• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2017
Is there a reason to begin with that Albert would have PS5 info?
While he was working at MS he could probably make an educated guess as to what they would have if releasing PS5 in 2019 and MS had plans for a less powerful console as well as Anaconda with what was possible in 2020.

It's also why I think both will be incredibly close. No more ESRAM and both are releasing in 2020. Xbox One X was more powerful than PS4 Pro because it released one year later, but with both releasing at the same time I'm expecting withIn 3-5% power on the GPU side, and same on the CPU side. I think it'll be the closest one we've ever had. Like some games might have a slight edge in some things on PS5 because of that slight oomph in GPU, but a few extra FPS on Scarlett because of CPU. But it'll be so close no will be great choices imo.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What did he tweet about? The dev kits?
He just confirmed the patent was a devkit and that they have them in their offices. Even articles were being made about it: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/21/ps5-devkit-design-seemingly-confirmed-by-game-developer

The removal of his tweet then his whole account is just a plain and flawless confirmation of the case, yet a sad one unfortunately.
Wait a minute. This horrid thing leaked yesterday could be the ps5? For the fuck sake, it's even uglier of the Pro. I really really hope it's just the dev kits look. The fuck is happened to the ps4 OG designer?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm,i dunno,this really doesn't sound very promising about that 2GHz Oberon clock.
??

They have already relesed a couple of overclocked cards running at 2.0 ghz.

There are a lot of firestrike benchmarks for cards over 2.0 ghz as well.

~Millet~

Jan 21, 2019
Hi, this is Off topic, but I need your help: how much ram do I need to analyze a 3gb database?

Also, where can I do this kind of questions?

Thank you!

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wait a minute. This horrid thing leaked yesterday could be the ps5? For the fuck sake, it's even uglier of the Pro. I really really hope it's just the dev kits look. The fuck is happened to the ps4 OG designer?

Haha bro, calm down. It just the devkit. Still I don't think the PS5 would look that far from it since it will moslty pack many vents too.

Jan 4, 2018
The devkit thing has me wondering, would they still be using DS4s this far out from launch, or is there a possibility they also have some kind of DS5 prototype (assuming it's different enough to warrant one)?

Oct 31, 2017
I think I'm ready to get back into gaming. I was going to maybe buy something at BF, but it feels like next gen is launching soon, so no point in buying a console that will be obsolete soonish, so couple of questions:

1) When are we expecting the PS5 and XNext to be announced? Launched?
2) Are they going to be BC? If so will they enhance the current games in anyway (i.e. framerate)
3) Any price rumors? And which one will be more powerful?

Dec 31, 2017
The potential for overclocking on PC though is much higher than in a console, don't think there is any arguing about that.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The devkit thing has me wondering, would they still be using DS4s this far out from launch, or is there a possibility they also have some kind of DS5 prototype (assuming it's different enough to warrant one)?
If the DualShock 5 has new features liek for example a touchscreen, then they would need to start conceiving their games based on the features of the new controller and not use an auxiliary DS4 instead. If the devkit is already here with its peculiar shape, the controller must be ready or near ready.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Hi, this is Off topic, but I need your help: how much ram do I need to analyze a 3gb database?

Also, where can I othis kind of questions?

Thank you!
You can fit a 3gb database into 3gb of ram. Add some more for data transformation and the OS overhead and you're good to go. an 8gb laptop shouldn't have any problem going through this data.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I am hoping that DS4 is compatible with The PS5 for playing PS4 games at the very least.

Dec 31, 2017
I think I'm ready to get back into gaming. I was going to maybe buy something at BF, but it feels like next gen is launching soon, so no point in buying a console that will be obsolete soonish, so couple of questions:

2) Are they going to be BC? If so will they enhance the current games in anyway (i.e. framerate)

1) holiday 2020 for Scarlett, probably the same for PS5
2) Scarlett BC with Xbox One, 360 and OG with enhancements, PS5 BC with PS4, nothing yet about enhancements
3) no price Rumors yet, although 499$ is a safe bet at this point unless both Sony and MS absorb huge losses. PS5 is apparently more power, but ever so slightly

Feb 10, 2018

1. Nov 2020
2. PS5 has been confirmed to have PS4 BC and Xbox scarlett has been confirmed to play all the x1, 360 and OG Xbox games the x1 can currently play.
3.none but from what Phil has said I think xbox scarlett will be $499 and I think PS5 will be $499 too just based on the rumours and gut feeling.
Regarding power the latest rumours point to the PS5 being more powerful, but with xbox designing scarlett to be a gaming machine and a likely $499 price I don't see how the two system can be that much different unless one is willing to take a bigger loss, which has never really happend apart from ps3 and them shoehorning blue Ray + cell into the PS3.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I am hoping that DS4 is compatible with The PS5 for playing PS4 games at the very least.

If the DS5 is just a DS4 with added features like touchscreen and dual speaker, then it can play any PS4 game, as long as it doesn't remove or delete any feature like how DS4 removed all analogue functions which made some PS2 and PS3 games unplayable.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
While he was working at MS he could probably make an educated guess as to what they would have if releasing PS5 in 2019 and MS had plans for a less powerful console as well as Anaconda with what was possible in 2020.

It's also why I think both will be incredibly close. No more ESRAM and both are releasing in 2020. Xbox One X was more powerful than PS4 Pro because it released one year later, but with both releasing at the same time I'm expecting withIn 3-5% power on the GPU side, and same on the CPU side. I think it'll be the closest one we've ever had. Like some games might have a slight edge in some things on PS5 because of that slight oomph in GPU, but a few extra FPS on Scarlett because of CPU. But it'll be so close no will be great choices imo.

Well what Albert said was:
"I will say that I'm guessing the next-gen consoles are more divergent from each other than convergent, on the whole. Meaning the choice (and tradeoffs) between the two brands will be more complicated than the simple power controversy between XBO and PS4. I think we're gearing up for different machines in more interesting ways. "

So I guess what he's saying is that they'll be close but they'll get there with quite different set ups. That's not really what you're saying though , that sounds more different to ESRAM difference.

(Just his take obviously but he knows more than us)

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

Not the same thing. Not to mention that they need to glue a Zen 2 on the APU as well. The die hit from having 2GHz GPU vs. something like 1.6GHz would most likely be very high. With 7nm+ or N7 its more believable, but still quite a feat if they pull it off.

Feb 10, 2018
Well what Albert said was:
"I will say that I'm guessing the next-gen consoles are more divergent from each other than convergent, on the whole. Meaning the choice (and tradeoffs) between the two brands will be more complicated than the simple power controversy between XBO and PS4. I think we're gearing up for different machines in more interesting ways. "

So I guess what he's saying is that they'll be close but they'll get there with quite different set ups. That's not really what you're saying though , that sounds more different to ESRAM difference.

(Just his take obviously but he knows more than us)

Lisa su did say they each have there own brand of special sauce. She said they had different takes on special sauce, or at least something to that effect.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Lisa su did say they each have there own brand of special sauce. She said they had different takes on special sauce, or at least something to that effect.

I'd be happy enough if there was compelling difference that justified picking up both. But less happy if just one ended up with a big advantage.

I agree with everyone though that the differences are likely going to be negligible.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Not the same thing. Not to mention that they need to glue a Zen 2 on the APU as well. The die hit from having 2GHz GPU vs. something like 1.6GHz would most likely be very high. With 7nm+ or N7 its more believable, but still quite a feat if they pull it off.

Not to mention comparing overclocked cards with massive coolers and 3 fans with console APU...

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest 2ghz clock put as further away from two digits than closer us but who said Komachi have to be right?
Nah.

He wrote, 'double digits'. He said nothing about a decimal between them. So 9.2 is still a possibility :P
I think it is more in the 9-10 range too but I don't want Chamber to call me out again. 😭

I've already added a link to this patent thread in the OP: V has come to (PS5 dev kit design?)

But since you asked, I decided to add the images of it too! I also wrote about the device being seen in someone's office!

Edit:

Whoops I thought I threadmarked Kleegamefan's posts, turns out I just quoted them lol. I'll make a new post with some of his posts quoted.

Edit 2: New post is here: Kleegamefan - Next Generation Console Information
Well done! 👏🏾

3.none but from what Phil has said I think xbox scarlett will be $499 and I think PS5 will be $499 too just based on the rumours and gut feeling.
Regarding power the latest rumours point to the PS5 being more powerful, but with xbox designing scarlett to be a gaming machine and a likely $499 price I don't see how the two system can be that much different unless one is willing to take a bigger loss, which has never really happend apart from ps3 and them shoehorning blue Ray + cell into the PS3.
The gap doesn't have to be big just because one is more powerful than the other.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is more in the 9-10 range too but I don't want Chamber to call me out again. 😭
tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
A dev just lost their Twitter privileges, just confirming that the publicly available Dev Kit patent images related to a Dev Kit.
You're expecting a leak right after a dev gets publicly reprimanded for commenting on public information?
If devs are overheard talking about anything, it's more likely to be that.
Yep, Sony and MS aren't playing around.

At this point, devs might as well keep their mouths closed. We're, at max, 6 months away from official info.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
40 tflops is what you need for Photorealistic graphics according to Tim Sweeney and an Nvidia graph i cant seem to find right now.

you cant think of it like that. the ps2 to ps3 jump was like 35x. then from ps3 to ps4 we went down to 8x and then finally to ps5 we would be lucky to get 7x or 12.9tflops.

read the articles on node shrink above, after 3nm, we are looking at 2.5nm for 2027 at the latest. thats roughly a 3.1x die size shrink. ps4 to ps5 is 4x.

40-50 tflops is the max we are getting. thankfully we dont need much more unless we are going full VR which needs 100 tflops.
I am firmly in the 65tf PS6 camp. We need to get a poll going and start discussing this asap.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great! Post the data online after your testing is complete and I can use it to create a AegonSnake r/c thermal model!
Well 5C per hour for 1000W is about 1C per hour for a PS4 Pro (170W is about 1/5 1000W).

So it's more an hour per 1C than hours.

Tbf, the human body puts out about the equivalent of a 300W heater, so your body combined with a PS4 Pro will heat a enclosed room from 20 to 30degC in a 4hr gaming session. But then your fat ass is contributing more to that than your console is, lol😉
That's only true if you're heating only the mass of air in the room, not the room itself and the mass of everything else within the room, which is never the case.

OK, found someone that actually did the testing LMAO:

pic_disp.php

That's a 1000W Gaming PC (vs. a 1000W space heater). So, about 5C in about an hour for a 10' by 10.5' room, so, roughly 18m³-ish. SO, while my claim was a bit exaggerated, it's in the ballpark, I guess :D
alright. results are in.

played horizon for about half an hour. went from 70 to 73 in that half an hour. then left it idle for another 30 minutes and it went up to 74. the fan was on full blast the entire time. oddly enough, the only time the fan noise went down was towards the end when i went into a particularly beautiful area and wanted to see what it would look like with hdr off. i wouldnt be surprised if hdr is the cause of all this.

this is in a room thats on the first floor unlike my last house where i used to game on the second floor and that used to be around 75 degrees before i'd even start playing. this new room cools much faster. the other room must have been over 80 degrees after a few hours.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
I don't want to pick on you but even Albert penello didn't know about ps5 and thought ps5 is 8 TF of gcn (apparently whole Xbox division thought that).and he was in Xbox design team .let alone u knowing both and knowing which one is better .

We should wait untill both are revealed before talking with that degree of certainty imo

Can you point to where I specified it was GCN? Because I never did. I simply said I thought it would be in the mid-8 range +/- 10% if they are targeting $399.

Status
Not open for further replies.