• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Era: "how is Sony so quiet? Where's the PS5 announcement? They need to announce it to keep investors happy!! Sales for the PS4 are decreasing. No price cut? What strategy do they have? Do they have any?"

Meanwhile, Sony:

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Just wanted to add that the Radeon VII is a 7nm, 13.8tf GCN card. Notice how the 5700XT performance is in the middle of the two GCN cards. Sometimes beating both.
U4djE6L8P37febZ8DGYujU-970-80.png

d6zzwWQVVvd2D5YhQM4EE5-970-80.png

CoUtxh3qqphbBe7tNskUhb-970-80.png

Now imagine how a 12TF RDNA card would perform compared to an Xbox One X, would it be 2x a Xbox one X like Phil said? Or would it be more like,

12tf *1.25x RDNA performance per clock vs GCN=15tf GCN/6tf GCN=2.5x?

Phil didn't say over 2x like he did for "over 8x Xbone". Also this shows not all TF are equal. I mean it was already pretty obvious when you compare Nvidia flops vs AMD flops. But here we have 3 AMD cards.
I'm glad you brought up Radeon 7, it's manufactured with 7nm node and has 60 compute units, which makes a good comparison with rumoured SoC of XSX.

Radeon 7 is 331mm^2 in size, XSX's SoC is around 390~405mm^2, Zen 2 8 core chiplets are around 75mm^2, the numbers checks out

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Microsoft keeps the math text task rolling Interview (James Gwertzman / general manager of Microsoft Game Stack) from an recent press dinner

Gwertzman: The new Xbox console, if you look at where the investments went for our new console — we've talked publicly about this. Nothing I'm sharing here is private. But the actual graphics performance is not that crazy an increase. It's 4X or something. Its hard drive speed, and the fact that we have an SSD now, means that data access is 10X faster. The biggest differences are things like data access, and maybe network latency. It's not about the raw graphics pipeline anymore. I do think the emphasis is shifting a bit. Raytracing is another thing now. That's more about rendering path. It's not necessarily about art production.

Wait, what? 4x increase in graphics performance? Also, didn't MS say that storage is something like 40 times faster? Or are they drawing distinction between storage's speed and I/O speed?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you brought up Radeon 7, it's manufactured with 7nm node and has 60 compute units, which makes a good comparison with rumoured SoC of XSX.

Radeon 7 is 331mm^2 in size, XSX's SoC is around 390~405mm^2, Zen 2 8 core chiplets are around 75mm^2, the numbers checks out

GCN and RDNA CUs aren't the same size.
RX 5700 with 36CU is the same size as the RX 580 with 36CU, despite being on a twice smaller process node.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

No... R7 CUs or layout isn't necessarily like for like with any RDNA chip.

You could be onto something, but just as easily could be wrong.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
I think the idea that Microsoft's success is linked to Xbox in a significant way is a bit disingenuous.

Roughly 25% of Sony relies on PlayStation...Roughly 10% of MS is Xbox both seem to be a ok chunk of their respective companies. No denying Sony would suffer more if PS ever failed but we don't have to worry about that even when they shoot themselves in the arse they manage to do fine.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Roughly 25% of Sony relies on PlayStation...Roughly 10% of MS is Xbox both seem to be a ok chunk of their respective companies. No denying Sony would suffer more if PS ever failed but we don't have to worry about that even when they shoot themselves in the arse they manage to do fine.
Camera sensors are more than making up for the Gaming side.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
If you are talking about the PS5 potential price point, from the other thread:

OK well this would be my personal take on what he's saying. Actually, I think he's being super straightforward in these answers. They seem like they have some PR filters on them but I read them pretty honestly.

"First, we must absolutely control the labour cost, the personnel cost, it must be controlled," Totoki said. "And the initial ramp up, how much can we prepare initially, we will work on the production and the sales and we will have to prepare the right volume as we launch this.

I think what's going on here is - launch consoles are more expensive but usually cost reductions come quickly. They have to balance tooling costs and how many they want to supply initially vs. waiting for cost reductions to come in. A unit sold 6 months to 1 year later may be much more profitable than a lunch unit. So having a fast transition may be possible, but it may make sense to slow demand a bit to be more profitable (this was an earnings call, after all)

"What is not very clear or visible is because we are competing in the space, so it's very difficult to discuss anything about the price at this point of time, and depending upon the price level, we may have to determine the promotion that we are going to deploy and how much costs we are prepared to pay.

This says to me the box is tracking more expensive, but clearly they don't want to be out of position. It's a pretty honest statement IMO. Why be first to declare price in this space if you don't have to? If MS comes in at $599 on Series X for example, that's a much different scenario then if they come in at $399.

It's super interesting related to the above statement. If they have to sell cheaper then they would like, you may adjust the launch quantities to try and wait for the cost reduction to come in. If you're going at a higher price, you may try to get more installed base more quickly. It's a very delicate dance.

I don't read this as they are "reacting" to Xbox as much as holding more option value to get the right mix of units and pricepoint. Funny thing is, I'm betting MS is thinking very similarly so this could be an interesting game of chicken.

"So it's a question of balance," Totoki continued, "and because it's a balancing act it's very difficult to say anything concrete at this point of time, but when I said smooth transition, we mean that we will definitely choose the optimal approach and that we will try to have the best balance so that we will be profitable in the life, during the life of this product."

Yeah see above. Sounds like they want to wait on a price announce unitil they have more information, because the pricing strategy will directly impact launch quantities and how long you wait for cost reductions to come in.

This does suggest to me that $399 wasn't the slam dunk I was expecting. If they were targeting $399 I would not expect some of these statements.

Equally however, this could all be posture to not spook Microsoft into doing anything aggressive either. So who knows.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

I'm not sure it is quite this simple.

e.g. PS4 APU @28nm = 348mm2. 7870 GPU @28nm = 212mm2, 8 core Jaguar @28nm (4+4 cores inc cache) = ~52mm2. Total ~264mm2.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I hope PS5 loses some cables and connections for PSVR. It's such a rats nest. I had just set it up again this am, forgot what a hassle. It is fun though.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I hope PS5 loses some cables and connections for PSVR. It's such a rats nest. I had just set it up again this am, forgot what a hassle. It is fun though.
My PSVR gathers dust now that I have a Oculus Quest. Hopefully they have a wireless PSVR2 in the works. No cables really is a game changer.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
OK well this would be my personal take on what he's saying. Actually, I think he's being super straightforward in these answers. They seem like they have some PR filters on them but I read them pretty honestly.

I think what's going on here is - launch consoles are more expensive but usually cost reductions come quickly. They have to balance tooling costs and how many they want to supply initially vs. waiting for cost reductions to come in. A unit sold 6 months to 1 year later may be much more profitable than a lunch unit. So having a fast transition may be possible, but it may make sense to slow demand a bit to be more profitable (this was an earnings call, after all)

This says to me the box is tracking more expensive, but clearly they don't want to be out of position. It's a pretty honest statement IMO. Why be first to declare price in this space if you don't have to? If MS comes in at $599 on Series X for example, that's a much different scenario then if they come in at $399.

It's super interesting related to the above statement. If they have to sell cheaper then they would like, you may adjust the launch quantities to try and wait for the cost reduction to come in. If you're going at a higher price, you may try to get more installed base more quickly. It's a very delicate dance.

I don't read this as they are "reacting" to Xbox as much as holding more option value to get the right mix of units and pricepoint. Funny thing is, I'm betting MS is thinking very similarly so this could be an interesting game of chicken.

Yeah see above. Sounds like they want to wait on a price announce unitil they have more information, because the pricing strategy will directly impact launch quantities and how long you wait for cost reductions to come in.

This does suggest to me that $399 wasn't the slam dunk I was expecting. If they were targeting $399 I would not expect some of these statements.

Equally however, this could all be posture to not spook Microsoft into doing anything aggressive either. So who knows.
Good analysis, thanks.

I also don't think $399 is a slam dunk due to Mark Cerny's previous comments.No doubt they are aware of MS's current "sandwich" strategy and are feeling out investor confidence for subsidies in their pricing strategies. Judging by the stock bump, it seems it went well. We may see some aggressive pricing after all.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

In my opinion, Sony is assessing how much of a loss they can take relatively to XSXs pricepoint, which could mean they want to undercut them at all cost.
If it was simple $399 (PS5 at 8/9 TFs) vs $499 (XSX at 12 TFs) they would have said it differently as the price difference would have been a default factor, both machines seem to me in similar price range, at least from Sony's perspective.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
Sony hq if you are reading this, please don't reveal the ps5 specs for a little while longer this thread becomes exponentially funnier and crazier the longer we go. Far more entertaining that tf counts and ssd discussion

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Era: "how is Sony so quiet? Where's the PS5 announcement? They need to announce it to keep investors happy!! Sales for the PS4 are decreasing. No price cut? What strategy do they have? Do they have any?"
Era is trying to find justification for the thirst. The truth is, Playstation is the leader this gen and can do anything they wants, like waiting.
MS needs to prove themselves, shake the tree, but they have a free pass because they show a box and are USA based? Weird.
Yep, I think it is quite interesting to watch.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Lockhart would be targeted for the One, One S and One SAD existing Xbox customerbase. There is no country where people enter in a store and say : "let's take look at what the market has to offer for my price range then I will do my choice". That marginally exists for such product, price is mostly en entry fee that people will accept or wait to pay, or not, but that's not the criteria that will make them choose a platform over another like a phone or TV brand where the content isn't determinant like in a console.
When a casual fan wants to play call of duty, fifa, Madden, Assasins creed and can barely tell a difference side by side between the ps5/xsx and the Lockhart version. Yes Lockhart will have a huge impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.