• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
This will likely be an unpopular opinion, but the more I see of Ray Tracing, the less important it seems to me. They payoff for the amount of power it needs doesn't seem worth it.
Does it look better, of course. But Control having more realistic floor reflections doesn't exactly seem like a game changer to me.

It makes the world feel more alive just like trees that sway in the wind and surround audio. It helps immersion tremendously.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
is it reasonable to expect a boost mode 2.0 for unpatched games on Scarlett, and ps5?

Or will these systems emulate older hardware? :0

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
is it reasonable to expect a boost mode 2.0 for unpatched games on Scarlett, and ps5?

Or will these systems emulate older hardware? :0

I'm sure they will. He'll, the Pro and X were probably somewhat like test beds for the feature. Though bigger improvements would require patching, and I hope some 30fps games get patches to turn off their cap (or change it to a 60fps one).

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Never forget it is an approximation.

Also the NAVI cores seem to be more complex. DF stated it in the recent article and video that NAVI has the double amount of transistors compared to Polaris (or Vega, don't remember).

Zen 2 core complexes are also larger even in 7nm (70-80mm^2). I run with 80mm^2 to be on the safe side.

Think about a NAVI 5700XT already is 251mm^2 and most of the building blocks on there will be on a console SOC as well (GPU core components + Memory Interface + IO)

That is what I mean. 251mm^2 before you even start on RT, Audio block (Cerny talked about a 3D audio block in Wired) 8 much more complex/bigger Zen 2 cores and a massive increase in cache. PS4 was based around a 212mm^2 Pitcairn and added 8 tiny Jaguar cores and few extra ACEs and came in at 348mm^2.

Something will have to give with these next-gen console SoCs IMO and I'm curious to find out in what way(s)......

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That is what I mean. 251mm^2 before you even start on RT, Audio block (Cerny talked about a 3D audio block in Wired) 8 much more complex/bigger Zen 2 cores and a massive increase in cache. PS4 was based around a 212mm^2 Pitcairn and added 8 tiny Jaguar cores and few extra ACEs and came in at 348mm^2.

Something will have to give with these next-gen console SoCs IMO and I'm curious to find out in what way(s)......
I think we will see larger dies and due to the more complex 7nm node the SOC will be more expensive too. Reason I believe we should say $399 good bye.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
Remember the APU with Linux drivers that some thought may be PS5? What about SMS's "Mad Box"? Could it be for that?

Hijacking your post a bit, but I've always been puzzled by some thinking Linux drivers mean it can't be a console APU. One of the main reasons Linux has more hardware support than anything else is that having your drivers as part of the kernel mean you don't have to keep patching in your drivers as they're maintained as part of the tree. And the developers will keep them up to date for you as various internal interfaces change. Often it'll just be some small definitions for a shared driver anyway. It's a good test bed for trying things out and will run on just about anything.

I'd be surprised if the Mad Box even got that far, and if it was using anything other than off the shelf parts at this point.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I'm sure they will. He'll, the Pro and X were probably somewhat like test beds for the feature. Though bigger improvements would require patching, and I hope some 30fps games get patches to turn off their cap (or change it to a 60fps one).
I hope you're correct. I want to try Just Cause 3. See how much of a bump it gets.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I think we will see larger dies and due to the more complex 7nm node the SOC will be more expensive too. Reason I believe we should say $399 good bye.

I almost wonder if part of why both Sony and Microsoft threw out 8K support for example was to get people comfortable early that these are going to be $499 boxes with such "forward looking tech" even though we all know that it won't be in use much :)

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never forget it is an approximation.

Also the NAVI cores seem to be more complex. DF stated it in the recent article and video that NAVI has the double amount of transistors compared to Polaris (or Vega, don't remember).

Zen 2 core complexes are also larger even in 7nm (70-80mm^2). I run with 80mm^2 to be on the safe side.

Think about a NAVI 5700XT already is 251mm^2 and most of the building blocks on there will be on a console SOC as well (GPU core components + Memory Interface + IO)

right. he did a great comparison between a polaris 36 cu gpu and the new rx 5700 gpu. 4.7 vs 10.3 billion transistors. so while they werent able to double the CU count going from 14nm to 7nm, they were able to make improvements within the CUs.

im not sure why hes going with 360-380mm2 though. I thought the b3d post had it pegged at over 380mm2 going over 400mm2.

Also, i am pretty sure everthing on the die gets a size reduction so those memory controllers, IO and core components on the SOC are much smaller on 7nm and wont take up as much space as they did on the x1x or the pro. that leaves a lot more space for some gold old fashioned Compute Units.

For instance, the PS4 pro was only 325mm2 despite having 2x the CUs. it got smaller by 25mm2.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Could well be $499. In which case sales will be sluggish after the initial hardcore/next cool thing honeymoon.
Maybe that is why it seems MS is planning for a wider cross gen period for 1st party games ... they seem to be more interested in selling games and having active users in their subscriptions ... which makes sense with their business model ... if they drop the price massively for the One X this could actually work for a short period of time ... after some time the halo effect kicks in by the hardcore crowd talking about how awesome the new consoles are: No loading times, the physics, the NPCs, the RT, and whatever else ...

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Could well be $499. In which case sales will be sluggish after the initial hardcore/next cool thing honeymoon.

If they both go with $499,and most of 3rd party games will still be cross gen for quite some time,i also expect very sluggish sales in 2021 after few strong months post launch.

I strongly believe Sony will stick with $399 price again.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If they both go with $499,and most of 3rd party games will still be cross gen for quite some time,i also expect very sluggish sales in 2021 after few strong months post launch.

Predicting prices is hard as they are not bound to cost. But if Sony is willing to stay with the $399 price they will take not a small hit imo. But we will see.

---------

AFK for today

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

In which case it would almost certainly mean a lower clocked 40CU RX 5700XT at best I think?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
One way to illustrate where I'm coming from: consider that LoTR game with the Nemesis system. Now imagine the dev had to make the choice at the beginning of this gen to go with their vision of the Nemesis system or sacrifice that for 60fps. While 60fps is beneficial, it's not essential for that type of even-paced open world game. It certainly isn't worth, however, sacrificing what would turn out to be the game's most defining feature, i.e. the Nemesis system, for 60fps.

This is not a logical example at all. I mean, first of all, the Nemesis system isn't really related to the graphics processing pipeline, it's a core gameplay feature, so it's not something that would get cut in the first place. But more importantly, developers have way more levers to push and pull to try to get to their target frame rate with their target IQ. It will basically never be a simple dichotomy like this, like "give up 60fps or the gameplay gets it!"

Also, all of your logic could just as easily be used to argue against mandating developers support 1080p or even 720p, which I think relatively few people would object to next-generation consoles doing.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
give me 499 and ill either use a CC or see if they offer monthly plans without going through a vendor.

Microsoft Store just tweeted this about their Surface All Access plans with low monthly cost and no money down. Xbox tested this type of plan last year, and I really think it is very possible, if not likely, that they will offer such a thing when Xbox Scarlett launches. That could be really huge for them to do that when you consider Xbox Game Pass in the picture there too.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
This is not a logical example at all. I mean, first of all, the Nemesis system isn't really related to the graphics processing pipeline, it's a core gameplay feature, so it's not something that would get cut in the first place. But more importantly, developers have way more levers to push and pull to try to get to their target frame rate with their target IQ. It will basically never be a simple dichotomy like this, like "give up 60fps or the gameplay gets it!"

Also, all of your logic could just as easily be used to argue against mandating developers support 1080p or even 720p, which I think relatively few people would object to next-generation consoles doing.

You're arguing under the premise that 60fps has more to do with the GPU than CPU... it doesn't.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Btw,regarding PS5 price-this is very good post by Miniature Kaiju and with his approval i'll repost it,i agree with him 100% on this:

Let's take a look at what the guys building the next PS have to say about this pricing thing. Sony has stated that:

a) PS4 will be the main profit driver for the first few years of the new generation. Profit being the operative word; not revenue, profit.
b) They want and expect to transition players very quickly to the next gen platform.
c) There's also the graph that showed a massive dip in projected division profitability for the FY after the gen launch, and that's noteworthy especially when you take into account their growth in recurring revenues.

A tells me the PS5 won't sell at a profit. It likely won't be very profitable - or at all - after the initial purchases (i.e. game, accessory and PS+ sub).
B tells me they are going for mainstream pricing, cutting as close to no-brainer buy as they can - getting as many people on your new platform as early as you can is important because of the network effect, and they understand that very well.

These things together tell me PS5 will sell at a considerable loss to achieve a mainstream price. $399 and not one cent above that.

Dec 31, 2017
I really wonder how people would react to a more powerful console with a higher price tag compared to a less powerful console with a lower price tag. It's easy to see why the Xbox One failed by being at a higher price and less powerful, but would it have sold more if it actually had been more powerful than the PS4? I keep hearing the lower price tag helped, but power also did come up a lot when people went with PS4.

I am expecting both to be priced exactly the same this time around though, and 499$ seems to be the right price, although 449$ might be easier to swallow.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

AMD themselves said a 250mm^2 die cost double what it did versus 14/16nm. That will improve over time I'm sure, but that will make it challenging from a cost perspective.

I think a $399 MSRP can exist, but that console probably has no more than 40CUs and potentially only has a 128-256GB sized SSD with complementary hard disk.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sony patent ...
Ignore if old ...

New PS5 Patent Says One of the Most Annoying Gamer Gripes Could Disappear
In fact, it looks like the PS 5 will attempt to make loading screens a thing of the past. This is according to a recent continuation patent filed by Sony and which was granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday. The latest version of the patent describes how a future gaming system could split up game environments into various segments to enable smooth loading transitions.

More in the article ...

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Microsoft Store just tweeted this about their Surface All Access plans with low monthly cost and no money down. Xbox tested this type of plan last year, and I really think it is very possible, if not likely, that they will offer such a thing when Xbox Scarlett launches. That could be really huge for them to do that when you consider Xbox Game Pass in the picture there too.

Exactly why i mentioned it :P to jog our memories. hehe.
I think in the end of the promotion, they were able to offer this in other retailers other than just a Microsoft Store right?

Jan 20, 2019
I really wonder how people would react to a more powerful console with a higher price tag compared to a less powerful console with a lower price tag. It's easy to see why the Xbox One failed by being at a higher price and less powerful, but would it have sold more if it actually had been more powerful than the PS4? I keep hearing the lower price tag helped, but power also did come up a lot when people went with PS4.

I am expecting both to be priced exactly the same this time around though, and 499$ seems to be the right price, although 449$ might be easier to swallow.

Power and price has a huge factor from the peopel that change from the 360 to the ps4, however, the big factor has the gaming support.

The games that got release between 2015 and 2018 between both companys has on another level.

Sony got a goty contener in 2015 and 2017 and the goty 2016 and 2018.

The beginning was hard for Microsoft but it has the gaming support that made the gen soo 1 sided.

It is also one of the reasons that Microsoft change their view on BC, crossplay and gamepass.

Jun 18, 2018

It's been covered before but is a basic form of streaming. Not only do games have more sophisticated streaming systems, but they still require a minimum amount of data to be loaded before they can be played, so still required loading screens.

It always comes back to; "what's the minimum amount of data you need loaded to start playing and have no hiccups?" and that's still GBs of data.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

The things is MS did not have the content even when they drop there price like PS3 for eg .
Most of this gen MS has been cheaper than Sony and have try many things and still get out sold by them .
Price and messaging hurt MS the first year ( they still okay when you look at it)but after that there were many factors at play that hurt them during this gen .

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The things is MS did not have the content even when they drop there price like PS3 for eg .
Most of this gen MS has been cheaper than Sony and have try many things and still get out sold by them .
Price and messaging hurt MS the first year ( they still okay when you look at it)but after that there were many factors at play that hurt them during this gen .

Thing is we had ps3 release at hundreds more with inferior multiplats and upon its release during its lifetime it still beat out Xbox 360 world wide almost every single month. There's already history. Sony brand is just really strong globally and Microsoft won't be a sales leader globally unless Sony has a crazy meltdown. Remember this was even when psn went down for awhile during ps3 era and ppl still chose ps3 over Xbox globally.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is we had ps3 release at hundreds more with inferior multiplats and upon its release during its lifetime it still beat out Xbox 360 world wide almost every single month. There's already history. Sony brand is just really strong globally and Microsoft won't be a sales leader globally unless Sony has a crazy meltdown. Remember this was even when psn went down for awhile during ps3 era and ppl still chose ps3 over Xbox globally.

Yeah that gen show just how strong the Sony brand is .
MS has so much going for them it was crazy when you look at all the factors .
No other company could have gotten that amount of sales last gen Sony got with that many fuck up .

Status
Not open for further replies.