• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao. the last few posts. now things are getting interesting.

11-12 tflops shouldnt be that hard to get. i suspect the Big Navi is going to be at least 14 tflops. consoles will get a cutdown and downclocked version of that anywhere between 10-12 tflops. its a $500 console guys. they arent going to spend all that money on a SSD and then go with a $100 APU like they did last time. MS was willing to spend $75 on kinect alone. they WILL spend a lot on getting a bigger APU because thankfully their priorities have finally changed this gen.

Feb 10, 2018
Even though I don't think it will happen, an 8tflop PS5 or scarlett is good, its still slightly more then twice the GPU power of the 1X, nearly 7x more powerful then then the ps4 gpu and nearly 10x more powerful then the OG Xbox one gpu.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

11-12 tflops shouldnt be that hard to get. i suspect the Big Navi is going to be at least 14 tflops. consoles will get a cutdown and downclocked version of that anywhere between 10-12 tflops. its a $500 console guys. they arent going to spend all that money on a SSD and then go with a $100 APU like they did last time. MS was willing to spend $75 on kinect alone. they WILL spend a lot on getting a bigger APU because thankfully their priorities have finally changed this gen.
why only 1080p with rt then ? and what about gonzalo ?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why only 1080p with rt then ? and what about gonzalo ?
is this about what david cage said? i dont know if we should just assume what he says is what will happen next gen.

as for gonzolo, im still team 12.9 tflops. especially after the flute leak. im just warning guys who are stuck in the 8 tflops team that a bigger navi card is coming and it will be 14 tflops. 10-12 isnt worth getting perma'd over.

Feb 10, 2018
is this about what david cage said? i dont know if we should just assume what he says is what will happen next gen.

as for gonzolo, im still team 12.9 tflops. especially after the flute leak. im just warning guys who are stuck in the 8 tflops team that a bigger navi card is coming and it will be 14 tflops. 10-12 isnt worth getting perma'd over.

A big Navi does not make a difference, you still have console form factor power constraints.

Even 10navi tflops will require more power then any console in the last 20yrs.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9RL0gvODQ0NjQ5L29yaWdpbmFsLzU3MDAtWFQtTWV0cm8tQ2hhcnQucG5n

Sony are good at getting power levels down, but they are not wizards if they go with a GPU with RX5700 xt performance the whole system will probably draw 200w under max load, which is 45w more then there last console, which was rather loud and large.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A big Navi does not make a difference, you still have console form factor power constraints.

Even 10navi tflops will require more power then any console in the last 20yrs.
not sure if thats true. the PS3 shipped with a 345w power supply. it routintely hit 200w.

bigger die, lower clocks is what Sony have typically done this gen for cheaper $399 consoles. they will surely do the same again with $499 console.

regardless, its entirely possible we end up with 10 tflops, but i think making a perma bet over 12 tflops is kinda ridiculous but suit yourself.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure he knows more about ps5 and nextbox than anybody in this topic. Also it can't be 8tf as it's over 20k point in firestrike ;)
hes talking in very broad terms. 1080p with RT or Native 4k without. No one in their right mind is doing native 4k next gen, especially at the expense of core features like RT and better visual effects. they will meet in the middle. 1440p or 4kcb with RT.

i wouldnt be surprised if hes looking to do RT support for Detroit on PC and is basing his opinion on that.

Feb 10, 2018
not sure if thats true. the PS3 shipped with a 345w power supply. it routintely hit 200w.

bigger die, lower clocks is what Sony have typically done this gen for cheaper $399 consoles. they will surely do the same again with $499 console.

regardless, its entirely possible we end up with 10 tflops, but i think making a perma bet over 12 tflops is kinda ridiculous but suit yourself.

Yeah, your probably right, but I'm confident in what I think. If a 10 Navi tflop PS5 has a little over 200w peak usage, that is higher then sony's last 2 consoles and then there's the question of balance, I think they would rather have 24gb of RAM then go for a GPU over 11tflops. Plus there's also rumour of RT hardware. A 2080 - 2080ti level beast would be nice but it's just not realistic.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
This thread has finally taken an interesting turn.

Oh no we've reached the ban bet phase. People are losing their minds in here more than usual.

Hey, we have to make up for the lack of leaks somehow.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My high confidence band for this generation still runs from 9-12TF as it has since the PS4 Pro was announced. That should cover 80-90% of the likely outcomes as I see them. I will be genuinely shocked if either console winds up with > 12TF. I just wouldn't be silly enough to say I'm willing to give up conversing here permanently even when I think the odds are in my favor. Honestly, we've seen little that seems to suggest that we'll get dramatically better than 5700 class performance. Better? Sure, I might buy that, but there are thermal and economic limits.

mod post - no ban bets

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
We don't do ban bets here. So don't go pressuring anyone into one. If you want to make a bet then do an avatar bet and even if you do, don't pressure anyone into it.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Feb 10, 2018
Official Staff Communication
We don't do ban bets here. So don't go pressuring anyone into one. If you want to make a bet then do an avatar bet and even if you do, don't pressure anyone into it.

Good, even though I'm confident I will win my bet with spinning 🐦kick, the potential reality of getting permed was giving me anxiety, SpinningBirdKick I will do an avatar bet with you for a month?

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Because raytracing is slow and was slow since it was invented. 12 or 20 or one day a 500 Tflops or even a petaflops console, rasterizing will always go much faster than raytracing
Hard to imagine that 12tf navi with hw rt could only run 1080p + some fancy rt effects. Edit: possible that consoles rt impelemntation was done in the last minute more for marketing buzz word

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Hard to imagine that 12tf navi with hw rt could only run 1080p + some fancy rt effects. Edit: possible that consoles rt impelemntation was done in the last minute more for marketing buzz word

Like I said it is slow and after we have games on 2080 Ti running at 1080 or 1440p with only reflection for example or Control run at 1080p 60 fps on a 2080 Ti...

Full TR games have improved Quake2 level of graphics at 1080p 60 fps on a 2080 Ti...

EDIT: Raytracing involves incoherent access to the RAM the worst enemy of performance... The GPU is waiting for the data or worst the instruction with current non-optimized shading (100s of different shader).

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I'm sure Cage didn't talk about full rt games.

And control is not full RT games nor Battlefield 5... and they run one at 1080p 60 fps, the other have better resolution but only reflection are RT...

On an RTX 2080 Ti, levels primarily based on sand or snow can run ray tracing at the low setting at 60fps at 1620p resolution, where more reflection-heavy maps like Rotterdam require a 1296p pixel-count to remain locked at the target 60 frames per second. We used the game's internal resolution scaler on a 4K screen to make the necessary adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.