• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Then I hope we get trusted leak about next gen, it's time to stop this speculation.
If it's Sony. Is it E3 related then? 🕵🏻‍♂️
Maybe something to have with those tweets in the weekend saying Sony laywers would have a busy week.

I'm not going to even try and second guess what it might be. All we know is it is gaming related but not for something/one at E3.

Shouldn't have long to wait if it is coming today.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I'm not going to even try and second guess what it might be. All we know is it is gaming related but not for something/one at E3.

Shouldn't have long to wait if it is coming today.

I noticed positive change in Sony PR since Jim Ryan took over: we got that surprising Wired PS5 announcement and Jim himself gave several interviews recently.They are much more proactive now.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I noticed positive change in Sony PR since Jim Ryan took over: we got that surprising Wired PS5 announcement and Jim himself gave several interviews recently.They are much more proactive now.

I'm not expecting anything else from Sony for PS5 until at least after Microsoft's conference and more likely a few months at least.

The Amazon thing mentioned above might be more likely for today's news.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
The point of gremlinz1982 is that with the MS game sharing model 2 persons on different Xbox Ones can play the same game at the same time with just one license without then need to play the game together. I never tried it on PS4. Can you do the same there?
Yes, I do this all the time with my partner. The lounge is my primary, they play my games with their accounts on that machine. I play my games with my account on a couple of different machines in different locations. The *only* downside is that if I lost network, then I can't play.

Is this different on XBox? We have an X in the lounge, and a launch bone in the office, and I don't recall it being different, but it's been gathering dust since the switch arrived so I can't be certain.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

My take away (if that footage is legitimately showing off RT which is hard to gauge from off screen footage):

1. It's running in replay mode.
2. That resolution AND framerate suggests that it is highly specialized demo running on multiple HW concurrently akin to the GT5 (or Prologue) that was running in 4K with 4 PS3s combined each rendering a quarter of image that was shown off back in the day.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
My take away (if that footage is legitimately showing off RT which is hard to gauge from off screen footage):

1. It's running in replay mode.
2. That resolution AND framerate suggests that it is highly specialized demo running on multiple HW concurrently akin to the GT5 (or Prologue) that was running in 4K with 4 PS3s combined each rendering a quarter of image that was shown off back in the day.

It doesn't seem to be running with RT (at least on reflections) to be honest. It's not as good as in this video:

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
No it was sheer luck.

I'm sorry, but that's a hopelessly over-simplistic view of a complex set of engineering decisions and external factors. Throughout my life most of my friends have described me as the luckiest person they know, while I've also been described by many as the smartest person they know. The reality is that, to some extent, you make your own luck through good decisions.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No it was sheer luck. Microsoft knew 8 GB would be needed for next gen games so they did the right thing and made sure their console would have 8GB. Sony planned on 4GB. If GDDR5 would have stayed up in price, the Xbox One would have games that looked MUCH better than the PS4 games.

The Xbox One STILL would have been overpriced with the bundled Kinect, but developers working with 8GB of RAM would have been able to do some amazing things vs. the PS4 4GB of RAM and the race would have been much closer.
Luck has nothing to do with such stuff. Let's go on this silly and fanboystic argue, please.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Love the SSD history in this thread
At first it was to good to be true
Then everyone was hyped about it after ps5 soft reveal
Now fanboys are trying to downplay it

For the record, I was in team to good to be true. Because SSD are still far more expensive than regular HDDs and I couldn't image a company like Sony which got rid of USB ports or mp3 support on PS4 to save a couple of cents for each console sold to spend that kind of money just to improve loading times.

My second error in this regard is that I did not know that introducing SSDs would not only boost loading times but - together with a much more potent CPU - allows stuff not possible with the current architecture, no matter which GPU is being used.

What I still don't know, because I haven't seen anything yet, is how an exclusive next gen title which fully exploits this new technology looks and feels / plays like. I expect a lot, like, playing Gran Turismo on the Nurnburgring Nordschleife with 180 other cars on the track - just like in real life in case anyone asks why I want so many cars simultaneously.... So no need for me to downplay anything nor to go crazy. Looking forward to seeing what a real next gen game looks like on both new high end consoles!

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
How hard is to understand? Maybe you are being unnecessarily resistant to see a comparison. Just because a company places an ad for a worker or two does not mean that the project was not already way into development and being worked on by current developers/engineers. That is what Andromeda argued by stating Microsoft can't possibly have a similar SSD strategy like Sony has with the PS5 as evident that Microsoft had a single ad to add an engineer with such specialties to their team a year go. Of course, again if that is the case it applies just as easily to any other situations as well like PSNow being updated in the near future because obviously, they weren't already working on doing that at all until they filled those specialized PSNow engineer jobs.
Andromeda simply saying there is nothing which indicates that MS gives the priority with such feature on Anaconda like sony because for now there is any leak about it. He just deducted the only way for MS to be head to head with Sony in such stuff it's to have started the work in the same time frame which seems improbable.
And I haven't said your comparison is hard to understand. It's more illogical and bizzarre than useful.

Last edited:

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
azhCMYW.gif

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Mark Rein IIRC, but that sensationalist telling isn't mutually exclusive to how MS actually went about it.
In defence of sony, I hardly remember sensationalist telling by them after the ps3 fiasco (I'm specifically talking of hardware feature). That's why I'm cautiously optimistic about their words.

Dec 31, 2017
Luck has nothing to do with such stuff. Let's go on this silly and fanboystic argue, please.
His post isn't completely crazy though, if GDDR5 prices wouldn't have gone down Sony would have been stuck with their original 4GB just as they had planned with 512MB going to the OS, giving the Xbox One some kind of advantage although it would still have had a weaker GPU.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The point of gremlinz1982 is that with the MS game sharing model 2 persons on different Xbox Ones can play the same game at the same time with just one license without then need to play the game together. I never tried it on PS4. Can you do the same there?

That's exactly how it works. You have a primary PS4 just like Xbox has you set a home console. Anyone can play games you own on your primary console. They can even play offline. You can login to another PS4(without setting that system as primary) and play all your games as long as you have an internet connection. You and someone else can play the same game at the same time, different games, it doesn't matter.

Now let's say you're leaving a friend's house and they really want to play that game you own without you being logged in. You can do this too, you just have to go into the system settings and set your friend's console as your primary. They can continue to keep playing that way, until you decide to kick them off. You technically don't ever have to kick them off. You can go back home and keep playing your PS4 games as long as you are connected to PSN. However the PS4 set as primary is the only console that gets automatic updates and automatic game save uploads, and it's the only console that can play your library offline. When you're ready to set your PS4 back as the primary console, you don't have to go back over to your friends house and deregister it, you can do that using your own PS4.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Folks who are familiar with principles of RT, I have a question:

- Can developers use RT during development period as a base/reference to craft light, shadow, AO maps to essentially mimic (or very closely approximate) it without incurring the cost when it comes to applying it for static non- 100% reflective surfaces?

- And in so doing relegate real time RT for select few objects and surfaces within the view frustum?

It doesn't seem to be running with RT (at least on reflections) to be honest. It's not as good as in this video:

Thank you for the vid. Honestly, that video posted earlier is a rando posting with his/her preferred vid title without literally a shred of evidence unlike this video.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Hey i-Lo

ever thought about to take some courses about games development at any university, college nearby?
maybe there are even online courses ...

You know, that is not a bad idea at all. Sometimes I am just a lazy fuck to be honest. I have programming courses lined up on Udemy for over a year now and never gotten around to them.

Truth is, I think I am addicted to this forum and like my answers spoon fed..... ugh.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Please do. Perhaps it will motivate me to finally get into it.
In my experience nothing motivates more than to have your own idea/project you want to complete. You start to code and you will face challenges. By trying to solve those challenges you will learn the most and there are tons of internet websites that can help you on the journey, like github and stackoverflow for example.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Man Cerny really played his fiddle in the Wired interview. He's got fanboys lined up acting like they invented the SSD now. It definitely had his intended effect. I'm curious to see where each console maker spends money to prioritize for next gen. I can't wait to see how it all shakes out.

Jim Ryan knows his stuff ;)

Best decission Sony made is replacing Kodera with him

Status
Not open for further replies.