• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being so full of shit with a crappy track record (especially if you consider all the off-site shit they spew) and then calling out someone as a pretender who rarely gets anything wrong if at all. Imagine that.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
To be fair I think the word was meant to be present? Rather than pretend? English not being Klobrille's native language?

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It's also a reasonable assumption to suggest they're just going with one of the specs they planned all along
Sure, but I think the assumption is (at least from my part) that the Anaconda would have been a distinctly premium, and thus much more expensive console. It could still be that, or they could keep the same specs, but lower the price by a hundred bucks or whatever, but I believe those options are less likely.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
The system they will put out under a one SKU strategy is unlikely to be the same one they would release under a two SKU strategy.

But they have had a while to think about it already.

This is disheartening....

Really thought axing Lockhart would cause them to go balls out with Anaconda and throw it all into that.

Hopefully this is still the case somehow.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I'm definitely not calling him a "liar" nor was this my intention. I replaced it with "like you said", if the semantics are a problem. The question remains.

Semantics are always a concern. Its the difference between doubt and accusation, which is similar in foundation but worlds apart in feeling.

Also, it's basic civility - which is easily lost on forums/twitter/etc.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The three differences between anaconda and lockhart: less powerful gpu, smaller ram, and lower storage, i beleive it had the same cpu.

I dont think this impacts Anaconda in really any negative way at all.
i remember you saying in march that MS was aiming to match Sony on the price and performance with the Anaconda version. to me, that would indicate a $499 console. Not a $599 console that can be downgraded to a $499 console by changing to a much cheaper APU or less ram/ssd etc.

i guess my question to you is if you ever heard MS wanting to go over the $499 price tag. or was matching sony always the plan?

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
User Banned (1 day): Off-Site Drama; Antagonizing Another User and a Previous Warning for Similar Behavior
I see Statham took his ban in stride 👀
Mod Edit: Removed Off-Site Drama

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
It seems clear to me even from the limited angle that, first, there's no RAM chips on the far side of the APU package (top of the overheard shot). And second, there's also not one in the corner position closest to the camera. Because we don't see anything outside the red area, we can't 100% rule out other setup. But I'm unaware of any such layout like this that's highly asymmetric, so the above seems to be very most likely.

Note that the RAM chips labeled in yellow are definite, as we can see their part numbers. Those labeled in white are assuming symmetry. The question marks are where there's nothing to directly suggest 1GB or 2GB size.
Yeah after thinking a little bit more about it, I figured that out, too.
And with the new development regarding the 2 SKU strategy it makes even more sense.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is disheartening....

Really thought axing Lockhart would cause them to go balls out with Anaconda and throw it all into that.

Hopefully this is still the case somehow.
on the contrary. with lockheart gone, their sandwich strategy (having a less expensive AND more expensive console than the ps5) no longer makes sense. now they HAVE to match sony on the price and do their best to match on the performance.

think about it, how can they or Sony for that matter, go with a bigger and better APU AND more RAM or more RT hardware without breaking the bank? both of them are essentially going with the same exact parts with the only exception being the type of ram.

I see Statham took his ban in stride 👀
Mod Edit: Removed Off-Site Drama

lol im dying here. surely this might get him perma'd here no? whats happening in this thread today. its only a random thursday lol.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
on the contrary. with lockheart gone, their sandwich strategy (having a less expensive AND more expensive console than the ps5) no longer makes sense. now they HAVE to match sony on the price and do their best to match on the performance.

think about it, how can they or Sony for that matter, go with a bigger and better APU AND more RAM or more RT hardware without breaking the bank? both of them are essentially going with the same exact parts with the only exception being the type of ram.

Yeah I actually think these consoles might be the most similar we've seen yet....in components, price, etc.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Absolutely fair.

So here I am, asking you. I'm honestly just curious. Why not debunk the info a whole community is sitting on for basically 6+ months (I think Windowscentral / The Verge published the two SKU info first in Dec) if you knew it for so long already as you pretend - and only doing so coincidentally the day an article by an reputable source is being published on it? I mean Brad is pretty much on-point with his info all the time (minus dynamic changes that can always happen in the industry), I don't know why it even requires any further confirmation.
Just yesterday, on this very thread I stated that it seems like plans change a lot when it comes to gaming. PS4 RAM doubling, Xbox One clocks going up, Microsoft choosing to change plans and have Project Scorpio launch a year later, the Xbox 360 going from 256MB RAM to 512MB, Sony choosing a different setup for the PS3 GPU. And you could go even further out to a time when Sony was looking to work with Nintendo on a console in a deal that cratered, that allowed Sony to come in and dominate gaming as a singular company.

This one thread is one of the most emotional I have seen on this site (there are some that rival it), but there isn't another thread where so much is often taken way off context.

I personally never thought that we would get to a position where we are arguing not about whether information was right or wrong, but whether it was relevant when it was posted.
Semantics are always a concern. Its the difference between doubt and accusation, which is similar in foundation but worlds apart in feeling.

Also, it's basic civility - which is easily lost on forums/twitter/etc.
No one is even debating that what he posted was right or wrong, but the timeline in which it was posted. It is a bad look.
I honestly do not mind some of the insider information we get that pans out at a time when there is so much fake stuff rolling around. If we start calling out people for misinformation when these things can take time to confirm, or people can choose different times when to share, or simply find out things later.....then it becomes a dick wagging contest on who knew what and when.

Last edited:

bdsams

Executive Editor of Petri.com and Thurrott.com
Verified
Apr 23, 2019
i remember you saying in march that MS was aiming to match Sony on the price and performance with the Anaconda version. to me, that would indicate a $499 console. Not a $599 console that can be downgraded to a $499 console by changing to a much cheaper APU or less ram/ssd etc.

i guess my question to you is if you ever heard MS wanting to go over the $499 price tag. or was matching sony always the plan?

What is Microsoft trying to do? Match Sony on price and beat them on performance.

I would be surprised if either Sony or Microsoft knows what they will price their consoles at, do they have target price points? Yes. But they dont have a final BOM from AMD/partners yet to know what it will cost to build this these consoles.

It's still the very early days of actually building hardware, lots will change between know and fall of 2020.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
But they dont have a final BOM from AMD/partners yet to know what it will cost to build this these consoles.
At this point, they've got a good idea of the expected BOM... A year and change out, they're already planning on the production line.

Production, packaging, shipping, takes months.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Lol im dying here. surely this might get him perma'd here no? whats happening in this thread today. its only a random thursday lol.

Why would it? It was in poor taste, sure, but I was under the impression that we aren't even allowed to post user's Tweets in the first place. Of course that may have been a rule at the old house instead, kind of hard to remember really.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
The system they will put out under a one SKU strategy is unlikely to be the same one they would release under a two SKU strategy.

But they have had a while to think about it already.

Is this why the lead architect for Scarlet left for Intel? Probably didn't want his work to be thrown out and patched just to catch up to Sony - 2 generations in a row!

bdsams

Executive Editor of Petri.com and Thurrott.com
Verified
Apr 23, 2019
At this point, they've got a good idea of the expected BOM... A year and change out, they're already planning on the production line.

Production, packaging, shipping, takes months.

~6 months of Surface hardware, would expect the same for Xbox.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
It's still the very early days of actually building hardware, lots will change between know and fall of 2020.

Hmm. SoC silicon is probably locked, memory type if not quantity is likely to be locked, storage solution the same.

Assuming a November launch, manufacturing testing will be around March to May with production starting around July/August.

So we're talking 6 to 9 months for 'lots to change'.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...seriously?

You're obviously not interested in an actual discussion, and frankly I'm not interested in answering the questions of someone that's insulting me in an attempt to paper over their own mistakes.
I'm not insulting you but I'm am curious for the answer to that question? Why not debunk it though?

Oct 25, 2017
Side note: I hope people hold Xbox division accountable if any game is not 4K60fps on Snek.

giphy.gif

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Phil has been clear about this during their E3 conference (that behind the scenes dev talk). I think VRR will come into play but they have very clearly stated that the next gen standard is 4K60fps. Even Brad Sams second to last video, covered earlier heavily emphasized that aspect when he drew comparison to performances available on PC.

Personally, I really dislike PR pushing BS regardless of what company. If Sony comes out and says the same thing next year, it would indicate that perhaps it is going to be the standard across the board.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
This is first class entertainment.

Seriously.

People need to behave with civility and treat others with respect.

It is only consoles that we are discussing.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Wait. A mod insider knew it all along? Then what was the point of the last 6 months. Could have saved people from wasting so much time the last 6 months.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Phil has been clear about this during their E3 conference (that behind the scenes dev talk). I think VRR will come into play but they have very clearly stated that the next gen standard is 4K60fps. Even Brad Sams second to last video, covered earlier heavily emphasized that aspect when he drew comparison to performances available on PC.

Personally, I really dislike PR pushing BS regardless of what company. If Sony comes out and says the same thing next year, it would indicate that perhaps it is going to be the standard across the board.

Oh. Well I'm sure you'll have no shortage of people willing to call them out regardless of what they do. I don't recall Phil promising that every 1stP game would be 4k/60 but I also don't care enough to click a link if provided, let alone go looking for it. Thanks for the follow up though!

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, they said it. "Power and performance you can see and feel....", "Frame rates and resolution like we have never seen before...". Feel free to drink their koolaid or not, I think skepticism has its virtue.

Sony did the same thing with PS3 back in the day with very special math from nVidia claiming 2TF among other things.

You mean like " The only thing you gonna hear is 1080/60 on PS4? Or 4K gaming on pro and X? Hold them accountable? LMAO.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. A mod insider knew it all along? Then what was the point of the last 6 months. Could have saved people from wasting so much time the last 6 months.
That could apply to a lot of stuff though. Think of all the video game speculation. Do you think it would be reasonable to expect them to clear up everything just because they know about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.