• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep..that's because it is, as well all streaming for awhile. Ms is not spending billions in R and D on hardware for fun, it's because Streaming will be niche and not a replacement, just a seperate option. Sony knows this as well. No need to push Ps now yet.

Ok, so what's your point? Why does it matter that streaming is niche?

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I used both...there was no difference for me, but I am not comparing them, was just agreeing with the poster who said "Ps now is niche" maybe follow the conversation next time? Brad sams in a controlled environment had lag and artifacting with Xcloud.....at lower resolutions. Games like Apex legends dont work well at all on ANY streaming device..Streaming is going to be niche in comparison to the console user base.

If you look World wide were may countries simply do not even have the infrastructure.....I'll take Matts market knowledge over yours.
Man you have edited multiple post multiple times, it's hard to keep up with that. We're not disagreeing I never said streaming wouldn't be a niche, all I said and look at my first post was that these companies have market research teams. They know who their demographic is. Y'all need to stop with these snarky comments all the time, learn how to talk to people.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Makes all the ppl that argued about it not being an issue, "you don't know game development" "But but but PC games" seems funny now.

Like all PC games have the exact same minimum requirements...c'mon.

Just looking at it logically it seemed like a bad idea.

I mean, most PC games are just console versions with asset fidelity and effects cranked up where possible, exactly because that's the easiest path, to scale up. That's exactly what was going to happen with Ananconda, games designed for Lockhart but with higher fidelity assets and effects - i.e. the exact same scenario with One S and One X. Meanwhile, Sony first party would be around with games designed from the ground up for the PS5, doing shit virtually impossible to port down to Lockhart-level hardware.

It was going to look bad, man. And then, there's the third party side to this.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
Man you have edited multiple post multiple times, it's hard to keep up with that. We're not disagreeing I never said streaming wouldn't be a niche, all I said and look at my first post was that these companies have market research teams. They know who their demographic is.
And I stated that doesn't mean they will be successful, I can give hundreds of examples...Ms thought they knew their audience with Xbox one, So you are basically going back to "Google knows what it is doing". If only it were that simple.. Having market research is all fine and good...doesn;t guarantee success. There is a long list of failedd google products they did market research for,.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People replied to me, I replied to them? It's how discussion boards work? You can ignore if you wish.

No need to get offended. I was trying to...you know discuss. Earlier you made it sound like being a niche product wasn't ideal and because a product was niche it had a higher chance of failing. Apparently I misread your comments and I apologize.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Thank you for the detailed information. I did not know that the CPU went ahead with "True" branch to make effective usage of clock cycle whilst the condition loop was still running its course (followed presumably by a check to see whether it was indeed "True" or "False"). Fascinating. Like I have said before, sometimes, when learned folks in this thread deliver, it makes me realise just how much there is to know.

That's very strange. I have an 860 Evo in my Pro and my results are the following:

From beep to log-in screen:
On Sleep mode- 13.3s
From cold boot- 20.3s

On XBX (with stock HDD):

From its own start up sound to GUI for guest:
On Instant On mode- 8.3s
From cold boot- 56.3s

Now I'm wondering if maybe my external drive has anything to do with it. Not sure what else it could be. Even when I google boot times, cold/rest mode times are same.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
And I stated that doesn't mean they will be successful, I can give hundreds of examples...Ms thought they knew their audience with Xbox one, So you are basically going back to "Google knows what it is doing". If only it were that simple.. Having market research is all fine and good...doesn;t guarantee success.
We're did I say they were going to be successful? Where? Where? Saying something might not fail isn't the same as saying something is successful. One would say they could find their niche....

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
We're did I say they were going to be successful? Where? Where? Saying something might not fail isn't the same as saying something is successful. One would say they could find their niche....
Ok then whats the point of saying "They have market research teams"? So does every company....that doesn;t say anything really. It sounded to me like you were saying that as a means to say "They know what they are doing ". Like I said already, companies falter all the time with market research in tow. If that's not what you means then ok, good I guess?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
And there goes even more thousands of posts in these threads arguing how much of a great strategy 2 SKUs would've been down the drain.

Part of people saying it was a great strategy were thinking MS system would have been stronger\much stronger than Sony .
Well we all know how that went the last few days .
To me it was never a good idea because of many factors and brad talk about one which was more work for devs .

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Ok then whats the point f saying "They have market research teams"? So does every company....that doesn;t say anything really. It sounded to me like you were saying that as a means to say "They know what they are doing ". Like I said already, companies falter all the time with market research in tow.
But I wasn't, all I was saying is that there is a potential market for streaming more than just PSnow. I don't think they are shooting for the stars because they are in America and know about the infrastructure issues, hell they even tried to fix it at one point.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
PS Now earned $143 million in 2018. Seems like a great niche to me.
playstation network (alone) in 2018 generated $12.5B in revenue.

Yes..... PSNow is a niche.

And I don't think it will fail. Or streaming in general as a niche will fail. I just think people need to dial down their expectations. Especially of how they measure success when it comes to streaming.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't axing a console this late in their developement cycle become a huge hole in their R&D costs?

I wonder how much can MS change and adapt their strategy when they are launching next year.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
I really love the fact that when we heard the rumor about the two SKU strategy from Microsoft some thought that this is a brilliant idea.

Now that we have the rumor that Microsoft cancelled/changed this two SKU the same persons think that this is a brilliant idea.

PS: Some = Industry "insiders/experts", not simple users of this forum.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I really love the fact that when we heard the rumor about the two SKU strategy from Microsoft some thought that this is a brilliant idea.

Now that we have the rumor that Microsoft cancelled/changed this two SKU the same persons think that this is a brilliant idea.

Name names, or your post is pointless fuel to the fan-manbaby wars.

Feb 26, 2018

I'm so tired of this insider nonsense about xbox consoles. Its like they are doing 180 every month or so

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
playstation network (alone) in 2018 generated $12.5B in revenue.

Yes..... PSNow is a niche.

And I don't think it will fail. Or streaming in general as a niche will fail. I just think people need to dial down their expectations. Especially of how they measure success when it comes to streaming.

I wasn't saying PS Now isn't niche. My point was that niche services can still provide a nice revenue.

It's like 1% of what they make through PSN alone

Ok?

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Perhaps they're just investing in order to try and seed a new market opportunity and try to create leadership in that space so they are able to take advantage of that market grows

Same with Sony and VR really
No that's exactly what they are doing, or at least trying to do. I really hope we have a new company to shake things up even more, or offer better/more ways to play.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
How is the PS5 still rumoured to be stronger, despite MS focusing only on one SKU?

Zhuge's post implied that Lockehart got axed long ago.

Shouldn't all resources have been going solely into Anaconda since then?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
How is the PS5 still rumoured to be stronger, despite MS focusing only on one SKU?

Because the fact MS aims to be stronger doesnt stop the sony aiming to he stronger too? Its not that hard

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You are thinking the opposite way. If Lockhart existed, Anaconda would be stronger than the PS5 for sure. But now they have to compete directly with PS5 which means they can't go crazy with price. It's gotta be $399 so they have to cut shit.

Rizla+

Jun 11, 2019

Maybe it' a recent decision. Lead architect of Scarlett leave ms to intel, and specs are locked way before launch date. Now ms can only work on a strict number of hardware factors (clock of component, amount of memory ecc), but not on the core architecture

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So devkits went out, devs told Microsoft they would be focusing on the low end and scaling up to the high end and Microsoft decided to kill off Lockhart? Hmm, this is just me talking out loud here, but is there a chance this is in any way related to the departure of Scarlett's head architect as well if MS wasn't pleased at having to ditch all the work they'd put into Lockhart? I know nothing about the circumstances of this persons departure, I'm just pondering because of the timelines here.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
User warned: Inflammatory posting.
Thank the lord folr killing Lockheart. now the gen will only be handicapped by a shitty 8 tflops Navi GPU. Thanks AMD.
You probably have very little knowledge about tech,architecture and gpu in general but going be the infos we have now, RDNA ≠ GCN. Which would basically mean 8TF could be equal to 11-12TF Vega in gaming and similiar to gtx 2070 +lot of console optimization.

Maybe(very likely) you're PC elitist so i put it in other way -that 8tf NAVI is going to be more powerful than what 90% of gamers are using in their gaming PC.

Funniest thing is that PC players were mocking 6 years ago about what "crappy" PS4 GPU will be and yet the best graphics 6 years later is still on console :)

Edit:lol im reported. How is that Inflammatory posting..

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
You probably have very little knowledge about tech,architecture and gpu in general but going be the infos we have now, RDNA ≠ GCN. Which would basically mean 8TF could be equal to 11-12TF Vega in gaming and similiar to gtx 2070 +lot of console optimization.

Maybe(very likely) you're PC elitist so i put it in other way -that 8tf NAVI is going to be more powerful than what 90% of gamers are using in their gaming PC.

Funniest thing is that PC players were mocking 6 years ago about what "crappy" PS4 GPU will be and yet the best graphics 6 years later is still on console :)
He does know, but he was hoping for unreasonable numbers in the past.

Feb 26, 2018
So devkits went out, devs told Microsoft they would be focusing on the low end and scaling up to the high end and Microsoft decided to kill off Lockhart? Hmm, this is just me talking out loud here, but is there a chance this is in any way related to the departure of Scarlett's head architect as well if MS wasn't pleased at having to ditch all the work they'd put into Lockhart? I know nothing about the circumstances of this persons departure, I'm just pondering because of the timelines here.
I dont think its related in any way. He probably finished his job and went to a better place. And its not like he was working on it alone

Rizla+

Jun 11, 2019
You are thinking the opposite way. If Lockhart existed, Anaconda would be stronger than the PS5 for sure. But now they have to compete directly with PS5 which means they can't go crazy with price. It's gotta be $399 so they have to cut shit.
Make sense, but if the cancellation of lockhart is too recent to impact scarlett hardware, the only thing that ms can' do is to avoid a price higher that ps5, or set this even lower. In any case it will reflect in some kind of money loss to ms.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

im not a pc fanboy lol. ive been banned for making fun of pc gamers' infatuation with resolutions. but then again, ive been banned for upsetting sony, ms and nintendo fans so i dont know what i am.

i guess im just a disillusioned 12 tflops fanboy coming to terms with the realization that we will end up with 8-9 tflops gpu. dont mind me.

Status
Not open for further replies.