• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Was this post discussed?

Edit: Can a mod verify hmqgg for a comment like that?

What do you want verified? That he believes something?

People need to become more discerning about the difference between a goal, an aim, a belief, and the facts of the matter.

Did any of the pastebin leaks last time round accurately describe either PS4 or XB1?

Pastebin wasn't a thing - but more or less accurate specs did leak out, bar some changes, in 2012. This was one of the first detailed PS4 leaks in June 2012 - http://vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-ps4-in-deep-first-specs/ - the cpu and memory size changed since then, but most everything else was correct at that point.

Last edited:

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
There is no way Microsoft will be giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony, so let's wait for the final specs before we discuss the devkit rumours.
giphy.gif

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
If Reiner had said that Scarlett dev kits were more powerful than PS5 dev kits I can guarantee you basically every person in this thread casting doubts on the statements/sources/relevance would be singing a completely different tune.

Including me. As I said in my post - the specs are most likely final by now. Dev Kits almost certainly are not, which is the only point I was making. Even the articles posted show Sony Dev kits also going out later than 17 months before launch.

It's entirely possible the PS5 *is* more powerful. But we still don't know price (and my bet is based on Sony hitting a price).

The only point I made is you cannot extrapolate final console performance from the state of a Dev Kit today, IMO.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
We all know this goes both ways. I remember seeing many posts about how we won't be seeing a difference if Anaconda is 20% more powerful and that power won't help worldwide sales.

It's true. That kind of margin is good for bragging rights and little else, so it simply shouldn't matter who comes out on top if the margin is that small. That's actually pretty much what a lot of folks have been saying, that it looks like the two could well be pretty close.

There was definitely room for more blowback against Microsoft for having made a big deal of aiming to be the most powerful, but frankly I think the way they handled E3 was pretty wise in that regard. They've shifted focused effectively and defused any particular heat around the subject. Now they're in a position to take credit if they do wind up on top, and any damage from a spec war loss has already been pretty well mitigated. We'll see a little crowing from the eventual spec leader, sure, but it won't be a major factor for most consumers unless the gap is much wider than expected at this point.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Including me. As I said in my post - the specs are most likely final by now. Dev Kits almost certainly are not, which is the only point I was making. Even the articles posted show Sony Dev kits also going out later than 17 months before launch.

It's entirely possible the PS5 *is* more powerful. But we still don't know price (and my bet is based on Sony hitting a price).

The only point I made is you cannot extrapolate final console performance from the state of a Dev Kit today, IMO.

Amen to this.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Didn't Matt Booty say a couple of days ago that he absolutely believes Anaconda is going to be the most powerful console?

Did he - that is actually juicy and interesting.

I've only read the interview he did with EG where they asked him what would set Scarlett ahead of PS5 and he specifically didn't mention power.

Any links to the statements where he comments on it?

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's different. Brad Sams is using Xbox's marketing words whereas hmqgg sounds like he knows the performance.

My point was to show that according to bdsams MS is still planning on having the most powerful console. After the reveal, there was some talk about the possibility of MS not planning on that anymore since Phil (or video I guess) didn't specifically say anything about having the most powerful console.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think he was ever debunked.

On one side you have a guy on the forum saying the Dante devkit is more powerful than the PS5 devkit... then on the other hand you have Andrew from GI and Colin Moriarty saying they both have heard the PS5 is more powerful.

Something's wrong here...

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
You don't know what they gave their answer based on.
I know because andrew reiner says that this claim isnt too early as the developers were given target specs by sony and MS. They wouldnt say that one is more powerful than the other by some odd pc tower when they have target specs that paints a totally different story.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, the new Andrew Reiner tweet is even more illuminating.

So sounds like it's based on target specs and not even the current state of the dev kits. Initially I thought MS could change stuff d around to go for the power crown, I'm not so sure now.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I'm somewhat of a lurker here but the moment Andrew Reiner and [banned from Era journalist] said PS5 was gonna be more powerful, I knew this thread was going to be fun to watch. My assessment on the situation? We'll wait and see but I can see Sony surprising people considering they're investing a ton of money into the system. It's always a blast seeing the heated debates over which box will be theoretically better from a technical standpoint.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
On one side you have a guy on the forum saying the Dante devkit is more powerful than the PS5 devkit... then on the other hand you have Andrew from GI and Colin Moriarty saying they both have heard the PS5 is more powerful.

Correction
On one side we have something saying "devs has been saying PS5 is stronger" and on the other side we have some people saying "I believe Scarlett will be more powerful, it's the target, etc.."

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm somewhat of a lurker here but the moment Andrew Reiner and [banned from Era journalist] said PS5 was gonna be more powerful, I knew this thread was going to be fun to watch. My assessment on the situation? We'll wait and see but I can see Sony surprising people considering they're investing a ton of money into the system. It's always a blast seeing the heated debates over which box will be theoretically better from a technical standpoint.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter that much, if I had to guess I'd say the machines will be really close to each other I think the difference will be even smaller than the original PS4/XBO consoles.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
FWIW, Reiner responded to a tweet asking how devs could know if dev kits are not out for both - Reiner said 'specs are discussed beforehand'. So it sounds like what he heard is based on the current state of target specs for the systems, not the current state of dev kits per se.
Thanks for sharing this. For the lazy people, can you provide the tweet too?

Oct 25, 2017
Devs are informed of target specs, now they know which one is more powerful, andrew reiner ask them about next gen performance, they answer ps5 is faster based off the information sony and MS gave them?
Really isnt that confusing.

Faster or more powerful?

Who said Dante Devkit is more powerful?
Colin Moriarty is banned here.

-

Now the talk is "target" and not the current specs? lmao.
Nothing to see there.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
At the end of the day it doesn't really matter that much, if I had to guess I'd say the machines will be really close to each other I think the difference will be even smaller than the original PS4/XBO consoles.
I agree wholeheartedly. It's probably gonna be one system performs marginally better running some games at a slightly better resolution. Price and game library are way more important of course

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Devs are informed of target specs, now they know which one is more powerful, andrew reiner ask them about next gen performance, they answer ps5 is faster based off the information sony and MS gave them?
Really isnt that confusing.
Yes but one simple tweet has to be twisted, analyzed and rethinked into a million different scenarios.

It seams figuring out the meaning of the Nazca lines is easier than this tweet.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
Do we have any idea which Ryzen CPU they'll be using exactly? All I've seen is it'll be from the 3000 series?

They don't use specific models for either the CPU or GPU, the CPU in this case will simply be a Zen 2 based chip at whatever spec they require and with whatever customisations they require.

In regards to Sony at least they have stated it'll be a Zen 2 with 8-cores and while MS haven't provided any other details beyond "Zen 2"; they have stated 4x performance over the CPU in the One X which would also line up roughly with 8-cores at an appropriate clockspeed.

The general consensus in here for both seems to be Zen 2 with 8-Cores / 16-Threads @ 3.0-3.2GHz. I expect it'll be pretty much stock and it appears to be on an APU in the Scarlett; and we'll likely see the same with PS5.

If you want the closest equivalent it would be an under-clocked Ryzen 7 3700X.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
They don't use specific models for either the CPU or GPU, the CPU in this case will simply be a Zen 2 based chip at whatever spec they require and with whatever customisations they require.

In regards to Sony at least they have stated it'll be a Zen 2 with 8-cores and while MS haven't provided any other details beyond "Zen 2"; they have stated 4x performance over the CPU in the One X which would also line up roughly with 8-cores at an appropriate clockspeed.

The general consensus in here for both seems to be Zen 2 with 8-Cores / 16-Threads @ 3.0-3.2GHz. I expect it'll be pretty much stock and it appears to be on an APU in the Scarlett; and we'll likely see the same with PS5.

If you want the closest equivalent it would be an under-clocked Ryzen 7 3700X.
We're also assuming both systems will use GDDR6 memory right? Unless of course there's another surprise update for either platform like last time

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It is on one of my message...
Chris posted it in the previous page, near the end i think.
Found it thanks.
Next step find out when those discussions took place!
Sure:

Side note: I feel sorry for him, looking at his mentions. He said over the weekend he probably won't update this rumour again given the kind of response it's generated - which is a shame for the rest of us.

Thx again.

IMO as an industry veteran, he possibly should have known the reactions he triggers. Especially around the time of E3.

At least we know know the base of his statement. Next thing it would be nice to find out when those talks between platform holders and devs took place on a time line .

Last edited:

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
if ps5 is more powerful:
sony fans - we got the most powerful console, hahaha
msft - i prefer xbox games. specs arent that important

if scarlet is more powerful:
sony fans - ps5 has better games. screw specs
msft fans - we got the most powerful console. hahaha

end thread

Nov 2, 2017
That's false

5700 XT is 180w TDP
RX 580 is 185w TDP

No, he's right but I don't blame you for being wrong as everyone mixes up TDP & TBP, even tech websites. AMD only ever gives TBP numbers, as it's the only metric that's useful for a desktop GPU, and never TDP so whenever you see a website list TDP they almost always mean TBP. The 185W for the 580 is an offical number from AMD for the TBP.

You can check their website. https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-580

Typical Board Power (Desktop): 185 W

Status
Not open for further replies.