• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
So i guess small PS5 reveal in Q1 2020 and big one around June 2020?

My guess is a February or March PlayStation Meeting announcement with Mark Cerny presenting the philosophy behind the PS5, specs, the controller, demos/first games. Then E3 2020 blowout, PS5's industrial design, more games, release date, price.

Much like 2013 with PS4.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
How is the PS5 still rumoured to be stronger, despite MS focusing only on one SKU?
Shouldn't all resources have been going solely into Anaconda since then?

On the contrary, MS now focussing "only" on one SKU is the reason why Anaconda will not be significantly (!) faster than the PS5.

With a two SKU strategy MS could have gone the extra mile by placing Anaconda one step above Sony's PS5 in order to deliver the clear performance leader. With a one SKU strategy you simply cannot go "all out" with a premium SKU since price is king for the majority of the market. So, the old Anaconda could have become a $599 monster - thanks to Lockhart taking care of price sensitive segments - but the new one definitely not.

From this perspective the "Scarlet = Anaconda" message is kinda wrong. Yes, it was the entry-level SKU which was axed and yes, MS is now fully focused on the remaining SKU, but the very next question MS had to answer once they made that decision is: "How do we build a console that is both attractive for early adopters but not priced above our competitor's product. And if so, what will be its major proposition?"
In case of the 2-SKU-Anaconda the answer was simple: Clear performance leadership. Having the best product for premium customer segments. Offered for a premium price.

Now this has officialy (!) changed since Booty himself announcend that "Speed isn't important nowadays". I'm not sure, however, how the new mix out of performance & price will look like. For all I know they could go for a price strategy. But I don't think so. I believe MS will try to deliver an equal product to Sony's PS5 both in terms of performance & price. Instead they'll push services like GamePass to differentiate themselves from Sony. Everything I saw at E3 points to that.

I for one think that all this led to a certain downgrade from whatever MS had in mind with Anaconda back then when Lockhart was still a thing. Maybe not a big one but one big enough to make people with access to both devkits believe that Sony is in the lead at the current state of things.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think it did accomplish something. Both Matt and ZhugeEx's additional confirmation on top of what Brad Sams reported helped to solidify this piece of news. If it were just Brad Sams I'm sure we'd be getting a bunch of people who would say, "maybe his sources don't know" or something like that. Getting independent verification from two other respected sources is very useful and they helped us to understand it wasn't a very recent decision.

Just to add. Brad absolutely has access to a lot of information and has a lot of insights on MS. What was posted last year is something that was 100% real. That's not in question at all.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
More powerful this more powerful that.
You guys know there is so these console can reach right?

Say Under 12tf and above 10tf, That's what people are fighting over? 1-2 TF difference? What's that gonna do in the big picture? Lol

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Why do a ps meeting if you have PSX now?

PSX and PS Meeting sort of have different aims, though? Like, PSX is a fan thing, and PS Meeting is more business/press-focused. PSX is more hype reels, PS Meeting is more slide decks. The next PlayStation launch will probably be a slide-deck sort of thing. They usually have that sort of presentation first, before going into hype-reel mode at E3.

PSX is more of a hands-on type of event that is open to the public. It's unlikely that the next PS would be playable at whichever event it was launched at.

They revealed PS4 Pro at a PS Meeting, even though it was within the era of PSX.

There isn't even a guarantee that there is going to be a PSX this year, and if there is I suspect it will be focused on The Last of Us 2, Ghosts of Tsushima, and FFVIIR and the like. Products that people will actually be able to play.

I mean just replace ps meeting with psx. No need for it when you got that huge event now

I think they would choose to unveil the next PS at a PS Meeting precisely because it would be a smaller, more focused event.

Feb 26, 2018
PSX and PS Meeting sort of have different aims, though? Like, PSX is a fan thing, and PS Meeting is more business/press-focused. PSX is more hype reels, PS Meeting is more slide decks. The next PlayStation launch will probably be a slide-deck sort of thing.

PSX is more of a hands-on type of event that is open to the public. It's unlikely that the next PS would be playable at whichever event it was launched at.

They revealed PS4 Pro at a PS Meeting, even though it was within the era of PSX.

There isn't even a guarantee that there is going to be a PSX this year, and if there is I suspect it will be focused on The Last of Us 2, Ghosts of Tsushima, and FFVIIR and the like. Products that people will actually be able to play.

I think they would choose to unveil the next PS at a PS Meeting precisely because it would be a smaller, more focused event.
Okay. Makes sense.
But judging by Sony skipping e3 they probably cutting on the amount of conferences they are doing so I wont be surprised if they just dont do PSX at all and just go with the PS Meeting only
And Tlou2, Ghost and other ps4 games will just get a StateOfPlay stream

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I wont be surprised if they just dont do PSX at all and just go with the PS Meeting only
And Tlou2, Ghost and other ps4 games will just get a StateOfPlay stream

That's what I suspect as well. There's a not insignificant cost associated with putting on a public event like PSX.

We already had the date and location for PSX 2017 by this point in that year, but this year so far Sony's been mum.

Still, this December does mark the 25th anniversary of PlayStation, so maybe they will do something.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Different genres, people tend to be less forgiving in shooters
Go ask the average player if they would trade the big boss fights of GOW for 60fps
Or if they would take simplier set pieces in uncharted
Or a less detailed world in witcher

And the list can go on

We can have best of both worlds in this generation if things are balanced right....

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Since I was tagged in this thread.

1. A while means last year. There is a reason I never really commented much, if at all, on those rumors.
2. MS next gen plans are strong and still on track, I wouldn't read too much into the news.
3. Given I've seen some confusion around it. Klobrille isn't verified on Era. Although they are free to send a PM to myself if they want to be.

When you say strong plans, you also mean games correct?

Their lack of games into next generation in the first 2-3 years is what I'm afraid.. Can't commit to a platform which I'm not sure about.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
My guess is a February or March PlayStation Meeting announcement with Mark Cerny presenting the philosophy behind the PS5, specs, the controller, demos/first games. Then E3 2020 blowout, PS5's industrial design, more games, release date, price.

Much like 2013 with PS4.
Can't wait for hopefully Mark Cerny 2 hours PS5 talk. I just love hearing this guy talks passionatelly about what he does

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
Just to add. Brad absolutely has access to a lot of information and has a lot of insights on MS. What was posted last year is something that was 100% real. That's not in question at all.
Second this, but I believe the information was a little out of date. Plans change frequently.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
Can you comment on the cancelation of Lockhart having any effect on the price point or target spec of Anaconda?
No idea on price points, and those will fluctuate for months until parts are fully sourced and are being assembled at Pegatron. I believe the spec target is more to align xCloud and console as a unified offering where games will run the same on both.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
More powerful this more powerful that.
You guys know there is so these console can reach right?

Say Under 12tf and above 10tf, That's what people are fighting over? 1-2 TF difference? What's that gonna do in the big picture? Lol

That all remains to be seen, although I can't imagine that it's much more than that. What difference was it between X and Pro with TF?

Oct 25, 2017
Matt has been derided by fanboys, especially Xbox fanboys, on this site and the last for some time. Why would he willingly put information out there, without prompt, that puts him toe to toe with the Xbox communities beloved insiders?

So the vitriol can be expressed at him even more so? He has nothing to prove. Everyone reasonable knows his track record.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Haha holly s... you know when new generation is upon us ..meltdown ratio per post is going up exponentially

It was like WW1 on the old site when the xbox1 was announced, there was a thread that was more like a trench where people stayed until they were ready to get slaughtered and banned, i can't see this gen getting anywhere near that madness, but this anger over a phantom xbox is making me wonder.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
No idea on price points, and those will fluctuate for months until parts are fully sourced and are being assembled at Pegatron. I believe the spec target is more to align xCloud and console as a unified offering where games will run the same on both.

That makes sense when you see this tweet by Rachel Card, Scarlett PM, about the reveal.

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
How doesn't it make sense? Please, tell me.

Because the way I see it, Xbox One X is actually a pretty good example of Microsoft "pushing the Xbox brand upmarket as a premium product for the most demanding users." It's more expensive than the PS4 Pro, by design.

I still have no idea what you're trying to say.
If Microsoft has the better box, it's because they're able and willing to push the Xbox brand upmarket as a premium product for the most demanding users, while Sony more or less has to go for volume as the market leader. It doesn't have anything to do with Sony not being able to afford the good parts from AMD, or anything.
I don't understand your point about volume or being a leader in sales; Sony sold the Pro targeting a premium market. That isn't nullified because Microsoft then, in turn, releases a better box. Additionally, the X costs $100 more than the Pro, but both boxes targeted a benchmark of 4k gaming yet only the X consistently hits that performance. Whether Sony is literally capable of affording to match Microsoft's investment into console hardware is irrelevant if they "choose" not to. Referencing my initial point, if Microsoft wants the most powerful console, they'll make it happen. Coming to me and saying that Sony totally could do it too when all it takes is looking at how they half-assed the Pro and unequivocally couldn't do it isn't an argument. Don't @ me with this weak bs where you need to pull out peripheral reasons X, Y and Z as justification for why they don't have the most powerful console and potentially won't next generation.

electric_hoax

Oct 27, 2017
It was like WW1 on the old site when the xbox1 was announced, there was a thread that was more like a trench where people stayed until they were ready to get slaughtered and banned, i can't see this gen getting anywhere near that madness, but this anger over a phantom xbox is making me wonder.

Yeah.. don't know why but hadcore Xbox fans tend to loose it very quick. Whole year ps faitfulls had to listen how anaconda is a monster and ps5 is below in terms of power and I haven't seen meltdowns. Now.. one tweet from journo.. and the hell break loose.. RIP thetruthofkyle

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
User Banned (1 day): Misinformation about a member of the forum
Matt has been derided by fanboys, especially Xbox fanboys, on this site and the last for some time. Why would he willingly put information out there, without prompt, that puts him toe to toe with the Xbox communities beloved insiders?

So the vitriol can be expressed at him even more so? He has nothing to prove. Everyone reasonable knows his track record.

His track record is far from perfect though.

In 2017 he said that Xbox wouldn't have any extra funding, that we should expect things to be the status quo like they were just let the ship slowly sink. This lead to another false claim:

That in that year Ms was making no new partnership with 3rd parties (something that Phil debunked a few months later saying that they did signed some stuff in 2017, but haven't show yet) I even remember calling him out on that one because there was no possible way he could've know that. This also led to the false claim that:

Playground's action rpg game wouldn't be published by Ms. Then a few months ago all the reports showed that Ms was behind the growth of the second studio and even when they were bought all the interviews they made say Ms was in for their 2nd game right from the start.

And I also remember a few days later from his claim Gobo studio announced a partnership with Ms. Turned out to be a turd f2p forza mobile game, but still was a new partnership when he said there wasn't none.

He also hinted a lot that Halo Wars 2 bombed, only to have a few months later that the game was actually very successfully digitally, something that also disproves another claim he made a lot on the old forum:

That he had sales data for win store and that they were so abysmal that Ms was spinning data as hard as they could regarding some mildly impressive PC users engagement (IIRC that the first play anywhere releases were seeing 30% of sales and user engagement on Pc)

-----

My point with all that? We should never take a insider's opinion as gospel, just because we don't know the extent of what they know or how up to date that info is. Because even with a pretty good track record there will be some missed stuff. That's one thing I like how Klobrille handles his leaks at least. He always explains the extent of how he got this info, so you know that the possibility exists but may not come from fruition. I wish more insiders were like that instead of trying to paint as they are the ones to know it all.

If he indeed knew Lockhart was canceled a whole 6 months or more ago good for his sources, thought I think there was some reports that Ms talked about Lockhart at gdc this year? ( Genuine question I don't remember if they were supposed to talk, or if they had talked about it).

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As somebody who hasn't followed gaming for a while.. are there going to be significant technological and graphical jumps from last generation? Or do we not have enough info yet?

Oct 25, 2017
His track record is far from perfect though.

In 2017 he said that Xbox wouldn't have any extra funding, that we should expect things to be the status quo like they were just let the ship slowly sink. This lead to another false claim:

That in that year Ms was making no new partnership with 3rd parties (something that Phil debunked a few months later saying that they did signed some stuff in 2017, but haven't show yet) I even remember calling him out on that one because there was no possible way he could've know that. This also led to the false claim that:

Playground's action rpg game wouldn't be published by Ms. Then a few months ago all the reports showed that Ms was behind the growth of the second studio and even when they were bought all the interviews they made say Ms was in for their 2nd game right from the start.

And I also remember a few days later from his claim Gobo studio announced a partnership with Ms. Turned out to be a turd f2p forza mobile game, but still was a new partnership when he said there wasn't none.

He also hinted a lot that Halo Wars 2 bombed, only to have a few months later that the game was actually very successfully digitally, something that also disproves another claim he made a lot on the old forum:

That he had sales data for win store and that they were so abysmal that Ms was spinning data as hard as they could regarding some mildly impressive PC users engagement (IIRC that the first play anywhere releases were seeing 30% of sales and user engagement on Pc)

-----

My point with all that? We should never take a insider's opinion as gospel, just because we don't know the extent of what they know or how up to date that info is. Because even with a pretty good track record there will be some missed stuff. That's one thing I like how Klobrille handles his leaks at least. He always explains the extent of how he got this info, so you know that the possibility exists but may not come from fruition. I wish more insiders were like that instead of trying to paint as they are the ones to know it all.

If he indeed knew Lockhart was canceled a whole 6 months or more ago good for his sources, thought I think there was some reports that Ms talked about Lockhart at gdc this year? ( Genuine question I don't remember if they were supposed to talk, or if they had talked about it).

Because some of your claims are dubious at best. E.g. Halo Wars 2, which didn't do so well.

But that is not a surprise, you've often time and time shown that your understanding of videogame sales isn't strong, especially when it comes to Xbox and Japanese titles.

Edit: And some of this, Matt hasn't even said lol.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand your point about volume or being a leader in sales; Sony sold the Pro targeting a premium market. That isn't nullified because Microsoft then, in turn, releases a better box. Additionally, the X costs $100 more than the Pro, but both boxes targeted a benchmark of 4k gaming yet only the X consistently hits that performance. Whether Sony is literally capable of affording to match Microsoft's investment into console hardware is irrelevant if they "choose" not to. Referencing my initial point, if Microsoft wants the most powerful console, they'll make it happen. Coming to me and saying that Sony totally could do it too when all it takes is looking at how they half-assed the Pro and unequivocally couldn't do it isn't an argument. Don't @ me with this weak bs where you need to pull out peripheral reasons X, Y and Z as justification for why they don't have the most powerful console and potentially won't next generation.
Sony and MS had different year goals. That is the big difference.

The next gen consoles will be releasing in the same year. For all intents and purposes, they will be identical in power.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As somebody who hasn't followed gaming for a while.. are there going to be significant technological and graphical jumps from last generation? Or do we not have enough info yet?
SSD in consoles will be a game changer in itself.

Also, new CPU will also be massive, since we have been shackled to Jaguar CPUs for what feels like decades now. Will be great to have consoles not hamstrung by poor notebook CPUs.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sony and MS had different year goals. That is the big difference.

The next gen consoles will be releasing in the same year. For all intents and purposes, they will be identical in power.

That's my thought on it. They are coming out at a similar time utilising a similar toolset of technology.
No doubt there will be some customisations here and there, but they are working within a development industry that will be telling them the same thing and their cost and price aspirations will be broadly the same.

Outside of Kinect having an impact on what Microsoft chose to do the Xbox One and PS4 weren't hugely different in regards to the core components that make them what they are.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
I am glad Microsoft is scrapping Lockhart, a lot of posters here said it was a bad idea and it indeed was, a new baseline is essential for next-gen. And shouldn't Lockhart getting scrapped last year be good news because of that then Microsoft would have had ample time to get Anaconda(now Scarlett) right?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

With the new consoles, I think Microsoft has the opportunity to target a higher price point than Sony, because they're not the market leader and thus can choose to segment the market and only address parts of it. But you only have the freedom to do that when you're not already selling consoles to everybody. Put simply, Microsoft can sell 50 million Scarletts and have that be a success, whereas for Sony 50 million PS5s would be an abject failure. Sony more or less has to make the volume play, with the PS5.

That's not "weak bs," it's called business.

I think if Sony targeted the PS4 Pro for a late 2017 release at $499, it would probably have very similar specs to the One X. Microsoft isn't magic. The idea that Sony was somehow institutionally incapable of releasing a console like the One X is ridiculous. They targeted a different year and a different price bracket, of course their console was different.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
SSD in consoles will be a game changer in itself.

Yeah that should be good. I'm still not convinced that the improvements are coming solely from an SSD drive.
In fact the double SSD comment in the Scarlett video still makes me think that we are looking at some kind of high bandwidth onboard memory and perhaps a commodity drive attached to provide bulk storage.

And for the PS5 the results shown kind of suggest these improvements can't simply come from even a high end drive on a newer interface.

When you consider that Sony have traditionally offered a replaceable drive and both manufacturers themselves are going to want the option to increase value proposition over time with increased storage volume. Something that becomes far harder if you've got to use any kind of proprietary drives that are soldered down.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I think Microsoft will be more willing to target a higher price point than Sony, because they're not the market leader and thus can choose to segment the market and only address parts of it. But you only have the freedom to do that when you're not already selling consoles to everybody. Put simply, Microsoft can sell 50 million Scarletts and have that be a success, whereas for Sony 50 million PS5s would be an abject failure.

That's not "weak bs," it's called business.

I think if Sony targeted the PS4 Pro for a late 2017 release at $499, it would probably have very similar specs to the One X. Microsoft isn't magic. The idea that Sony was somehow institutionally incapable of releasing a console like the One X is ridiculous. They targeted a different year and a different price bracket, of course their console was different.

Your math did not work. They did not sell 50 millions consoles at 499 dollars, same for Sony. They will sell much less console if they launch too high or the console will be very different than the current one.

Status
Not open for further replies.