• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
You probably have very little knowledge about tech,architecture and gpu in general but going be the infos we have now, RDNA ≠ GCN. Which would basically mean 8TF could be equal to 11-12TF Vega in gaming and similiar to gtx 2070 +lot of console optimization.

Maybe(very likely) you're PC elitist so i put it in other way -that 8tf NAVI is going to be more powerful than what 90% of gamers are using in their gaming PC.

Funniest thing is that PC players were mocking 6 years ago about what "crappy" PS4 GPU will be and yet the best graphics 6 years later is still on console :)
Is this what this thread mostly is? You sound like how I was middle school.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
How is the PS5 still rumoured to be stronger, despite MS focusing only on one SKU?

Zhuge's post implied that Lockehart got axed long ago.

Shouldn't all resources have been going solely into Anaconda since then?

Lets see......

Phil saying they started the conversation with third-parties in Fall 2018
Scarlett was shown as a big APU (surely not likely to be binned?)
APU designs are usually complete/final ~2 years from retail launch

I'm guessing in Fall 2018 Microsoft got a resounding "nope" from the TP dev community?

It doesn't really explain the Lockhart speculation the last six months, though. At least why wasn't the idea debunked back then?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
All those "leaked" documents talk and it was nothing, hope we get a good story about it because I don't believe the reason Brad said for its cancellation, streaming has nothing to do with the people who were going for a cheaper option.

Nov 2, 2017
I mean, most PC games are just console versions with asset fidelity and effects cranked up where possible, exactly because that's the easiest path, to scale up. That's exactly what was going to happen with Ananconda, games designed for Lockhart but with higher fidelity assets and effects - i.e. the exact same scenario with One S and One X. Meanwhile, Sony first party would be around with games designed from the ground up for the PS5, doing shit virtually impossible to port down to Lockhart-level hardware.

It was going to look bad, man. And then, there's the third party side to this.
You can perfectly scale down with resolution, especially if the only difference is the GPU power. MK11 didn't suffer from its Switch port for example and the gap between the Switch & current gen consoles is many times bigger than the one that would've existed beween Lockhart and the other two consoles.

I mean if the Witcher 3 can run on it, albeit ugly, then you could get any game to run on the Switch and none of these games are comprimised because of a later Switch port.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All those "leaked" documents talk and it was nothing, hope we get a good story about it because I don't believe the reason Brad said for its cancellation, streaming has nothing to do with the people who were going for a cheaper option.

I agree with this. Brad's reasoning felt like damage control. xCloud was not the reason for cancelling Lockhart.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
You can perfectly scale down with resolution, especially if the only difference is the GPU power. MK11 didn't suffer from its Switch port for example and the gap between the Switch & current gen consoles is many times bigger than the one that would've existed beween Lockhart and the other two consoles.

I mean if the Witcher 3 can run on it, albeit ugly, then you could get any game to run on the Switch and none of these games are comprimised because of a later Switch port.
Fact is brad sams and digital foundry both explained this is not the case.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
Maybe the Sony fanboys don't like the thought of their exclusives being on PC instead of just their favorite plastic box, but the relatively underwhelming Navi reveal and things like ray tracing which are likely to be "half baked"/under-powered implementations on both PS5 and Scarlett make me quite happy as an Xbox guy to have the option to play next generation games on a higher end PC if I choose. I will definitely be buying a Scarlett because I enjoy console gaming on my big 4K TV most of the time, but I may just decide to do a PC build for the first time in years if I choose to play some Xbox first party games on occasion with some additional absurd level of ray tracing and such applied.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You are thinking the opposite way. If Lockhart existed, Anaconda would be stronger than the PS5 for sure. But now they have to compete directly with PS5 which means they can't go crazy with price. It's gotta be $399 so they have to cut shit.

Why would Anaconda be stronger for sure ?
Thinking MS was going to crazy with price was a dream .

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
How is the PS5 still rumoured to be stronger, despite MS focusing only on one SKU?

Why couldn't it be? Sony and MS both design a console. One will be stronger than the other. They will both be using 90% identical tech (Zen 2, Navi+RT, SSD). It's not hard to imagine either is stronger than the other - both have talented designers. If they shoot for the same price point it really will be 50/50 as to which is better.

Either could be more powerful, and we won't know for sure for probably some time. You guys need to open your minds though, because those attitudes have made this thread unbearable since the Reiner leak.

giphy.gif

im not a pc fanboy lol. just a disillusioned 12 tflops fanboy coming to terms with the realization that we will end up with 8-9 tflops gpu. dont mind me.

Don't be disheartened. Navi flops =/= vega/polaris flops

If we get a 9.5TF RDNA console it will be equivalent to a 12TF GCN console in gaming performance.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe the Sony fanboys don't like the thought of their exclusives being on PC instead of just their favorite plastic box, but the relatively underwhelming Navi reveal and things like ray tracing which are likely to be "half baked"/under-powered implementations on both PS5 and Scarlett make me quite happy as an Xbox guy to have the option to play next generation games on a higher end PC if I choose. I will definitely be buying a Scarlett because I enjoy console gaming on my big 4K TV most of the time, but I may just decide to do a PC build for the first time in years if I choose to play some Xbox first party games on occasion with some additional absurd level of ray tracing and such applied.

tenor.gif

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
You are thinking the opposite way. If Lockhart existed, Anaconda would be stronger than the PS5 for sure. But now they have to compete directly with PS5 which means they can't go crazy with price. It's gotta be $399 so they have to cut shit.
I do think moving from 2 SKUs to 1 has likely caused them to evaluate their target price, but what are they going to cut? They've announced a few details at E3, and more were gleamed from the Scarlett teaser video. From comments Phil made, the silicon (SOC) is locked down now, and initial estimates (from the teaser) are putting it to be ~380-390mm^2. There's really not much to cut, other than perhaps capacity of the SSD and quality of the cooling solution.

I could possibly see this as being a reason why they're using mixed capacity RAM chips (mix of 1 and 2 GB chips), as seen in the teaser video, rather than have them all be 2GB chips.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would Anaconda be stronger for sure .
Thinking MS was going to crazy with price was a dream .

If MS was going with the two console approach, one cheap (Lockhart) and one super powerful (Anaconda), they wouldn't be as shackled on price with Anaconda. They could go nuts and even make a $549 or $599 box and simply tell people to get Lockhart if that's too expensive.

Now that they are back down to one console, Anaconda has to have price parity with PS5 so they'll cut what they need to maintain whatever price they are aiming for ($399 or $499).

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

It didn't seem that hard to understand. The play anywhere focus of Xbox means that people can play their first party games on higher end PC hardware if they choose in addition to their next generation Scarlett console. I for one like that option as a consumer, even more so with the crappy Navi GPUs and what will likely be ray tracing support that doesn't come close to what Nvidia will be doing even next year in their top end cards.

Nov 2, 2017
"Isnt a problem" is very much undermining the likely ridiculous work that went into this
Well the big problem for the Switch is that it's not just a difference in GPU power. The big problems come from less RAM & CPU power which are much harder to work around. To make up for the loss in GPU power you'd only need to change the resolution. Do you know what happens when I halve my resolution on my PC? I get twice as many frames/second. Performance scales almost 1:1 with resolution, until you hit a CPU bottleneck.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Sony might get its shit together with cooling and finally ship a relatively quiet box?

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
lol...console wars 101. Starting your post with "Sony fanboys" and generalising is a bad look.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the unusual mixed sizings of GDDR6 modules are a result of lowering costs on the previously "30% of the market go all out" anaconda, now that it is expected to account for all sales.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
If MS was going with the two console approach, one cheap (Lockhart) and one super powerful (Anaconda), they wouldn't be as shackled on price with Anaconda. They could go nuts and even make a $549 or $599 box and simply tell people to get Lockhart if that's too expensive.

Now that they are back down to one console, Anaconda has to have price parity with PS5 so they'll cut what they need to maintain whatever price they are aiming for ($399 or $499).

No they would not MS still wanted to sell consoles .
They wanted from the leak doc a 30\70 split how many consoles do you think they would have sold at $600.
That price would have made them DOA in the rest of the world and not much sales in the usa.
Plus it was the chance of making PS5 looking like better value compare to both of the consoles.
Thinking MS was going make some super expensive console because lock made no sense .

Feb 26, 2018
Well the big problem for the Switch is that it's not just a difference in GPU power. The big problems come from less RAM & CPU power which are much harder to work around. To make up for the loss in GPU power you'd only need to change the resolution. Do you know what happens when I halve my resolution on my PC? I get twice as many frames/second. Performance scales almost 1:1 with resolution, until you hit a CPU bottleneck.
So you think that all of those devs who though that Lockhart was a bad idea are just incompetent?

Feb 26, 2018
All those news after e3 about MS console strategy played a number on you people

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I wonder if the unusual mixed sizings of GDDR6 modules are a result of lowering costs on the previously "30% of the market go all out" anaconda, now that it is expected to account for all sales.
But this is after supposedly ms getting an inkling that ps5 could out match them in power...and then they gimp themselves more by removing ram? One one hand, if things are locked (think they are)ram kind of is the only thing they could save on. It doesn't make sense though.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

I asked earlier but no one has responded yet so I'll ask again. Who were the 1st people to leak those 2 sku documents or acknowledge their validity? Is it the same folks who are reporting that's been canned?

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fair enough, I should have probably said Sony console warriors because I realize that there are plenty of Sony fans who aren't that obsessed with walled gardens and plastic box sales.

It's interesting that you, being a such a neutral poster in this case, tow the MS company line of 'plastic box sales don't matter' while mocking said Sony fanboys.

Console sales still matter, a lot, no matter how much Phil says otherwise.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I dont think its related in any way. He probably finished his job and went to a better place. And its not like he was working on it alone

Quite likely. As I mentioned earlier in the thread my only frame of reference for a head architect is Cerny, so it still strikes me as odd that a head architect would leave when the product they're designing is over a year away from launch. And yup, of course he's not working alone but he did have a very prominent position and function in the design of MS's next gen machine(s) so I thought it was at least worth a short mention.

Anyways, in the end it doesn't matter too much why he left. I'm just happy that next gen won't be compromised by a low end machine. What WOULD be absolutely hilarious though is if this rumor is actually not true and Lockhart is still happening. All the people singing and dancing over Lockharts demise would be so sad, lol.

Feb 26, 2018
I asked earlier but no one has responded yet so I'll ask again. Who were the 1st people to leak those 2 sku documents or acknowledge their validity? Is it the same folks who are reporting that's been canned?
I think it was Brad who first leaked it. Judging by Zhuge post tho it looks like Lockhart was canceled not recently and probably even before the first leak

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Brad and Klob are the first two sources where I saw this news.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that you, being a such a neutral poster in this case, tow the MS company line of 'plastic box sales don't matter' while mocking said Sony fanboys.

I could care less about company lines or anything, just pointing out that as a gamer I am glad to have options to play Halo Infinite for example with higher fidelity or frame rates on PC if I choose to do a PC build in addition to getting a console. I assume that there are some Sony fans out there that would love an option to see a God of War 2 sequel with Nvidia 2022 ray tracing applied on PC instead of what we will get with the consoles. Let the large companies worry about how they make their money.

Oct 25, 2017
Lockhart being canned a few months ago really calls into question some of the stuff MS "insiders" have been saying.

At the least, they have severely outdated information it looks like.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
This ain't it Chief.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could care less about company lines or anything, just pointing out that as a gamer I am glad to have options to play Halo Infinite for example with higher fidelity or frame rates on PC if I choose to do a PC build in addition to getting a console. I assume that there are some Sony fans out there that would love an option to see a God of War 2 sequel with Nvidia 2022 ray tracing applied on PC instead of what we will get with the consoles. Let the large companies worry about how they make their money.

One could argue the reason why we get so much good first party content (from Nintendo, MS and Sony) is because they are trying to sell their plastic boxes and ecosystems. MS is trying to break that mold now but if they don't sell enough Xbox Scarletts that's not going to be good news for the Xbox division no matter how much they talk about xCloud, Game Pass on Switch, etc.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Plastic box sales only quit mattering to Microsoft when the couldn't manage to sell many plastic boxes.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
Lockhart being canned a few months ago really calls into question some of the stuff MS "insiders" have been saying.

At the least, they have severely outdated information it looks like.
Is it just me? It seems there is always so much more shit floating around about MS with regards to rumours then Sony, especially as we get close to a new gen? Hard to believe most MS rumours for this reason. Way quieter on Sony's front.

Status
Not open for further replies.