• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly think that 120fps will remain a pipe dream this generation unless we're talking small scale indie titles or games from previous generations i.e. Overwatch and other 60fps titles.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly think that 120fps will remain a pipe dream this generation unless we're talking small scale indie titles or games from previous generations i.e. Overwatch and other 60fps titles.

I would love it if Halo Infinity launched with a 120fps option for MP (with the same sort of trade offs we see with the X enhanced options on current gen). I think that's a genuine possibility, confined to MP.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I don't believe - nor expect there to be 'defining' next-gen features. SSDs and stronger processing power will facilate some games to do things that they couldn't in the past, but smart and interesting game design imo - are achieved in spite of all the technical limitations, not because they're held back by it.

And that's fine to be honest. We started off this generation with a bunch of marlakey like "where's games that have next-gen gameplay", and eventually we stopped seeing nonsense like that as more people realise game design and gameplay isn't some voodoo magic.

All that matters are that the games are good and made both ethically with responsible finances.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I would love it if Halo Infinity launched with a 120fps option for MP (with the same sort of trade offs we see with the X enhanced options on current gen). I think that's a genuine possibility, confined to MP.

I believe that some of the Xbox folks around E3 used words to almost confirm that this will be the case. I mean you don't at least mention 120 fps options for your new Scarlett console without having your flagship game support them, right :)

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
120 fps ? New consoles will have vega 64/gtx1080 level of perf so 30fps in 4k and 60 in 1440p are realistic levels

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Spec Analysis: Can Project Scarlett truly deliver Xbox's biggest generational leap?
What if raw performance isn't the game-changer this time?

After a pitch-perfect, well choreographed introduction to Xbox One X way back in 2016, hopes were high that Microsoft could repeat the trick for the crucial reveal of Project Scarlett at this year's E3. New details were indeed unveiled, major claims were made - but Microsoft muddied the waters somewhat with messaging that still leaves us unclear about what the new box is actually about, how powerful it is and what the vision is that separates it from Sony's upcoming PlayStation 5, built from the same technological building blocks.

Based on our own information, along with teasing reveals within the Scarlett announcement trailer, here are my thoughts on the set-up of the box - well, one of them at least. Curiously, Microsoft is using very strange PR-speak to avoid the question of the leaked lower-end box, codenamed Lockhart. Another interesting aspect is that while the Xbox One X reveal effectively told us the RAM allocation, SoC size, teraflop count and even clued us in on the cooler, Microsoft is being a lot more coy this time around and there may even be some red herrings in the assets this time around.

Scarlett was defined as the biggest generational leap in console technology that the firm has delivered - but I do think it hard to see the computational leap from OG Xbox to the Xbox 360 being bettered. Meanwhile, the 16x increase in RAM allocation seen moving from Xbox 360 to Xbox One is highly unlikely to be surpassed. Then there's the notion of Scarlett delivering a 4x leap in 'processing performance' over Xbox One X. On the CPU side, this does seem likely but the idea of the machine delivering an equivalent of 24 teraflops of GPU compute is unlikely.

It's a fairly big article:

Last edited:

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
I believe that some of the Xbox folks around E3 used words to almost confirm that this will be the case. I mean you don't at least mention 120 fps options for your new Scarlett console without having your flagship game support them, right :)

No flagship title, be it on XB or PS5 will offer a 120fps mode. 1000% guaranteed. But once again, i appreciate your..."enthusiasm".

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
No flagship title, be it on XB or PS5 will offer a 120fps mode. 1000% guaranteed. But once again, i appreciate your..."enthusiasm".
I already said it in a post above but you are 100% right, almost all TVs wont support 120hz, so no point. Heck most TVs wont support VRR that i know a lot of posters here want to be supported in games

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The 120fps is either a MS focus on VR capability, or it's just a push to make VRR more standard.

I am sure there will be plenty of 60fps options but if the system can push above that, then that is fine. A little headroom is always nice.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe - nor expect there to be 'defining' next-gen features. SSDs and stronger processing power will facilate some games to do things that they couldn't in the past, but smart and interesting game design imo - are achieved in spite of all the technical limitations, not because they're held back by it.

And that's fine to be honest. We started off this generation with a bunch of marlakey like "where's games that have next-gen gameplay", and eventually we stopped seeing nonsense like that as more people realise game design and gameplay isn't some voodoo magic.

All that matters are that the games are good and made both ethically with responsible finances.
While I think refinement will definitely be a big piece of next gen games, I do think the console tools being ramped up to this extent will allow them to explore their smart and creative ideas far better. That sort of thinking is held back by technical limitations. You can argue the extent but it is definitely there.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
120 fps ? New consoles will have vega 64/gtx1080 level of perf so 30fps in 4k and 60 in 1440p are realistic levels
Don't compare PC to console, even with Vulcan and DX12 PC cards can never get the same amount of performance that a console can with the same or similarly spec'd pc hardware. Low-level access APIs don't compare to programming to a single spec device.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I don't really understand why people are trying to make "one size fits all" claims about next-gen resolution and fps. Just like every gen before it, some games will be native 4K, some will be 4Kcb and some will probably even be sub-1440p (1800Pcb for instance, just like BFV); some will be 60, some will be 30. That's just how it goes, every developer chooses whatever fits their game. Developers will have ~X4 CPU, ~X7 GPU power, an SSD and a big pool of fast RAM and they will build their game in the way that fits their philosophy.

Claims regarding 8K and 120fps are just a way of saying "we have HDMI 2.1". The consoles are technically able to provide this kind of output, it doesn't mean that any developer will actually do it. Games will have a hard time hitting 4K, 8K is four times more pixels. Asking for 8K from the PS5 and Scarlett is like asking for 4K from the Switch. I doubt even PS4 remasters will be able to hit 8K native considering you need 29~ GCN TF in order to do that.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand why people are trying to make "one size fits all" claims about next-gen resolution and fps. Just like every gen before it, some games will be native 4K, some will be 4Kcb and some will probably even be sub-1440p (1800Pcb for instance); some will be 60, some will be 30. That's just how it goes, every developer chooses whatever fits their game. Developers will have ~X4 CPU, ~X7 GPU power, an SSD and a big pool of fast RAM and they will build their game in the way that fits their philosophy.
Pretty much.

Jun 18, 2018
My point is that consoles are closed box, fixed hardware spec. so there isn't infinite scope to increase game complexity while also rendering at twice the framerate; even with 4x the CPU next-gen.

You made that point by saying that 4x the processing power gives you access to 4x the simulation, which isn't the case. And it's also worth pointing out that doubling the framerate doesn't mean a straight halving of what you can do with the CPU per frame either.

Devs will choose what is best for their projects based on the resources they have. DrKeo nails it!

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Don't compare PC to console, even with Vulcan and DX12 PC cards can never get the same amount of performance that a console can with the same or similarly spec'd pc hardware. Low-level access APIs don't compare to programming to a single spec device.
Nah, true that often games are better optimized for consoles but there is no "magic" in console perf.

Nov 2, 2017
Surely devs will continue to choose what suits their individual games' needs? Whilst (hopefully) the availability of VRR will mean that more games will push for higher framerates knowing that they don't have to hold a stable 60fps 99% of the time?

Also, have you seen how good the new CoD:MW looks on a PS4Pro?

As for Ray Tracing, per pixel RT lighting is definitely off the cards, but we're already seeing alternate uses for RT for lighting, whether that's in Control (providing extra information to the voxel grid), NVidia's paper on RT radiance fields or other, unannounced tech.
Who's talking about COD? I was obviously talking about the games mentioned in one of the earlier posts like RDR2.

Raytracing is probably going to be like in the current or future RTX games where just 1 or 2 effects are partially raytraced but even then it's still going to a massive performance hog from what I've seen.
This has been true for CPU optimization but never really true for GPU optimization. A PC with a similar GPU as the PS4, Pro or even the X1X can do exactly what these consoles do. A 580 for example is on par with the X1X in what it can do. In that sense low-level APIs don't really do much on the GPU front, even on PC it's only about CPU optimization.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
This has been true for CPU optimization but never really true for GPU optimization. A PC with a similar GPU as the PS4, Pro or even the X1X can do exactly what these consoles do. A 580 for example is on par with the X1X in what it can do. In that sense low-level APIs don't really do much on the GPU front, even on PC it's only about CPU optimization.
Yeah definitely

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The 120fps is either a MS focus on VR capability, or it's just a push to make VRR more standard.

I am sure there will be plenty of 60fps options but if the system can push above that, then that is fine. A little headroom is always nice.

the 120fps is just a HDMI bullet point they're regurgitating like the 8k. Won't ever be used beyond a handful of games (and for 8k just stuff like media apps)

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I know increased fidelity will add more burden with next gen games, but the X is already exceeding those with good IQ this gen in more than just isolated examples.
Often checkerboard 1800p or mixed settings (some graphic setup in Division 2 are lower than pc low) and keep in mind that nextgen games will look better and be more demanding.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Would any devs even bother with low level APIs .
The only people you would see doing that is first party devs and that more on the Sony side since we hear about it a few times.
Not certain if they even do much of that this gen .

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Pretty sure something like Bleeding Edge will aim for 120fps on Scarlett
If you consider that flagship titel or not is a different question.

How do you even play Overwatch at 60fps on console?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been anything new on the horizon to help make better looking shadow maps without stupidly expensive render costs?

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Pretty sure something like Bleeding Edge will aim for 120fps on Scarlett
If you consider that flagship titel or not is a different question.

How do you even play Overwatch at 60fps on console?

For who, the minuscule amount of people that play their consoles on a screen that supports 120Hz?

I don't think this is a bulletpoint worth chasing in the slightest.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Surely devs will continue to choose what suits their individual games' needs? Whilst (hopefully) the availability of VRR will mean that more games will push for higher framerates knowing that they don't have to hold a stable 60fps 99% of the time?
I think that HDMI's VRR will force most devs to provide two modes of operation in their next gen console releases:
A. A "legacy mode" where a game is running locked at 30 or 60 for TVs without VRR capability.
B. A "modern mode" where the same game is running somewhat unlocked (likely still software limited inside some fps range though) between 30 and 60 or 60 and 90-120.

As for Ray Tracing, per pixel RT lighting is definitely off the cards, but we're already seeing alternate uses for RT for lighting, whether that's in Control (providing extra information to the voxel grid), NVidia's paper on RT radiance fields or other, unannounced tech.
Per pixel lighting is definitely not off the cards as any lighting with RT is per pixel. What Contol does is correct its voxel based GI with the help of per pixel visibility data it gets from shooting rays.

And btw this is something which Nvidia presented at GDC'19 as an RT-based optimization of a typical modern voxelized GI solution so I fully expect it to find its way into more games than Control.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
You made that point by saying that 4x the processing power gives you access to 4x the simulation, which isn't the case. And it's also worth pointing out that doubling the framerate doesn't mean a straight halving of what you can do with the CPU per frame either.

Devs will choose what is best for their projects based on the resources they have. DrKeo nails it!

That's neither what I said nor what I meant. You're reading something else into a frankly offhand illustrative comment.

For completeness, my precise wording was:

"...4x the simulation complexity" which was intended to be an intentionally vague and arbitrary description of the boost in game complexity that a 4x CPU perf jump brings. There's no need to start trying to ascribe specific definitions (e.g. 4x the number of trees) to an intentionally non-specific and very general statement.

Perhaps I should have worded it as "4x the CPU performance worth of increased game complexity"? I guess I just figured it would have been obvious.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
This will likely be an unpopular opinion, but the more I see of Ray Tracing, the less important it seems to me. They payoff for the amount of power it needs doesn't seem worth it.
Does it look better, of course. But Control having more realistic floor reflections doesn't exactly seem like a game changer to me.

Jun 18, 2018
Who's talking about COD? I was obviously talking about the games mentioned in one of the earlier posts like RDR2.

Me. As a question to highlight what can be achieved at 60FPS when a game is built for it at the start. It's a greater indication of what can be done with hardware and what trade offs may need to be made than taking a 30fps game and assuming you have to cut out half of what's being done each frame..

"...4x the simulation complexity" which was intended to be an intentionally vague and arbitrary description of the boost in game complexity that a 4x CPU perf jump brings. There's no need to start trying to ascribe specific definitions to an intentionally non-specific and very general statement.

Perhaps I should have worded it as "4x the CPU performance worth of increased game complexity"? I guess I just figured it would have been obvious.

The problem is that it isn't vague or arbitrary when '4x the simulation' complexity is mentioned in reference to the 4x CPU perf jump and as an opposing argument against 60fps titles. And worse, you don't even mention the possibility of increased simulation complexity with your 60fps option.

I don't think a Tetris port running at 8k and/or 120 fps is unfathomable for next gen.

I'd be curious to see how far they could push the frame rate and resolution in a new Wipeout :)

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
This will likely be an unpopular opinion, but the more I see of Ray Tracing, the less important it seems to me. They payoff for the amount of power it needs doesn't seem worth it.
Does it look better, of course. But Control having more realistic floor reflections doesn't exactly seem like a game changer to me.

This.

I think a lot of the hype around it is founded more in the novelty of the underlying technology and it now being possible in realtime rendering than the actual real-life results.

The only RT demo that suitably impressed me so far was the Star Wars one, and that won't even be possible in-game on the next-next-gen of high end PC hardware, much less game consoles.

The problem is that it isn't vague or arbitrary when '4x the simulation' complexity is mentioned in reference to the 4x CPU perf jump and as an opposing argument against 60fps titles. And worse, you don't even mention the possibility of increased simulation complexity with your 60fps option.

If it's not vague then what does "4x simulation complexity" specifically imply to you?

Frankly speaking, I think you're being unnecessarily pedantic and reading too much into it.

"Complexity" itself is an intentionally imprecise and undefined term. So even adding a "4x" qualifier it doesn't change the meaning -- hence why I assumed any reasonable poster reading that would simply interpret it (as intended) to describe "the increased complexity afforded by 4x the CPU".

And the fact that I didn't mention the possibility of increased complexity with 60fps doesn't imply anything. Again you're being needlessly pedantic. I already acknowledged it in an earlier post.

At this point I think it best to just move on from this point of contention, StraightToHell. Perhaps you misinterpreted my comment. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough with how I rendered it originally. At the end of the day, its tangential and immaterial to the wider discussion in the thread, as well as the wider discussion I was having with the other poster about 60fps on next-gen consoles.

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Personally I think it's super early days for RT Support and the floor reflection stuff is basic and RT can be. Metro Exodus used RT in a different way and I think as developers get hold of it via Scarlett and PS5, more interesting uses of the hardware will appear.

Control also does more than shiny floors as well. Realistic light and shadows is a huge part of it. I am waiting for the first big horror game to use it accurately as well.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
This.

I think a lot of the hype around it is founded more in the novelty of the underlying technology and it now being possible in realtime rendering than the actual real-life results.

The only RT demo that suitably impressed me so far was the Star Wars one, and that won't even be possible in-game on the next-next-gen of high end PC hardware, much less game consoles.

I suppose it is one of those things that I am going to have to see implemented, by people far smarter than me, in a way that actually matters gameplay wise. I imagine once I see it used in a meaningful game mechanic my tune can change. I definitely appreciate the technical aspects of it though.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I strongly disagree. The lower input latency of 60fps doesn't benefit every game to the same extent, and the compromises in reining in the developer's vision for the sake of a bit more responsive input don't make sense for many games in many genres.

We don't need arbitrary framerate standards for all games. Far better to let the devs decide where to aportion their perf budget to achieve their own specific vision.

Is not just about low input latency - I and plenty of other people think 60fps simply looks a lot better, especially during fast motion, even if you're not playing the game. We already have arbitrary framerate standards, yours are just different than mine. We don't see devs making their games run at 15-20fps for extra simulation (at least in the vast majority of cases), not even with the cruddy CPUs they're currently stuck with - in fact, we've seen a lot of major franchises go from 30 to 60 when they didn't necessarily need to. And honestly I think it's best to let the player decide where to aportion that perf budget - I would be fine to just have 60fps as a performance mode, but I know they'd still have to design it around 60fps, which sucks.

I just want 60fps to become a console standard in the same way that 30 became one after the fourth and fifth generations where there were a lot of 10-20fps 3D games, and I feel that the mix of amazing current visuals and the massive jump in CPU power that we're going to get makes this the perfect time for it. I know it's almost certainly not going to happen though.

Also, something I just thought of - going from 30 to 60 often doesn't actually mean doubling the framerate. Many times what you're actually doing is taking a 30fps lock that's really more like 30-40fps, and upping that to hit a target of about 50-60fps, which is all that will really be needed when you have a VRR display. So the cost of a 60fps target is actually being a little overblown.

Last edited:

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Truth is devs are mostly like talking .
They do have dev kits , target specs , documentation etc etc
It's to bad we not getting to see anything compare to how it was for XB1 and PS4 before they came out .
Actually devs do have documentation on both systems if they have both devkits. Everything you'd need to know is in them with the obvious *subject to change remark.

So chatter is one thing, but having both documents leaks would be gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.