• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Skirting the flops issue? When Sony did it, it was taken as a tacit acknowledgement that they may not have the highest performing machine. After MS's bravado around it last year, it would seem weird for them to follow the same tack there, and talk about (potentially fudge-able) improvement multipliers rather than actual numbers.

Maybe they're not so sure where they're final numbers will be, or where Sony's will be, afterall.

He mentions he doesn't think MS has locked down the numbers.

12tflops navi or vega?
He specifically states Navi.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Lockhart ( Chiplet ):

CPU: Zen 2 8C/16T @ 3.2GHz ( 4x One )
GPU: RDNA 32CU @ 5.2TF ( 4x One )
RAM: 16GB GDDR6 @ 400+GB/s ( 2x One )
ROM: 1TB NVMe SSD

Anaconda ( Chiplet ):

CPU: Zen 2 8C/16T @ 3.2GHz ( 4x One )
GPU: RDNA 56CU @ 12+TF ( 2x One X )
RAM: 24GB GDDR6 @ 672+GB/s ( 2x One X )
ROM: 1TB NVMe SSD
I dunno about 672 GB's, 384 bit bus hasn't been done in a Console yet. then again Anaconda could be $599 for all we know.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I find it hilarious how easily the fake 11.1 TF expectation has now been rapidly abandoned.

What a ridiculous dog and pony show that was.

It really was fooling no one.
what do you mean? this falls exactly in line with 11.1TF? 11.1TF > 10.7TF stadia in raw performance, and when you add in the efficiency of navi this will perform way above 2x faster than an Xbox One X. this is what they described.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Here's a sobering thought: Just naively comparing with Nvidia's GPUs to see what's financially viable to put in a console, the PS4 was a rough equivalent to the GTX 660 in terms of TFLOPS (PS4: 1.84; GTX 660: 1.88), which at the time of the PS4's release was about 15 months old. If we assume the next consoles launch around Christmas 2020, we should hence be expecting the PS5 to be in line with a XX60 card released by Nvidia in the fall of 2019. This would be somewhere in between a RTX 2060 and a RTX 2160 (or whatever naming convention is used). Using the RTX 2070 as approximation, we get a PS5 at 6.5 TFLOPs......

I'm expecting 8 TFLOPs, which is already a lot higher than what the PS4 had in relation to the NVIDIA GPUs on the market at the time. And then I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised.....

The Xbox One X is already 6TF.

The idea that the PS5 will only be have 1/3rd more flops than the X is clearly ludicrous.

Both Anaconda and PS5 will not be 8TF. Not a chance. I will eat my hat.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So amped for a console geneeation that can finally be good enough to play a 4x game.

Imagine the possibilities.

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
This approach ignores the specifics of node, architecture, die sizing, TDP, and numerous other technical factors and instead focuses on the marketing and product positioning of a competitor's product as the basis for its conclusion. This is extremely divorced from reality and equivalent to the approach of looking at graphics card MSRPs as a basis for estimating console performance.

No it doesn't. It assumes the relation then will be the same as the relation now, since a console is subject to the same constrictions.

I'm not saying I've proved anything however, I'm just saying that the TFLOPs talk I see here seems to come from a Moore's law which doesn't hold anymore. The guesses on 10-12 TFLOPS imply that the best GPU on the consumer market currently - at $1200 - will go in to a console for $499 by next year. We didn't see anything close to that with the PS4, and I'm hence questioning whether it's realistic with the PS5.

Nov 2, 2017
No it doesn't. It assumes the relation then will be the same as the relation now, since a console is subject to the same constrictions.

I'm not saying I've proved anything however, I'm just saying that the TFLOPs talk I see here seems to come from a Moore's law which doesn't hold anymore. The guesses on 10-12 TFLOPS imply that the best GPU on the consumer market currently - at $1200 - will go in to a console for $499 by next year. We didn't see anything close to that with the PS4, and I'm hence questioning whether it's realistic with the PS5.
You can get a Vega 64 right now for $399.

12 Tflops seems very unlikely right now though based on everything we know about Navi. Even 11 Tflops seems stretching it.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

The best consumer GPU on the market does not have the highest TFLOPS by quite some margin.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
A bit off topic,but that AMD Chinese Zen variant is dead it seems:

That doesn't mean the product is dead. It just means that AMD isn't currently planning to transfer the rights to use Zen 2 in future designs. Their joint venture can continue to use the Zen cores that were licensed in current and future designs, though.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

This does nothing to rectify the issues I pointed out and instead doubles down on the misconceptions and errant logic paths.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not sure i understand what u mean. I was referring to Xbox X vs lockhart. Not curent gen games on Xbox X vs lockhart.
Unless they start making Lockhart only games, I don't see the difference being massive. MS have to to Xbox one and have Lockhart as the baseline for most games to see the improvements you mentioned. Faster loading sure. More stable framerates, for certain but I don't think massive LOD changes or AI will be a thing.

Nov 12, 2017
So he's expecting:

- A x2 jump over the Xbox one X for Anaconda

- A x4 performance jump over the XBS/OG One for Lockhart

Hmmm a x2 performance gain for Anaconda over the X does not seem like a great jump just with the CPU jump alone or I probably did the math wrong.

bdsams would you be able of clarifying if this is regarding an overall performance gain or just talking about a certain matter like graphical performance? Like TFLOPS. I could totally see them stating: "The next entry level Xbox is x4 TFLOPS compared to the Xbox One S" or something similar rather than the whole package gain. TFLOPS was the first "specification" they mentioned when they revealed Scorpio at E3 2016 on that teaser video.
You was expecting 18tf console ?

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
So if Microsoft doesn't specifically talk about Ray Tracing in the conference and they show of Halo running on prototype hardware and they don't talk about Ray Tracing is it safe to assume that it's not "supported" by hardware?

bdsams

Executive Editor of Petri.com and Thurrott.com
Verified
Apr 23, 2019
So he's expecting:

- A x2 jump over the Xbox one X for Anaconda

- A x4 performance jump over the XBS/OG One for Lockhart

Hmmm a x2 performance gain for Anaconda over the X does not seem like a great jump just with the CPU jump alone or I probably did the math wrong.

bdsams would you be able of clarifying if this is regarding an overall performance gain or just talking about a certain matter like graphical performance? Like TFLOPS. I could totally see them stating: "The next entry level Xbox is x4 TFLOPS compared to the Xbox One S" or something similar rather than the whole package gain. TFLOPS was the first "specification" they mentioned when they revealed Scorpio at E3 2016 on that teaser video.

Was told they are expected to talk in multiple % terms of performance gains, IE 2x,3x,4x,

So XB1S - 4x performance for Lockhart, 2x of XB1X for Anaconda.

This was hard info to lock down mostly becuase I dont think Microsoft fully knows yet, they just started getting production samples from AMD and performance output can vary widely right now with simple things like adjustments to clock speeds etc. Among those talked to, who absolutely would know this information, these performance figures were the consuses of the group.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Was told they are expected to talk in multiple % terms of performance gains, IE 2x,3x,4x,

This was hard info to lock down mostly becuase I dont think Microsoft fully knows yet, they just started getting production samples from AMD and performance output can vary widely right now with simple things like adjustments to clock speeds etc. Among those talked to, who absolutely would know this information, these performance figures were the consuses of the group.

As long as the Lockhart aint 4TF im dandy, lol.

Let's just put those silly rumors to rest, lockharts looking really good here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

confirms what i thought, this accounts the navi efficiency gains.
As long as the Lockhart aint 4TF im dandy, lol.

Let's just put those silly rumors to rest, lockharts looking really good here.
if you read between the lines this is pretty much what is said here, they account for navi efficiency gains here which are 25% faster than Vrga GPU on the same TF count.
that means that: 1.3 * 4 = 5.2TF on vega ~ 4.2TF on navi.

Oct 27, 2017
So basically you think that they will not have the most powerful but say they have?))

The sole reason for Anaconda to exist is high performance.

It is a key marketing pillar for Xbox's next generation strategy.

MS will finally announce a higher TF number than the PS5. They can't afford not to. They will check down the back of the sofa for lost TF, throw money at the problem and do whatever else necessary to deliver a higher TF number. With MS projecting that Anaconda will take 30% of total Xbox sales, it's not their mass market platform. I'm sure they can and will eat some losses if necessary to deliver what they have promised. They cannot afford not to.

Although I expect real world performance of Anaconda to be bested by the PS5's set up.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If they don't mention most powerful console in e3 can we agree they r not sure anymore ?

When they are sure they do like what they did with x .saying most powerful a year and half before release and before pro reveal

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

So whole performance not only gpu ? Then lockhart with zen2 is only 4x faster than basic xones with jaguar ?

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I like your higher CU count better than my estimate. I assumed a lower number of CU to help with yield. But 64 CUs makes much more sense regarding the clocks and power and it's not the mass market SKU. I still think Anaconda will target ~0.5 TF above PS5. That should feel like enough elbow room above PS5 last minute tweak surprises. So I'd guess we'll get something like this:
  • Anaconda - 64 CUs @ 1635 - 13.4 TF

I didn't include Lockhart because quite frankly I'm past caring about it and it feels like a real basket case.

If it was down to pure rendering grunt the number of CU could be pared back a lot compared to Anaconda because 1080 is only 25% of the pixel count of 4k. The number of CUs can't be reduced purely based upon rendering output alone because CU availability must be taken into account for compute tasks (AI, physics, path finding etc).

More and more tasks will be run on CUs in the next gen because CUs will be more abundant. An Anaconda title fully utilising CUs for both rendering and compute in an engine is going to be very tricky to run on Lockhart at the same performance level, even with the smaller render area. You can't just skip engine essential compute tasks if the game relies upon them. Having CPU fall backs seems like ridiculous overkill and will really hamper development work. Titles at the start of the generation probably won't suffer from this as the full hardware spec will be under utilised. At the end of the generation where every cycle is being wrung from the hardware this will definitely cause some issues.

For rendering only 26 CUs should be plenty for rendering at 1080 (assuming the same clock). But the actual number will probably be this plus some number plucked out of thin air to give the future amount of elbow room that more demanding Anaconda compute based titles will need. I wouldn't be surprised to see 30 CUs or even more.

I'm still think we're looking at a Vega base with additions from where ever it was decided to pluck them from, including Navi.
The 64 CUs for Anaconda / 56 CUs for Lockhart is what I expect because it will be cheaper than producing 2 different APUs. I think they probably intend to sell maybe (numbers from my ass) 30% of Anaconda and 70% of Lockhart at launch. They could use a good part of the produced chips with that strategy. The ones that won the lottery with 64 functionnal CUs will be for Anaconda and the others (with min 56 CUs) will be for Lockhart.

It's basically AMD strategy for their GPUs. What would Microsoft do of their APUs with 56 <= Cus < 64 ? That's going to be the majority of the APUs manufactured by TSMC, at least the first years. So they need to sell them... as Lockhart.

I think this Lockhart 1080p tale (along with the 11.1 Tflops tale) could actually be some misinformation from Microsoft. They already market the XBX as a 'native uncompressed pixels 4K machine'. I think Lockhart is intended to be their version of PS4 for next gen. Powerful, enough for 4K60fps thanks to the CPU (Anaconda will have the bells and whistles like RT) and easy to develop for. But Lockhart, mark my words, is going to be a powerful machine on its own, at around 9-10 Tlops. You were talking about misinformation campaign from MS, well, you were maybe right and everybody bought it.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Todd Howard recently in a interview with IGN said neither MS or Sony will make a bad move at the starting line of next gen, something along those lines. He specifically mentioned how he's very excited about Sony's solution for loading/streaming and that their games will greatly benefit from it.

As a Xbox first person, so to speak, I really hope MS will give some clarity on this soon because if Sony's "solution" can really eliminate loading times or at least reduce them significantly, but MS is stuck with loading times... that would be really bad. Or is this solution more or less PR talk by Sony?

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
if you read between the lines this is pretty much what is said here, they account for navi efficiency gains here which are 25% faster than Vrga GPU on the same TF count.
that means that: 1.3 * 4 = 5.2TF on vega ~ 4.2TF on navi.

Btw do we have any idea what other benefits Navi has over Vega apart from the 1.25 increase, or do we have to wait till this Monday during the conference?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Todd Howard recently in a interview with IGN said neither MS or Sony will make a bad move at the starting line of next gen, something along those lines. He specifically mentioned how he's very excited about Sony's solution for loading/streaming and that their games will greatly benefit from it.

As a Xbox first person, so to speak, I really hope MS will give some clarity on this soon because if Sony's "solution" can really eliminate loading times or at least reduce them significantly, but MS is stuck with loading times... that would be really bad. Or is this solution more or less PR talk by Sony?
It's definitely not a pr talk by Sony .we have thread on this site about all the patents related to their ssd solution which is not like any SSD on the market at the moment .some one can put u toward that thread hopefully

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

Interesting. I'm a little surprised by this as with One X Microsoft did give a solid number (6TF) that was almost exactly met at launch in a similar time frame.

I suspect they have a solid idea of their specs and what they can/can't do with adjustments but with Sony not telling theirs (no documents leaking) they don't want to say yet.

Can't blame them for that, though.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
If they don't mention most powerful console in e3 can we agree they r not sure anymore ?

When they are sure they do like what they did with x .saying most powerful a year and half before release and before pro reveal
That was my thought. If they don't re-iterate that they'll "set the benchmark", or be "most powerful/performance leader", then they're probably not sure anymore.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It's definitely not a pr talk by Sony .we have thread on this site about all the patents related to their ssd solution which is not like any SSD on the market at the moment .some one can put u toward that thread hopefully

Hmmm, I see. Well I hope MS has their own thing for that too then because it's gonna be hard to justify for myself getting all the multiplats again on the next Xbox if it's coping with worse loading times.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is it normal to not know how many flops your console will be this late? We're like a year away from launch.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's only because the pro dev kits and powerpoint slides with specs were leaked well before Microsoft's e3 conference.

Sony has been very tight lipped so far.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So if Microsoft doesn't specifically talk about Ray Tracing in the conference and they show of Halo running on prototype hardware and they don't talk about Ray Tracing is it safe to assume that it's not "supported" by hardware?

I can't see them not bringing raytracing when the competition has already mentioned that they will be using it, correct me if I'm wrong. It would be great if they can actually show Halo with raytracing and then also to compare with raytracing disabled.

There's just no way that Sony will offer raytracing, plus also much shorter loading times while Xbox doesn't offer raytracing and copes with significantly longer loading. I just can't see that happening. Because even if they might end up with the more TF, that won't matter all that much compared to that.

Also, why wouldn't Xbox support it? Aren't they likely to be using very similar hardware?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Is it normal to not know how many flops your console will be this late? We're like a year away from launch.
the real reason behind them not revealing the TF number is because PS5 has yet to leak. with scorpio, ps4pro specs leaked and it was set to launch only a few months after so sony couldnt do anything about it anymore.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Unless they start making Lockhart only games, I don't see the difference being massive. MS have to to Xbox one and have Lockhart as the baseline for most games to see the improvements you mentioned. Faster loading sure. More stable framerates, for certain but I don't think massive LOD changes or AI will be a thing.

Wouldn't they have to make lockhart and anaconda only games? Maybe not right Away because of cross gen games but won't they eventually?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
If they expect 4x the One performance at this point, how far beyond that can they get it, really? 10%, maybe 20%. So I'd expect Lockhart to be between 4TF to, maybe, 5TF. Similarly, for Ananconda, something like 9.6 to 11.5TF, tops. All numbers in Navi FLOPs, of course.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wouldn't they have to make lockhart and anaconda only games? Maybe not right Away because of cross gen games but won't they eventually?
The faster they do it, the better. As soon as the nextgen systems come out, I personally think the last gen should be wrapped up, since its been extended by mid-refresh systems already now.

Status
Not open for further replies.