• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I'm still stunned at TLOU2 gameplay we've seen and that "next gen" animation blending they're doing. I cannot actually imagine what they'll do on hardware that's a massive leap up from the PS4/Pro. I feel like we're going to get a super enjoyable console to use, fast and snappy, and a feeling of little compromise when it comes to the graphics, unlike perhaps how we feel now with 3rd parties up against PC. I feel like the consoles are going to be much closer and on par than this current generation has been. Can't honestly wait. Hopefully Sony can give us enhanced BC cos I really want rock solid 60fps/4K enhanced games from this gen.

I've wondered if motion matching will be improved beyond TLOU2 in the next gen, or if it's more that we'll just see it in every game rather than a single really advanced one.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Still remember rumor that xbox is more "advanced" so maybe rdna 2?;) and sony with rdna 1 but with own ray tracing implementation
Maybe. But we can also remember than the 2 previous Sony consoles where more advanced than Xbox consoles. And Sony last one was released one year before the Xbox and was still more advanced.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are getting really hung up on the whole "custom designed" and "collaborated with" when it comes to Sony and Microsoft working with AMD. I remember these arguments back in the early parts of this generation with Xbox using custom parts and PS4 using "off the shelf" components and it turned out that both of them were pretty much identical with customizations here and there. I feel this is what's going to happen again. It's kind of like Microsoft not wanting to say Jaguar CPU in the One X and choosing the say custom designed CPU, and people fell for the PR, and it's really just jaguar. Also how people took the FP16 features of the PS4 Pro and overblew them. With it having that feature of Vega, I'm sure Sony and Microsoft get to choose which customizations they want to add to their next gen consoles but it's not like they're going to be gamechanging customizations.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I still expect the RTX 2060 to be next gens 750 Ti, aka the PC card that will match or beat console perfomance and console settings at console resolutions throughout next gen. At the absolute most I expect the ceiling to be the RTX 2070 but I really doubt that is going to happen outside of some cherry picked benchmarks.

A 2060/2070 level GPU, proper PC level 8 core CPU, and PCIe4 level SSD will be a fantastic baseline for the next gen

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I don't have the means to quote it right now, but Benji mentioned an interesting Phil Spencer quote on Twitter. Mainly that he supposedly confirmed cross-gen games on Scarlett will be upgraded with no extra fees. Have we talked about that? I know I've seen plenty of debate as to whether or not we'll get two SKU's of cross-gen titles.
No, he didn't confirm it. You would have to watch the Giant Bomb interview for the exact quote, but I believe he stated his expectations are that the process would be similar to 360 BC

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Thanks, Colbert for the update. Goes in line with what I am personally expecting. To the letter. My range or Navi was 10TF -10.5TF. Which falls within my GCN range of 10-12TF lol.

I am curious as to the Mem bandwidth thing though. That a lot of potential bandwidth for sony to give u just to use a cheaper PCB.... especially if also using GDDR6.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
A 2060/2070 level GPU, proper PC level 8 core CPU, and PCIe4 level SSD will be a fantastic baseline for the next gen

Indeed, I'm very happy with how these consoles are shaping up. Not to mention that with CBR and VRS they can punch above their weight performance wise with minimal impact on the graphics quality.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Don't look at 1080p as cpu is limiting here and also amd drivers is not as good as nvidia's and it's more visible in lower resolution. Also nextgen consoles will not target 1080p (hopefully lockhart is dead)

I hope so to.

That said, imagine what Anaconda and PS5 could do graphically, if an AAA developer targeted 1080p, choosing to push the most "CGI-like" visuals as they can.
i.e. Toy Story in KH3, but going much further. Nobody should be barred from doing that, and yet another reason Lockhart is a bad idea. If Anaconda was used to do something utterly spectacular like a realtime version of Toy Story 2 or 3 (or insert your favorite CG movie/cutscene) in 1080p, where who that leave Lockhart, sub HD?
Obviously things like that would be the exception, not the rule.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Thanks, Colbert for the update. Goes in line with what I am personally expecting. To the letter. My range or Navi was 10TF -10.5TF. Which falls within my GCN range of 10-12TF lol.

I am curious as to the Mem bandwidth thing though. That a lot of potential bandwidth for sony to give u just to use a cheaper PCB.... especially if also using GDDR6.
Navi's larger caches will help reduce memory bandwidth dependency.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes! Bet is on :)

I say One of the consoles will be at least 12.9tf or more, you say 10.7tf or less. Week long avatar bet.

If it happens to be in between, like 11.somthing we'll call it a stalemate. Sound good?
DEAL!
If you lose, you have to wear this for a week:
5mXQrit.png

Last edited:

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Hey now, Lisa did say it very clearly.
PS5 = "Next generation Radeon archictureS"
XBox="RDNA"
It's pretty clear to me this confirms PS5 is the amalgation of all the future GPU architectures AMD plans to build, while new XBox is just a Navi.
That's a weird assumption. Wasn't Sony who wanted "desperately" Navi for their hardware and now MS uses exclusively it meanwhile sony adds next gen stuff to their Navi? Doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
XBox="RDNA"
It's pretty clear to me this confirms PS5 is the amalgation of all the future GPU architectures AMD plans to build, while new XBox is just a Navi.

Sony:
"Working collaboratively with Sony over the last few years to build a custom chip based on the Zen 2 and next gen Radeon Architectures."

Microsoft:
"Custom Processor co-engineered between our team and the Microsoft team, with one goal in mind, to deliver the ultimate gaming experience. It uses our Zen 2 CPU Core and next generation Radeon RDNA gaming graphics architecture."

giphy.gif

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
XBox="RDNA"
They both said Navi. The rest is PR fluff until we get architecture details. We don't even know if their HW RT implementations are the same or derived from RDNA 2.0, as likely as that may be.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
That's a weird assumption. Wasn't Sony who wanted "desperately" Navi for their hardware and now MS uses exclusively it meanwhile sony adds a next gen stuff to their Navi? Doesn't make sense to me.

They both said Navi. The rest is PR fluff until we get architecture details. We don't even know if their HW RT implementations are the same or derived from RDNA 2.0, as likely as that may be.

tenor.gif

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It is still of some interest that Microsoft specifically said "real-time hardware accelerated ray tracing" explicitly as compared to what Sony said about ray tracing, and it will remain that way until Sony provides further detail on their ray tracing implementation. I know that one of the mods on here Matt said that he had heard they will both have some type of hardware ray tracing, but there is a whole spectrum of what that could mean of course in practice until both sides reveal the architectures fully.

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
Question to the known devs in here about RT:

I'm curious, do you expect RT to play a big role in next-gen console games?

Or are we still likely to see baked lighting and more novel approximations be prevalent?

cc Locuza, 40KAl, Fafalada
I'm just a layman not a dev.

But I think every answer from today's standpoint will be vague even if you are asking a dev.
I expect rather limited integration of ray tracing and see the current Geforce RTX hardware as a usable reference point.

I can't imagine AMD launching Epyc 2 without AVX512 and, since those would be basically Zen 2 modules, I'd imagine the design is able to support it, so it would be a matter of downporting the feature.

If they do launch Epyc 2 without AVX512 then damn, wtf AMD?

Vector maths can massively speed up some common coding structures (i.e. loops), and AVX512 can handle really wide loops, so it would be a massive boost to code execution on the CPU. Besides that, there's a bunch of speculative uses for CPU vector maths, from pathfinding and AI to RT. It's less about new things (and I'm not well versed in this enough to be able to imagine new things nonetheless) and more about making current thing much, much faster (so you can imagine more of them and better).
There is no AVX512 support in Zen 2.
AMD kept it simple and made an upgrade from 128-Bit pipes to 256-Bit.
They use relatively lightweight cores and more of them.
For multithreaded applications you still get good vector performance.

I dunno why they've decided to call CUs what is essentially half of a multiprocessor - and call the last one Work Group Processor. But yeah, there's 10 WGPs in Navi 10, each comprised of two "CUs". One could argue that WGP is actually a new CU in RDNA as it mostly fits the same requirement as a CU did in GCN.
[...] We don't know really. Looking at this you could argue that one RDNA SIMD is able to do what you're describing as "CU" as each of them have its own scheduler now. The fact that two of RDNA "CUs" share caches and LDS mean more than what unit is able to fetch/decode/etc. It's clear that AMD tried to fit the new h/w into GCN metrics to make comparisons easier but I wonder if they've muddied the waters so to speak while doing so. Thus far what GCN had as a CU was basically an equivalent of NV's multiprocessor (SM, streaming multiprocessor), with RDNA this seem to change with CU being a pair of SIMDs while four of them (same as in GCN, btw) comprise a WGP (note the P there which stands for "processor" too) - which seem to suit NV's SM metrics better than RDNA's CU would.
RDNA has multiple working modes on different levels.

Wave32 or Wave64 is used depending on the workload.
Depending on the circumstances Wave32 or Wave64 is more efficient.

On a higher level a RDNA Compute Unit can still be compared to one GCN Compute Unit because under RDNA a Compute Unit can still work indepentendly.
Every Compute Unit can work on a Workgroup, which is also called CU mode, where the registers and caches are all exclusive per Compute Unit.

But it's also possible to have two Compute Units working on a Workgroup together and sharing ressources, this is called WGP (Work Group Processor) mode.

Last edited:

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Navi's larger caches will help reduce memory bandwidth dependency.
Yh I get that much from that nexus guy youtube breakdown. But if there is a choice to go with a 384bit bus ad still ony have 16GB'ish of RAM... then why not do it? What the benefit of gong with a smaller 256bit bus? Less space is taken up in the chip for mem controllers? Less power draw? Cheaper PCB

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yh I get that much from that nexus guy youtube breakdown. But if there is a choice to go with a 384bit bus ad still ony have 16GB'ish of RAM... then why not do it? What the benefit of gong with a smaller 256bit bus? Less space is taken up in the chip for mem controllers? Less power draw? Cheaper PCB

Smaller PCB, less die space usage, less power used by less amount of chips and less buses.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Correct on the first two. Won't impact PCB cost.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
It is still of some interest that Microsoft specifically said "real-time hardware accelerated ray tracing" explicitly as compared to what Sony said about ray tracing, and it will remain that way until Sony provides further detail on their ray tracing implementation. I know that one of the mods on here Matt said that he had heard they will both have some type of hardware ray tracing, but there is a whole spectrum of what that could mean of course in practice until both sides reveal the architectures fully.
Matt already confirmed Sony using hardware too.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Around 7 minutes-ish into the video. Wave64 seems to behave a bit worse when it stalls due to dependencies. Not by much, but it's there. They also highlight the Wave32 is the shortest execution path.
Well, a wider wave will have a bigger impact when it stalls due to the nature of a wider wave - it has more data in it. It will also have a bigger waste of resources if only part of said wave goes into execution. That's expected. The question is if there are any benefits at all to running 64 wide waves over 32 ones.

Yup, I had the same thought. And we have no idea what their approach to denoising is.
All current DXR titles denoising were pure compute added to TAA routines. Denoising is kinda trivial.

I'm not sure it tells us much about the 'how' of the implementation, as much as that they'll, in some form, support instructions for bvh intersection tests. I guess it's still a wide open question how that'll be implemented? Or if it'll be accelerated in all the same ways, as in RTX.
Them highlighting BVH intersection tests point to this being their primary acceleration point. Why would they highlight this portion specifically otherwise? I agree that there are many options in how they may approach the acceleration though.

On the PrSh / NGG fastpath diffrrence, AMD definitely makes a clear distinction between the two. Check the Vega whitepaper.

When you say Primitive Shaders are still implimented on the CUs, are you referring to the geometry after the degenrate primitives have been discarded?

I don't know but I kinda assumed the Primitive Shaders were simply a more programmable version of Polaris's fixed function Primitive Discard Accelerator.
The way I understand it the primitive shader runs on incoming geometry stream and culls invisible triangles. This workload is handled by general ALUs as it would be with any shader. Vega isn't really a great reference as neither work as intended on it so we can't really know what they intended for either.

Asynch-compute?

Is denoising so computationally intensive that something like Tensor Cores are needed - or is it a memory access issue?

Does RTX even use Tensor cores for denoising, because I thought I read somewhere NVidia still uses CUDA cores for it.
NV has tensor denoiser but no one uses it. One reason is likely because it would tie your code to NVAPI as said denoiser isn't accessible through DX (or wasn't until DXML release with Win10 1903 at least). Another is that tensors seemingly can't run alongside main SIMDs due to internal b/w constraints which means that you can use either/or anyway.

RDNA has multiple working modes on different levels.

Wave32 or Wave64 is used depending on the workload.
Depending on the circumstances Wave32 or Wave64 is more efficient.

On a higher level a RDNA Compute Unit can still be compared to one GCN Compute Unit because under RDNA a Compute Unit can still work indepentendly.
Every Compute Unit can work on a Workgroup, which is also called CU mode, where the registers and caches are all exclusive per Compute Unit.

But it's also possible to have two Compute Units working on a Workgroup together and sharing ressources, this is called WGP (Work Group Processing) mode.
I don't know if this answers any of my questions really. My point still stands: instead of calling half of WGP a "CU" they would be better off calling the WGP a new CU, much like NV did back with Maxwell for example, calling the new SM "SMX".

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, expecting anything more than 10TF Navi is unrealistic at this point - unless next gen consoles won't use the same process as Navi 10.

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
[...]
I don't know if this answers any of my questions really. My point still stands: instead of calling half of WGP a "CU" they would be better off calling the WGP a new CU, much like NV did back with Maxwell for example, calling the new SM "SMX".
You could argue either way because it's kinda in the middle of it.

For example in WGP mode you have 4x SIMD32 working on the same Workgroup, sharing the registers (2x256KB) and LDS but the TMUs and the L0$ is still per CU (2xSIMD32).
That's not the case with an Nvidia SM or GCN Compute Unit, where everything is shared.

In CU mode a Workgroup is executed by one Compute Unit (2xSIMD32) using 256KB of registers, half of the LDS and its own TMUs + L0$.

You could of course take the freedom and call 4xSIMD32 (WGP mode) a Compute Unit but then you would need a name for CU mode and what half of the WGP (or half of the Compute Unit then) should be called.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
lol haha.

i will wear the 12 tflops shame badge too. YOLO!
Technically should we? In all fairness, most of us made our 12TF prediction at a time when we were calculating based on GCN flops. Now It's clear that 9.7TF'ish Navi flops is about equivalent to a 12TF GCN card. And if those consoles comen at anything over 10TF then they are about 12TF+ compared to a GCN card.

Basically, we have an out.....

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I firmly believe the same TF of Stadia at the worst. Though if I'm not wrong doesn't Sony and MS said to want to overtake the Stadia TF?
Question is are you talking about RDNA 10.7TF? Or 8.56TF?

One matches the stadia numerically, but the Stadia would need around 13.3TF to match it, the other matches the Stadia in performance but will have a smaller TF number.

Status
Not open for further replies.