We couldn't have great physics in this generation as physics on gpu turned out to fail and consoles cpu was jaguar.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Even in Gears 4 to Gears 5, physics were toned down in certain areas. I'm guessing that as asset quality is increased, more memory is required to have them persist?

Yes and HDD is a big handicap with the growing size of assets... Or you can do like Bethesda does and diminish graphics quality... An SSD is probably one of the biggest things for Bethesda game... They will not have to sacrifice graphics to have a dynamic world...

Many games with good or great physics like control reset the state of the physics when quitting a certain area at least it is well integrated into Control story...

We couldn't have great physics in this generation as physics on gpu turned out to fail and consoles cpu was jaguar.

Half life 2 launch in 2004 and had better physics than tons of current-gen game. The guy talking inside the interview is a specialist of physic engine and founded and indie game company specialized in games with gameplay using physics...

EDIT: Thereare things done in physics in MGS 2 we don't see so much this generation or we had the Red Faction series before...

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019
Yes and HDD is a big handicap with the growing size of assets... Or you can do like Bethesda does and diminish graphics quality... An SSD is probably one of the biggest things for Bethesda game... They will not have to sacrifice graphics to have a dynamic world...

Many games with good or great physics like control reset the state of the physics when quitting a certain area at least it is well integrated into Control story...
Always love when technological limitations are worked into the story/gameplay. I recall that in Jak and Daxter, Jak would trip if he was running and the next area hadn't been loaded yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.