• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
There's not enough sockets on the back surely? And what the hell are they - they don't look standard at all?

I'd have this down as a dedicated PSVR machine?

edit - also, that's one hell of a lot of vents!!

Bravekunai

Oct 29, 2017
Also, they have the design for two other devices registered, but without published images:

• Controller (ID: BR 30 2019 002789 5 / YUJIN MORISAWA / YASUHIRO OOTORI). For this one the government is asking for more details, more images, Sony tried to hide some features, but they must provide all details and they're offering the option to keep the images as confidential/protected.
  • Device for Data Storage and Recording ( BR 30 2019 002794 1 / YUJIN MORISAWA). Same thing for this one.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really confused about how the PCB would be laid out on that thing. Also, how does the airflow work, intake in the middle, exhaust out the sides and back? Are there two separate heat zones or is the APU / DRAM in the middle part with heat pipes to the two larger areas?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
There's not enough sockets on the back surely? And what the hell are they - they don't look standard at all?

I'd have this down as a dedicated PSVR machine?
What would you need besides power cable and HDMI? Even looks like there may be a camera slot. Lots of USB up front.

I'm really confused about how the PCB would be laid out on that thing. Also, how does the airflow work, intake in the middle, exhaust out the sides and back? Are there two separate heat zones or is the APU / DRAM in the middle part with heat pipes to the two larger areas?

I think the bolded

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
What would you need besides power cable and HDMI? Even looks like there may be a camera slot.

HDMI, Network, Camera - none of those are round! Then optical. I'd also like 2 USB on the back...I hate having everything on the front - PS4 was a step in the right direction.

If external PSU then that's PSU & Optical accounted for - then 2 between HDMI/Network and Camera...no USB...just saying it's very tight.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Seems like a crazy continuation of the design for PS4 dev kit.

Indeed:

playstation-4-developer-kit-front-1560359207-81.jpg

ps4-796x396.png

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
HDMI, Network, Camera - none of those are round! Then optical. I'd also like 2 USB on the back...I hate having everything on the front - PS4 was a step in the right direction.

If external PSU then that's PSU & Optical accounted for - then 2 between HDMI/Network and Camera...no USB...just saying it's very tight.

It's a devkit folks.

It's not the final console.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
I've just noticed, I think these are designed to be stacked. look at the top - those 2 slots probably line up with the feet.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Also, they have the design for two other devices registered, but without published images:

• Controller (ID: BR 30 2019 002789 5 / YUJIN MORISAWA / YASUHIRO OOTORI). For this one the government is asking for more details, more images, Sony tried to hide some features, but they must provide all details and they're offering the option to keep the images as confidential/protected.
  • Device for Data Storage and Recording ( BR 30 2019 002794 1 / YUJIN MORISAWA). Same thing for this one.
god damnit, we are so close to seeing early controller design.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Sony has patented a device that has an outrageous amount of vents. Seems like a possible dev kit patent?

Such a bizarre design. Obviously not attractive as a consumer box. It's also obviously not a generic dev kit that's slapped together in an oversized metal box.

It occurs to me that the design goal is to maximize surface area to move air through. They want to move a massive amount of air and have designed a massive amount of space and foils to probably control acoustics.

I.e. it's a giant blower style design where the V is an air conduit feature.

Also notice the fins on the right side? It looks like it's designed to be able to oriented vertically.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
If these are designed to be stacked (as I believe they are) - are we looking at PSNow hardware?

That would also explain all the ventilation anyway.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Here it is...

nieuwe-console-770x508.jpg

Seems like a crazy continuation of the design for PS4 dev kit.
hpjayyr8yj211.jpg

I respect this tremendous chonk of a machine, and I want one more than the actual PS5.

IIRC, launch games for both systems are targeted for Holiday 2020

PS5 and Xbox Scarlett will launch together again.....possibly in the same month like last time.

Thank you for this. I suppose in theory Sony could launch their console a couple of months early with just exclusives and enhanced BC, but that's really not even worth considering. Lock it in, November 2020 for both machines.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

not sure if connected
edit: nope, bigben interactive

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That design is crazy but it almost indirectly confirms a high 2.0 ghz clockspeed and a lot of CUs.

The navi 5700 is tiny. Any dev kit or final console with that won't require so many damn vents.

This is cerny going super saiyan.

Jul 15, 2019
Any leaks or updates on possible launch titles? I remember the paste pin a few months ago said Harry Potter RPG, GTA 6 month exclusivity to ps5, battlefield bad company 3.. maybe horizon 2. But anything else? Any words?

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I want a version of snap to come back to the XBOX OS next gen. With HDMI-in I want a small movable PiP so I can have a sports game on while I casually play that would also allow me to flip back and forth and maximize either instantaneously.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Someone posted in other thread but the designer is this guy:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Any leaks or updates on possible launch titles? I remember the paste pin a few months ago said Harry Potter RPG, GTA 6 month exclusivity to ps5, battlefield bad company 3.. maybe horizon 2. But anything else? Any words?
On SONY studio sides, no. Horizon 2 is too big to be a launch title. We will probably see Knack 3 and a "small" project. Maybe the second studio of ND.
Third party ? The usual cross gen titles : AC, COD, Battlefield / front, maybe Destiny.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On SONY studio sides, no. Horizon 2 is too big to be a launch title. We will probably see Knack 3 and a "small" project. Maybe the second studio of ND.
Third party ? The usual cross gen titles : AC, COD, Battlefield / front, maybe Destiny.

I could see Horizon 2 as a Spring 2021 title. For launch day, what about Ratchet and Clank?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
When is Navi21 (big Navi) due?
Rumored to be later this year. But My guess is that we see it next year. And I don't get AMDs whack GPU nomenclature. Navi 20 series is supposedly big navi, when it should just make sense to be the next gen Navi. Navi 10 is supposedly bigger than navi 12/14...etc. When it should just have been that as you go up in number it gets more powerful. Hel they even missed an opportunity in not naming it after the number of work groups. Navi 10 has 10 WGPs per SE, so one would think Navi 8 would have 8 WGPs/SE, Navi 16 would have 16WGPs/SE...etc. But nooooooo.

we know Lisa Su has said that the PS5 APU is heavily customized several times. The Flute leak shows a very clever way to cut down CPU size by reducing the L3 Cache. Of course they are going to lose Is it possible to do the same by cutting away some non essential GPU features?
I an see why cutting out some cache for the consoles would make sense, a console is never going to do the kinda work loads that a PC would do. I don't see how they can cut anything off the GPUthough, hell RDNA is already a more graphic centered architecture vs Vega before it. If anything they are going to add stuff to the GPU (RT). So no luck on that front.

Wait, that design is real?
I thought it was an amateur mock up
Supposedly a dev kit....

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
When is Navi21 (big Navi) due?
Rumored to be later this year. But My guess is that we see it next year. And I don't get AMDs whack GPU nomenclature. Navi 20 series is supposedly big navi, when it should just make sense to be the next gen Navi. Navi 10 is supposedly bigger than navi 12/14...etc. When it should just have been that as you go up in number it gets more powerful. Hel they even missed an opportunity in not naming it after the number of work groups. Navi 10 has 10 WGPs per SE, so one would think Navi 8 would have 8 WGPs/SE, Navi 16 would have 16WGPs/SE...etc. But nooooooo.

I an see why cutting out some cache for the consoles would make sense, a console is never going to do the kinda work loads that a PC would do. I don't see how they can cut anything off the GPUthough, hell RDNA is already a more graphic centered architecture vs Vega before it. If anything they are going to add stuff to the GPU (RT). So no luck on that front.

Supposedly a dev kit....
no, navi 12 is rumored to be big navi chip later this year, Navi 21 next year.

Jul 15, 2019
Well they better have some bomb ass launch exclusives if they think I'm gonna drop $600+ on a new console right away

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
*in Brazil.

Probably some weird quirk in Brazilian law. The source claims the PS4 had one too, which at least lends the claims some credence.

Yeah, looked around, there's one for the PS4 devkit as well. One interesting thing is that they describe both devkits as "Electronic Device", but the consoles themselves are either "Control Unit" for OG PS4 or "Control and Arithmetic Unit" for PS4 Slim and Pro.

So yeah, 100% PS5 devkit.

Wild theory time: *puts on tinfoil hat*

Sony has a local factory that assembles PS4s/DS4s/etc in Brazil to get around some of the import taxes. Its not impossible that a design patent is needed to get local manufacturing certifications and all that bureaucratic stuff. What if they're assembling these devkits there in Brazil and not in China, as one would expect, since China is pretty well known for leaking everything everywhere all the time?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.