• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
playstation-5-inpi-5-700x559.png

Registration date: 11/30/2018
Validation date: 08/13/2019
Valid for 10 years.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Cyberpunk 2077 was running on a big rig desktop PC with GTX 1080 Ti for the real-time gameplay demo at E3 2018.

This E3 2019 it was running on an RTX 2080 Ti.
Gameplay footage most of us have yet to see, but we should soon, late August at PAX West, iirc.
I saw the e3 2019 demo was less impressive than the 2018.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
You can see two notches on the top matches the feet on the bottom. The consoles are meant to be stacked so the design maximizes air flow in a stacked configuration.

Yup, we went over this yesterday. You can have several dev kits on a dev's desk and they prefer to stack them. If you look at ps4 dev kits, or read some ps4 dev kit articles, you'll see stacking mentioned.

Only applies to the One X!
Shhh. Let me have my fun!

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I for one love the devkit design for many reasons. it looks like it could cool a 14 tflops monster. vents everywhere means good airflow means it likely wont run too hot and cause further rift between mrs. snake and i. With some good neon lighting it could even look like a cool scifi vr thing from the future.

it wont be hard to sell. just get don draper to sell it with a sentimental monologue.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Registration date: 11/30/2018
Validation date: 08/13/2019
Valid for 10 years.

Registered in Japan in 11/30/2018, applied for registration in Brazil in 05/28/2019, granted registration in 08/13/2019 (backdated to 05/28), actually. They're using the Japanese registration as a priority claim.

Hadn't caught my attention before that this actually means this devkit design has been around for 2/3 of a year, likely. This seems to be way, way further along than we think. In contrast with what we know and have seen from MS, gives me vibes that they're kinda a bit behind again, just like with the Xbox One.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Registered in Japan in 11/30/2018, applied for registration in Brazil in 05/28/2019, granted registration in 08/13/2019 (backdated to 05/28), actually. They're using the Japanese registration as a priority claim.

Hadn't caught my attention before that this actually means this devkit design has been around for 2/3 of a year, likely. This seems to be way, way further along than we think.

In an interview, the technical graphics director of Rockstar told they receive devkit two to three years before console release. They probably have a devkit since 2016/2017... It is an interview in french with a website called CanardPC...

Comment se passe l'arrivée d'une nouvelle console chez vous ?

Je n'ai pas le droit d'être trop précis, mais nous recevons des dev kits très en avance. On a commencé à jouer avec certaines consoles deux ou trois ans avant qu'elles ne soient annoncées au public
. Mais une nouvelle machine, ça crée toujours beaucoup de doutes. On est excité parce que le constructeur nous promet des belles choses, mais on sait qu'il va falloir tout réapprendre, et qu'au final, entre ce que nous présente le fabricant et la version finale, il y a toujours des trucs qui seront pétés. Par exemple, pour la Xbox 360, Microsoft nous a dit que la console serait très performante, et effectivement elle l'était, mais ils ne nous ont pas prévenus qu'on ne disposerait que d'un tout petit bout de mémoire dédié au rendu graphique. Ça a été infernal à programmer. Pareil avec l'architecture Cell de Sony, sur le papier c'était génial, on pouvait faire du calcul massif en parallèle, mais on s'est rendu compte plus tard qu'il était difficile de faire communiquer les différents cœurs entre eux.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
in an interview, the technical graphics director of Rockstar told they receive devkit two to three years before console release. They probably have a devkit since 2016/2017... It is an interview in french...

There are devkits and devkits, though. First ones are more like performance target PC builds with some development environment stuff. This one we found out about, though, this looks much more like a final build thing - probably not final silicon, but way closer to what they're going to be using through the generation.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
There are devkits and devkits, though. First ones are more like performance target PC builds with some development environment stuff. This one we found out about, though, this looks much more like a final build thing - probably not final silicon, but way closer to what they're going to be using through the generation.

But it means two years before the release of PS5, they had something not so far from final silicon to work...

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
I will say it again. Why is Sony's "DEV KIT", that seems to be "near" final hardware out in the wild; 15 months before the launch of the PS5?
Several reasons. Since Sony knows that Microsoft is limited by AMD's ability to design and deliver hardware just as much as they are, it could be the case that both companies are trying to front-load launch window releases as much as possible, and as such, the question of when the consoles get released is more of a question of if one of them stops waiting on the other to announce their release date.

Oct 25, 2017

Hadn't caught my attention before that this actually means this devkit design has been around for 2/3 of a year, likely. This seems to be way, way further along than we think. In contrast with what we know and have seen from MS, gives me vibes that they're kinda a bit behind again, just like with the Xbox One.

Doubt it.

Feb 10, 2018
It's going to interesting seeing what scarletts ray tracing hardware is going to be.
Presuming PS5 has the same raytracing hardware from AMD, it will be interesting to see how each company balances raster hardware and raytracing hardware.
They are both going to have to make a choice, it will be interesting if one has more tflops but the other has more raytracing performance.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Very interesting that patent, if it's true it's a devkit. PS4 devkit had no resemblance to the actual console, but if so it is still nice to have a confirmation.

It's probably not for a devkit. It's a design patent, which is something you'd typically file for products that will be mass-produced and seen by the end-user. Design patents are primarily about looks (protecting against lookalikes), constrained by what's feasible for mass production. Enclosures for devkits are usually very utilitarian, all about functional aspects with little to no concern about how they look.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
It's probably not for a devkit. It's a design patent, which is something you'd typically file for products that will be mass-produced and seen by the end-user. Design patents are primarily about looks (protecting against lookalikes), constrained by what's feasible for mass production. Enclosures for devkits are usually very utilitarian, all about functional aspects with little to no concern about how they look.

Its a dev kit not the retail PS5. I would say it was more likely PS5 releases this year than that being the retail product.

Feb 10, 2018
Several reasons. Since Sony knows that Microsoft is limited by AMD's ability to design and deliver hardware just as much as they are, it could be the case that both companies are trying to front-load launch window releases as much as possible, and as such, the question of when the consoles get released is more of a question of if one of them stops waiting on the other to announce their release date.

MS already said a rough launch date for scarlett at E3. When Phil said halo infinite will launch with scarlett next holiday.

Also devs offices need cleaners, these cleaners will see the devs kits.
God I would love to be a cleaner at a devs office where they have next gen dev kits, I would get pics and leak everything lol
But the cleaning company and its employees probably have to sign big NDAs

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Could switching from 2 SKUs to 1 account for that?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

When do you expect dev kits with this inside?

Oct 25, 2017
Final design leaking? Not happening any time soon
The PS4 box design wasn't finalized until a few months after the reveal. Mark Cerny didn't even see it until the E3 reveal.
We didn't get any PS4 design leaks. It was locked up inside Andrew House's desk until E3 2013. :p

Yeah.
But there's no PS4 Devkit Design patent in 2013.
The Xbox One leaked in Brasil months before the release.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Its a dev kit not the retail PS5. I would say it was more likely PS5 releases this year than that being the retail product.

I'm not saying that it's likely to be a retail PS5, just that a design patent for a devkit doesn't make much sense. Except maybe if you intend to build on the same design for a real product, and want to ensure that no one interferes by filing a similar design patent in the meantime.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I'm not saying that it's likely to be a retail PS5, just that a design patent for a devkit doesn't make much sense. Except maybe if you intend to build on the same design for a real product, and want to ensure that no one interferes by filing a similar design patent in the meantime.

I just assume it is a peculiarity of the Brazilian system? Or the the cooling design is something new that Sony need to protect?

Feb 10, 2018
Scarlett has been designed from the get go to be designed first and for most to be the best gaming machine they can make and after the X1 disaster power would be very important to team xbox.
If the PS5 turns out to be more powerful then scarlett I wonder when the design philosophy within PlayStation changed, because if they were to stick with the same stratagy they used for the PS4, it would not be as powerful as scarlett.

My thinking is that sony could of done a PS5 for $399, with an 8core zen 2, 7-8tflop RDNA, ssd, and 12-16gddr6, but because of diminishing returns Sony decided to go for $499 and a more powerful box.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Could switching from 2 SKUs to 1 account for that?

Maybe, wouldn't surprise me. Depends on how far along they were with that. If the report that they had briefed devs on it and that devs were already in development and working with Lockhart as the baseline is true, kinda points to being kinda sorta a bit of a way into the thing.

When do you expect dev kits with this inside?

Late this year, likely. Maybe it's the leaks that Cerny was trying to get in front of :D

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
If the PS5 turns out to be more powerful then scarlett I wonder when the design philosophy within PlayStation changed, because if they were to stick with the same stratagy they used for the PS4, it would not be as powerful as scarlett.

I feel like you're doing PS4 a disservice here. It was pretty powerful at launch. It's not like it was a budget console. Besides, when has Sony ever skimped on specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.