• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
At this point I believe all the Ps5 more powerful talk comes from a PC like dev kit with big raw performance numbers, but the actual finalized silicon will be significantly lower.

The leap will be even bigger.
Nothing beats the difference in feel than SSDs and load times / instant access
2D to 3D easily beats that

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
At this point I believe all the Ps5 more powerful talk comes from a PC like dev kit with big raw performance numbers, but the actual finalized silicon will be significantly lower.
reiner already clarified it came from developers getting informed of the specs by sony and MS rather than the raw dev kit performance.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#TeamWhyNotBoth.gif

I am just glad Sony is no longer releasing a weak underpowered $399 console. And I am glad MS didnt reveal an even weaker 4 tflops console that wouldve held back an entire generation. Glad devs called bs on that.

I think im going to trade in my X1X now that i have a powerful PC and gamepass on it. and use that credit to buy the Scarlet next year. Hopefully Gamestop doesnt go out of business.

Will probably sell my switch but they had a decent E3 this year. top down zeldas are the only zeldas i like, and astral chain looks pretty good as well.

Rizla+

Jun 11, 2019
I predict an even worst shitstorm to Reiner if at the end of the day Scarlett will be more powerful than ps5, even if to a low %.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing.

Neither will use RDNA OR Next Gen RDNA probably. They'll rather use a hybrid form with features from both designs.
Both are confirmed as using Navi which is RDNA. The fact that they may get RDNA with additional RT h/w means little for the core multiprocessors as these won't change much between RDNA1/2/3/4/5/etc in the same way as GCN hasn't really changed its execution core since GCN1.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously lads, a lot of you who prefer the Xbox were right that SpinningBirdKick was being dumb with his constant posts on how the PS5 could be stronger while downplaying Scarlett as much as possible. Why the hell are you guys doing the same thing.

We can talk about both consoles without caring about the tflops, unless you have made a heavy bet against the PS5 and you're potentially losing your house over the matter.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I recall. It went something like this.

Reiner's 1st Tweet: Dev say PS5 is more powerful.
2nd Tweet: In Terms of Flops.
3rd Tweet: Devs are usaully told target specs.

the 3rd tweet muddies the waters. He was being questioned over a tweet he had made earlier, and he basically went defensive and claimed that maybe devs were just telling him about target specs.

I think it's entire possible that Sony devkits had the vega 56 GPU running at 1.8 ghz to hit 12.9 tflops. This could mean they are actually targeting around 10.2 Navi tflops. Maybe the navi chips arent ready yet and sony just sent what was available at the time.

a 44 CU Navi GPU at 1.85ghz would give us 10.4 tflops. which is roughly 13.024 GCN tflops. the 4chan rumor mentioned how the big PC towers had massive fans running really hot. i would think a 56 CU Vega GPU clocked to 1.85ghz could have that effect on fans. this would also explain why Phil wasnt too sure about his tflops advantage because his devkits that went out later than the PS5 devkits likely had a Navi chip. another 4chan rumor that started with the poster claiming sony devkits were more powerful ended with someone else saying that while the tflops numbers were lower in the ms console, its performance was better than the ps5. i would think an 11 tflops navi apu would easily beat a 12.9 tflops gcn gpu. 11*1.25=13.75 gcn tflops.

it would be hilarious if after all this time speculating over MS going with vega, sony was the one with the vega devkits because navi devkits werent ready.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

the 3rd tweet muddies the waters. He was being questioned over a tweet he had made earlier, and he basically went defensive and claimed that maybe devs were just telling him about target specs.

I think it's entire possible that Sony devkits had the vega 56 GPU running at 1.8 ghz to hit 12.9 tflops. This could mean they are actually targeting around 10.2 Navi tflops. Maybe the navi chips arent ready yet and sony just sent what was available at the time.

a 44 CU Navi GPU at 1.85ghz would give us 10.4 tflops. which is roughly 13.024 GCN tflops. the 4chan rumor mentioned how the big PC towers had massive fans running really hot. i would think a 56 CU Vega GPU clocked to 1.85ghz could have that effect on fans. this would also explain why Phil wasnt too sure about his tflops advantage because his devkits that went out later than the PS5 devkits likely had a Navi chip. another 4chan rumor that started with the poster claiming sony devkits were more powerful ended with someone else saying that while the tflops numbers were lower in the ms console, its performance was better than the ps5. i would think an 11 tflops navi apu would easily beat a 12.9 tflops gcn gpu. 11*1.25=13.75 gcn tflops.

it would be hilarious if after all this time speculating over MS going with vega, sony was the one with the vega devkits because navi devkits werent ready.
10.4 navi tflops is roughly 15.28tf gcn if we take for basic comparison navi10 9.45tf against 12.58tf vega 64 (1.47x increase in perf for 1tf)

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a lot of speculation that one or both consoles will have an RDNA2 chip but if the APU is based on 7nm and RDNA2 is 7nm+ like the roadmap says, would it even be compatible? If the APU was Zen3 we could see 7nm+ but both have confirmed Zen2. I think it's far more likely for some RDNA2 features to make it into the console GPUs than it being a full RDNA2 GPU

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why some people find Andrew Reiner tweets so hard to believe. Why is it so "out there" that, at the very least, current PS5 dev kits are packing more power than Scarlett dev kits? It is not like Sony making more powerful hardware than MS is some crazy hypothetical; Sony did so this gen with the PS4! Where is this stringent belief that Scarlett must be more powerful that than the PS5 is coming from?

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
I don't understand why some people find Andrew Reiner tweets so hard to believe. Why is it so "out there" that, at the very least, current PS5 dev kits are packing more power than Scarlett dev kits? It is not like Sony making more powerful hardware than MS is some crazy hypthetical; Sony did so this gen with the PS4! Where is this stringent belief that Scarlett must be more powerful that than the PS5 is coming from?

Because it hurts their pride. Attachment to corporations is par for the course these days.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why some people find Andrew Reiner tweets so hard to believe. Why is it so "out there" that, at the very least, current PS5 dev kits are packing more power than Scarlett dev kits? It is not like Sony making more powerful hardware than MS is some crazy hypthetical; Sony did so this gen with the PS4! Where is this stringent belief that Scarlett must be more powerful that than the PS5 is coming from?
Pretty much because Phil Spencer said so and that Microsoft is a trillion dollar company (while not thinking that each department has a set budget and the board to answer to if they spend too much over R&D)

Oct 27, 2017
tracing back to who leaked the details through a tweet is much harder than if you leak the full specs of both consoles.

these developers are also their friends, they wont ruin the life of a friend for your entertainment.

jeez this thread
Stop the "jeez this thread"

I don't honestly care which console will have the biggest crotch.

But if this guy can tweet a statement without giving anyone away, then he can put a percentage delta and/or numbers as well.

A lot of the "scarlet is more powerful" insiders/leakers are rightfully getting shit on in this thread, yet this guy is getting a pass and defense force.

Edit. I reread your post. Ignore what I wrote before

Last edited:

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously lads, a lot of you who prefer the Xbox were right that SpinningBirdKick was being dumb with his constant posts on how the PS5 could be stronger while downplaying Scarlett as much as possible. Why the hell are you guys doing the same thing.

We can talk about both consoles without caring about the tflops, unless you have made a heavy bet against the PS5 and you're potentially losing your house over the matter.

It has nothing to do with preferences, He's post was just stupid.

Agree with the rest, downplaying a console just because it's so dump. There is a a difference between being a fan and a fanboy warrior who downplay about every positive thing on the other side. A gamer should be happy no matter what. Warriors just amazes me. It's not like one machine being more powerful is gonna ruin the game experience or gonna protect and serve me or pay the bill. Lmao

Rizla+

Jun 11, 2019
The recent focus on power of MS with claims of "most powerful console " on one x create this. It's a double edge weapon

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019

You are misremembering the 3rd tweet.

An Xbox Youtuber called him out over the (unfounded) rumour that Xbox dev kits had not gone out, and that it was too early to know any info.
He said that devs also know specs earlier due to talks with manufacturers.

His third tweet was meant to explain why info is available even early on in the process.

If he had said which sources had which information he could have seriously compromised them btw.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i think in general posters in here should just be aware that anything can happen really.
until the full spec list leaks out in the coming months, both sony and MS have equal chances to be more powerful (to us)
the specs are schrodinger's cat ;p

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has nothing to do with preferences, He's post was just stupid.

Agree with the rest, downplaying a console just because it's so dump. There is a a difference between being a fan and a fanboy warrior who downplay about every positive thing on the other side. A gamer should be happy no matter what. Warriors just amazes me. It's not like one machine being more powerful is gonna ruin the game experience or gonna protect and serve me or pay the bill. Lmao
Yep!

I like speculating about consoles, but the constant downplaying, like the PS5 devkit having a higher teraflops count and not being as powerful as the final specs while not thinking that the same would happen to Scarlett (hell, Xbox One X devkit ran at 6.6 teraflops) is annoying.

Also I didnt mean all Xbox fans, of course.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a lot of speculation that one or both consoles will have an RDNA2 chip but if the APU is based on 7nm and RDNA2 is 7nm+ like the roadmap says, would it even be compatible? If the APU was Zen3 we could see 7nm+ but both have confirmed Zen2. I think it's far more likely for some RDNA2 features to make it into the console GPUs than it being a full RDNA2 GPU
We know jack shit about what RDNA2 is and how it will compare to RDNA1.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
I don't understand why some people find Andrew Reiner tweets so hard to believe. Why is it so "out there" that, at the very least, current PS5 dev kits are packing more power than Scarlett dev kits? It is not like Sony making more powerful hardware than MS is some crazy hypothetical; Sony did so this gen with the PS4! Where is this stringent belief that Scarlett must be more powerful that than the PS5 is coming from?

Because some people are so fixed on the words that MS would never come short on power again saying. So its surprising to some when they find out the opposite. Next year is going to be crazy. just watch.

Last edited:

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Yep!

I like speculating about consoles, but the constant downplaying, like the PS5 devkit having a higher teraflops count and not being as powerful as the final specs while not thinking that the same would happen to Scarlett (hell, Xbox One X devkit ran at 6.6 teraflops) is annoying.

Also I didnt mean all Xbox fans, of course.

Exactly,
It's not out of the realm of reality that PS5 could end up being the more powerful console or the Xbox or both are the same. Everything is up in the air. Like Spencer said; he can't claim Xbox is more powerful since he doesn't know the PS5 specs. It's just stupid.

While I love new tech but the thing am looking most forward to is console design, controller, dashboard, features , new games and the new console smell :D

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Week) - Continued History of Platform Warring
My God some MS fans have really made this thread unbearable . Everytime I come in here and check for news ,same story : Reiner doesn't know anything ,anaconda more powerful, no dev kits were sent out, anaconda is RDNA2 but ps5 is for sure RDNA1 etc... come on guys.

We were under impression anaconda was stronger and none of the Sony fans made the thread to a mess that it is now .it is not that big of a deal they will be almost the same .

As far as we r concern we have the first independent journalist reporting on it . Leave it or take it but don't try to derail and destroy this thread .

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I think he wanted to joke about it and not say "no comment". The way he says it seems to me that they just don't want to announce the second console just yet.

Come on....

We've been arguing about those words for months on end over here, I think we deserve better than that.

The fact that he uses that non-excuse is already a confirmation that indeed he was referring to multiple SKUs back in the day.

So the question remains, if there were 2 SKUs before, and there is only one been talked right now, what happened to the other one?

He can say "No comment" or he can answer truthfully (either it's been canned, it hasn't or it's still under debate)....but don't come out saying "actually those 2 were the One X and the Scarlett"

Come on now

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
My God some MS fans have really made this thread unbearable . Everytime I come in here and check for news ,same story : Reiner doesn't know anything ,anaconda more powerful, no dev kits were sent out etc... come on guys.

We were under impression anaconda was stronger and none of the Sony fans made the thread to a mess that it is now .it is not that big of a deal they will be almost the same .

As far as we r concern we have the first independent journalist reporting on it . Leave it or take it but don't try to derail and destroy this thread .
Honestly, posts like yours are the ones dominating and derailing this thread atm more than anything else.
Come on....

We've been arguing about those words for months on end over here, I think we deserve better than that.

The fact that he uses that non-excuse is already a confirmation that indeed he was referring to multiple SKUs back in the day.

So the question remains, if there were 2 SKUs before, and there is only one been talked right now, what happened to the other one?

He can say "No comment" or he can answer truthfully (either it's been canned, it hasn't or it's still under debate)....but don't come out saying "actually those 2 were the One X and the Scarlett"

Come on now
It could be as simple as them not being ready or wanting to announce it yet. The only reason we know about Lockhart and have been discussing it is because of insiders. It's not like MS announced it and just stopped talking about it.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Err I don't know what thread you're reading but if anything it seems most people in here 100% believe Reiners tweet is credible and that PS5 is currently more powerful.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, posts like yours are the ones dominating and derailing this thread atm more than anything else.

It could be as simple as they're not ready to announce it yet. The only reason we know about Lockhart and have been discussing it is because of insiders. It's not like they announced it and just stopped talking about it.
That because u see it that way.u don't see all the derailing posts from othersude cause for u that's ok .more to do with ur perception . Before this news , we thought anaconda was stronger and everything was still fine .not anymore .wonder what changed that made the thread so upset

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
That because u see it that way.u don't see all the derailing posts from othersude cause for u that's ok .more to do with ur perception . Before this news , we thought anaconda was stronger and everything was still fine .not anymore .wonder what changed that made the thread so upset
And I guess it's just your perception that other posters are derailing the thread.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
The recent focus on power of MS with claims of "most powerful console " on one x create this. It's a double edge weapon

Not only that, Mr Booty just doubled down on it in reference to Scarlett, which put MS in a very precarious situation regarding that particular point:

- If it's indeed the most powerful, it was expected as per his affirmation

- If the PS5 is somehow the most powerful console, not only he ends up as a liar but the shock would be enormous, specially outside our circles

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And I guess it's just your perception that other posters are derailing the thread.
It's not only my point of view that thread is derailed .just look at posts on this page from brown intruder to see who is directing the thread into pages of argument without result.anyways I will refrain from posting about this subject to prevent thread derailing

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly,
It's not out of the realm of reality that PS5 could end up being the more powerful console or the Xbox or both are the same. Everything is up in the air. Like Spencer said; he can't claim Xbox is more powerful since he doesn't know the PS5 specs. It's just stupid.

While I love new tech but the thing am looking most forward to is console design, controller, dashboard, features , new games and the new console smell :D
oh god the controller. I'm excited for both!

Actually more excited about Scarlett's because how much the DS4 has been embarassingly terrible in the things that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.