• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2019
Uhh it's 10%?

That's a ton. So if they pay $400 to make the product, that's $40 extra.

Idk if it only applies to parts made in China, or if there are exceptions but 10% is nothing to scoff at.
It is 25%, not 10%, 10 % is for 2019 gods starting setp.

If a console has a cost of 500$, that means the console whould be sold at 625$.

Soo yeah, this tax fucked up both Sony and Microsoft because the consoles are already planned so far a head and as fucked up Nintendo as well with the 200$ version, that should be sold at 220$ now.

Feb 10, 2018
It just seems crazy low. Since both manufacturers are looking to create balanced machines I fear that a 5700 might not be that balanced with a Zen 2. A few months back Schreier said both of them wanted to top Stadia's 10.7 Vega FLOPS. That would technically mean 9.75 Navi FLOPS minimum.

What? 7.75 Navi tflops, is equal or better then vega 64s 12.6tflops.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Soo yeah, this tax fucked up both Sony and Microsoft because the consoles are already planned so far a head and as fucked up Nintendo as well with the 200$ version, that should be sold at 220$ now.
add in sales taxes, and a lot of us are looking at 685. No thank you. Europeans always seem to forget we get sales taxed after, our tax isnt included in the displayed price.

Oct 27, 2017

I may be wrong but I believe the 10% hike is the only confirmed one. I know 25% is on the table but remains to be seen if it happens.

So the tariff was 10%, starting sept 1 it will become 20%, so what is the total 25% hike?

Like is the 25% considering the original 10% rate, so a 15% hike? Or 25% + 10% original rate for a total of 35%?

Feb 10, 2018
Vega 64 just happened a shit card I thought. Navi in general has a ~1.3x (1.28x) over Vega. I can't retrieve the chart right now because I'm on the run but I'm 99% sure I'm remembering it right.
Let's put it this way a RX5700 level GPU is about 7x more powerful then the PS4s gpu and abou 2x the 1X gpu.

You said Navi needs to be a 9.75tflops to faster then stadia 10.7tflops, which is not true, stadia is basically a overclocked vega 56. Reviews have the RX5700 beating the vega 64 which is more powerful then the vega 56.

If PS5 or scarlett were 7.5tflops, they would be about 20% more powerful then one stadia stack.

Jan 20, 2019
I may be wrong but I believe the 10% hike is the only confirmed one. I know 25% is on the table but remains to be seen if it happens.

So the tariff was 10%, starting sept 1 it will become 20%, so what is the total 25% hike?

Like is the 25% considering the original 10% rate, so a 15% hike? Or 25% + 10% original rate for a total of 35%?

What i saw was that 10% has for 2019 goods starting in setp and then 25% for goods starting in 2020.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So are we expecting next gen consoles to cost $599.99 or $699.99 now?
The threat and level of tariffs will probably change 13 times between now and Fall 2020. They have to know Trump will be extremely volatile and they have to plan as if there were no tariffs at all. Even if they are implemented, they would be rescinded in January should he lose re-election.

Jan 20, 2019
So a 35% tariff in total in 2020?

Just trying to figure it out. I thought the tariff was going to be raised to 25%, not by 25%.

Edit: just read, this 10% hike is in addition to the proposed 25% hike. Oh my god

Yap, thank god there is a election next year.

What im hoping, is that both companys shift production to USA from another country and China to the rest of the world.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Let's put it this way a RX5700 level GPU is about 7x more powerful then the PS4s gpu and abou 2x the 1X gpu.

You said Navi needs to be a 9.75tflops to faster then stadia 10.7tflops, which is not true, stadia is basically a overclocked vega 56. Reviews have the RX5700 beating the vega 64 which is more powerful then the vega 56.

If PS5 or scarlett were 7.5tflops, they would be about 20% more powerful then one stadia stack.
I'm sorry, these cards are like quantum mechanics to me. That does sound better.

AegonSnakes, RevengeTakens and Xeontechs (I don't know who else) 12-13 RDNA FLOPS would be unfathomably (is that a word?) good. That would be such a large jump it would be crazy. We can all pray to the GPU gods that they are right.

Speaking of GPU power, I just read a tweet from a ND dev that suggested that TLOU Part 2 looks a gen ahead of UC4. On the same generation! I can't bloody wait.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Well, console prices have always been higher in the EU -because of the higher VAT if I'm correct- so I guess it'll be just adjusted to the new tax. I don't think this will affect prices here. (At least I hope.)
Maybe not in EU, but im sure in Australia they will charge triple & use the excuse "but it's 600 in USA!" lmao

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yap, thank god there is a election next year.

What im hoping, is that both companys shift production to USA from another country and China to the rest of the world.
labor costs a lot more in the u.s and its tedious mind numbing work thats literally making chinese worker sucidal. you are simply not going to get those jobs back to the u.s. i remember reading a book where Obama asked Steve Jobs if he can bring iphone manufacturing back to the u.s and jobs simply said no.

no one here wants to pay $800 for a ps5 made in the u.s

Feb 10, 2018
I'm sorry, these cards are like quantum mechanics to me. That does sound better.

AegonSnakes, RevengeTakens and Xeontechs (I don't know who else) 12-13 RDNA FLOPS would be unfathomably (is that a word?) good. That would be such a large jump it would be crazy. We can all pray to the GPU gods that they are right.

Speaking of GPU power, I just read a tweet from a ND dev that suggested that TLOU Part 2 looks a gen ahead of UC4. On the same generation! I can't bloody wait.

Anything higher then 11 Navi tflops is a pipedream, ppl spouting 12-13 Navi tflops they are dreaming. They are completely ignoring historical console power usage levels.

Feb 10, 2018
Is it true that 200W is the maximum?

The xbox 1x has a 245w Psu, it draws on average 170w under full load.

The 5700 draws 177w under full load, now that is the power draw of the full card, so the fan and ram and other little chips contribute to that number. But next gen consoles will still have power draw coming from more ram, CPU, ssd, and other parts.
The 5700xt draws 217w on average under ful load, which is why I think around 5700xt performance is the limit. a 5700xt would draw more power then the 1Xs GPU, however the 1Xs 245watt Psu might be able to cope with it

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
The xbox 1x has a 245w Psu, it draws on average 170w under full load.

The 5700 draws 177w under full load, now that is the power draw of the full card, so the fan and ram and other little chips contribute to that number. But next gen consoles will still have power draw coming from more ram, CPU, ssd, and other parts.
The 5700xt draws 217w on average under ful load, which is why I think around 5700xt performance is the limit. a 5700xt would draw more power then the 1Xs GPU, however the 1Xs 245watt Psu might be able to cope with it
Thanks. I haven't been following along with what AegonSnake's defenses were, didn't he try to counter this?

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The threat and level of tariffs will probably change 13 times between now and Fall 2020. They have to know Trump will be extremely volatile and they have to plan as if there were no tariffs at all. Even if they are implemented, they would be rescinded in January should he lose re-election.
By the time they need announce the price they have to stick with it regardless how volatile President Orange is. I hope they (MS&Sony) not just take the US price as the base and make it the same WW even Europe or Japan have no such tariffs.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
By the time they need announce the price they have to stick with it regardless how volatile President Orange is. I hope they (MS&Sony) not just take the US price as the base and make it the same WW even Europe or Japan have no such tariffs.
I imagine they will wait as long as possible to announce price. We didn't get prices until E3 last time, and I bet they try to push past that if one doesn't blink first.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

No.

The prevalence of dumbfuck Trump supporters in the gaming community is disgraceful and they deserve to be called out. We all literally pay the price because of people like them. I have zero tolerance for their bullshit.

I'm thankful that I live in a state with no sales tax to at least somewhat offset a potential price increase, but I'm still going to be pretty pissed if I have to pay more just because of Trump's dumbass trade war.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
It just seems crazy low. Since both manufacturers are looking to create balanced machines I fear that a 5700 might not be that balanced with a Zen 2. A few months back Schreier said both of them wanted to top Stadia's 10.7 Vega FLOPS. That would technically mean 9.75 Navi FLOPS minimum.

You're taking Schreier's quote out of context. He didn't say both those companies said they want to beat stadia. He said HE thinks they'll want to beat stadia. It's not based on any inside info or anything of the sort, just what he thinks they'll want to do. People misquoting that post is the reason he stopped dropping news on ERA.

Thanks. I haven't been following along with what AegonSnake's defenses were, didn't he try to counter this?

I wouldn't put too much stock in his arguments or defenses.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
You're taking Schreier's quote out of context. He didn't say both those companies said they want to beat stadia. He said HE thinks they'll want to beat stadia. It's not based on any inside info or anything of the sort, just what he thinks they'll want to do. People misquoting that post is the reason he stopped dropping news on ERA.

I wouldn't put too much stock in his arguments or defenses.
I see now.

It's just the life of a hardware optimist :)

No.

The prevalence of dumbfuck Trump supporters in the gaming community is disgraceful and they deserve to be called out. We all literally pay the price because of people like them. I have zero tolerance for their bullshit.

I'm thankful that I live in a state with no sales tax to at least somewhat offset a potential price increase, but I'm still going to be pretty pissed if I have to pay more just because of Trump's dumbass trade war.
Yes, but your generalizing. A gamer who is a Trump supporter does not = what your referring to. You're talking about a very small minority who have extremely little to do with the U.S. governments "tariff" decisions.

HesienbergSHO

Banned
Dec 29, 2018
User banned (permanent): supporting bigotry
No.

I am a huge gamer plus a huge Trump supporter and proud of it.

Sorry this offends some, not really.

I am buying both next gen console regardless and can't wait though the PS5 will be first no matter the price.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Funny related story, when this gen launched in Canada, the Canadian dollar was on par with the US greenback, then things slipped badly. When my wife (at the time gf) bought her PS4 day 1, it was $400 cad. When I got my hands on one 4 months later, it was $420, of course it's $420 plus 13% tax, so an even more stark difference. And considering the Canadian dollar was at par (or even above!) for at least a year before we had "US pricing", in Canada it actually makes more sense to buy day 1 and be done with it if you were always going to get one anyway. It's a real fucked up unintentional "incentive" to buy day one

Edit: I was going to wait till th following Christmas for a deal, but based on my observations the dollar was just going to get worse (I was right), so I just bit th bullet. Launch PS4 was $400, PS4 slim today is $370

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
It wil be a on a scene by scene basis nd also baed on the kinda game. Its not going to be as straightforward as saying ok if we only render at x resolution ten we will be saving y amount of power. So it can be anywhere from as little as 5% to as much as ay 40%...

Eg, take HZ2 for instance, when it gets dark (iht) where visibility will naturally drop, they can shad majority of the peripheral pixels at half the rez while leaving the pixels in focus at full rez.

Seems like VRS would be wonderful for horror games then. That said, I hope they don't degrade dark sections to the point that the game looks like ass on an OLED TV.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
We'll probably see a big surge in horror games anyway do to 3D audio and RT (seeing some creature reflected in a mirror for example). Can't wait to piss myself!

Well, it would also require the people at the top being willing to fund them. Hopefully Capcom can continue leading this charge - following RE8 and RE3make, I would love a fully next-gen Code Veronica remake.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Well, it would also require the people at the top being willing to fund them. Hopefully Capcom can continue leading this charge - following RE8 and RE3make, I would love a fully next-gen Code Veronica remake.
It sucks that we didn't get many AAA horror games this gen. I think the late 90's-mid 2000's is considered to be the golden age of horror games. At least we still have the indie industry to count us in on that. I'm very much looking forward to the next Outlast game.

I am a huge gamer plus a huge Trump supporter and proud of it.

Sorry this offends some, not really.

I am buying both next gen console regardless and can't wait though the PS5 will be first no matter the price.
Hold up, this guy gets banned for saying this? Now this is a proper "yeesh" moment.

Last edited:

Nivek

Banned
Apr 24, 2019
User banned (permanent): supporting bigotry
Also a Trump supporter. US had it way too good with console prices.
10% makes a $499 into $549 bringing it in line with rest of the world.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Well, console prices have always been higher in the EU -because of the higher VAT if I'm correct- so I guess it'll be just adjusted to the new tax. I don't think this will affect prices here. (At least I hope.)

And in Scandinavia because Nordisk Film is the sole importer. That's why Pro cost 439€, PS4 449€, and PS3 whopping 659€ at launch here in Finland.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Remember that US prices are without tax as well.

Haha, just noticed Trump supporters appearing. "Proud of it." :lol

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Perfectly fine with any Trump supporters getting banned.

Not only is he openly racist, you are basically supporting everyone else having to pay more next-gen, just so that you can continue enjoying his racism.
Get out of here!

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
Perfectly fine with any Trump supporters getting banned.

Not only is he openly racist, you are basically supporting everyone else having to pay more next-gen, just so that you can continue enjoying his racism.
Get out of here!
Same. Now that he's OPENLY racist any supporters shouldn't have a place here.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Okay this thread took a weird turn .
Still if the tariffs hit the USA harder i will have to import my console for some where else .

Status
Not open for further replies.