• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Well what Albert said was:
"I will say that I'm guessing the next-gen consoles are more divergent from each other than convergent, on the whole. Meaning the choice (and tradeoffs) between the two brands will be more complicated than the simple power controversy between XBO and PS4. I think we're gearing up for different machines in more interesting ways. "

So I guess what he's saying is that they'll be close but they'll get there with quite different set ups. That's not really what you're saying though , that sounds more different to ESRAM difference.

(Just his take obviously but he knows more than us)

Without context, this quote won't age well. :)

I want to emphasize my words "on the whole" which should be taken to mean "considering all the different aspects of the consoles". What I didn't mean to suggest is that I thought they would be technically divergent. I think it's true (and known) they will share a lot of the internal silicon and probably look more similar in that way. But I believe that when you look at the whole package (including customizations by each of the platforms) they will be different in interesting ways. That's all I can really say at this point, but worth clarifying.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Can you point to where I specified it was GCN? Because I never did. I simply said I thought it would be in the mid-8 range +/- 10% if they are targeting $399.

Yes GPU architecture are not made in 6 months.

I want to emphasize my words "on the whole" which should be taken to mean "considering all the different aspects of the consoles". What I didn't mean to suggest is that I thought they would be technically divergent. I think it's true (and known) they will share a lot of the internal silicon and probably look more similar in that way. But I believe that when you look at the whole package (including customizations by each of the platforms) they will be different in interesting ways. That's all I can really say at this point, but worth clarifying.

I thinks RT will probably be different for example.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Can you point to where I specified it was GCN? Because I never did. I simply said I thought it would be in the mid-8 range +/- 10% if they are targeting $399.

Albert was probably privy to Navi perf bump since he is was a MS exec. The $399 PS5 option wasn't just his vision of a PS5. It's probably a hypothetical $399 Scarlett too.

Looks like I can be right once in a while.

Good to see you back posting again Albert!

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
in that case what is the performance range you expect for a $499 console (ignoring potential tariffs)

giphy.gif

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One big difference this generation over last*:

Every console sold to the competition is not just the loss of hardware sales (which may be a profit or loss) the loss of game and accessory sales, but crucially the loss of years worth of recurring subscription revenue.

And it won't be the absence or lack of it, I mean actual loss.

Every PS4 owner who buys an Xbox scarlet will let their PS Plus sub expire. (And vice versa)
It could take years if ever to get them back with a second console purchasr

Building a strong platform and selling at a loss in order to not be outshun by the competition, in the age of recurring revenue makes even more sense than it did in the past.

*This was technically true of MS in the previous generation, however they are far more geared for subscription based revenue than the past. And I'm not even just talking about Xbox, the entire company from Azure to O365 is.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The problem is anonymous source, no one believe them. You need to have credible videogame website to leak information to be believable... Out of this there is no way we have a credible leak... With anonymous source how do you know if it is a fake or not?
i think that by anonymous source, they mean anonymous to us.
as in, tell someone like jason schreier the specs, jason gets specs from other developers from different studios, if the information matches, then it means it will be untraceable back to the source at this point, so it will be fine to publish.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

I really appreciate the clarification, thanks.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
i think that by anonymous source, they mean anonymous to us.
as in, tell someone like jason schreier the specs, jason gets specs from other developers from different studios, if the information matches, then it means it will be untraceable back to the source at this point, so it will be fine to publish.

Maybe they don't want any drama or see the bad buzz around Andrew Reiner tweet... For example, Richard Leadbetter was knowing something but decides to keep it tight. Or saying something can lead to bad relationship with platform holder... Or the specs are nearly the same and no one want to be called a liar if something change. And without any hacking stuff like last generation, information are not available... After we just need to be patient in 6 months we will probably have the information...

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for clarification.

at that time that you made that comment no one knew about RDNA TF and TF from amd was known as GCN TF and you didn't specify RDNA TF so I assumed you meant GCN which was the only known TF measurement from Amd.

Oct 27, 2017
Total tale from my backside..

But could the lack of leaks be attributed to the fact that the devs don't have final specs and they are still working with moving targets at the moment?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Klee told us they are nearly equal of power. If the difference is XB1 to XB1 S or less. For example at max a stable 30 fps game will run 32 fps on the more powerful hardware. And if it is less we talk one frame difference...

And the consoles are so close a last minute improvement can give a very little edge to anyone. At least this time out of customization, the hardware will not be an important differentiator.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Klee told us they are nearly equal of power. If the difference is XB1 to XB1 S or less. For example at max a stable 30 fps game will run 32 fps on the more powerful hardware. And if it is less we talk one frame difference...

And the consoles are so close a last minute improvement can give a very little edge to anyone. At least this time out of customization, the hardware will not be an important differentiator.
I think the main difference will be loading times. This could be the thing we'll most talk about in November 2020.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

But customization can make a big difference. We already knows SONY will go big on SSD and it can impacted frame rate and LOD.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I think the main difference will be loading times. This could be the thing we'll most talk about in November 2020.
Loading times are a big deal to me and yet when people are comparing PC gaming to console gaming it rarely gets a mention. Not even in DF videos. But if there's one thing that's impressed the hell out of me moving to PC from console this year, aside from 4k/60/120/etc of course, then it's the load times. Games load so damn fast on my PC it's insane, eg Metro Exodus the loading screen allows me to press to continue in just a couple of seconds. On PS4 Pro or the X, with a SSD, it takes nearly 2 minutes! And this difference is across the board whether it's something like Monster Hunter, Prey or FH4. It's literally a game changer not having to wait looking at load screens and everything feels so much more fluid.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
But customization can make a big difference. We already knows SONY will go big on SSD and it can impacted frame rate and LOD.

I prefer wait to see the difference if there is a noticeable one. MS will too go with a SSD or a SSD+ HDD, Aaron Greenberg in his interview talk about instant resume of a game and fast loading. Some of the innovation inside Sony patent comes from software side, MS can do the same... I expect at least 2GB/s SSD on next generation consoles.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I think this patent could be a psychological plot to make us get used to this kind of design. But hey I am already used to it as I own a PC-engine. :P

9b4691a3-pc-engine-core-grafx-mini__450_400.jpeg

Loading times are a big deal to me and yet when people are comparing PC gaming to console gaming it rarely gets a mention. Not even in DF videos. But if there's one thing that's impressed the hell out of me moving to PC from console this year, aside from 4k/60/120/etc of course, then it's the load times. Games load so damn fast on my PC it's insane, eg Metro Exodus the loading screen allows me to press to continue in just a couple of seconds. On PS4 Pro or the X, with a SSD, it takes nearly 2 minutes! And this difference is across the board whether it's something like Monster Hunter, Prey or FH4. It's literally a game changer not having to wait looking at load screens and everything feels so much more fluid.
Preach. I mean sure some technical sites like DF will probably continue to ignore loading times but I think others and some reviewers will talk about it. And here anyways we'll have all the information we need with plenty of threads about it.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

This is much better but after will the difference will be big enough to care about in two consoles with custom SSD. If one load a multiplatform games in 4 seconds and the other in 7, 8, or 9 seconds I don't think so. If one load a game in 4 seconds and the other in 15/20 seconds, the difference begins to show...

Using a stopwatch more than 10 seconds looks like long...

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I am hoping that DS4 is compatible with The PS5 for playing PS4 games at the very least.

Me too.

alright. results are in.

played horizon for about half an hour. went from 70 to 73 in that half an hour. then left it idle for another 30 minutes and it went up to 74. the fan was on full blast the entire time. oddly enough, the only time the fan noise went down was towards the end when i went into a particularly beautiful area and wanted to see what it would look like with hdr off. i wouldnt be surprised if hdr is the cause of all this.

this is in a room thats on the first floor unlike my last house where i used to game on the second floor and that used to be around 75 degrees before i'd even start playing. this new room cools much faster. the other room must have been over 80 degrees after a few hours.

That's around 2degC (i don't work in heathen units) in 30mins which seems higher than Miniature Kaiju's quoted test curve for the 1000W gaming rig.

How big is the room? One would guess your room is likely quite well insulated, but then that stands at odds with your claim that it cools pretty quickly.

I would ask, you to do another test with your console switched off to see how the baseline room temp. changes over a similar period.

At least that gives us more confidence the heat is just coming from the combination of your console and your body heat.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
2.0GHz clock speed for the GPU pretty much confirms HBM2/3! Mark my words! It would be impossible with GDDR6 due the power consumption!

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Oooooh I like it minus the redundant buttons above the disc slot
Redundant? Who hasn't wanted to fast forward their game?

Has your opinion shifted on performance or price targets since then? Do you see tariffs having an impact?

Last edited:

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
2.0GHz clock speed for the GPU pretty much confirms HBM2/3! Mark my words! It would be impossible with GDDR6 due the power consumption!

I wonder what such a config would play out as.

8-16Gb of HBM2 + 8-16Gb DDR4? 24Gb total?

The ability of the Zen 2 memory controller to show the separate pools of memory as 1 basically means there isn't nearly the downside as previous gens with a split pool.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
I wonder what such a config would play out as.

8-16Gb of HBM2 + 8-16Gb DDR4? 24Gb total?

The ability of the Zen 2 memory controller to show the separate pools of memory as 1 basically means there isn't nearly the downside as previous gens with a split pool.
16GB HBM2 + 8GB DDR4 seems doable. and you're right, split memory pool isn't a problem anymore!
i also give the credit to 8GB+16GB DDR4 leak too, it's pretty specific to be fake!

Status
Not open for further replies.