• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
One Sku...now we can put to bed the constant assertions that the next Xbox is guaranteed to be more powerful than PS5, without credible evidene. I mean if they are the same price, which they are likely to be, they will be very much in the same ballpark.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa.

I leave for two hours and forty nine minutes and this thread get exciting. Of course lol. Also, I'm working on the anaconda gif. Not sure if I will be able to do a good job though.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Unsurprisingly I have no comment on any possible future hardware platforms. However in the abstract I will say that we are shipping DXR support and variable rate shading for Modern Warfare this year and you can expect to hear and see more about that in the coming months. And knowing Michal you can expect to see a bunch of publications about it after the game is out the door.
Thanks! Obviously we're greedy for any info we can get, but I understand professional responsibilities. I hope your years ahead are full of challenges (the good kind).

I am not too well versed about APU designs, but would DDR4 chips also be on the area as the gddr6, or would it be somewhere else? What i mean to ask is, does this still leave a chance of ddr4 being used?
I don't know. The DDR3 used to offload some OS tasks in PS4 Pro is not under the main thermal package with the GDDR5; it's a little ways away on the board. So that would be outside the shot of Scarlett we have. But on the other hand, it's only 1GB and not the only memory used for the OS. Could the entire OS allocation be elsewhere? That's just way beyond my knowledge level.

I would like to know what side you see as 4 dies and what sides as 3?
I assume you think this because some sides go into the corner of the other.

However I thought about a different option.
A 4-3-4 configuration. So a 384bit bus, but with 1 deactivated 32 bus due to yield like the RTX 2080TI is doing for example.
You think that's a possibility, too?
Here's an overhead view corresponding to what I think we're seeing in the video.

anaoverheadsejik.jpg

It seems clear to me even from the limited angle that, first, there's no RAM chips on the far side of the APU package (top of the overheard shot). And second, there's also not one in the corner position closest to the camera. Because we don't see anything outside the red area, we can't 100% rule out other setup. But I'm unaware of any such layout like this that's highly asymmetric, so the above seems to be very most likely.

Note that the RAM chips labeled in yellow are definite, as we can see their part numbers. Those labeled in white are assuming symmetry. The question marks are where there's nothing to directly suggest 1GB or 2GB size.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Man, some of the posts paint a mental picture of Xbox just flailing around.

The reality for any project of this scale is that there are always a lot of course corrections and false starts. Always. To someone who hasn't been directly involved it's going to look a little chaotic; it can be really disconcerting to know too much about how the sausage is made.

It could be just as likely that some of the Lockhart work could contribute to cost savings ideas on the Scarlett now that wouldn't necessarily impact performance in a huge way either. They are the ones doing the work and making decisions along the way, and it isn't in synch with the latest leaks or internet hysteria regarding their plans.

I agree with your broader point here that they're making informed decisions that are almost certainly for the best, and that the work done on Lockhart is still likely a valuable part of the process. I do, however, think there's a good chance that they've chosen to squeeze out some costs to hit a more aggressive price point than they would have at the high end with two SKUs. That's likely to mean a compromise on specs, but chances are it's not material and will help them far more than it hurts.

Oct 25, 2017

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
why the fuck would plans be scaled back, it makes no sense, take off your sony glasses.

If they were following the same strategy as with Xbox One S/X, it would imply that Anaconda was only supposed to get something like 30% volume vs 70% volume for Lockhart. Which means now they have to release a console that is attractive to 100% of potential buyers, and not just 30%. Pretty simple.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Meh, I'd say it's more of a common sense thing than anything else. I said the same thing on the discord: with a two console lineup you can price them quite decently apart and rely on the cheaper console to generate revenue by targeting a wider demographic, but with one console you'll probably want to pare it closer to the middle than you otherwise had to, so that you don't price yourself out of the market.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
this is all well and good, but can anyone verify if these consoles will indeed have the capability to "eat monsters for breakfast"? inquiring minds want to know the number of MEAPs! (Monster Eating Action Power)

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Zhuge has no need or reason to choose to not partake in using his pool of insider information to go "yay or nay" on all the various rumours flying around.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
And you were calling another user out because he used fanboy? oh the irony. He is right, MS is moving to the services thing on all fronts software wise. If they manage to sell some consoles like they do with the surface line, good for them. They just need to put out a console that people consider instead of building a PC. Sony and Nintendo can keep doing what they do.
Nothing you have stated is news to anyone, Sony and nintendo are also doing the same (Ps now, partnering with Azure), moving to services, but hardware is still a huge driver right now, that;'s a fact. People are downplaying it because Phil said it and because Ms is not selling near as many as the competition. Console sales are the biggest driver right now, that's a fact that may change down the road..but as of now that's the reality.

I never debated MS is not moving more to services, not even the point. I was just refuting the "Console sales don;t matter" nonsense some cling to now. They NEED to put out a console because the market dictates what ti wants not MS. If they just went streaming they would be handing Sony an even bigger userbase.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm really sorry that I qualify "I have a reason I can't tell" as a non-answer. I have a bad taste.
For my part, no one asked. Except for the two people that did ask, and I told them.

And I wouldn't be attacking others for not debunking the misinformation you spread. Comes off as very defensive, which you don't need to be. You didn't lie, you don't try to mislead people. You just made a mistake, we all do.

bdsams

Executive Editor of Petri.com and Thurrott.com
Verified
Apr 23, 2019
Much appreciate the response.
Have you heard if Anaconda will be effected by lock being canned? Was the two SKU approach mostly on paper?

The three differences between anaconda and lockhart: less powerful gpu, smaller ram, and lower storage, i beleive it had the same cpu.

I dont think this impacts Anaconda in really any negative way at all.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
For my part, no one asked. Except for the two people that did ask, and I told them.
Absolutely fair.

So here I am, asking you. I'm honestly just curious. Why not debunk the info a whole community is sitting on for basically 6+ months (I think Windowscentral / The Verge published the two SKU info first in Dec) if you knew it for so long already as you said - and only doing so coincidentally the day an article by an reputable source is being published on it? I mean Brad is pretty much on-point with his info all the time (minus dynamic changes that can always happen in the industry), I don't know why it even requires any further confirmation.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, who here even liked the idea of the Lockhart? A weaker next gen console for the casual audience that would've hindered next gen development.

Good riddance i say!
I wouldn't have bought it. But I liked the idea.

I think it's a good strategy to target multiple market segments IF* they could achieve the right price(<=$300) without compromising next-gen game development/performance. Ideally, porting would only require reducing texture resolution, and rendering resolution. But I do imagine it's hard to achieve both of those simultaneously.

I do not subscribe to belief that 4-5TF would have hurt next-gen games at a quarter the resolution.

If the rumor about there being no Next-Gen exclusives on the XBox side in favour of cross-gen is true, then that could be justification for dropping Lockhart, since it likely wouldn't perform better than the X for cross-gen titles.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely fair.

So here I am, asking you. I'm honestly just curious. Why not debunk the info a whole community is sitting on for basically 6+ months (I think Windowscentral / The Verge published the two SKU info first in Dec) if you knew it for so long already as you pretend - and only doing so coincidentally the day an article is being published on it? I mean Brad is pretty much on-point with his info all the time (minus dynamic changes that can always happen in the industry), I don't know why it even requires any further confirmation.

Because no one asked ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Absolutely fair.

So here I am, asking you. I'm honestly just curious. Why not debunk the info a whole community is sitting on for basically 6+ months (I think Windowscentral / The Verge published the two SKU info first in Dec) if you knew it for so long already as you pretend - and only doing so coincidentally the day an article is being published on it?
I don't know if this is his reason, but some people might exercise restraint when they're the sole source of something. There is a difference between breaking news, and confirming news that someone else broke.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Absolutely fair.

So here I am, asking you. I'm honestly just curious. Why not debunk the info a whole community is sitting on for basically 6+ months (I think Windowscentral / The Verge published the two SKU info first in Dec) if you knew it for so long already as you pretend?
...seriously?

You're obviously not interested in an actual discussion, and frankly I'm not interested in answering the questions of someone that's insulting me in an attempt to paper over their own mistakes.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
The three differences between anaconda and lockhart: less powerful gpu, smaller ram, and lower storage, i beleive it had the same cpu.

I dont think this impacts Anaconda in really any negative way at all.
The implication would be that if Lockhart is axed, would this change price point and power target of Anaconda to get a more mainstream machine. Ie 399

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
...seriously?

You're obviously not interested in an actual discussion, and frankly I'm not interested in answering the questions of someone that's insulting me in an attempt to paper over their own mistakes.
Insulting? What? Uhm. Okay? I legitimately asked you the question you asked for in a fair and completely neutral manner.

Rylen

Feb 5, 2019
I had a friend whose mother died of Panela, this isn't funny nor a joke. She was crossing the street and a car came and PA! NELA!
Like I said before: If Lockheart and Anaconda were meant to target the price range of 299-499, then it could stand to reason that a single SKU approach would target the 399 range to target a similar-ish segment of the market. It's not a given, but like I said, it's a reasonable assumption to make given the situation.

It's also a reasonable assumption to suggest they're just going with one of the specs they planned all along

Status
Not open for further replies.