• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
What is the reasonable expectation here? Console GPU based on 5700 or something beyond that already has RT tech incorporated into it from AMD, given that the consoles do not come to market (in all likelihood) before holiday 2020?
5700 is $379. Probably 5700 Lite?
They need to allocate space for Ray Tracing.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My take on reading things over the last year and through E3 now is that it does seem likely that Sony had originally planned PS5 for a 2019 launch and delayed to 2020, so the PS5 and Anaconda will likely end up being pretty close in overall system components and power at launch. It is certainly even possible that one system could end up having a paper TFLOPS advantage and not be the best performing console in real gaming scenarios depending on the overall architectural decisions. They are both going to make great next gen consoles that apparently will both have SSDs and some form of ray tracing.

I do think it is fair to point out in terms of co-engineering and partnership with AMD on next gen SOCs that Microsoft has at least been more willing to be right out there front and center in available opportunities with AMD, including Phil Spencer at CES with Lisa Su in January. Microsoft was on stage with Lisa Su at her Computex keynote in front of a slide titled 'Deep Partnership' with a picture of an Xbox One X on it, and Lisa asked the woman to talk about how their relationship has changed and gotten deeper, and she says that they got together 2 years ago to plan the next generation of Ryzen. And then they both act excited about "next level" secrets in their work together on graphics, gaming and cloud. She also said that they have "completely moved the needle in how they approach co-development together".

And then of course you have the exact words that Lisa shared yesterday during the AMD E3 briefing about both PS5 and Project Scarlett that show even if you want to simply say it was their provided PR to AMD that Microsoft is really wanting that continued message about co-engineering and deep partnership to come through clearly.

Lisa Su on PS5: "Working collaboratively with Sony over the last few years to build a custom chip based on the Zen 2 and next gen Radeon Architectures."

Lisa Su on Project Scarlett: "Custom Processor co-engineered between our team and the Microsoft team, with one goal in mind, to deliver the ultimate gaming experience. It uses our Zen 2 cpu core and next generation Radeon RDNA gaming graphics architecture."

Given that Navi will be more power efficient in general than Vega and even some of the Sony patents about cooling and rumors about HBM memory, maybe it wouldn't be shocking to see a small TFLOPS advantage in a PS5 over Anaconda. This could even explain some early dev kit rumors that the Game Informer editor had heard about PS5 being more powerful in the dev kits (he clarified later it was based on supposed TFLOPS).

I would also note that even the internal Microsoft marketing materials that were shared on here with verbiage about Anaconda always said "performance leader" and not "world's most powerful console" wording. Phil Spencer has repeatedly talked about performance and frame rate for next gen including in a recent post E3 interview with Engadget about Project Scarlett. Mike Ybarra from Microsoft was interviewed by Windows Central and said that games playing best on their system was still very important to the team when asked about Scarlett versus PS5.

It would not be crazy to think that we end up with a PS5 that could claim "most powerful" based on a small traditional TFLOPS advantage, and a Project Scarlett Anaconda next generation Xbox that ends up performing better in real world gaming scenarios based on the co-engineering SOC work with AMD and their own API level design and work with DXR and Variable Rate Shading for example.
yeah, there's always that chance.

I would think the introductions to both companies were made by each respective PR teams though, but I'm going to outright say that doesn't mean I'm rejecting there's a possibility Microsoft's collaboration with AMD is much more significant than Sony. Everything is still up in the air.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
guys, do you remember how many months before the release of Ps4 ans Xbox one we had all the info or at least some confirmed specs from the companies??

Durango and Orbis codenames in January 2012, complete specs for both in January 2013.

XB O X even had near complete specs and Tflop count a year and half before release.

Seems things are different now with these next-gen consoles since literally every component in them is new technology even the motherboard tech and things need to be teste , checked and tweaked a lot further before the final decision.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
5700 is $379. Probably 5700 Lite?
They need to allocate space for Ray Tracing.

Comparing which card (well technically the GPU chip) forms the foundation of next gen console is less about price and more about features that is part of future proofing it for usage over their lifespans especially. None of the cards showed off yesterday featured any HW RT solutions.

And now I am wondering whether the upper end cards will feature it or whether MS and Sony and AMD partnered with another tech company to integrate HW support for said feature in their SoCs.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
no way there is microsoft gave chance to a sony be the Performance Leader I more trust in the BIG hint phil spencer do at them conference then a only tweet exciting unconfirmed (first party haha lol) developers they can call fanboy because I chose to believe vp head of xbox insted of random change of narrative anonymous sources

I present my evidence:

crossfirea9k56.jpg

when vp spencer take the stage in announce crossfire he was only not announce new game but teasing the incredible work see will from Panay just think about it panay has added crossfire to P R O J E C T S C A R L E T T anaconda (the true performance leader( will actually is 2 lockearts in crossfire just about think it makes much sense and why not I believe just the words of journalist when it benefits PS5 change of narrative Xbox having crossfire locks the definatevly superior console to sony because you will link many xboxes using crossfire with deep partnership with doctor lisa shu and panos panay )))
Kayle, is that you?

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Matt already confirmed that PS5 has hardware RT too so you can probably drop this theory.
Can people stop saying this? Matt said this and Matt said that. I feel like people are saying this because they can't entertain the idea that NextBox has something that PS5 won't have. And i think Matt is speculating on this subject as well.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Sony planned for a 2019 launch. The whole point of the mid-gen console was to help soften the blow of another long generation. Then there are their big titles that are still to be released. Then as we approached, the timeline on when advancements in place can line up with cost started to put 2020 even more into line.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
What is the reasonable expectation here? Console GPU based on 5700 or something beyond that already has RT tech incorporated into it from AMD, given that the consoles do not come to market (in all likelihood) before holiday 2020?

The consoles will be based on Navi. They are each their own instantiation of Navi, like the 5700 is. The 5700 gives us an idea of Navi's core performance per watt that you could try to extrapolate from. Navis next year, including console Navis, might be a bit different to Navis this year - in terms of, for example, the inclusion of RT stuff - but I'm guessing the core thermal and wattage characteristics won't be hugely different next year. So the 5700 is probably a good guide on those lines. I think it's clearer to say, though, that each of these parts, be it console or PC, are based on Navi, rather than one part being based on another part. Each is a distinct part, and the 5700 and XT gives us a first idea of what an instance of Navi can be like.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe he can use the time off to learn how to write properly.

I think this is unwarranted seeing that he was clearly a non-native english speaker. Shame on you.

I for one I'm sad to see him gone even if I had him on ignore for more than a year now. I guess he already caught a month-long ban before. O well

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Can people stop saying this? Matt said this and Matt said that. I feel like people are saying this because they can't entertain the idea that NextBox has something that PS5 won't have. And i think Matt is speculating on this subject as well.

Why ?
Matt has been giving info since Gaf days for years .
He has a proven track record and he does not mice words .

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Not really. I did not knock them for mentioning "8K" or "VRR" because they essentially mentioned specs for HDMI 2.1 and neither of them will be used on a regular basis if at all for gaming unless you have the hardware and software support.

My bone to pick were with aforementioned aspects because we will never see resolutions beyond 4K in next gen games and/or 120fps (barring exceptions and perhaps for BC titles). It is literally like pulling numbers from the void, without context and presenting them as comparative improvements that will implemented as part of next standards. This is far more egregious than stating bandwidth numbers for RAM or Storage I/O or TF value which are innately tied to the performance of a system.

I remember Sony pulling a very similar stunt with PS3 reveal. There are times when you can smell the bullshit right away because within the context of existing and expected performance paradigms, these come off an absolute outliers.

uhhh.. doesnt titanfall 2 supersample above 4k on the X right now? dynamically, but has resolutions over 4k?

"To quickly recap, our first hands-on with the Xbox One X upgrade did confirm that Respawn has deployed dynamic super-sampling technology - which can, in theory, scale resolution beyond 4K pixel-counts in order to keep the Scorpio Engine's six teraflop GPU fully tapped out.... "

so we have seen it already. Is it perfect? No, but it will happen with these next machines. count on it. 120fps is also up to the developer, too.... Talking in absolutes before the machines are even out is stupid af imo.

Slayerfolyfe

Apr 30, 2018
Forgive me I'm a noob in these things and don't browse this thread regularly but how much Tflops does Navi translate into in Vega's? Also didn't Jason say that both were aiming for above 10.7 so where are these sub 10 flops expectations coming from?

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Forgive me I'm a noob in these things and don't browse this thread regularly but how much Tflops does Navi translate into in Vega's? Also didn't Jason say that both were aiming for above 10.7 so where are these sub 10 flops expectations coming from?
I think that the new GPU's from AMD are said to be max 9.7 tflops or something to that effect. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

Damn is the same grammar, isn't it?

I think 1 Navi = 1.25 Vega

Regarding Jason's statement they could aim for 10.7 but fall short 10% and end up being 9.75.

But at the end of the day, does it matter really if it's 11TF or 10TF?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
uhhh.. doesnt titanfall 2 supersample above 4k on the X right now? dynamically, but has resolutions over 4k?

"To quickly recap, our first hands-on with the Xbox One X upgrade did confirm that Respawn has deployed dynamic super-sampling technology - which can, in theory, scale resolution beyond 4K pixel-counts in order to keep the Scorpio Engine's six teraflop GPU fully tapped out.... "

so we have seen it already. Is it perfect? No, but it will happen with these next machines. count on it. 120fps is also up to the developer, too.... Talking in absolutes before the machines are even out is stupid af imo.
They talked about how much in theory could they render, but iirc in game it doesnt surpass native 4k, but they cant output over a 4k resolution, they can only render above it and downsample, with hdmi 2.1 support they can output in over 4k resolution.

Nivek

Banned
Apr 24, 2019
PS5 looks certain to take the power crown back.
Since the early 2018 epsilon leak showed sony wanting that.
RT cores probably ate into that 14.2 teraflop figure.

Jan 17, 2019
And maybe it does outperform the PS5 dev kit.

For now it doesn't. Which info is most reliable: an info from an insider who knows crap about PS5 or tweet from a well known journalist who talked with devs which work on both systems?

You know its very likely 99% of those rumors were fake right? When compared to the executive editor of game informer who has a lot of connections in the industry, a pastebin post is worth shit.

Funny thing is that he said he will buy the most powerful system out there next year, whichever platform it would be in the end, yet he lost his mind after Reiner's tweet.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, there's always that chance.

I would think the introductions to both companies were made by each respective PR teams though, but I'm going to outright say that doesn't mean I'm rejecting there's a possibility Microsoft's collaboration with AMD is much more significant than Sony. Everything is still up in the air.

I agree that those statements by Lisa Su yesterday at E3 were likely provided by both Sony and Microsoft, but that is kind of the point that I was making. Microsoft is not shying away at all from putting out the clear message about this co-engineering approach and even "ultimate gaming experience" goal in what Lisa said yesterday. In fact the official Project Scarlett page on the Xbox site says "Project Scarlett will set a new bar for console power, speed and performance". So Microsoft is definitely not shying away from their goals with Project Scarlett in their messaging so far.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Oh yes, I completely forgot about titanfall 2. One thing to remember that X and Pro run games designed to run on base console with feature parity with higher resolution.

Are we truly expecting next gen games with never before seen fidelity in console space featuring RT usage (depends on which devs implement it and to what extent) to run at resolutions beyond 4K natively or be run at 120fps? As a reminder I did mention there being exceptions (so no, I do not speak in absolutes) but assuming that these numbers will be reflected in big budget traditional AAA titles feels thoroughly unrealistic.

The consoles will be based on Navi. They are each their own instantiation of Navi, like the 5700 is. The 5700 gives us an idea of Navi's core performance per watt that you could try to extrapolate from. Navis next year, including console Navis, might be a bit different to Navis this year - in terms of, for example, the inclusion of RT stuff - but I'm guessing the core thermal and wattage characteristics won't be hugely different next year. So the 5700 is probably a good guide on those lines. I think it's clearer to say, though, that each of these parts, be it console or PC, are based on Navi, rather than one part being based on another part. Each is a distinct part, and the 5700 and XT gives us a first idea of what an instance of Navi can be like.

Thank you. That sounds very reasonable. Can you speculate whether limiting the GPU to 40 CUs provides area for something akin to Turing cores?

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019

No. The Naught Dog Dev confirmed this a while ago. So no people will not stop saying that. Obviously Matt knows something.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Best part is consoles need to reduce clock for thermals, allocate space for CPU and HW RT cores. Without console restrictions, vanilla 5700 is 7.95 TFlops, which could be the best a console can reach.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
For now it doesn't. Which info is most reliable: an info from an insider who knows crap about PS5 or tweet from a well known journalist who talked with devs which work on both systems?

Funny thing is that he said he will buy the most powerful system out there next year, yet he lost his mind after Reiner's tweet.
It's all just rumors at this point. And most powerful doesn't necessarily mean best performing.

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
You know thats a game right and not amd's crossfire for multi gpu.

I know it game.... but it also secret code from panay and spencer to xbox family can be confident we are Performance Leaders we can make our own SKU... remember xbox said they invented something new for there conference... something new... panos panay, phil spencer under direction of nadella and unprecedented partnership with doctor lisa shu invented crossfire... exclusive to project scarlett ... power is important to xbox and MS for next generation... no way they allow sony to be undisputed performance leaders... inventing crossfire for console ensures the dominance of the teraflops and gives choice to gamers...

you can call a fanboy but then we also have:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9yr10p/next_gen_consoles_in_crossfire/

https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-2019/2019/06/09/crossfire-x-blasting-onto-xbox-one-first

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/aoswrw/future_of_crossfire_and_navi/

seriosly people on these topic underestimate the monster that is Microsoft of a company... like lego, not, like minecraft, scarlett will be the building block of new era of gaming...

also not related totally... people in this topioc insult people with broken english.... but I preffer get broken english than broken heart...

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
My take on reading things over the last year and through E3 now is that it does seem likely that Sony had originally planned PS5 for a 2019 launch and delayed to 2020, so the PS5 and Anaconda will likely end up being pretty close in overall system components and power at launch. It is certainly even possible that one system could end up having a paper TFLOPS advantage and not be the best performing console in real gaming scenarios depending on the overall architectural decisions. They are both going to make great next gen consoles that apparently will both have SSDs and some form of ray tracing.

I do think it is fair to point out in terms of co-engineering and partnership with AMD on next gen SOCs that Microsoft has at least been more willing to be right out there front and center in available opportunities with AMD, including Phil Spencer at CES with Lisa Su in January. Microsoft was on stage with Lisa Su at her Computex keynote in front of a slide titled 'Deep Partnership' with a picture of an Xbox One X on it, and Lisa asked the woman to talk about how their relationship has changed and gotten deeper, and she says that they got together 2 years ago to plan the next generation of Ryzen. And then they both act excited about "next level" secrets in their work together on graphics, gaming and cloud. She also said that they have "completely moved the needle in how they approach co-development together".

And then of course you have the exact words that Lisa shared yesterday during the AMD E3 briefing about both PS5 and Project Scarlett that show even if you want to simply say it was their provided PR to AMD that Microsoft is really wanting that continued message about co-engineering and deep partnership to come through clearly.

Lisa Su on PS5: "Working collaboratively with Sony over the last few years to build a custom chip based on the Zen 2 and next gen Radeon Architectures."

Lisa Su on Project Scarlett: "Custom Processor co-engineered between our team and the Microsoft team, with one goal in mind, to deliver the ultimate gaming experience. It uses our Zen 2 cpu core and next generation Radeon RDNA gaming graphics architecture."

Given that Navi will be more power efficient in general than Vega and even some of the Sony patents about cooling and rumors about HBM memory, maybe it wouldn't be shocking to see a small TFLOPS advantage in a PS5 over Anaconda. This could even explain some early dev kit rumors that the Game Informer editor had heard about PS5 being more powerful in the dev kits (he clarified later it was based on supposed TFLOPS).

I would also note that even the internal Microsoft marketing materials that were shared on here with verbiage about Anaconda always said "performance leader" and not "world's most powerful console" wording. Phil Spencer has repeatedly talked about performance and frame rate for next gen including in a recent post E3 interview with Engadget about Project Scarlett. Mike Ybarra from Microsoft was interviewed by Windows Central and said that games playing best on their system was still very important to the team when asked about Scarlett versus PS5.

It would not be crazy to think that we end up with a PS5 that could claim "most powerful" based on a small traditional TFLOPS advantage, and a Project Scarlett Anaconda next generation Xbox that ends up performing better in real world gaming scenarios based on the co-engineering SOC work with AMD and their own API level design and work with DXR and Variable Rate Shading for example.

could have said it better myself... trust partnership

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I know it game.... but it also secret code from panay and spencer to xbox family can be confident we are Performance Leaders we can make our own SKU... remember xbox said they invented something new for there conference... something new... panos panay, phil spencer under direction of nadella and unprecedented partnership with doctor lisa shu invented crossfire... exclusive to project scarlett ... power is important to xbox and MS for next generation... no way they allow sony to be undisputed performance leaders... inventing crossfire for console ensures the dominance of the teraflops and gives choice to gamers...

https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-2019/2019/06/09/crossfire-x-blasting-onto-xbox-one-first

seriosly people on these topic underestimate the monster that is Microsoft of a company... like lego, not, like minecraft, scarlett will be the building block of new era of gaming...

also not related totally... people in this topioc insult people with broken english.... but I preffer get broken english than broken heart...
Kayle? Kind of strange to see you only start posting after he got banned.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Who to trust.

Journalist talking to devs, or

Guy who claimed GPU decompression is being used in PS5 SSD while not having PS5 info but also having PS5 info.
Reiner himself said it was a rumor. And what hmqgg has said doesn't really contradict what Reiner heard. It's possible one is more powerful but the other performs better.

Oct 25, 2017
Reiner himself said it was a rumor. And what hmqgg has said doesn't really contradict what Reiner heard. It's possible one is more powerful but the other performs better.

Reiner called it a rumor because he spoke with devs and that is, according to him, what others have heard as well. But it's obviously not a fact at the moment.

hmqgg doesn't know anything about the PS5. Let's stop pretending like he does. This threads fascination with fake insiders is a bit too much.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User warned: personal attacks against another member (accusation of alt)

Hey truth of Kaylee .shame to see ur other account getting banned .....yea ur dots gave u away .....haha .keep it cool so this account also doesn't get banned

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Reiner called it a rumor because he spoke with devs and that is, according to him, what others have heard as well. But it's obviously not a fact at the moment.

hmqgg doesn't know anything about the PS5. Let's stop pretending like he does. This threads fascination with fake insiders is a bit too much.
How is he a fake insider? He clearly has inside info on at least the Xbox side.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Just when we were getting back on track. There is so much fodder for speculation that goes unexplored. I can't even comprehend what on earths name you are fighting about at the moment.

TheBioLover

Oct 25, 2017
no way there is microsoft gave chance to a sony be the Performance Leader I more trust in the BIG hint phil spencer do at them conference then a only tweet exciting unconfirmed (first party haha lol) developers they can call fanboy because I chose to believe vp head of xbox insted of random change of narrative anonymous sources

I present my evidence:

crossfirea9k56.jpg

when vp spencer take the stage in announce crossfire he was only not announce new game but teasing the incredible work see will from Panay just think about it panay has added crossfire to P R O J E C T S C A R L E T T anaconda (the true performance leader( will actually is 2 lockearts in crossfire just about think it makes much sense and why not I believe just the words of journalist when it benefits PS5 change of narrative Xbox having crossfire locks the definatevly superior console to sony because you will link many xboxes using crossfire with deep partnership with doctor lisa shu and panos panay )))
489126627624615946.png

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017

This writing style seems familiar.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Yea everyone just keep confirming what Matt said, so that people are informed. Not sure why people are in here upset over what Matt has confirmed. Like i said before even the Naughty Dog Dev confirmed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.