• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
They [Microsoft] have 15 studios, some with multiple teams, most that are going to be releasing their next games on the next generation console.
That's not true. Of the 15 XGS devs, the next game release for 9 of them are not on Scarlett: "Age of Empires" (AoE II Definitive), Double Fine (Psychonauts 2), The Coalition (Gears 5), inXile (Wasteland 3), Microsoft Casual Games (they only release on Windows), Mojang (Minecraft Dungeons), Ninja Theory (Bleeding Edge), Obsidian (The Outer Worlds), Rare (Battletoads). One more will be cross-gen (Halo Infinite from 343i). We don't know for the other 5 studios: Compulsion, The Initiative, Playground, Turn10, and Undead Labs. I'd guess all those games will indeed be on Scarlett, though some maybe not exclusively.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Like I said before and some said now, next year wills ee new iterations and revisions of NAVI which will be full RDNA unlike the current ones which are hybrids of RDNA and old GCN hence the the not so high performance. Things will be different next year with full RDNA architecture.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
re7vr was a good indicator of what VR can be, not what it is.

Any critique of VR and fans are accusing you of wanting the tech to burn in a fire. As a PR inO and PSVR owner, I'm looking forward to the future of VR but I can't wait to trade both towards a ps5/ana.

I mean we got RE7 on January 2017 on this gen hardware, imagine what we'll get on the PS5 and the PSVR2, it will blow our minds!

Can't wait for next gen to arrive

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed. I am surprised that anyone thinks Mark Cerny, the lead PS5 hardware engineer, would be talking about software ray tracing. There is no reason to talk about RT if it's not hardware accelerated.
true, but crytech showed raytracing could be done on a vega 56, so software is a option, just not a smart option.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
What is it ? Was it showed in E3? It's like dynamic resolution but with shader instead of resolution ?
Here's a Digital Foundry video explaining it well

The current Nvidia Turing cards (RTX series and GTX 1660 Ti) supports it and will be a standard feature going forward, maybe AMD will have it in their next GPU's in the future.
This feature would have been good for console where Devs try to get as much out of the fixed hardware as possible while good performance it's just another good performance tech basically where it downgrades stuff you won't see so very beneficial tech get more out of it

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
FELIZ
WsiIYB1.png

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people acting like 40 CUs is the absolute limit to Navi. It's the next GPU line of series for AMD, is that the absolute limit and it will only last for at most 2 generations?

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people acting like 40 CUs is the absolute limit to Navi. It's the next GPU line of series for AMD, is that the absolute limit and it will only last for at most 2 generations?
its not the limit, its just what most expect given tdp limits. you cant increase cu counts without lowing clockspeed to keep tdp limits.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Here's a Digital Foundry video explaining it well

The current Nvidia Turing cards (RTX series and GTX 1660 Ti) supports it and will be a standard feature going forward, maybe AMD will have it in their next GPU's in the future.
This feature would have been good for console where Devs try to get as much out of the fixed hardware as possible while good performance it's just another good performance tech basically where it downgrades stuff you won't see so very beneficial tech get more out of it

I think Horzon did this but it required a full intervention of the devs instead of a GPU feature.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
true, but crytech showed raytracing could be done on a vega 56, so software is a option, just not a smart option.
But as the developer from ND pointed out, software ray tracing is not new.

Everything Cerny talks about as it relates to his job as Sony's lead systems architect is a hardware feature. I feel like folks are being intentionally obtuse with this software RT talk.

Didn't he come up with checker-boarded 4K?
Which is helped by the ID buffer, a hardware feature.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
GPU looks kinda dogshit
GPU looks dumb not gonna lie.
5700xt is being compared to 2070? RIP
Amd throwing dog shit on screen and telling us it's chocolate. Goddammit
I'm more talking about their stupid fucking sharpening algorithm and detail enhancing anti ghosting Crap. It's horse shit.
It's fine to not like the product, but you could have been constructive in your posts, instead of this.

Lots of passionate posts over the last 24 hours or so, which I understand, but I don't think dogpile negativity makes for a good discussion.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
But as the developer from ND pointed out, software ray tracing is not new.

Everything Cerny talks about as it relates to his job as Sony's lead systems architect is a hardware feature. I feel like folks are being intentionally obtuse with this software RT talk.

Which is helped by the ID buffer, a hardware feature.
I agree its most likely hardware based, just reminding people its possable, but not likely.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Anex already quoted this from Anandtech but one more time:
"With a single exception, there also aren't any new graphics features. Navi does not include any hardware ray tracing support, nor does it support variable rate pixel shading. AMD is aware of the demands for these, and hardware support for ray tracing is in their roadmap for RDNA 2 (the architecture formally known as "Next Gen"). But none of that is present here."

What i don't get anexanhume : isn't RDNA supposed to be "new" GCN? Or it's still some sort of hybrid?Now they already talk about new new arch RDNA 2..."next gen",whatever that means.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
lol... until he can come forward and say that his developer sources tell him otherwise, he should stay quiet.

It's such a silly conversation. Andrew is reporting what he's hearing right now, that's it. And yet there's this weird Xbox defense force (and probably a fair amount of Sony fanboy gloating) consisting of people that think "But Phil said" is gospel attempting to discredit a guy that said a thing they don't like.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
"With a single exception, there also aren't any new graphics features. Navi does not include any hardware ray tracing support, nor does it support variable rate pixel shading. AMD is aware of the demands for these, and hardware support for ray tracing is in their roadmap for RDNA 2 (the architecture formally known as "Next Gen"). But none of that is present here."

This is a mess. Let's hope PS5/Scarlet use 2020 Navi.
But I'm not optimistic as they would have probably communicated it already.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

This just confirms what I said many times before this: RT solutions for both consoels are either a custom in-house addition from both Sony and Microsoft or that their GPUs include some features of the next RDNA iterations coming later which is not ruled out since they have plenty of time to adopt the newer model.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Wait... So Scarlett is using "Next Gen" after all?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you folks and your fatalistic attitudes. I really hope it dies down within a week because this won't be good for the health of anyone reading and contributing.

Personally, this same I had a similar breakdown when folks predicted back in late 2012 that next gen would need to have at least 2.4TF to bring ground breaking visuals and then it fell through when the highest spec console was rated at 1.84TF. "Gamer over man, it's game over" was prevalent attitude among many including myself and it was honestly a toxic circle jerk that went on for days.

Now, over 7 years older, I feel like it was so silly in retrospect and that the lesson to learned included the fact that target and established hard specs are not be all and end all when it comes to software and then mid gen refresh introduced another paradigm shift that no one saw coming.

So, I hope the older folks here can take a longer view of things.
Really? All i remember are downgrades.

Remember agni philosophy? Square ditched that entire engine after the specs were revealed.

Remember GI being removed from unreal engine 4?

Remember the watch dogs 3 downgrade? Weather effects like wind physics gone? The fantastic indoor fog? Gone? Lighting downgraded. I just watched watch dogs 3 and it is still missing those features 7 years later.

Cd project had to change their entire renderer when they realized that consoles were too weak. Foliage, downgraded. Lighting downgraded. Smoke and weather effects once again the biggest casualty.

Capcom had to ditch the deep down engine too.

I can list more examples but games suffered a lot this gen due to the weak gpus.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Both companies 'special sauce could be early RT hardware that's meant to go into RDNA2 but made its way to the console custom SOCs.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
This just confirms what I said many times before this: RT solutions for both consoels are either a custom in-house addition from both Sony and Microsoft or that their GPUs include some features of the next RDNA iterations coming later which is not ruled out since they have plenty of time to adopt the newer model.

You're probably right, I'd learn towards the former which will make this thread unbrowsable for the next year or so.

But it has hardware accelerated ray tracing, which is a "Next Gen" feature, so it sounds like the rumors weren't completely bogus.

We don't know for sure if its HW led RT in either of the consoles. But if it is, its a tech which is most likely done in-house rather than something AMD is doing.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

What i don't get anexanhume : isn't RDNA supposed to be "new" GCN? Or it's still some sort of hybrid?Now they already talk about new new arch RDNA 2..."next gen",whatever that means.
They keep GCN around because they think of it as an ISA, not as an architecture (or not only an architecture).

That being said, console GPUs bring future GPU features forward all the time. This would be no different.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Funny stuff. The slide shows just TWO shader engines on Navi 10.

It is totally unclear what these SEs even are now in RDNA though.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Yea. I'm expecting Sony and MS have both worked to add both features to the GPU feature set because variable rate shading will be incredibly important for freeing up more resources as devs bring the feature into their engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.