• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
RDNA of course. yes, the captain is going down with the ship. ;p

• I think we will get 56 CUs in both consoles after seeing the die size estimates pegging the SOC at 380-400mm2.
  • Gonzolo clocks at 1.8ghz gives us 12.9 tflops.
  • Gonzolo firestrike score is very high for a CPU with just 3.2 ghz clockspeeds which means the GPU is much stronger than the 19k overall score we see here for a 1.885 ghz rx 5700 xt when paired with a 4.25 ghz Ryzen 2700x cpu.
  • TDP is the big roadblock here cockblocking team 12.9 tflops, but Rylen's tests show that just downclocking by 35% gives us a massive 80-100% drop in power usage.
  • Reiner said devs told him PS5 is more powerful.
  • He who shall not be named said he heard PS5 is definitively more powerful.
  • Panello thought Sony had a 8 tflops gpu. MS was likely going with the sandwich strategy of 5 and 11 tflops because of this, which is why they were so sure about having the performance advantage.
  • 5700XT is not a good card to base next gen estimates from. It doesnt have RT which is deeply integrated into GPU design. It doesnt have support for Variable shading which MS has already confirmed.
  • 7nm+ and Next gen rdna is a thing. I wouldnt be surprised if RDNA 2.0 was designed with 7nm+ in mind and that both or atleast one console is going to be on it. It makes more sense for Sony since they seem to have magically made a more powerful console out of thin air. 7nm+ should make their 56 CU chip smaller and let them clock it higher than whatever MS was planning. but i think both consoles have it and sony has some other trick up their sleeve. #HBM4life.
Excellent post, requesting permission to board the SS 12.9.
I've got cookies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I have to wonder what the stock situation will be for next gen consoles upon launch and the following few months. I wonder if they're going to try and better prepare knowing that these things will be insanely popular and will try to have 2-3x the amount of consoles prepped for launch and increase the supply chain to try and mitigate any shortages.

I know there's only so much they can do, and I suppose there's some marketing buzz to be had at reports of the consoles being sold out everywhere, increasing the demand in peoples minds... still I do hope they manage to get more consoles out there relative to this gens launches.

I've watched one or two of his Youtube videos and it seems he claims to know people in the industry and has insider info. Whether that's true or not though, I honestly couldn't say. I wasn't too impressed with his videos and never bothered to go back.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

• I think we will get 56 CUs in both consoles after seeing the die size estimates pegging the SOC at 380-400mm2.
  • Gonzolo firestrike score is very high for a CPU with just 3.2 ghz clockspeeds which means the GPU is much stronger than the 19k overall score we see here for a 1.885 ghz rx 5700 xt when paired with a 4.25 ghz Ryzen 2700x cpu.
  • TDP is the big roadblock here cockblocking team 12.9 tflops, but Rylen's tests show that just downclocking by 35% gives us a massive 80-100% drop in power usage.
  • Panello thought Sony had a 8 tflops gpu. MS was likely going with the sandwich strategy of 5 and 11 tflops because of this, which is why they were so sure about having the performance advantage.
  • 5700XT is not a good card to base next gen estimates from. It doesnt have RT which is deeply integrated into GPU design. It doesnt have support for Variable shading which MS has already confirmed.
  • 7nm+ and Next gen rdna is a thing. I wouldnt be surprised if RDNA 2.0 was designed with 7nm+ in mind and that both or atleast one console is going to be on it. It makes more sense for Sony since they seem to have magically made a more powerful console out of thin air. 7nm+ should make their 56 CU chip smaller and let them clock it higher than whatever MS was planning. but i think both consoles have it and sony has some other trick up their sleeve. #HBM4life.
We don't know for sure if it has variable shading or not, but since AMD are quiet on that front, it probably doesn't.
5700 XT is a bit of a joke for a 7nm GPU at it's price.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
So anything new while I've been gone on vacay?

Side note/advice: if you're ever offered a chance to go on vacation with the in-laws, for the love of God don't do it

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Zen doing God's work for AMD:

AMD Ryzen Overtakes Intel Core CPUs Market Share In Major Asian Pacific Markets, Highest CPU Share in 5 Years

Plus some good new for PS6 and Next next Xbox:

AMD's Next-Gen Zen 5 Core Shows Up In Chief Architect's Profile, Post-2020 Chip Architecture For Future Ryzen, Threadripper & EPYC CPUs

AMD overtaking intel in market share, well god damn.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Random dude is getting me hyped! I hope it's true that Sony is going hard and not resting on their laurels. Can't wait to see these next-gen consoles and games!

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Plus some good new for PS6 and Next next Xbox:
2020 sounds like it could be used in the assumed Pro/X upgrades. Or maybe for the next Nintendo console? *gasp* Nintendo have said nothing at all about their next gen plans, except the refining the controller talk. What a wonderful twist if Nintendo decided to go with a powerful console and released it like a year or two after PS5/XB1 with better hardware. :D

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Random dude is getting me hyped! I hope it's true that Sony is going hard and not resting on their laurels. Can't wait to see these next-gen consoles and games!
you mean foxy? he is unreliable, although i dont think 6 AAA games for year 1 is impossible:
ghost of tsushima, GT7 as launch day titles,
horizon 2, housemarque AAA and MLB for H1 2021
spiderman 2 for H2 2021.

here are your 6 AAA titles

Last edited:

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
you mean foxy? he is unreliable, although i dont think 6 AAA games for year 1 is impossible:
horizon 2, housemarque AAA and MLB for H1 2020
spiderman 2 for H2 2020.

Spider-Man came out september 2018. I'm not seeing a PS5 version being developed in 2 years. My guess is 2022 at the earliest.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Spider-Man came out september 2018. I'm not seeing a PS5 version being developed in 2 years. My guess is 2022 at the earliest.
oh i meant 2021 lol, PS5 aint even out until end of 2020.
and spiderman PS4 was made in around 3 years, so i can see it being ready in the same period of time

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
oh i meant 2021 lol, PS5 aint even out until end of 2020.
and spiderman PS4 was made in around 3 years, so i can see it being ready in the same period of time

Spider-Man took 4 years.

Spider-Man PS5 will most likely be way bigger, have way more textures and way more stuff (NPC's, traffic, animals etc.) going on. Unless they massively expand their team, it will take longer to make.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Spider-Man took 4 years.

Spider-Man PS5 will most likely be way bigger, have way more textures and way more stuff (NPC's, traffic, animals etc.) going on. Unless they massively expand their team, it will take longer to make.
insomniac said the game was in full production for only 2 years.
this time they can have a much quicker pre production

Insomniac prototyped the mechanic early on - the project began life in late 2014, and entered "full production" in 2017 - but nailing the feel took years of revision.

now they have the "feel"

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

now they have the "feel"

Yeah, a lot of the basics are there, they can just iterate on that. Also, the fact that Spider-man has been used for a PS5 tech demo purposes makes it sound to me that they're actually well into development. I don't think it will be a launch game tho.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Yeah, a lot of the basics are there, they can just iterate on that. Also, the fact that Spider-man has been used for a PS5 tech demo purposes makes it sound to me that they're actually well into development. I don't think it will be a launch game tho.
i think it will be a september 2021 game, 3 years of development time

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

now they have the "feel"

This.

Pre-production to refactor their engine and dev toolchain as well as develop the core mechanics makes sense.

The basic template is now already there and they need only iterate on it.

As long as development is smooth and there are no major mid-production pivots, 3yrs should be good.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Even if rando, what he says isn't far fetched.

6 first party AAA games for year one? Feels far fetched. Either that or expect a massive drought for years 2-3 while they catch up from the launch spurt.

6 first party games including smaller games like a Resogun and 'definitive editions' of eg TLOU/GoT - sure. But not brand new games.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

We got some nice numbers for Zen with current draw and performance between 2.8-32.GHz. But I think we're still missing similar for Gonzo the great. 56CU on an APU (so running alongside a big CPU) - running at 5700XT clocks? Seems hungry to me. What would the current draw be and how would that affect likely TDP?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
6 first party AAA games for year one? Feels far fetched. Either that or expect a massive drought for years 2-3 while they catch up from the launch spurt.

6 first party games including smaller games like a Resogun and 'definitive editions' of eg TLOU/GoT - sure. But not brand new games.
i think i suggested a very possible 6 game lineup in my post:
horizon 2, housemarque AAA and MLB for H1 2021
spiderman 2 for H2 2021.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017

Killzone, Resogun, Knack, Infamous, Driveclub, mlb the show

I mean, it's not. And there won't be a drought for years.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

Killzone, Resogun, Knack, Infamous, Driveclub, mlb the show

I mean, it's not. And there won't be a drought for years.

Exactly, and the tweet specifically said exclusives, not first party, so Japanese third party exclusives are included.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
i think it will be a september 2021 game, 3 years of development time

Yeah im hoping for an early 2021 launch but late 2021 sounds more sensible. Really looking forward to it. Even if they only 'crank up' the current game (improved models, lighting, streaming, animation, denser traffic/pedestrians, better AI, improved image quality) it would already be an awesome looking game, hehe.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about what to play at launch of the new consoles and right through they're first year and all I can think about is Game Pass, of course it'll have all the first party titles from the fifteen studios but I would imagine developers would love to launch into GP at the start of next gen and capitalize on all the buzz and hype.

Scarlett can be $599 and I'd still save money on what i paid at launch of the XB1console and games lol.

Feb 26, 2018
Thinking about what to play at launch of the new consoles and right through they're first year and all I can think about is Game Pass, of course it'll have all the first party titles from the fifteen studios but I would imagine developers would love to launch into GP at the start of next gen and capitalize on all the buzz and hype.

Scarlett can be $599 and I'd still save money on what i paid at launch of the XB1console and games lol.
Are you quoting some MS PR?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Great to have you here with us Mr Spencer.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Platform warring and antagonizing other members
Sorry folks. Let me change that.

I cant wait for TLoU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima and oh my God, Horizon 2 is going to look jaw dropping.

Playstation is going to have at least six AAA during the first year and I can't wait! Better?

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

Why would you imagine that? 3rd party developers literally put only their underperforming / old titles on Game Pass. Probably because it's a terrible deal for them otherwise.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would you imagine that? 3rd party developers literally put only their underperforming / old titles on Game Pass. Probably because it's a terrible deal for them otherwise.

Ashen, Below, Void Bastards, The Outer Wilds etc etc. All underperformed before they even released , that's some feat!

And seeing as you are privy to the contracts offered to developers can you give us any details of them?

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not just re-consider the wording of your post to avoid packing as many PR buzzwords into a single post as possible?
I hope you are at least getting paid for this

Do you say this to everyone who comes into the thread to exalt one of the platforms or its offerings?

Everytime someone mentions how excited they are I'll remember to use both of your examples, and I hope you do the same. Should I tag you in posts that I think deserve your critique?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Sorry folks. Let me change that.

I cant wait for TLoU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima and oh my God, Horizon 2 is going to look jaw dropping.

Playstation is going to have at least six AAA during the first year and I can't wait! Better?
i dont understand why you got to derail the thread like this.
talking about services is not in most of this thread's interest because its only discussing price of engagement rather than what you would be able to do with those games on a next generation hardware.
when we are talking about how pretty thiose games are, its because we want to imagine how good they will look on a new generation, in the case of MS, we already even have 2 showcases for that:

the 2018 trailer especially looked gorgeous, i am excited to see how it will look like closer to launch.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i dont understand why you got to derail the thread like this.
talking about services is not in most of this thread's interest because its only discussing price of engagement rather than what you would be able to do with those games on a next generation hardware.
when we are talking about how pretty thiose games are, its because we want to imagine how good they will look on a new generation, in the case of MS, we already even have 2 showcases for that:

the 2018 trailer especially looked gorgeous, i am excited to see how it will look like closer to launch.

Next gen speculation thread, where we discuss strategies and potential hardware related to next gen. It's not a derailment. People can read, ignore, respond to my posts in any way they see fit but i should still be allowed to post them, right?

Feb 26, 2018
Do you say this to everyone who comes into the thread to exalt one of the platforms or its offerings?

Everytime someone mentions how excited they are I'll remember to use both of your examples, and I hope you do the same. Should I tag you in posts that I think deserve your critique?
You can say how excited you are without sounding like a PR person for some corporation.
But you obviously dont see a difference and thats really sad

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

now they have the "feel"

Most likely because part of the team was busy with Ratchet & Clank. With that said: we simply don't know what a new console will mean for the franchise. If they make Manhattan 4 (or more) times bigger that would most likely mean we will get said amount of times of content. In an extreme case, that could even mean development will be even longer than the first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.