• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Remember, games only access 4.5 GB of that 8 GB on PS4. Part of the reason Xbox One X had all that extra RAM was to allow Picture-in-Picture with TV....not so much for gaming.

I had read when PS4 was supposed to have 4 GB of GDDR5 only 0.5 GB would have been reserved for the OS. So, for games it would have been 3.5 GB instead of 4.5 GB. There would have been no ability to suspend games and quickly swap between e.g. Netflix and gaming.

Remember PS3 OS only reserved 48 MB of its 512 MB (in two 256 MB pools) and Xbox 360 OS only reserved 32 MB. So, 512 MB was plenty for a functional PS4 OS.

Agree, but that is a big difference in usability and one of the reasons it "may" have been a closer competition. Imagine MS having less graphical prowess, but the ability suspend and resume but PS4 did not as just one example. I could easily see people saying "i'll give up a few blades of grass in "grassgate" to be able to get in and out of games in seconds.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's strange. Not so long ago Sony themselves asked "who wants to play old games?" And their legion on the old place agreed.

Now it seems like a big deal. Not knocking the feature, just curious as to the stance change.
It was always a spin. There's no way they could say that they couldnt do what their competitor does.

In fact, I was very impressed that Shu decided to fess up that the reason why changing your name on the PSN was very difficult, because their database system was shit.

Even now after they managed to do it came with its own bizzare caveats.

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It was always a spin. There's no way they could say that they couldnt do what their competitor does.

In fact, I was very impressed that Shu decided to fess up that the reason why changing your name on the PSN was very difficult, because their database system was shit.

Even now after they managed to do it came with its own bizzare caveats.
Who wants to play old games ranks right up there with rumble is so last generation. It was spin, and now that they have BC for PS4 its important.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
It's strange. Not so long ago Sony themselves asked "who wants to play old games?" And their legion on the old place agreed.

Now it seems like a big deal. Not knocking the feature, just curious as to the stance change.

That interview is still misinterpreted. The Sony representative (Ryan?) specifically talked about Gran Turismo series. It's pretty much the same as saying, who'd want to play PS1/2 versions of FIFA now, instead of the newer and improved sequels.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since Matt and Zhuge are in this thread, can we get a date on the PS5 reveal conference? i dont want to wait until PSX to get a glimpse of next gen games.

Dec 31, 2017
I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, and I bolded the part that was relevent. I was honestly surprised by this which is why I'm asking given the quote:

"I believe the spec target is more to align xCloud and console as a unified offering where games will run the same on both."

Someone else wrote after me that they read it the same way. Phil Spencer has said xCloud is about options and that games will always run better on local hardware. Your sentence "seems" to me to say MS is aligning their specs so things run the SAME on xCloud and Scarlett. If they run the same, then we are aligning to a lesser experience.
For things to run the same on both imo would mean MS is building the best local experience it can do that people who would subscribe to their cloud service would get an equally next gen experience on their phone/tablet, would make the service more enticing.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who wants to play old games ranks right up there with rumble is so last generation. It was spin, and now that they have BC for PS4 its important.
Nah, cross platform for the beginning of the gen is different. This will be such a good thing for both systems.

It's probably the best way to smooth the transition between generations. My only wish is that hopefully this doesnt mean that there wont be an exclusive next gen first party game for some time, and that the importance of cross platform only lasts 2 years, max.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
That interview is still misinterpreted. The Sony representative (Ryan?) specifically talked about Gran Turismo series. It's pretty much the same as saying, who'd want to play PS1/2 versions of FIFA now, instead of the newer and improved sequels.
That's exactly the context it was offered, the actual spin came from people misrepresenting it for their own needs.

Like this.

It's important now because they have a massive active userbase, huge subscriber numbers, and they want to make the transition into another generation as easy as possible for every one of those people to stay with them. It's that simple.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
If both consoles are in fact using HW accelerated RT I don't expect them to half-arse it. There's very little point in adding RT capabilities unless you're adding enough of it to make it worth your while.

I don't expect full blown, picture-perfect RT GI of course, but I expect it to be capable of good quality RT in at least 1 or 2 fields of visual RT at any given time (AO, Shadows, GI, Reflections for eg.).

Given AMD's propensity towards fine-grain compute and general purpose, I'm hoping their solution is flexible in its capabilities.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
IMO BC in itself isn't that important throughout the gen, but at the start, through the transition, well yeah it's massively important as it makes it easier to make the all important decisions. If xb1 had proper BC with 360 from day one, it'd have been a massive boost at an important time.
ninja Gaiden black and ninja Gaiden 2 4k@60 tho
a good game is a good game I really love the possibility to play old games from time to time.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
giphy.gif

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
That's exactly the context it was offered, the actual spin came from people misrepresenting it for their own needs.

Like this.

It's important now because they have a massive active userbase, huge subscriber numbers, and they want to make the transition into another generation as easy as possible for every one of those people to stay with them. It's that simple.

Yep, and they've only confirmed backwards compatibility with PS4 so far. Based on that, you still wouldn't be able to play those old PS1/2 Gran Turismos he was talking about. Convenienrly, the gotcha narrative looks past that as well.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The thing is, virtually every single thing a representative of a company will say in an official capacity is "spin" in one way or another. It's literally their job to present their products in the best light possible. Even if it seems like they are being honest about failings, that is usually a calculated choice to make consumers feel like they are open and trustworthy.

That's not intended as an insult to any company representatives. They are just doing their jobs, and ultimately we're all talking about toys here. But anything a company rep says should be treated with a critical eye.

Oct 27, 2017
IMO BC in itself isn't that important throughout the gen, but at the start, through the transition, well yeah it's massively important as it makes it easier to make the all important decisions. If xb1 had proper BC with 360 from day one, it'd have been a massive boost at an important time.

That is a good point. Especially if you are planning on trading your old console but want to keep a couple of games

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019

The funny thing about this is, you guys know for a fact that he was talking about ps1 games. in some sense he is right who would want to play those games in an age like this? When this was being talked about the guy was speaking on himself playing Gran Turismo, and how bad it looked. Ps4 games are not really old either, and the best way to move people from Ps4 to Ps5 would be making sure you at least have BC for ps4 games, so people can carry them over

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The thing is, virtually every single thing a representative of a company will say in an official capacity is "spin" in one way or another. It's literally their job to present their products in the best light possible. Even if it seems like they are being honest about failings, that is usually a calculated choice to make consumers feel like they are open and trustworthy.

That's not intended as an insult to any company representatives. They are just doing their jobs, and ultimately we're all talking about toys here. But anything a company rep says should be treated with a critical eye.

100% agree, but I'm sure you can agree that some spin feels worse than others and that there are cases where saying nothing at all is better than bad spin. MS saying "we have a console for people who cant be online, its called the 360" or Sony saying they are "looking out for the children" when not allowing cross play. It's all salesmanship, but it doesnt always have to feel dirty..... at least in my opinion.

edit for clarity

kungfuian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Microsoft switching from a 2 SKU to 1 SKU strategy is somewhat reminiscent of them switching from a media box to a game focused box last gen. Of course them changing their plan this early is much much better than changing year 2 but it doesn't exactly Inspire confidence in there ability to Envision and enact on their platform plans. This kind of shift is not a small thing and compared to Sony's very clear and focused approach Microsofts position in the market is reflective of their ability to execute on clearly established plans.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
All I'm going to say as someone who has been reading this thread as a Silent in looker is that there are a subset of Xbox fans who are absolutely insufferable and, as a result, habitually run folks with any modicum of insight off of these forums when they say something they don't like. It's happened in sales threads and it's happened in HW speculation threads. Y'all know who you are. Stop this nonsense. Stop taking every single thing that you don't like as some sort of affront to your personal self worth. Grow the hell up.

And before y'all both sides this comment I'm well aware there are folks who are obnoxious in all fandoms but from what I have seen here on this forum only a select few have been so infuriatingly immature and petty to drive people away and then turn around and literally celebrate it.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Last edited:

Pixis

Oct 31, 2017
Utter nonsense doesn't even begin to adequately describe that Colt video (not because it supposes that Scarlett might be more powerful, which is entirely possible) but because it presents this as 'objective' fact by assumptions that are so fundamentally wrong or unlikely that it is pure wishful thinking. Or just ignorant fanboyism. Pick your poison.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
100% agree, but I'm sure you can agree that some spin feels worse than others and that there are cases where saying nothing at all is better than bad spin. MS saying "we have a console for people who cant be online, its called the 360" or Sony saying they are "looking out for the children" when not allowing cross play. It's all salesmanship, but it doesnt always have to feel dirty..... at least in my opinion.

edit for clarity
Oh of course. Just like anything, there are people and companies that are better and worse at "spinning."

It's just always good to keep in mind that these reps aren't your friends, and don't have your interests at heart.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Pheonix
Rizla+

Long story short: MS made decisions on wrong assumptions about the availability of certain technology and got unlucky with some other decisions too. Besides of that, it is a thing of the past and I don't know how this affects next gen.
Yh, I think this all started due to someone saying something about either of these companies making engineering mistakes and used the OG XB1 and PS4pro as examples. And the person was saying something to the effect of hoping it doesn't happen again with the next gen consoles. I was just trying to point out that what most may refer to as engineering "mistakes" (XB1 using DDR3 or PS4pro not being higher than 4TF and loud) were not mistakes at all. And were actually a reflection of these companies doing the best with what they had ad to meet their targets so in effect people shouldn't worry about next-gen consoles to that effect.

Almost.

The part that is getting missed is the XBO was envisioned as a multimedia focused box with Kinect, and to execute on that vision it was decided up front that it needed 8 GB of RAM. The only way to have 8 GB of RAM at a reasonable price, it was thought, was to use DDR. So the rest of the system was designed around 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, and the ESRAM and fewer compute units was the result.

Sony on the other hand focused their attention on what they thought would be better for playing games, which is why they went with GDDR from the start. The lucky and unexpected drop in GDDR pricing let them then double the RAM they were going to include, but it was far too late for MS to make that kind of basic change to the system design.

So, yeah. The reason XBO was weaker than the PS4 does really come down to multimedia and Kinect.

While I can see the logic in that school of thought, I tend to disagree. I will not say there isn't some truth to it at all, yes; XB1 was designed as a media center and having as much RAM as possible was paramount to that target, however, I lot leaves to be said when you consider that the PS4 ended up with a RAM reserve equivalent to the XB1. Maybe my perspective is skewed somewhat though because I have seen android TV boxes with 3GB of RAM whose general versatility runs circles around either the XB1/PS4. Whatever the case though, the XB1 was not an engineering mistake.

Anyways, I'm gonna drop this lol.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, and I bolded the part that was relevent. I was honestly surprised by this which is why I'm asking given the quote:

"I believe the spec target is more to align xCloud and console as a unified offering where games will run the same on both."

Someone else wrote after me that they read it the same way. Phil Spencer has said xCloud is about options and that games will always run better on local hardware. Your sentence "seems" to me to say MS is aligning their specs so things run the SAME on xCloud and Scarlett. If they run the same, then we are aligning to a lesser experience.
When Phil said that he was referring to the current xCloud offering in testing, which is based on Xbox One S hardware. So of course a game is going to play locally better on an Xbox One X. Phil also said, very clearly, that "Project Scarlett and all of its power and all of its performance is the foundation of our future in console and the formation of our future in cloud." So, aligning the hardware in both the datacenter and what's under your TV means xCloud is about to get far more powerful. It now depends how long it takes Microsoft to move from Xbox One S hardware to Scarlett hardware in its datacenters, and that will probably depend on how fast Google moves with Stadia etc.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

Some selected quotes...

"To secure the benchmark in console gaming, Microsoft has to take a 2 point approach, by getting the maximum power in an APU, semi-custom chipset, while targetting a marketable price of around $500. While Sony may be targetting first price, and then performance at around $400."

roofles...

"... But with the expertise hive-collection of Microsoft's engineers, the Xbox Project Scarlett can go the extra mile and that's where the words 'most immerssive' come into play."

roofles...x2

"Maybe on paper, the graphics engine looks more powerful in the PS5; but the Xbox Scarlett is faster, and better suited to handle better physics, AI, and visual upgrades that make a massive upgrade over pixelcounts."

roofles...x3 ... wut?!

"But it isn't likely that the PS5 has bigger or better specs, unless Sony plans to sell their next console at $500 as well."

But you just said.....

Ahhh nvm!

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Oh of course. Just like anything, there are people and companies that are better and worse at "spinning."

It's just always good to keep in mind that these reps aren't your friends, and don't have your interests at heart.

Matt,do you think there will be some big event (PSX/PS Meeting/whatever) later this year for 25th PS anniversary or we shouldn't expect anything from them till 2020?
MS already announced X019 in London in November.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
You've gotta be creative when asking questions.

Like...

Matt, do you think Reiner has really good sources?

Probably won't answer that. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.