• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think they should drop a tease for their event. Get the hype wave rolling after BF is done and build anticipation for an event late Winter. TGA viewership has been going up steadily, so I think it's a good venue.
Sony doesn't need hype. The thing with hype is that it sets up a lot of expectations and you know how it usually turns out. Sony rarely hypes its own events, unlike MS.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
well, you do need to hype up your new console unveiling event.
They literally sent out a tweet announcing Playstation meeting back in January 2013. They could just tweet out an announcement for the meeting 2 weeks before and all eyes will be on them. All I'm saying is that Sony doesn't need an event to hype up PS meeting.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Epic is preparing for next-gen: now even normal people can develop for next-gen without requesting a special build from them:

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/unre...rovements-adds-chaos-physics-system-and-more/

I bet what Kleegamefan saw in his game was a version of the chaos engine that devs could get their hands on like any devs before anyone else and before it got officially released as a beta for now. The whole features are still in beta so no wonder the game was choppy so in the final days I am sure the game will perform very well using all those techs.
chaos physics huh? thats my kinda stuff ;p
They literally sent out a tweet announcing Playstation meeting back in January 2013. They could just tweet out an announcement for the meeting 2 weeks before and all eyes will be on them.
iirc they also built up to it with the history of playstation videos.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Thanks to vspectra on B3D about the backstage demo. They made it to be able to have the Luminous engine ready for the DXR Scarlett raytracing and the implementation of raytracing for PS5. Logically PS5 has a different API than DXR...

The Luminous Studio head mentioned this in his presentation regarding the demo. But yeah all of the direct lighting, GI, AO, shadows, reflections are path-traced.

"In addition, the scene contains many translucent objects, including hair and eyelashes. When a ray hits a polygon that makes up such a semi-transparent object, it is necessary to read the texture and test whether it is opaque or semi-transparent every time.

Nonetheless, if everything is drawn with ray tracing, it can't be moved in real time, so there are a number of compromises. For example, in the case of skin expression, a subcutaneous scattering simulation that throws countless rays under the skin is not performed, and the same processing as the simple subsurface scattering technique "Screen Space Subsurface Scattering", which is often used in recent game graphics, is used as a proxy."

They started developing the demo back in June. The first version they developed only ran at 5fps.

Also, regarding next-gen consoles:

"Since the Back Stage demo has been developed as a demo that runs on Windows, in order to implement real-time ray tracing, it is necessary to install "DirectX Raytracing" (hereinafter DXR), a real-time ray tracing framework for Windows 10.

However, Luminous Productions must also consider compatibility with stationary game machines other than Windows PCs. Moreover, the next-generation Playstation and the next-generation Xbox " Project Scarlett" have been predicted to support ray tracing.

As with the current Xbox One series, the next-generation PlayStation is expected to adopt its own real-time ray tracing framework, apart from Project Scarlett, which is sure to be based on Windows x DirectX.

Therefore, Aramaki says that Luminous Engine has intentionally abstracted the functional blocks that perform ray-tracing processing without using DXR-only specifications. In other words, the Luminous Engine side defines the API and functions for ray tracing processing and controls the DXR from here. Now, for example, in order to support the next generation PlayStation, the same graphics can be drawn just by replacing the abstraction layer."

jHsl9WO.jpg

QgMgx07.jpg

toOexpP.jpg

Last edited:

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
man running gears and control on my new pc, i can only imagine what ps5 games will look like if theyre capped @ 30fps like most console single player games are.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The only tease Sony ( or any product company needs ) is to send out their product announcement/unveiling invitation with enough lead time for all the major press outlets/publications in the world to be able to book flights/prepare their people to cover the event.

You know, like Apple or Samsung whenever they do their unveilings.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
They were both LGs.

Dad's was C7, brother B6. Dad is a CNN guy, he got it worst. Brothers has a noticeable dark spot in the top right. Not sure what from but he has 5 kids that use it daily so could be anything.

They spent thousands on those screens.

Interesting. CNN for hours a day with those graphics is probably the worse case scenario for burn in but then it really shouldn't happen on these TVs any way. I assume your family are in the US and wonder if you guys don't get a minimum of 5 years warranty? Most with OLED TVs here (UK) just get a replacement or new panel fitted for any burn in.

I'm still torn though because for every TV I ever bought there were horror stories about various issues that I have never had. In fact over the years I only had one problem TV (HDMI issue).

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. CNN for hours a day with those graphics is probably the worse case scenario for burn in but then it really shouldn't happen on these TVs any way. I assume your family are in the US and wonder if you guys don't get a minimum of 5 years warranty? Most with OLED TVs here (UK) just get a replacement or new panel fitted for any burn in.

I'm still torn though because for every TV I ever bought there were horror stories about various issues that I have never had. In fact over the years I only had one problem TV (HDMI issue).
I wish you luck friend. May your choice be the right one for you :)

Apparently ratings.com did a test run last year. The CNN results are similar to what happened to my dad's set.

I won't touch OLED with a 10ft pole

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
These pics are from someone on mydealz.de with an LG C8. The person said they watched a certain morning TV show (Sat.1 Frühstücksfernsehen) from 6-8am every day for 4 months and this is the result:

22823556.jpg

22823556.jpg

Daaaayum. This is why I will not purchase an OLED until they fix this shit for good.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
well, you do need to hype up your new console unveiling event.
They literally sent out a tweet announcing Playstation meeting back in January 2013. They could just tweet out an announcement for the meeting 2 weeks before and all eyes will be on them. All I'm saying is that Sony doesn't need an event to hype up PS meeting.
iirc they also built up to it with the history of playstation videos.

Kaz said in January 2013...

You may have noticed that there are lots of rumours flying about regarding next-gen consoles. No one knows definitely when Microsoft and Sony will unveil their successors to the current Xbox and PlayStation, but Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai has said that it will let Microsoft make the first move.

In the Business section of The Times today, Hirai said, "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"

...so that didn't leave much time to hype February's unveiling event.

Feb 10, 2018
I hope next gen they improve apon sunny outdoor direct lighting.
In most games it completely takes away the detail of character models, makes them look so bland and last gen.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I hope next gen they improve apon sunny outdoor direct lighting.
In most games it completely takes away the detail of character models, makes them look so bland and last gen.

I think this is ok out of the skin. I know this gen for all semi transparent surface like skin all subsurface scattering is not using PBR because this is too costly for realtime, in backstage demo, they don't use raytracing for subsurface scattering because this is too much for realtime rendering.

In The Order 1886 the most expensive shader is the subsurface scattering skin shader and they don't use PBR like every current gen game. Don't know if next generation console are powerful enough to solve the problem and use PBR for subsurface scattering. They will probably not be powerful enough for raytracing subsurface scattering but maybe this will be ok for use PBR for subsurface scattering surface... I don't think so but we need a confirmation...

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
I think this is ok out of the skin. I know this gen for all semi transparent surface like skin all subsurface scattering is not using PBR because this is too costly for realtime, here they don't use raytracing for subsurface scattering I cause this is too much for subsurface scattering. In The Order 1886 the most expensive shader is the subsurface scattering skin shader and they don't use PBR like every current gen game. Don't know if next generation console are powerful enough to solve the problem.

I noticed when playing uncharted LL, the environments look amazing and so do the character models in certain lighting, but most of the game takes place in direct sunlight outside, and I'm like dam her face don't look that good.
It's like the main weakness for me this gen.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I noticed when playing uncharted LL, the environments look amazing and so do the character models in certain lighting, but most of the game takes place in direct sunlight outside, and I'm like dam her face don't look that good.
It's like the main weakness for me this gen.
What about yakuza 6, faces in cinematics (realtime) are great but back to gameplay and difference is huge.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
These pics are from someone on mydealz.de with an LG C8. The person said they watched a certain morning TV show (Sat.1 Frühstücksfernsehen) from 6-8am every day for 4 months and this is the result:

22823556.jpg

22823556.jpg

Daaaayum. This is why I will not purchase an OLED until they fix this shit for good.
A pixel clear of the panel from settings should fix most of those temporary burn-ins. I watch a lot of twitch and get a temporary burn-in that is always cleared when I do that. Not buying OLED because of this is like not driving in cars because of the risk of crashing :)

Heaven Shard

Aug 31, 2019
I expect even in next gen sub surface scattering will be too expensive to do. They may bake it or fake or use the other method mentioned here. It's hard for me to picture FIFA with sub surface scattering. I'm guessing they'll reserve the budget for the most noticeable flashier things first.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Hair looks very good in the Square Enix... I think next generation we will begin to notice in cutscene more and more animation problem. For example in TLOU2 PGW cutscene the coat of the two men are too rigid...

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Forget Yakuza 6. Uncharted 4, a game commonly cited as one of the best looking today occasionally turns off subsurface scattering in gameplay as well

Is it off at all times or is it dynamically adjusted around rest of the game load at any given time (because sometimes it is very clear that it is lacking SSR but at other times, I can't figure it out)?

I ask because:

Cutscene:

2b0c811160522534.jpg

Gameplay:

3ef9851160522814.jpg

Cutscene:

fdd1721160526854.png

Gameplay:

5caf2e1160526044.jpg

53cb9f1160527544.png

Oct 25, 2017
Thats the field which nextgens can change - gameplay with quality of current in game cinematics

Some of the effects/post processing stuff used in cutscenes would go a long way in improving in-game visuals, that's for sure.

I'm playing Gears 5 on the X, and the jump between cutscenes and gameplay is notable for this very reason, especially for the faces.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it off at all times or is it dynamically adjusted around rest of the game load at any given time (because sometimes it is very clear that it is lacking SSR but at other times, I can't figure it out)?

I ask because:

Cutscene:

2b0c811160522534.jpg

Gameplay:

3ef9851160522814.jpg

Cutscene:

fdd1721160526854.png

Gameplay:

5caf2e1160526044.jpg

53cb9f1160527544.png
You're correct, it is turned off and on depending on the engine load. Similar to how shadow resolution is also scaled according to load, where in quiet closed moments like the house, shadows are very high res, but in action packed setpieces, shadows are very low res

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Some of the effects/post processing stuff used in cutscenes would go a long way in improving in-game visuals, that's for sure.

I'm playing Gears 5 on the X, and the jump between cutscenes and gameplay is notable for this very reason, especially for the faces.
Yeah, and some guys think we can't improve quality without rt ;)

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
One thing about "turning sub-surface scattering" off in gameplay, is that it may not always be the case.

Better Sub-Surface Scatterings need firect lights and direct shadows - high-res shadow maps. If the lighting in an area is just driven by a cubemap, or some low-res imabe based lighting, or static light maps... then the Sub-Surface Scattering may not even show at all even though it is on!

Heaven Shard

Aug 31, 2019
Yeah, and some guys think we can't improve quality without rt ;)
When RT was first announced, I read somewhere that it was just one method and it may or may not catch on (just like Shader Models from Nvidia. That method did become a standard now). Does anyone know if there are other lighting techniques and their potential to be industry standards later on? Or is RT leading in this department? Also, how promising is RT really as a standard? It's hard for me to gage it because I don't know about the field and Nvidia marketing may cloud my judgement. As it is now, my view is RT looks good, but it is expensive and there is no guarantee it will be adopted as a standard yet. How accurate is that?

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017

I was wondering why it was so jarring everytime gameplay starts again.

Status
Not open for further replies.