• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Reiner's tweets are interesting, and has added a new discussion point to the thread. But, there's just so much information and detail lacking, it's difficult to extrapolate to final consoles from there.

What state are the devkits in (PC parts, early APU samples, etc.)? Reiner clarified more powerful as in more flops - ok, so are devs basing their comments on seeing one number higher than the other, or are they getting more performance out of one system over the other? How many devs did he here this from; all from one studio, or from several studios? Why didn't GI include this info in their articles about Scarlett? Why hasn't there been any other comments about this from virtually anyone else (who also aren't banned on ERA)?

They are in NO state, based on history. For Scorpio, which was a pretty simple bring-up that went very well, the first chips booted on a board in December 2016. The first real dev kit (that looked like a final console) didn't go out until March 2017.

Historically, for a FULL next-gen launch final Dev Kits aren't usually even out until Summer the year of launch. Although prototype boards get better monthly starting the holiday before.

Hell, back in Xbox 360 they famously sent out Mac's as Dev Kits.

My point is that I'm ignoring any comments about Dev Kits. Without more detail, that information is sort of meaningless. Dev Kits nearly always have more power than the final console (necessary for PC ports) and probably have to be SUPER beefy now since they have to use current PC parts to try and allow development of next-gen features.

In my opinion (for what that's worth) you must separate two statements that could mean different things.
- "I've heard the final specs for XYZ console is more powerful"
- "I've heard the Dev Kit for XYZ console is more powerful"

Not trying to say what I think is true (my bet has already been stated) but just saying I personally place no weight on a dev kit spec 17 months before launch.

Oct 25, 2017
They are in NO state, based on history. For Scorpio, which was a pretty simple bring-up that went very well, the first chips booted on a board in December 2016. The first real dev kit (that looked like a final console) didn't go out until March 2017.

Historically, for a FULL next-gen launch final Dev Kits aren't usually even out until Summer the year of launch. Although prototype boards get better monthly starting the holiday before.

My point is that I'm ignoring any comments about Dev Kits. Without more detail, that information is sort of meaningless. Dev Kits nearly always have more power than the final console (necessary for PC ports) and probably have to be SUPER beefy now since they have to use current PC parts to try and allow development of next-gen features.

In my opinion (for what that's worth) you must separate two statements that could mean different things.

Not trying to say what I think is true (my bet has already been stated) but just saying I personally place no weight on a dev kit spec 17 months before launch.

Thanks Albert!
<3

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
It's got to the point where I just dip into this thread to see if there are any new developments and then swiftly nope out because of all this nonsense.

The amount of vitriol spewed over the most legitimate rumour we have, of every rumour, is hilarious.

Of course you would take this tact anthony. Had he said Xbox was more powerful than PS5 you would be screaming it from the rooftops though. You wouldn't be poo-pooing his credentials and sources at every opportunity.

Reiner's statements are the most legitimate info we have on the relative power of the consoles currently whether you like it or not. Xbox may still end up being more powerful, who knows, but at the moment the best source we have says PS5 is more powerful.

Can you point me to both sources please.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
5700 XT is same TDP as RX 580.

Xbox One X GPU TDP is 150W, and basically a RX 580 with more CU and less MHz

So they'll likely do the same again to be more power efficient, more CU, less clocks
Which still ended up being lower than the boost on the rx 580, which is my point: we wont have a stronger gpu in a console than the rx 5700XT, meaning below 10TF.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

LOL, Albert actually bringing some logic to things.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017

Thank you!

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still chortling about what that one person brought up. Before (ps5 > xbox) any rumor from anaconda was pushed, now its like "woah, woah, its to early to call."

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

Stop it with the common sense! ;)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Then again back in june 2012 we got the exact gpu performance level of the ps4 from the dev kit, which shows that least in the past sony didnt give developers stronger hardware than the final console.
So are you saying that the ps5 is faster than the devkits of scarlett, that are faster than the final scarlett? My point is, that looking historically the ps4s gpu at this point in time was very much representative of the final machine

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Then again back in june 2012 we got the exact gpu performance level of the ps4 from the dev kit, which shows that least in the past sony didnt give developers stronger hardware than the final console.
So are you saying that the ps5 is faster than the devkits of scarlett, that are faster than the final scarlett? My point is, that looking historically the ps4s gpu at this point in time was very much representative of the final machine

Maybe we should take what Penello says as what it is: potentially representative of what MS was/is doing and that's about it.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

What needed to be said but will not satisfy anyone because everyone wants answers now :D

To extrapolate on this timeline, anyone claiming to have a dev kit from which they are calculating die size is lying. We won't see those dev kits until next year.

Mecha Meister threadmark please

Last edited:

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO

Now I must find this lol....thanks for the insight though!

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
LOL, Albert actually bringing some logic to things.

After what Albert said about the relative power of the PS4 and XBO before they were released I would take anything he says with a huge grain of salt.

Can you point me to both sources please.

Have a look back through the thread. Editor in chief at game informer states when he spoke to developers at E3 they said that the PS5 dev kits are more powerful than the Scarlett ones.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017

But 17 months before launch Orbis(ps4) devkit had more GPU power 1.8TF than Durango(xbox one) devkit. And the power difference still remained in the final retail product.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I thought that was common sense for eg PS4 final devs kit went out summer of the same year it came out.
All the info\ rumours we getting base on devs kit that will change in time.

Devs had the final PS4 kits at the beginning of 2013 (or before that). Remember the leaked DS4 prototype controller? It was leaked at Feb 15th 2013.

In that picture you see the exact same devkits they've been using for ages.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

This is where the confusion is and is why I mentioned the dev kit documents earlier. The June 2012 PS4 dev kit was still PC-based but the documents listed very detailed and final specs. The real hardware kits went out from around late 2012 to FP and then after the reveal in February 2013 to TP.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
I'm still chortling about what that one person brought up. Before (ps5 > xbox) any rumor from anaconda was pushed, now its like "woah, woah, its to early to call."

We all know this goes both ways. I remember seeing many posts about how we won't be seeing a difference if Anaconda is 20% more powerful and that power won't help worldwide sales.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This makes sense. As time goes on, dev kits change specs. It's certainly possible that the ps5 dev kit is more powerful than anaconda right now. Since it's so earlier, that doesn't really hold any weight. This time next year, the anaconda dev kit could be more powerful. On the other hand, this time next year, the ps5 dev kit could still be more powerful.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

This makes a lot sense. Thanks for sharing Albert.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This is where the confusion is and is why I mentioned the dev kit documents earlier. The June 2012 PS4 dev kit was still PC-based but the documents listed very detailed and final specs. The real hardware kits went out from around late 2012 to FP and then after the reveal in February 2013 to TP.
In that case doesnt it mean that developers likely already have the spec sheet? Which is why they are saying that one is stronger than the other?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
FWIW, Reiner responded to a tweet asking how devs could know if dev kits are not out for both - Reiner said 'specs are discussed beforehand'. So it sounds like what he heard is based on the current state of target specs for the systems, not the current state of dev kits per se.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
There is no way Microsoft will be giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony, so let's wait for the final specs before we discuss the devkit rumours.

Feb 26, 2018
So how come other insiders claimed that Snek is gonna be more powerful if the dev kits dont exist yet?
And its kinda strange that we are comparing next gen and midgen refresh dev kits.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
FWIW, Reiner responded to a tweet asking how devs could know if dev kits are not out for both - Reiner said 'specs are discussed beforehand'. So it sounds like what he heard is based on the current state of target specs for the systems, not the current state of dev kits per se.
Huh, very interesting.
Going back to Penello's latest post, final specs and dev kit specs (this early) are going to be different.
Not by a large factor, iirc phil said that the silicon is locked so mostly only the clock speeds can change at this point, and probably not by a significant amount.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Of course there are no final kits year and probably won't be for a year. But developers works under a target hardware.

The definitely have target specs and, likely, development environment devkits, at this point. That they don't have final silicon devkits is both obvious and mostly meaningless.

There is no way Microsoft will be giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony, so let's wait for the final specs before we discuss the devkit rumours.

*slow clap*

Beautiful, beautiful.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
From the start the belief that Gonzalo is the PS5 is just a wild theory. What we know is that it's a gaming APU. Everything else is pure speculation based on one wrong assumption and flagrant omissions.

Wrong assumption than BC need exact same clocks (it doesn't, actually, hardware BC as described in the patent should need different clocks because of inevitable different cache latencies, particulary using a new GPU arch).

Omission than the second model is 1670 instead of 1600. So the second model numbers are ommitted to build the nice PS5 theory with 1600 mhz base clocks.

Omission that the similar numbers on the PS4 and Pro models mean totally something else, definitely not clocks. And that the pattern of all the characters is quite different than Gonzalo characters pattern.

Omission that consoles APUs don't have neither base clocks nor boost clocks.

More flops? Maybe it's GCN flops vs Navi flops.

PS5 using Vega confirmed.
Actually he says 2 things: PS5 dev-kit is more powerful and has more flops.

Maybe we should take what Penello says as what it is: potentially representative of what MS was/is doing and that's about it.
Exactly. he just told us that in his experience, Microsoft way of doing things, dev-kits are usually stronger. Scorpio dev-kits are still stronger than XBX retail console. It's not like that for Sony, see modiz last post above.

With that being said, how can PS5 dev-kits be more powerful while having more flops than Scarlet dev-kits ? Since when MS send underpowered dev-kits to devs ? It doesn't make any sense. And if they sent VEGA dev-kits, would they send 9 tflops GCN dev-kits when >12 tflops GCN GPUs are widely available ?

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
XS5LK.gif

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
If we go by say PS4 near final PS5 kits will be out January next year .
The final version more software base than hardware changes .

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

Sony do final spec kits and then later (like for the summer 2013 PS4 kits) mass produced kits. Did the same for Pro.

In that case doesnt it mean that developers likely already have the spec sheet? Which is why they are saying that one is stronger than the other?

I think it is possible written/PDF documents list specs as we have precedent in Sony's case. It would need to be the case for Microsoft too for devs to say one is stronger, though.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Going back to Penello's latest post, final specs and dev kit specs (this early) are going to be different.

I think the suggestion is that devs are getting the current target for final specs, and that's what devs were comparing wrt Reiner's original tweet.

Of course those things are certainly subject to change.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not by a large factor, iirc phil said that the silicon is locked so mostly only the clock speeds can change at this point, and probably not by a significant amount.

Yeah sure, that's a good point. I'm curious if the dev kit power could essentially flip. For example, early ps5/anaconda dev kits less powerful than ps5/anaconda dev kits and then late ps5/anaconda dev kits more powerful than ps5/anaconda dev kits.

Sony do final spec kits and then later (like for the summer 2013 PS4 kits) mass produced kits. Did the same for Pro.

Very interesting. Do you know if MS does that too?

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
So how come other insiders claimed that Snek is gonna be more powerful if the dev kits dont exist yet?
From what I recall, they used terminology like "aim to be the most powerful/advanced"... Seems they didn't believe Sony would be taking the same route, therfore no mention of a 2 SKU-plan for Scarlett at E3.

Honestly, this is the absolute best case scenario! 😊
Sony and Microsoft going at it, both aiming to create monsters! 😁👏

No Lockhart, no nothing... Just:

giphy.gif

SO I SAY:

giphy.gif

Rylen

Feb 5, 2019
Which still ended up being lower than the boost on the rx 580

I mean that's literally what I said

Another
Which still ended up being lower than the boost on the rx 580, which is my point: we wont have a stronger gpu in a console than the rx 5700XT, meaning below 10TF.

Each Dual CU will only add around 4-5mm.

So the die space is available for more CU's if the 390mm rumors are correct.

When GCN launched they added 20% performance by adding more CU's and lowering clock rates just 2.5%.

The power draw increased by a small 5%

March 2012: 7870 Ghz (GCN 1st Gen)
1280 Shaders
1000 MHz
2.56 TF
175w TDP

November 2012: 7870 XT (GCN 1st Gen)
1536 Shaders
975 MHz
3 TF
185w TDP

Status