• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metfanant

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be that guy here because i've been out of the loop for a few weeks...but where are we at with the rumors? and how confident are we in the current rumors?....

I know we had been on a PS5 > Series X (are we really rolling with SeX on this one? I'll admit, its an upgrade from Xbone lol)...then last I remember there were some rumblings of the X having a decently more powerful GPU, but nothing crazy...Then I think I saw maybe the X is slightly more powerful, but the PS5 might have some faster memory and faster SSD performance?...but now I'm seeing we've got people saying the PS5 also has "more flops?"

Shit me...never take breaks from era...

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm gonna be that guy here because i've been out of the loop for a few weeks...but where are we at with the rumors? and how confident are we in the current rumors?....

I know we had been on a PS5 > Series X (are we really rolling with SeX on this one? I'll admit, its an upgrade from Xbone lol)...then last I remember there were some rumblings of the X having a decently more powerful GPU, but nothing crazy...Then I think I saw maybe the X is slightly more powerful, but the PS5 might have some faster memory and faster SSD performance?...but now I'm seeing we've got people saying the PS5 also has "more flops?"

Well we know one thing for certain.

And that's that nobody here knows anything for certain.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
If there's no discernible difference between 10TF and 11TF and maybe even 10TF and 12TF then why would both console makers even aim for 12? Wouldn't it make sense to just go for 10TF and save some money? Hey, maybe those savings could trickle down to us customers.
Because it's not a race to the bottom. You could make the same argument for incremental downgrades until you're back at the power of the Pro and X.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
79013931-c68c-4775-a1ff-6e921b718c8d_text.gif

Skratch John Denver, add "Tonky"

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I'm fine with Sex. Or Xbxsx or maybe just xsx

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
I enjoy reading your posts.
Just a quick question, how serious would you guys take leaks that would get out? So like where the leaked photo of the back of the XSX came out, or the Windows Central leaks, is it something that you would shrug your shoulders at, or would MS be like "Who the hell did that? Find their ass" lol
And were you keeping an eye out for leaks on places like Era or Pastebin etc?
The NDAs must be pretty hardcore, cos their hasn't been many leaks.

Thanks!

Ah... people would get pretty frustrated. There absolutely would be someone trying to figure out what happened, and often times there would be repercussions of some sort. Most of the stories that I can recall, the actual way the leaks happened have so many twists-and-turns it's never quite as straightforward as it seems. Some really crazy stories that i could never share. But yeah generally they were taken pretty seriously.

It's funny because if I could get details on just about anything regarding the next-gen consoles, the story behind the back of the XSX photo would be the one question I could ask. I have not seen a takehome kit in person so I don't know if that was real or not - but it looked real to me and I'd love to hear the story. I have to believe someone got busted for that one if it was real.

NDA's are easier to keep then you would think for the people who actually have access to the information. Most of the time people just aren't interested in losing their job for a few minutes of internet fame.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

Ah... people would get pretty frustrated. There absolutely would be someone trying to figure out what happened, and often times there would be repercussions of some sort. Most of the stories that I can recall, the actual way the leaks happened have so many twists-and-turns it's never quite as straightforward as it seems. Some really crazy stories that i could never share. But yeah generally they were taken pretty seriously.

It's funny because if I could get details on just about anything regarding the next-gen consoles, the story behind the back of the XSX photo would be the one question I could ask. I have not seen a takehome kit in person so I don't know if that was real or not - but it looked real to me and I'd love to hear the story. I have to believe someone got busted for that one if it was real.

NDA's are easier to keep then you would think for the people who actually have access to the information. Most of the time people just aren't interested in losing their job for a few minutes of internet fame.
Without any kind of specifics, are controlled leaks a real thing in the game industry?

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see a $200 difference between SeS and SeX
The whole sandwich approach is interesting. That is what the pricepoint people believe for that to happen. XBX at 500, PS5 400, Lockhart 300. The thing is that the cost to manufacture is not as great as the price difference in XBX and Lockhart. If XBX were to be believed to be selling at under cost, then the amount of money that you are giving away to sell Lockhart at $200 less would be HUGE. Percentage wise, looking like OG PS3.

This is where the sandwich strategy completely backfires.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Maximum shenanigans timeline :

- Sony have is meeting and shows amazing tech demos and game teasers for first party games. Everyone is overjoyed
- Sony press release indicates 9.2TF. Everyone cries
- MS announces Xbox event. Everyone gets excited for 12TF goodness
- MS shows a lot of games that are cross gen. People are disappointed...
- ... but the games look great on x1x so we're happy again
- MS press release shows x1x is 9.4TF. Everything kicks off
- MS interview talks about how 9.4 is twice as powerful as x1x. we reach second stage of grief

this is the timeline I envision except it's 9.6Tflops

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Without any kind of specifics, are controlled leaks a real thing in the game industry?

I can't speak for "the game industry" but I can tell you that in my time at EA and at Xbox in Marketing, it never happened. It honestly makes no sense from a PR perspective, because any information you have would be much more valuable to use as an exclusive story with an outlet.

Maybe it happens at other companies, I can't say. But not on anything I've ever worked with.

And the real story with ntkrnl is quite unbelievable.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for "the game industry" but I can tell you that in my time at EA and at Xbox in Marketing, it never happened. It honestly makes no sense from a PR perspective, because any information you have would be much more valuable to use as an exclusive story with an outlet.

Maybe it happens at other companies, I can't say. But not on anything I've ever worked with.

Did he get caught? That's all I want to know lol

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Albert Penello Could MS take a huge hit, let's pretend it's really a 12TF monster that's coming. Could MS afford to take the hit and sell the console at 399 anyways? And then make up the money on Gamepass and Live subscriptions? Or is that just way too big of a loss. Because that would be huge to come out at that price if at that power.

This is a good solid question that unfortunately I can't thoroughly answer without disclosing way more than I should. I'm also not up to speed on the latest BOM for the current consoles (for obvious reasons). I will say, generally speaking, that people place a lot more emphasis on console loss then they should, primarily because they focus on launch pricing vs. overall pricing.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

Go on.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

Spill the beans! :D

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Eh that won't stop the armchair business analysts. MSFT is trading at 180 USD but Xbox is doomed every financial report

How much they are trading for really doesn't mean anything, many of these companies end up splitting the shares. Without splitting the stock Apple would be trading for over $3000/share. Some believe that their stocks are more accessible at lower values so in turn they split them to keep the price low. This just means that if someone owned One $100 share and it gets split at 2:1 then they end up with 2 $50 shares.

Over the history of companies Sony has had one share split and MS has had 9.

So share prices mean absolutely 0 for us unless they seriously fall where a company is forced to restructure and sell off divisions. Luckily for now PlayStation and Xbox seem positioned well and important to their owners, Stadia has failed to disrupt them.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Cboat was great. Too bad he made something up for his last truthfact

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
First equivalent is implied to means what's available on PC NOT literally the saying the Xenos GPU is a retail GPU.
Agreed on that then. But then why do you think the price of one piece of hardware tells us the price of a different one, made for a different market?

Further we already covered BOTH the RSX and the Xenos GPUs a little while back. The Xenos was between a ATI 1800 and 1900XT the latter of which retailed at $250.
Neither of those cards was available at the time of the 360 launch. And the X1900 XT initially retailed for $550, not $250.

Navi10 GPUs can have up to 40 CU (5700XT, 5700XT 50th Anniversary) but more commonly have 36 (5700, 5600XT, 5700M, 5600M, W5700, PS5). AMD's RDNA whitepaper in the OP proves this, you simply cannot have more than 40CU on Navi10.
I'm curious what part of the whitepaper you think you're referring to. Where exactly does it say that Navi10 can't have more than 40CU? (Though this is tangential, I'd like to know what you're interpreting that way.)

Why do you want the industry to be noncompetitive?
You're very confused. He's literally asking for Sony to be more competitive.

I'm glad you brought up Radeon 7, it's manufactured with 7nm node and has 60 compute units, which makes a good comparison with rumoured SoC of XSX.

Radeon 7 is 331mm^2 in size, XSX's SoC is around 390~405mm^2, Zen 2 8 core chiplets are around 75mm^2, the numbers checks out
As others have mentioned, CUs in Navi architecture are much larger than CUs in GCN. In addition, there's more silicon used on caches and other support hardware. On the other hand, it's unlikely either platform will use the full-size Zen2 version. The Flute leak tells us PS5 is using a version with cutdown cache, right around 50mm^2. This and other sizing math is in my threadmarked post.

I think some of those are debatable. Idk I wasn't really thinking about support studios. In this case I'm kind of using the studio count to look at what games we might expect.
Here's the main studios, trying to generally match sizes.

Code:
343i             Naughty Dog/ICE
The Coalition    Guerrilla Games
The Initiative   Sony Santa Monica
Playground       Polyphony Digital
Playground 2     Bend
Rare             Japan Studio
Obsidian         Insomniac Games
Turn 10          Sucker Punch
Ninja Theory     Sony San Diego
inXile           London Studio
Mojang
DoubleFine       Media Molecule
Undead Labs   
Compulsion       PixelOpus

Typically non-console:
World's Edge     ForwardWorks

Though it's a bit far afield for this thread, I wonder what effect Brexit will have on Microsoft's costs. A considerable amount their development operates out of the UK (whereas Sony now only have two of their smallest studios there).

I don't see a $200 difference between SeS and SeX
Anything lower makes the idea less viable. Everything we've heard is that Lockhart (even in its more powerful possible incarnations) will be considerably lower-powered than XSX. And I think everyone agrees PS5 might end up lower-powered than XSX too, but not by nearly as much. So if there's only a $100 gap between the two Microsoft machines, here are the possible scenarios:

XSX - $500, very powerful
PS5 - $400, powerful
XSS - $400, weak

XSX - $500, very powerful
PS5 - $500, quite powerful
XSS - $400, weak

You could also move the MSRPs in each set down $100, but the gaps would remain the same. So either Lockhart is either the same price as PS5 but weaker (a non-starter), or else it's slightly cheaper than PS5 but much weaker.

Good thing these things are just computers huh?
Why do some games hit 120fps or more on PC hardware? (This isn't a non sequitur.)

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
When was Xbox even close to being an important business segment for MS survival or even a highly profitable one compared to their other segments?
This is a false narrative too, you are comparing proportional segments of $1200 Billion company and $90 Billion company. Of course that even if PS and Xbox made exactly same amount of money to their companies xbox percentage to overall company would be significantly lower.

You are forgetting of the corporate greed, every penny is important to them not like either would treat profits as less important than the other.

One could also argue that since Sony is so reliant on PS that it's unstable company and it's future depends on each small decision they make and that they wouldn't be willing to take any risks keeping all things safe. We all know no risk no rewards.

For MS only Office and Azure account for higher percentage than Xbox which accounts for like 11% revenue and Windows accounts for 9%, Bing 7%, Surface 5%, does that mean that MS really don't care about Windows, Surface, Bing or any other of many divisions making less money for them which is essentially half of their company.

Status
Not open for further replies.