• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
Honestly, people here put way too much importance in the power race. I saw one comment earlier that said that it would be disastrous if Anaconda isn't the most powerful console next gen.

Tell me fucking why it needs to be the most powerful.
fanboys-e13371.jpg

Rylen

Feb 5, 2019
Gonna go with a $329 price prediction for 5700 XT.

The rumor mill needs a good slap to the face

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder why Microsoft didn't announce the number of CPU cores. Maybe that's Anaconda's "secret sauce"? 12 cores, 24 threads??

what if it's less than 8 cores 🤔

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Running at lower clock, but similar yes
You are underselling what the XB1X did.

• 4CU more
  • wider bus
  • higher bandwidth
  • 4GB more RAM
  • and also powered a CPU, BR drive, HDD, cooler and USB ports.
I'll say it again when looking at PC hardware, people really should only focus on the size of the silicon itself. Console customization is no joke and trying to make direct comparisons to PC parts can be very very very misleading.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Honestly, people here put way too much importance in the power race. I saw one comment earlier that said that it would be disastrous if Anaconda isn't the most powerful console next gen.

Especially when any likely difference will be ~15% or less either way. It really doesn't matter for anything more than PR and marketing. It will be far smaller than the differences between the OG consoles this gen or the mid gen refreshes.

Both consoles are getting fast SSDs, RT hardware and Zen 2 which will be huge factors in determining how games run, look and play. Both consoles will likely be essentially identical in this regard. A 10-15% variation in GPU will boil down to a handful of frames (at best) that are imperceptible to anyone other than Digital Foundry.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I think it will be 8 cores 16 threads for both consoles.

Seems very likely, just curious why they didn't announce it. Sony kind of presented them a good opportunity by just announcing the number of CPU cores, but not the number of threads. So it would have been very easy for Microsoft to one-up them with new info:

Sony: 8 cores
MS: 8 cores, 16 threads

...but they didn't. A bit strange imo.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep, both consoles would probably differ very little in terms of power.

The meltdowns has been very fun to read, but think the performance difference wouldn't matter much at all.

Rylen

Feb 5, 2019

• 4CU more
  • wider bus
  • higher bandwidth
  • 4GB more RAM
I'll say it again when looking at PC hardware, people really should only focus on the size of the silicon itself. Console customization is no joke and trying to make direct comparisons to PC parts can be very very very misleading.

I guess his point was that X wasn't as power hungry as a RX 580.

But my point, and perhaps yours too, is that the 5700 XT being 180w TDP doesn't spell doom and gloom for next gen consoles

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018

• 4CU more
  • wider bus
  • higher bandwidth
  • 4GB more RAM
No, just saying the comparison is not perfect to gauge the power draw.
But next gen consoles will have more CUs, a wider bus, higher bandwidth and RAM again.
So one should expect the clocks to be lower again. You have to save some power consumption somewhere.

Well I was always on the low clocks train of ~1500MHz max.

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
N6 is a "half-node", it should be faster from RP to MP. We'll see.
I wonder if it'll be more likely to be 7nm+ as they're already working on that for Zen 3. Then again, they'll be using Zen 2 and Navi so if they're going to port those designs over to a new node then maybe 6nm might be the easier/cheaper option.

Although, isn't 7nm+ just the BEOL that uses EUV and the rest stays largely the same?

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
He was literally trotted out to talk about Scarlett. You telling me he doesn't know anything about it now?

Booty himself has wrong information about Minecraft in that same interview he says
Matt Booty: Well, I can't speak for Sony but I can point to the work we've done on Minecraft. We've kept it at pace so Minecraft on Xbox and PlayStation - neither lags behind the other.
which isn't true because the Playstation version doesn't have the Better Together update... for reasons, so his understanding of certain things is questionable to me. If you were to read two interviews about the PS5 one from Mark Cerny and the other from Shuhei Yoshida which one is likely to be more useful in regards to hardware information? Most of those guys are given talking points like 8k, 120fps and SSD and are "trotted" out like you said. If you wanted a quote that fits your narrative better then the following one would be better suited.

If you let me back I'll be here. Back to Scarlett... you mentioned it has four times the power of Xbox One X, which certainly sounds good. But what does that mean?

Matt Booty:
It's a few things - it's the combination of speed, not just of the SSD but of the processor, the performance of the GPU and RAM, but we're also in a world where speed is starting not to matter. You can make RAM faster either by speeding up the way you access it or by adding more access points.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
If you wanted a quote that fits your narrative better then the following one would be better suited.

Hey I presented the only three possible options, there is no narrative - that encompasses all options. Either MS don't know which is more powerful or they are more powerful but are being weirdly coy or PS5 is more powerful. Those are the only options that are possible.

We don't know which will be most powerful, and honestly until the reveal I believed it was likely to be the new Xbox (but not by much), but the fact MS's messaging has clearly veered sharply away from the importance of power after hammering that point home with their XBX messaging is certainly worth noting. I don't think the "Anaconda is going to destroy PS5" narrative that has dominated these threads, to the point where anyone suggesting otherwise was ridiculed, has as much certainty behind it.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
She was never going to comment on what technology is specifically in the consoles, what were here for is to learn more about their RT tech.

TheInsider

Banned
Jun 9, 2019
may as well go live in a hole until E3 2020 at this rate....they're not give anything remotely concrete before then imo.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The marketing speak word choice differences used to describe the different consoles was pretty interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.