• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nivek

Banned
Apr 24, 2019
Early reports last year was anaconda@12teraflops
Past month we hearing 11.1 teraflops.
So scale back "priced in"?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Since I was tagged in this thread.

1. A while means last year. There is a reason I never really commented much, if at all, on those rumors.
2. MS next gen plans are strong and still on track, I wouldn't read too much into the news.
3. Given I've seen some confusion around it. Klobrille isn't verified on Era. Although they are free to send a PM to myself if they want to be.
Even more reason why I'm so surprised that people took Klobrille seriously since he isn't verified in the slightest.

Oct 25, 2017

1. A while means last year. There is a reason I never really commented much, if at all, on those rumors.
2. MS next gen plans are strong and still on track, I wouldn't read too much into the news.
3. Given I've seen some confusion around it. Klobrille isn't verified on Era. Although they are free to send a PM to myself if they want to be.
Thanks, I was just wondering about #2.

There is a little bit of 🍵 here though. 👀

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018

Thanks for clarifying

What's your take on it bdsams , as you just started to to talk about Anaconda and Lockhart codenames at the end of last year?

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Thuway actually tweeted Colt, roofles thuway, just roofles. I said I wouldn't bring up past shit, but you are doing past shit.

Last edited:

Detective

Oct 27, 2017

I tagged you :D
Thank you for clarifying your statement, much appreciated.

Last edited:

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
I have a question for the more knowledgeable in this thread. Since Xbox One X GPU is clocked at 1.172GHz and PS4 Pro at 911MHz, is there a reason why we expect the next gen consoles to be drastically over these clocks? Wouldn't cranking up the GPU clock to say 1.5GHz generate a ton of heat for a console? I'm wondering if we are not getting our hopes up for a TFLOPS count that is simply not attainable for a console form factor and price point.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that is relevant to both the Scarlett and the PS5 if you assume they are both going to do good SoC work is the fact that the Xbox One X pretty clearly outperformed the on paper expectations of what that 6 TFLOPS RX 480 like GPU should have done. It ended up punching above its weight pretty strongly achieving native 4K in Red Dead Redemption 2, and most of the upcoming big AAA games announced at E3 including Cyberpunk are listed as some version of 4K support on the Xbox game listings. Cerny himself said at one point that he though 8 TFLOPS was necessary for 4K, so the X shows that these companies can do some really great work that can exceed expectations.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, who here even liked the idea of the Lockhart?
I'm still on the Lockhart as a hybrid/mobile SKU train. This is all a smoke screen to throw people off the fact they're coming for all of you Switch users.

Funny my friend told me the two CELL PS3 tales was just pure bullshit and they had a very different GPU before switching to Nvidia...
Yea, which was my point about 'never released silicon' ;)

I've seen allusions to this part but never found out the story behind it. Like how was it supposed to work (like Larrabee?) and why did Sony switch to G70 instead.
More of its own thing from what I heard, continuing the path started with PS2, so pretty radically different from anything we've seen since (or before it) in the GPU space.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Part of people saying it was a great strategy were thinking MS system would have been stronger\much stronger than Sony .
Well we all know how that went the last few days .
To me it was never a good idea because of many factors and brad talk about one which was more work for devs .
The strategy made sense in trying to get people who are price sensitive. That was the only argument that made sense if developers were going to develop for the Anaconda and then toggle settings down.

And even then, I do not think it would have been enough to beat Sony in sales, even stated so.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I have a question for the more knowledgeable in this thread. Since Xbox One X GPU is clocked at 1.172GHz and PS4 Pro at 911MHz, is there a reason why we expect the next gen consoles to be drastically over these clocks? Wouldn't cranking up the GPU clock to say 1.5GHz generate a ton of heat for a console? I'm wondering if we are not getting our hopes up for a TFLOPS count that is simply not attainable for a console form factor and price point.

Those were not based on 7nm design as the ones that will be part of next gen consoles. IIRC they are both made from 16nm nodes. So, for the 7nm to generate similar amounts of heat as 16nm, they will have to be clocked higher.

DanFodio

Alt account
Banned
May 28, 2019
New Prediction:

PS5
GPU: 10TF Navi (52CU @ 1.5GHz)
CPU: 8 Zen 2 cores @ 3.0 GHz
Memory: 24GB GDDR6
Storage: 1TB ultra fast SSD
$449

Scarlett
GPU: 9TF Navi (44CU @ 1.6GHz)
CPU: 8 Zen 2 cores @ 3.2 GHz
Memory: 18GB GDDR6
Storage: 1TB standard SSD
$399

Last edited:

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Lockhart + Anaconda isn't "fake materials", but is (or better to say was) a strategical roadmap plan by MS, as reported on by various respectable sites (The Verge as an example).

That's - factually - wrong though.

Verge might be respectable but they're just sourcing windowscentral who themselves just say "our sources" as the basis for that statement. I looked at the articles again and that seems to be the case. Is that correct? That doesn't confirm the validity of the info.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
New Prediction:

PS5
$449

Scarlett
GPU: 8.2TF Navi (40CU @ 1.6GHz)
$399
I don't think your Scarlett prediction aligns with the SOC die estimates of 380-400mm2.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Bro, you were presenting way out of date info as insider info...
If so, I clearly didn't know around this time, nor did the other media outlets. So I am sorry if you think it was my intention to push outdated info. But why couldn't the people who suddenly act like they had knowledge for months already simply not tell and correct earlier then? Why only doing so the day Brad posts an article about it?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
bdsams I had a query/comment pertaining to previous video covering which console would be more powerful:

To your knowledge, has MS mandated 4K60fps for all the games that are to grace Scarlette?

In the video you stressed about how those performance metrics will be prevalent on that system and I am wondering, especially now, in retrospect of Lockhart being cancelled (the expectation was games that would be crafted for Lockhart would be upgraded to 4K60fps experiences en masse on Scarlette) some time in the past.

I have honestly felt that MS (and Sony) peddle their koolaid to sell their product which do not always play out as advertised in the long run.

DanFodio

Alt account
Banned
May 28, 2019
If so, I clearly didn't know around this time, nor did the other media outlets. But why couldn't the people who act like they had knowledge for months already simply tell and correct earlier then? Why only doing so the day Brad posts an article about it?
No hard feelings, I don't doubt that your intentions are sincere, and you got a good point.

SPDIF

Oct 27, 2017
Well It is indeed hard for me to understand something as dumb as that.
If you're in your room and you're house is on fire but you're not aware of it, was your house not on fire until the moment you were aware of it? NO, it had been burning all along lmao. It's not about lying or giving fake information, I didn't say that, it's about the information, at the time it is being given, being incorrect, whether you, the person who is receiving, or the person who is giving being aware of it or not, it's that simple. And if the delivery guys gave you a time period for the delivery but the plans had already changed, then yes, at that time it was incorrect information, you or them not being aware of it does not matter
Jesus, I can't believe you're actually trying to make a thing out of this.

There's nothing dumb about it, it's stating a simple fact that if you're unaware of something to be false then to you it's going to be true. And therefore if you pass information on to other people completely under the impression of it being correct and up to date, it doesn't mean you're a liar who purposefully posted fake information. That was the original argument I was replying to.

Obviously if you extract away all the context of what we were originally taking about then you are correct about the information always being wrong, but other than wanting to desperately find an excuse to post a tired old meme, I'm not sure why you'd be bothered to do that since nobody was even arguing about that.

In my post that you originally responded to I used the words 'It was false information to people' and 'It was not false information to people'. It turns out the words 'to people' actually add quite a bit of context and meaning to what I said and they certainly do not make my post incorrect or confusing. They shouldn't anyway...

Last edited:

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

So to clarify. What Nibel said doesn't count as verification in the traditional sense. Sometimes people have access to a certain piece of information and we will look to verify it. That doesn't mean the individual themselves is verified for things they post in the future. If that is the case we would note it.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
To disprove one's info, is to make your info public. It wasn't worth revealing at that time. It's not hard to understand. Blame the people that made Lockhart out to be some sort savior. If you want to discuss a rumor to death, that's your own choice. No one has to correct you unless that person chooses to

ppn7

May 4, 2019
New Prediction:

PS5
$449

Scarlett
GPU: 9TF Navi (44CU @ 1.6GHz)
$399

You forget the HDD on the Scarlett. MS said officially on their E3 trailer that there will be a SSD and a HDD

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So to clarify. What Nibel said doesn't count as verification in the traditional sense. Sometimes people have access to a certain piece of information and we will look to verify it. That doesn't mean the individual themselves is verified for things they post in the future. If that is the case we would note it.
The topic wasn't ever about my person but about a simple two SKU illustration though. This piece is what I verified with an administrator equal to you. That's it. Not more, not less. It's obsolete now anyway though, just to add that. I know -my person- isn't verified and that wasn't ever my intention either.

I have a question to you though. If you knew about the 2 SKU strategy being put aside for so long already, why didn't you debunk all the media reports posts earlier? Why exactly the day Brad made an article about it? Honest question.

Last edited:

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Klobrille has got so much right that it is funny how much doubt is being cast his side. Same thing happened with Brad Sams name being dragged.

The best thing that has happened in all of this is that it has been confirmed that there was a two console strategy.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida

Good to hear. This is how I felt about weak Anaconda rumors. Bright side I would grow up to be Conan.

SelfassuredUnfinishedJabiru-size_restricted.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.