• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Kayle, they need to be actual journalists too - as in its their full time job & they get paid for it.

Not some weeb neck beard with 50 subs on their YT channel & who cracked 10 viewers on their last Twitch stream of CD3.

Vulcan Logic

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
thats is not the point....as i said i dont have nothing agaisnt that journalist and probably is also truth..but i dont get why without any real information i should pass asa fanboy trusting other sources..and someone else not....choosing to trust the only one saying that ps5 is more powerful. some people neet to learn what the respect mean. now lets close this stupid topic pls
Well said, if you were spinningbirdkick the PlayStation brigade would be touting free opinions & denouncing name calling

Nov 12, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Platform wars, trolling, history of repeated infractions
Kayle, they need to be actual journalists too - as in its their full time job & they get paid for it.

Not some weeb neck beard with 50 subs on their YT channel & who cracked 10 viewers on their last Twitch stream of CD3.
the entire thread...was on the same line....until this new tweet...now im crazy and i toke a fanboy pill for the last months and they always knew everything

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No hands need to be tipped. As you said, If devs have dev kits, then both MS and Sony know exactly what they have. And all it takes is another dev to tell him, "hey... whoever told you what they did was lying, scarlet dev kit is better". And the same way he made a tweet he would come back and say, "just heard from some other devs that PS5 being more powerful may not be the case".

Its actually really straight forward and doesn't require any mental gymnastics some people are trying to do.

If he hasn't heard from any number of the devs he knows that what he was told is false, then it means as of right now its true.The PS5 dev kit is more powerful. That doesn't mean it will translate to more powerful final hardware though.

I'm sorry but this is objectively wrong. Just because he personally has not heard a contradiction its true? That has no basis in reality.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Well if there are so much contradicting "insider" rumors, they have to be wrong.
Both can't be true. And running in circles again and again does not make much sense.

So just wait for something material.
Ans so far NOTHING material leaked from any proclaimed "insider" or rumor.

You guys are way to attached to this stuff.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
the entire thread...was on the same line....until this new tweet...now im crazy and i toke a fanboy pill for the last months and they always knew everything
Because someone legit introduced new information to the conversation. Regardless of the previous narrative, it's now changed because Matt is a more credible source than we had previously and this is the latest info we should be basing the discussion on.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wondered why I couldn't quote Kayle I guess I know the answer now.

Anyway after trying gamepass on PC I'll probably be buying a new gaming PC soon after these console launch + a PS5 for exclusives. Seems to me it's going to be the best of both worlds!

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
At this point, I dont care which one is more powerful. They both will be comparable IMHO. One of the key issues is price. MS cannot be weaker, yet more expensive.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

MS have gone from beating their chests about how important power is, and how their new console will aim to be the most powerful to downplaying power to a degree.

There has been a huge shift in tone with the Scarlett reveal and stuff Xbox people are saying when we compare it to last year.

EG even lined it right up for Booty - asked him what would make Scarlett better than PS5. His answer, which talked about everything BUT relative performance, is a complete 180 to what they were saying a year ago when they were touting the importance of power with the X and how they were aiming to set the performance benchmark with Scarlett.

Maybe they don't know if they're more powerful than PS5, which I find unlikely as dev kits have to be out in the wild by this point. But if they are more powerful and know they are then the 180 in the messaging doesn't make any sense to me. They would be beating us over the head with it like they did with the X and when they announced their intentions with next gen. The fact they are doing the opposite might be quite telling.

Metfanant

Oct 27, 2017

those sources are great and all with their "insider" sources...but here is some reality...

After the PS5 "reveal" we get these articles using words like "significantly" and "way more" powerful than the PS5. But now, that MS has actually taken the cover off the overall hardware design. We are in a situation where we know that both consoles are EXCEPTIONALLY similar in design. There is absolutely ZERO chance that MS used the lower power console as the basis of this reveal. We also know that the price for these consoles will be relatively similar. These realities alone, should cast some doubt on the "insiders" claiming how the Xbox was going to blow the PS5 out of the water...its just not a reality.

It might end up being more powerful, but, "significantly?" thats highly questionable now.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017

Dang - permaban too!

Anyway after trying gamepass on PC I'll probably be buying a new gaming PC soon after these console launch + a PS5 for exclusives. Seems to me it's going to be the best of both worlds!

Yeah, I can see me getting a new PC next gen, I literally use my X as a UHD player so makes sense especially as there will be no Xbox console exclusives moving forward...having said that, PCs are still not quite as user friendly...

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MS have gone from beating their chests about how important power is, and how their new console will aim to be the most powerful to downplaying power to a degree.

There has been a huge shift in tone with the Scarlett reveal and stuff Xbox people are saying when we compare it to last year.

EG even lined it right up for Booty - asked him what would make Scarlett better than PS5. His answer, which talked about everything BUT relative performance, is a complete 180 to what they were saying a year ago when they were touting the importance of power with the X and how they were aiming to set the performance benchmark with Scarlett.

Maybe they don't know if they're more powerful than PS5, which I find unlikely as dev kits have to be out in the wild by this point. But if they are more powerful and know they are then the 180 in the messaging doesn't make any sense to me. They would be beating us over the head with it like they did with the X and when they announced their intentions with next gen. The fact they are doing the opposite might be quite telling.
Devkits don't tell the whole story this far out. What does is that Microsoft realizes that Sony is most likely hitting the same pricepoint as them. That means you can't for certain claim to be most powerful this far out. Microsoft isn't gonna use their "Infinite Warchest" to help with this as fanboys so desperately think MS can do.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Oh absolutely I agree completely just wanted to say Usman had been one of the more reliable sources despite it being wccftech which report on every rumour under the sun.

I think what you said also extends to official info when it's vague like the "4x pure processing power over Xbox one X" which many people entertained to meaning only GPU ~= 24TFs. That one was quite an eye opener.

Oh yeah, but I'd still argue claims like that which are intentionally vague as to obfuscate the real factual details should be dismissed out of hand by everyone from the outset.

Frankly its pretty disappointing that MS would resort to such BS claims. If they intended to state the CPU increase, be specific and deal with that. Or talk about how devkits perform on a realworld XB1S game demo (i.e. like Sony did with Spiderman) if the TFLOPs numbers aren't flattering because a direct comparison with GCN hardware is misleading.

My issue with MS often is they treat gamers like idiots with details like this. Either be honest and specific enough to convey your message in a truthful way or hold info back until you've figured out how to do so.

Anyway, that's by the by.

Oh for sure - on a general issue of being cautious with info, I completely agree. Re. Navi 10/12 though, what was the difference there? The parts this year aren't Navi 12?

Usman claimed the new 5700 cards were Navi 12, when in fact they are confirmed by AMD to be Navi 10.

I can corroborate it using logic - if they literally use the GPUs AMD presented yesterday as AMD presented them, they will not have HW RT (whatever on earth AMDs version of HW RT is). If they use GPUs that are not those presented yesterday then HW RT (whatever on earth AMDs version of HW RT is, which we have no understanding of its capabilities at all beyond that it is "select in application" on their planned high end cards to replace Radeon VII) becomes of course more possible.

I would be completely shocked if both MS and Sony managed to come up with two competing and different hardware designs here regarding the GPU and an implementation of "HW RT". I am already dreading this "HW RT" wording at the moment as it is very intransparent - it could literally be anything.

So essentially your statement is a truism and not really saying anything?

I mean, of course MS or Sony won't take the RX5700 or RX5700xt chips "as is" because they are custom chips ans not discrete desktop GPU parts. So your entire premise is flawed which undermines the point of what you're trying to convey. In which, case i'd argue your statement is only logically consistent, not "100% valid" or accurate as you state.

As to the hardware RT, there really isn't anything to suggest MS or Sony can't jointly develop their own custom GFX IP blocks for accelerating some part of the RT algorithm.

Tbh, "RT" is used so broadly in the industry (covering things like Voxel Cone Tracing and SDF Raytracing) that Sony's/MS's approaches to HW acceleration could look very different to RTX.

I believe chris 1515 has discussed previously about Sony's employee's historical photon mapping patents and work with RT using K-D Trees as opposed to BVH.

There are many ways to skin a cat, and Sony and MS only need to come up with the high level conceptual ideas of what they want to accelerate in HW while AMD works to implement that in silicon - that's why it's called a collaboration.

Yeah. It's most likely the 2020 Navis have something, and the console chips, being based on that same 2020 design, have whatever that is.

We should stop talking about 'hardware RT' as if it's some binary checkbox. It could come in at any level. I'll accept that it is going to produce some acceleration - and that's very good news vs what we might have expected previously - but I've no doubt the performance profile is going to be different than what was done in nVidia's solutions, for example. I don't think it needs to be at that same level to be meaningful, but we shouldn't take 'hardware RT' to be some singular, interchangeable concept.

This.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still sticking with my vote for a 12 Tflops console and, more realistically, both aiming for at least 10 Vega Tflops. I don't actually expect to get either, but still very performant machines. Overall next gen will be less hobbled from the start compared to last gen and I'd happy with 4k CB and GoW4-like graphics with much more interactive and detailed levels. Add better lighting and I'm golden. I look at games on my base PS4, sorta wonder what we could've had with a better CPU and more GPU grunt, but actually they're almost perfectly fine already.

Next-gen will be great. I know it.

Era mods are Sony shills CONFIRMED!

I wonder if the alt-account will feature the same creative spelling. Amazing how a few people could shit this thread up for months on end before catching a ban.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
As much as I found TheTruthofKayle's rabid lack of objectivity annoying, he was still a decent guy.

Still the past few pages of the thread have been derailed by his posts in large part.

It's a shame to see him gone permanently though.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Devkits don't tell the whole story this far out. What does is that Microsoft realizes that Sony is most likely hitting the same pricepoint as them. That means you can't for certain claim to be most powerful this far out. Microsoft isn't gonna use their "Infinite Warchest" to help with this as fanboys so desperately think MS can do.

Very likely. MS went from thinking they would have a year extra to work on their tech than Sony and have a dual SKU with a cheap and cheerful Lockhart for the price sensitive market and Anaconda for performance and to claim the power crown to having Sony release at the same time and same price as Anaconda.

This explains both the change in tone and also the apparent dropping of Lockhart...

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, If this was answered somewhere already but did Microsoft elaborate on the 4 times XBX power statement?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Very likely. MS went from thinking they would have a year extra to work on their tech than Sony and have a dual SKU with a cheap and cheerful Lockhart for the price sensitive market and Anaconda for performance and to claim the power crown to having Sony release at the same time and same price as Anaconda.

This explains both the change in tone and also the apparent dropping of Lockhart...
Apparent dropping of Lockhart? If PS5 and Anaconda are the same price, that makes Lockhart even more relevant.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So we got:

Zen 2
Navi
GDDR6
SSD
HW RT
BluRay disc drive

This basically confirms that there is no way that the next consoles are below 499$

It does no such thing. Three of those are just factors in die size. One of them is already in consoles. GDDR6 is marginally more expensive than GDDR5. SSD is the only potential cost driver there, and we have no idea what size they will use.
Isn't it more like ~35% higher flops at the same power spec?

Yes, that's a more accurate number, but the performance is closer to 1.75X.

Thanks for the clarification ZhugeEX.

This is good for everyone to keep in mind.

Also to keep in mind, the only time we saw chips was a CGI render, and we can't be sure it was Anaconda vs. Lockhart.

Jan 17, 2019
Just to clarify. hmqgg was only verified for having access to Microsoft's GDC plans prior to the event and nothing else.

It's best to assume everything they post is based on that info or speculation. If they want to verify they have access to other information they can PM me.

How you treat a verified insiders if they were caught up in a lie or in a denying something?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
ZhugeEX have you been hearing anything similar to Andrew from Game Informer or what?
He's not going to confirm or deny anything unless he knows for sure, and even then he may not.

How you treat a verified insiders if they were caught in a lie?
They most likely get warned to stop spreading lies, or get banned if they continue, unless they can prove without a doubt that they have actual verifiable sources.

DarkSlayer

Jan 18, 2018
Pakistan
By the way, did anyone else feel there was more to it when Lisa Su said that the chip in Scarlett is "co-engineered and custom developed" by Microsoft/AMD than just repeating what Spencer said on-stage at the keynote?

MS 'may' have a deeper collaboration with AMD than Sony.

Navi doesn't feature hardware accelerated ray tracing, it's something that is confirmed to come next year with a next generation architecture built on 7nm+. And it's confirmed Scarlett has that feature. So Microsoft pulling a significant feature like this from a yet-to-announced architecture could be what that "co-engineered" part refers to. That is if PS5 doesn't feature hardware accelerated ray tracing.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
By the way, did anyone else feel there was more to it when Lisa Su said that the chip in Scarlett is "co-engineered and custom developed" by Microsoft/AMD than just repeating what Spencer said on-stage at the keynote?

Navi doesn't feature hardware accelerated ray tracing, it's something that is confirmed to come next year with a next generation architecture built on 7nm+. And it's confirmed Scarlett has that feature. So Microsoft pulling a significant feature like this from a yet-to-announced architecture could be what that "co-engineered" part refers to. That is if PS5 doesn't feature hardware accelerated ray tracing.
PS5 has HW RT, as confirmed by Matt.

Lisa read words on a slide provided by Microsoft. MS wants to craft their image and so does Sony. They have different approaches. Sony had more advanced GPUs in both the PS4 and PS4 Pro, despite the latter debuting a year earlier than Scorpio.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

It's just PR bullshit. One of the mods here said both will have hardware RT, we'll see.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I for one am shocked to see Kayle banned again on another site /s. Actually am surprised they survived this long.
Oh yeah, but I'd still argue claims like that which are intentionally vague as to obfuscate the real factual details should be dismissed out of hand by everyone from the outset.

Frankly its pretty disappointing that MS would resort to such BS claims. If they intended to state the CPU increase, be specific and deal with that. Or talk about how devkits perform on a realworld XB1S game demo (i.e. like Sony did with Spiderman) if the TFLOPs numbers aren't flattering because a direct comparison with GCN hardware is misleading.

My issue with MS often is they treat gamers like idiots with details like this. Either be honest and specific enough to convey your message in a truthful way or hold info back until you've figured out how to do so.

Anyway, that's by the by.
Indeed it's why I was had issue with their push labelling jaguar cores as "custom CPU" for XB1/XBX. As where technically it's true the way they pushed to make it seem like it was fundamental changes to jaguar that would affect gaming performance when in reality the tweaks only relate to optimizing some things for the XB1's OS due to their hypervisor setup.

To MS's credit they do provide deeper technical breakdown via hotchips conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.