• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Wtf? This thread.. oh boy..
Let's speculate on the topic from different angle. Sony's gaming division is responsible for 60.. 70% of all corp profit? I mean it's basically keeping Sony afloat and relevant ( in customer area ). With House no more ( who's is responsible for this exceptional generation ) I think they changed tone.. from underdog trying to turn things around after ps3 to behemoth putting a fight .. they like being leader and they know people will follow because people follow winners .. not loosers...

~25% iirc.
Has Cerny been given any lifetime achievement awards yet? If not, the man deserves it.

He has.
when-nick-young-the-basketball-player-met-nick-young-the-meme-body-image-1485378510.jpg

His last few posts sound like someone making their way through the 2nd stage of grief. People are taking this way too seriously.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think the most interesting thing is what does Nintendo do 1-3 years after these next box launches.

Like you have to at least get into the 4-6 tflop range to have any chance of getting a somewhat decent amount of 3rd party ports.

Yes I get Nintendo gonna Nintendo but a huge part of the reason imo that switch has done so well is that it isn't really waaaaaay behind a stock Xbox one so it is getting a decent amount of 3p support.

Nvidia will have to cook up some kind of miracle to hit even a 4tflop Target on like a 15-25w power Target docked and even less than that portable for Nintendo assuming they stay with the hybrid model (which they will).

Like honestly amd has the only chips right now that are anywhere close to that (the ryzen G chips ain't half bad on a 15w budget and they should keep improving).
Never mind next gen games being designed for SSDs and what not.

Gonna be a tall order for Nintendo/Switch 2.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
hey, non-heated question here: seeing a lot of people say the difference will be small. if the way weve talked about flops in the past is kind of misleading, and a smaller amount of flops could mean more power in the right context, doesnt that mean that ps5 having a few more flops would be an exponentially bigger difference?

like, if these flops mean more than old flops, having more of them should mean more. does that make sense?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
The blue board *might* be something to do with Scarlett but doubt we'll ever know. To the bold I'm not entirely convinced those were CGI shots.....Would they bother to put real and differing model numbers on a render of RAM chips? The chips on the Scorpio render were blank.
They use these CGI trailers to drop hints, the RAM chips model number was there for a reason :)

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
hey, non-heated question here: seeing a lot of people say the difference will be small. if the way weve talked about flops in the past is kind of misleading, and a smaller amount of flops could mean more power in the right context, doesnt that mean that ps5 having a few more flops would be an exponentially bigger difference?

like, if these flops mean more than old flops, having more of them should mean more. does that make sense?
If my thinking is correct, no, because they're within the same paradigm. This would only hold if PS5 were Navi and Xbox Scarlett was Polaris or Vega or whatever.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
A quick question: why does a devkit need more RAM than a retail unit of a console?
Technically speaking, it doesn't, since we can displace non-essential aspects of the OS to make space for debug memory. Like, the consumer kit can load netflix and a game simultaneously, but developers don't need to load netflix while we're making games. So that memory is available for all the extra instrumentation data that makes development versions more bloated than the shipping runtime. Like we have various maps that reverse can convert hashes back into strings or guids for debugging. Those maps don't need to exist in the shipping runtime. We may use some of that debug memory for live edit features as well.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dude.. No one is taking his quote as fact lmao. We're talking about the marketing and wondering why they're confident Anaconda is going to be more powerful.
They aren't confident, they can't say. Otherwise Phil would have come out saying it at e3 where all eyes are on them. They don't know, ps5 could come ahead it could not.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
It's not about chips.
It's about loss. mS in their internal document revealed they expect anaconda to account for 30% of sales.meaning for example they were taking 100$ loss on 30% of sales and say 55$ loss on the other 70%(Lockhart) . Now that anaconda is becoming 100% of sales Xbox division have to adjust their loss as it was not forcasted to lose 100$ on 100% of sales .
If Lockhart and anaconda were to both come out, lockhart would be the one to sell for a loss while anaconda would be priced for profit. They wouldn't both be selling at a loss. You charge a premium for a premium product to make up losses you would be taking on a cheaper product.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That would only matter if they were different architectures.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Anaconda is less powerful than PS5, it likely has a lower (or equivalent) BOM. I don't see how dropping Lockhart has any affect on anything. The only way dropping Lockhart would affect anything is if Anaconda cost more than PS5. If it's less powerful the that is unlikely.
on the contrary. Ps5 is likely more powerful because of the 1.8 ghz clockspeeds achieved likely due to them going with low power hungry hbm2+ddr4 which should be much cheaper bom wise than 24 gb of gddr6 ram.

I think both will be the same price but bom will be slightly cheaper if they go with hbm2.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'll just post what I was going to post in the other thread before it was locked.

The Xbox Scarlet and PS5 will be virtually the same machine with a marginal power difference between them. The difference in power will not be the determining factor on which one sells more. Because that is always the case with these two consoles. It has never not been the case.
Trying to ascribe sales lead to a single factor is like trying to narrow an election win down to a single constituency. It's a fool's errand.

That being said, Xbox 360 had a more powerful GPU and was the domestic sales winner. PS4 had a more powerful GPU and is the domestic sales winner. Xbox One X has the better GPU and reportedly outperforms the PS4 Pro in sales. So I'd say the data directly contradicts your conclusion, despite the best efforts of your typeface.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
The rebuttal to the rumor of PS5 being the more powerful system doesn't make much sense. Particularly the "Microsoft wants Scarlett to be the most powerful" and the "Microsoft executive thinks Scarlett will be more powerful" arguments. Neither Microsoft or Sony knows what each other are doing when it comes to hardware, so why is the "Microsoft wants to be the best" used as evidence against the GI claim? Of course Microsoft wants to have the technically superior system as it would be good and effective marketing ammo against the competition. Sony did the exact same thing before the X1X came out. Neither of them know so they wouldn't confirm until both machines are shown off.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If Lockhart and anaconda were to both come out, lockhart would be the one to sell for a loss while anaconda would be priced for profit. They wouldn't both be selling at a loss. You charge a premium for a premium product to make up losses you would be taking on a cheaper product.
Console market is not that way. For premium spec manufacturer has to pay to make the jump. It's not like phone market.. having 12 tf of navi with 24 gb gddr6 at 499 needs more loss than 4 tf of navi with 12 gb gddr6 at 350$

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Trying to ascribe sales lead to a single factor is like trying to narrow an election win down to a single constituency. It's a fool's errand.

That being said, Xbox 360 had a more powerful GPU and was the domestic sales winner. PS4 had a more powerful GPU and is the domestic sales winner. Xbox One X has the better GPU and reportedly outperforms the PS4 Pro in sales. So I'd say the data directly contradicts your conclusion, despite the best efforts of your typeface.

Didn't someone already post that statistically, pro would be outselling oneX something like >2.4:1?
I know when I was buying my pro and x, they both cost about the same even though it was more than a year after the pro released. You think that based on sales of xbone and percentage of expected x sales, x would hold its price. Not the other way around.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And what the Xbox Marketing said officially?
Xbox marketing fed these insiders due to insider saying Ms sent them a file explaining how Xbox will be more powerful.anyways I know where u r going with the whole nothing official was announced from MS marketing but message they fed their insiders is telling different story . They could have avoided all this with not focusing on this aspect

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Taking a short break from this toxic environment.

Its like kindergarten in here. People losing their collective shit over a rumour that PS5 may be the more powerful next gen console. I wish we didn't know the Reiner tweet. All was fine and dandy when PS5 was believed to the inferior one.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

Its like kindergarten in here. People losing their collective shit over a rumour that PS5 may be the more powerful next gen console. I wish we didn't know the Reiner tweet. All was fine and dandy when PS5 was believed to the inferior one.
That tweet really struck a nerve and nothing has been confirmed yet. It's gonna be a real shit show if it's true.

Deleted member 57239

User requested account closure
Banned
May 31, 2019
User banned (3 days): antagonistic drive-by

have you not been reading this thread since OT1? its been garbage

a place full of passive aggressive dorks

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Trying to catch up.

Can someone please summarize the latest rumors?
Not sure what you've seen. The most substantial happenings are that Matt confirmed both PS5 and Anaconda have hardware RT, and Andrew Reiner he heard from devs that the PS5 is more powerful than Scarlett in terms of flops. People are currently losing their minds over the latter.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Not sure what you've seen. The most substantial happenings are that Matt confirmed both PS5 and Anaconda have hardware RT, and Andrew Reiner he heard from devs that the PS5 is more powerful than Scarlett in terms of flops. People are currently losing their minds over the latter.

Why are people losing their minds over the latter? What's the reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.