• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
As predicted yesterday, the gamespot article with the interview with Colin Penty, Technical Art Director The Coalition is now changed in wording and "dedicated RT cores" are gone!

SJmD8bU.png

Source

cc: SeanMN Dictator
Hah - thanks Colbert

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
They're definitely transitioning all their first party games to 60fps, that's for sure.
Transitioning from what exactly? Most of their leading 1st party titles have been 60 fps on XBO already.
I also feel that this is still going to be 100% up to the developers and will vary between titles according to gameplay and such.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Transitioning from what exactly? Most of their leading 1st party titles have been 60 fps on XBO already.
I also feel that this is still going to be 100% up to the developers and will vary between titles according to gameplay and such.
Indeed. The devs decide the frame rate with their games. But you could hope that it is easier with next gen to achieve 60 fps without sacrificing the original vision. That is something I at least hope for.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, fingers crossed that at the very least, 30fps and 60fps caps are optional. VRR is going to be so good.
Considering that VRR won't be a standard feature during the duration of next gen console h/w all console games will still have to target either 30 or 60 for setups without VRR.
Those with VRR are likely to get options of unlimited framerates which will go either above 30 in 30 fps titles or above 60 in 60 fps titles.
I'm assuming that there will still be some form of framerate limiting though as most people likely won't be happy with games running with VRR alternating between 30 and some 150 fps all the time.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Considering that VRR won't be a standard feature during the duration of next gen console h/w all console games will still have to target either 30 or 60 for setups without VRR.
Those with VRR are likely to get options of unlimited framerates which will go either above 30 in 30 fps titles or above 60 in 60 fps titles.
I'm assuming that there will still be some form of framerate limiting though as most people likely won't be happy with a games running with VRR alternating between 30 and some 150 fps all the time.

Oh sure, but I'm just talking about making the caps an option. Any game with a framerate target will frequently go above that target, that's just how games work (unless they use dynamic res, I guess). Just give every game a Frame Rate Cap section in the options with '30', '60' and '120' for future-proofing on the PS5 Pro or the PS6, with the default being selected by the devs.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I can't imagine Sony or Microsoft being this dumb. What if you want to take your console with you on a trip, on your mobile home, RV or whatever.
Spencer talked about using your home console to stream remotely. That would definitely require always online.

This gen has been largely successful at copy protection, so I don't see a need for online DRM protection.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I think all Xbox first party games will be 60fps+ when Scarlett launches, all of them.

Yep, Gears 5 clearly demonstrates this imo. They didn't have to target 60fps for the campaign on Xbox One X. But they did, and it looks amazing. Can't wait for their other games. I'm especially looking forward to Forza Horizon 5: Probably 4K + 60fps, improved weather effects, better lighting... game will look insane!

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
CONTINUED: So, uh, I was chatting with that dev again (more hype-fuel if you like) and I don't know if he knows this for sure or if he's just estimating based on the stuff the public knows but he suggested that the GPU leap from PS4-5 is bigger than the GPU leap from PS3-4!

Don't know if I said too much.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
CONTINUED: So, uh, I was chatting with that dev again (more hype-fuel if you like) and I don't know if he knows this for sure or if he's just estimating based on the stuff the public knows but he suggested that the GPU leap from PS4-5 is bigger than the GPU leap from PS3-4!

Any news on Scarlett?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Yep, Gears 5 clearly demonstrates this imo. They didn't have to target 60fps for the campaign on Xbox One X. But they did, and it looks amazing. Can't wait for their other games. I'm especially looking forward to Forza Horizon 5: Probably 4K + 60fps, improved weather effects, better lighting... game will look insane!
Gears 5 demonstrate nothing about policy because it still needs to be compatible with Xbox one.
But it demonstrate the awesome scability of their engine and the huge difference between the two consoles.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
60 fps ray traced games is a pipe dream. maybe some shooters like cod, doom and battlefield but going by control, i just dont see how even heavily optimized games with ray traced effects, destruction and physics can run at 60 fps on next gen console GPUs. my rtx 2080 has to run the game at 960p and then dlss up to 1440p just to hit 60 fps with all ray tracing effects enabled. we would be lucky to get a console as powerful as a 2080.

gears is a 30 fps game. its only 60 fps because the x is so damn powerful they were able to take the 30 fps game on a 1.3 tflops gpu and run it at 60 fps on the 6 tflops gpu. if they design the game on a 12 tflops gpu, they will try to push graphics and physics first, framerate second. you will get your 60 fps modes in mid gen refreshes or on PC.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
60 fps ray traced games is a pipe dream. maybe some shooters like cod, doom and battlefield but going by control, i just dont see how even heavily optimized games with ray traced effects, destruction and physics can run at 60 fps on next gen console GPUs. my rtx 2080 has to run the game at 960p and then dlss up to 1440p just to hit 60 fps with all ray tracing effects enabled. we would be lucky to get a console as powerful as a 2080.

gears is a 30 fps game. its only 60 fps because the x is so damn powerful they were able to take the 30 fps game on a 1.3 tflops gpu and run it at 60 fps on the 6 tflops gpu. if they design the game on a 12 tflops gpu, they will try to push graphics and physics first, framerate second. you will get your 60 fps modes in mid gen refreshes or on PC.
I can't say much necessarily but don't doubt so fast! ;)

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
If they consistently target this with FP games, regular players will start to notice and expect it. I hope that's where we get to this gen.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

In FLOPS...
RSX - 400 GFLOPs
PS4 - 1.8TFLOPs
4.5X increase

PS4 1.8TFLOPs X 4.5 is still less than 9TFLOPs that people are projecting.
However, PS3->PS4 was really higher than FLOPs would suggest. The architectural change was massive and GCN is much more efficient than what NV had back in G70 days.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
In FLOPS...
RSX - 400 GFLOPs
PS4 - 1.8TFLOPs
4.5X increase

However, PS3->PS4 was really higher than FLOPs would suggest. The architectural change was massive and GCN is much more efficient than what NV had back in G70 days.
Rsx is 192 gflops according to wiki
edit: ok depend how to calculate as it's old arch with independent vertex and pixel shader

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to framerate I wouldn't be surprised if we got a lot of 60fps games early on, less steady but VRR friendly frame rates a couple years in, and then dropping to 30 for a target on the launch consoles while Pro and X focus on performance.

I could also see a scenario where they let people choose native 4K at all times with a 30 cap or dynamic res with temporal upscaling for 60. Both would look great and please everyone without a ton of added work on the dev side and the dynamic elements would be immediately upgraded on mid gen refreshes.

As predicted yesterday, the gamespot article with the interview with Colin Penty, Technical Art Director The Coalition is now changed in wording and "dedicated RT cores" are gone!

SJmD8bU.png

Source

cc: SeanMN Dictator
The ninjas are especially brutal this time.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
the xbox 360 gpu is a better comparison. it was 250 gflops and much better than the rsx. nvidia just lied out of their ass and fooled sony into thinking it was a powerful gpu. lol

1.84/.250=7.36x
and if df is right and navi is ~1.6x more effective than tahiti we need just over 8.46tf navi to beat it ;) back to 9tf prediction ;d

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and if df is right and navi is ~1.6x more effective than tahiti we need just over 8.46tf navi to beat it ;) back to 9tf prediction ;d
ive said this before numerous times, every gen sees architectural efficiences. im sure the AMD GPU in the 360 was far less efficient with i\ts flops than the tahiti GPU in the x1. and yet NO ONE takes that into account. everyone just looks at a 5x increase and calls it a day.

neither Sony or MS would be able to get away with an 8.4 tflops gpu just because Navi tflops are more efficient. especially if they plan on releasing $500 consoles. especially after MS went on and on about 6 tflops in their marketing.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
In FLOPS...
RSX - 400 GFLOPs
PS4 - 1.8TFLOPs
4.5X increase

The RSX was not 400 Gflops, this was an inflated number... The true number is 230 Gflops

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
ive said this before numerous times, every gen sees architectural efficiences. im sure the AMD GPU in the 360 was far less efficient with i\ts flops than the tahiti GPU in the x1. and yet NO ONE takes that into account. everyone just looks at a 5x increase and calls it a day.

neither Sony or MS would be able to get away with an 8.4 tflops gpu just because Navi tflops are more efficient. especially if they plan on releasing $500 consoles. especially after MS went on and on about 6 tflops in their marketing.
nah, 8.5tf navi, 1tb very fast ssd, 24gb gddr6 and I would pay 499$ for it
btw not every gen seems arch advantage, at least not in case perf/tf, see vega vs polaris (not great example as vega is much bigger but still)

Last edited:

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
He didn't let it slip. The implication is that there are no dedicated RT cores. It's in line with the AMD patent, so not a huge change in expectations, at least for some.
I don't think there's enough information to determine what the implication is.

It could be a correction due to it being information that wasn't suppose to be shared, it could be inaccurate, or it could be both of those things.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Seems kind of odd to specifically say dedicated RT cores if that's not the case.
Not really... its a common mistake, people throw cores around all the time. And because that statement is incorrect doesn't mean its a bad thing. RT hardware is more accurate, kinda like how GPUs have texture mapping hardware, or compute hardware... those aren't called cores are they? they are just called "units" which means they are are subset of the GPU. So there will be RT specific hardware in the GPU, RT units if you will...
I think people are getting too hung up on meaningless nomenclature. Cores or not, it's all just dedicated function hardware, be Nvidia's discrete entity or AMD's TMU-adjacent implementation.
Exactly.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Some news for the most optimistic members in this thread:

RDNA2 is not a topic for next gen. Why I say that because the most recent AMD Corporate Slide Deck talks about 7nm+ and RDNA2 as "In Design" and not as "Design complete". Time now would be to short for expecting this new technology in next-gen consoles.

LpmgVQ2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.