• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of stuff in here reads like astroturfing spurred by, seemingly, getting spooked at Scarlett.

We're not going to know final specs for months, I doubt any final "spec" is even nailed down for any of these consoles (hint: this is why MS isn't claiming the most powerful console, because it simply is impossible for them to know the exact final technical specs of their competitor at this stage). Any one selling "I know X is stronger than Y" is feeding you a bullshit pie.

We got a lot of info from MS on what they're doing, presented a lot more straight forwardly than Cerny's "ooooh secret" presentation on load times, and I appreciate that.

More than likely these two consoles are going to be damn near identical.

I don't think that both PS5 and Scarlett specs are final in the current states to start with so both are prone to change till release. Anything can happen till then.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot_20190609-194656_Brave.png
🤑

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't expect information on Lockhart and Anaconda specifics until early 2020. Project Scarlett as a whole is multiple things, 2 consoles (Anaconda, Lockhart) and version 2 of xCloud based on the Scarlett hardware.

If MS are going with a premium console then i expect some rumblings before then, not from MS or Sony, i agree that will come later, i just doubt it will stay a secret if it's much better, or at least the idea the PS5 is stronger to stop.

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when some thought Scarlett may be using Vega. Good times. LOL.

Remember when people though Navi was Sony exclusive because they didn't understand how licensing/r&d worked?

I don't think that both PS5 and Scarlett specs are final in the current states to start with so both are prone to change till release. Anything can happen till then.

That is indeed the point, yes. Neither is nailed down. Devs at best have "target specs" in a PC-like black box dev kit, which means little (beyond relative targets) for the actual final performance.

Anyone claiming a dev "told them" something about performance is likely also someone who'd tell you their uncle works for Nintendo.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the two seem like they'll be so nearly identical, that the only reason either one of them will even have different clocks at this point is either because 1) one of them has a customization that limits the clocks or 2) one of them is willing to eat more cost on lower yields.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
With both of their RT solutions being designed by AMD, I don't see there being a significant difference there either. These are going to be the two most similarly designed consoles ever and folks here really don't seem prepared for that outcome.
too me the question is chip size. larger the chip, more raytracing hardware can be put on it, or same chip size, but one takes less cus for more rt hardware. might be the same tech in both, but there is some wigle room.

Oct 25, 2017
Forbes' senior VG contributor writes in his report of Microsoft's conference: 'there are rumblings from industry insiders that the PS5 actually might have a slight power edge over Scarlett.'

Not sure if he's just parroting Andrew Reiner or this is stuff he's heard himself independently, so take as you will...

If this is true I can't slap my forehead enough. I noticed Phil didn't use the same "most powerful next gen console" language like he did last e3.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
That would be very strange, especially after all those "reports" stating the exact opposite. I seriously hope it's not true, I would like it if both systems just end up being on par with each other, so that we can finally just all take it easy with this stuff.

If it turns out to be true MS really can't be pricing the Anaconda higher than PS5.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Don't understand why some expected MS to reveal all their specs when their counterpart didn't!? The console is more than a year away.

Everyone is doing their own thing. Sony on a random day with an article, MS with a video. Minor things here and there. Scorpio reveal was just some numbers too, did Sony copy that with an article? No.
Everyone is doing their own thing.
I don't think there is a single person here that expected MS to reveal everything. Especially not a hard TF number. And if there is then you shouldn't take that person seriously anyways.

And funny enough, MS actually "revealed" more than sony. But this is why sony's "reveal was smart... because it makes it look like MS is just saying the same things they said. Hell, I literally said no one should expect anything more than talking heads making hyperbolic statements that doesn't really mean anything.

Feb 10, 2018
Come on man... they didn't. But what is clear is that there is a messaging shift within MS. The same guy that said last year that they were making the most powerful console or something to that effect is now adding a disclaimer "we've ever made". If that doesn't scream deliberate i don't know what does.

How about this though, something for you all to bite on. And something like what I also said before too.... MS is going to price match whatever sony makes. And try and be as close to or equal in power as possible. But the catch is that this first PS5 matching console may actually be their Lockhart. And anaconda may come along like a year later.

Could of fooled me, reading the last several pages.
And people are trying to mould phils words just to fit a narrative which calms there anxiety.
At E3 2018 + 19 Phil said its what "they" hope to achieve, yes his wording is more precise and less general this year, but ppl are trying really hard to make it something its not.
Maybe they are still confident that there system will be the most powerful, but just not risking boasting about being the power King, yet.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't matter what console is more powerful since both will have same features including HW RT and SSD. I am just relived that Lockheart (being even weaker than Xbox One X...) was just a bad dream. No way could I believe something like that to hold an entire generation. Now we can expect next-gen to be in full glory.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
This would be very bad for ms, hope it's not true. Want to play the best console versions on Xbox :(

After all those rumors and also Phil's own words it would be very disappointing indeed. I also want to stick with Xbox for the multiplatform games.

Now I just wonder how much more powerful PS5 will be if true, are we talking X and Pro differences? I don't like this.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
After all those rumors and also Phil's own words it would be very disappointing indeed. I also want to stick with Xbox for the multiplatform games.

Now I just wonder how much more powerful PS5 will be if true, are we talking X and Pro differences? I don't like this.

Realistically either way I feel the difference is going to be small if you prefer to game on Xbox just do it

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It doesn't matter what console is more powerful since both will have same features including HW RT and SSD. I am just relived that Lockheart (being even weaker than Xbox One X...) was just a bad dream. No way could I believe something like that to hold an entire generation. Now we can expect next-gen to be in full glory.

Oh shit, you do have a good point there. Phil didn't mention two Xbox consoles at all huh. He only spoke of one.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

"AMD and Microsoft have co-designed and co-engineered a custom, high performance AMD SoC to power Project Scarlett to deliver an incredible gaming experience, including the next-generation of performance, graphics, lighting, visuals, and audio immersion. This processor builds upon the significant innovation of the AMD Ryzen™ "Zen 2" CPU core and a "Navi" GPU based on next-generation Radeon™ RDNA gaming architecture including hardware-accelerated raytracing."

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
This would be very bad for ms, hope it's not true. Want to play the best console versions on Xbox :(

I mean, is it so bad playing the best console version on PS5? I don't understand this logic.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
That would be very strange, especially after all those "reports" stating the exact opposite. I seriously hope it's not true, I would like it if both systems just end up being on par with each other, so that we can finally just all take it easy with this stuff.

If it turns out to be true MS really can't be pricing the Anaconda higher than PS5.

There were never reports saying MS was stronger.
It was always MS aiming to be and then paste bin leaks were also back and forward .
Truth is we won't fully know until next year with final dev kits \specs.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt any final "spec" is even nailed down for any of these consoles (hint: this is why MS isn't claiming the most powerful console, because it simply is impossible for them to know the exact final technical specs of their competitor at this stage). Any one selling "I know X is stronger than Y" is feeding you a bullshit pie.

This.

All this discussion about which is the more powerful console is pointless because the design specifications are still up in the air. Clock speeds, core counts, RAM numbers, etc, are all likely still subject to change.

Sony and Microsoft aren't giving detailed specifics because they don't want to show their hand and have the other one up them. Being able to market your next console as "the most powerful next-gen console" is persuasive branding, and both Sony and Microsoft want to be able to claim the crown. Committing to specifics now gives your competitor plenty of time to adjust their specs to create something more powerful.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo

"AMD and Microsoft have co-designed and co-engineered a custom, high performance AMD SoC to power Project Scarlett to deliver an incredible gaming experience, including the next-generation of performance, graphics, lighting, visuals, and audio immersion. This processor builds upon the significant innovation of the AMD Ryzen™ "Zen 2" CPU core and a "Navi" GPU based on next-generation Radeon™ RDNA gaming architecture including hardware-accelerated raytracing."
This basically confirms the same thing for the PS5 GPU.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

I'd say we'll have definitive wording on this by AMD's event tomorrow.

This basically confirms the same thing for the PS5 GPU.

If you assume they didn't customize it in.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Realistically either way I feel the difference is going to be small if you prefer to game on Xbox just do it

That's true. Hell I actually still stuck with Xbox even when the resolution differences at one point were 720p versus 1080p. But I can't do that anymore. But no way in hell are we going to see a repeat of that.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I kinda hate the insider culture. I think anyone who was on the old forum experienced the "Golden age" and then the "Dark age" of insider worship culture.

It always starts nice and legit, then the insiders love the fame and start making shit up. And it spirals to some insane shit + biases. I still remember the days where each insider was revealed to be a fanboy, shill, or liar

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018

So it's a SoC then

Oct 25, 2017
Almost the same

You have said this twice now. What did you do at the beginning of this generation? Whatever it was you can just do it again if PS5 is more powerful.

At this point, I don't trust "journalists". Anyone know if this guy has a Sony bias?

As opposed to all the Xbox biased insiders like Klobrille, Sams and Corden?

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to tell yall. Sony never skimps out on hardware. every situation where MS came out on top was ONLY after releasing a year later, when pitted against each other in the same time frame only has Sony proven to release more powerful hardware. PS5 being more powerful than scarlet is actually more expected than shocking.

Feb 10, 2018
Judging by the size of the scarlett SoC (about as big as the 1Xs) I expect it to be at least Navi 5700 (vega 64) power level.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Can anybody explain the "eat monsters for breakfast" thing?

It was a joke. The Project Scorpio reveal trailer Kareem said at the end "It's a monster". This video, Kareem was at the end and smiled and said "it eats monsters for breakfast". It was just a play on what he said in the Scorpio tease, meaning that Scarlet is a lot more powerful than Scorpio and that Scorpio was a Monster and Scarlet is way more powerful and eats Monsters (Scorpio) for breakfast.

You can tell Kareem was having fun with it in his facial animation and his smirk when he said it. I thought it was pretty funny, but you have to have seen the Scorpio reveal or remember it to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.