• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
These renders keep getting worse and worse. This is the simplest and best looking one, imho (minus the controller):

YlNKyJs.jpg

Xz4gEQE.jpg

Clean, stylish, plenty of ventilation.

I like this one. Gives me a PS2 + PS4 vibe.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong.. but it was only after this financial call in 2013 that Sony announced Playstation Meeting 2013?

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Those fan renders of PS5 are shockingly bad. Like you have the skill to render these things and all you can come up with is a mishmash of previous console designs? How creatively bankrupt can you be?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
:(
What do you think we could potentially hear today regarding PS5?

It might depend on what sort of questions the investors ask. They could point out that the PS4's meeting had been announced at this relative point in time so what's going on there. They could ask about Sony and Microsoft's MOU.

I'm hoping for some tidbits to keep us going, but I'm not expecting anything even remotely close to a megaton from this. I'm more excited to get this out of the way to see what happens on the 5th or in the few days afterwards. If they are doing an actual event that requires press to be present before the end of Feb then invites should probably be going out in the next week. We're at the point where quite literally anything could happen on any random weekday.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those fan renders of PS5 are shockingly bad. Like you have the skill to render these things and all you can come up with is a mishmash of previous console designs? How creatively bankrupt can you be?
I cant create these renders, but what I would love to see is something Bold, Different, yet grounded in reality.
Most of these renders are either too close to the past designs, and the rest dont make sense in terms of ventilation, or airflow.

It might depend on what sort of questions the investors ask. They could point out that the PS4's meeting had been announced at this relative point in time so what's going on there. They could ask about Sony and Microsoft's MOU.

I'm hoping for some tidbits to keep us going, but I'm not expecting anything even remotely close to a megaton from this. I'm more excited to get this out of the way to see what happens on the 5th or in the few days afterwards. If they are doing an actual event that requires press to be present before the end of Feb then invites should probably be going out in the next week. We're at the point where quite literally anything could happen on any random weekday.
I agree,anything could happen at any time. In some ways, this reminds me of when the Dreamcast's marketing campaign kicked off and they were showing all these weird demos, fish with human heads etc etc. And Sony pretty much only said "That isn't next gen...." and that message got so hyped.. people were in as much suspense as they are now. The difference being back then... there was atleast an E3 you knew you would get a blowout of information at.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I agree,anything could happen at any time. In some ways, this reminds me of when the Dreamcast's marketing campaign kicked off and they were showing all these weird demos, fish with human heads etc etc. And Sony pretty much only said "That isn't next gen...." and that message got so hyped.. people were in as much suspense as they are now. The difference being back then... there was atleast an E3 you knew you would get a blowout of information at.

I'm a bit torn. On the one hand I like the predictability of something like an E3 showing so I can plan well in advance to book time off work. In fact I had it all perfectly planned to book 2 weeks off to play TLOU2 and enjoy E3, but of course those plans are gone now unless Sony plans another big event around the same time.

On the other hand this unpredictable thing they've got going on is kinda exciting. Anything could happen at anytime and each day is an adventure into the unknown. The community excitement only grows as each day passes and that feeling when we finally get an announcement is gonna feel epic.

I'd say they've done a good job of managing hype so far and not teasing or over-promising on anything yet. They've given us plenty of tidbits to sink our teeth into over the past year and slowly built up the hype a bit more with each announcement. Now we're just in a holding pattern while we wait for all hell to break loose :)

And may I say, thank you to all the insiders who know things but who AREN'T spilling their guts to tell us everything they know. For whatever reason y'all are holding back info and because we're so close to the actual reveal I would much rather hear it from the horses mouth than be spoiled weeks in advance and the only thing I have to look forward to is info that I already know. The months and years of speculation was a helluva lot of fun and the info given by insiders made the wait tolerable, but we're so close to the finish line we might as well just let it run its course and see what they've got for us.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit torn. On the one hand I like the predictability of something like an E3 showing so I can plan well in advance to book time off work. In fact I had it all perfectly planned to book 2 weeks off to play TLOU2 and enjoy E3, but of course those plans are gone now unless Sony plans another big event around the same time.

On the other hand this unpredictable thing they've got going on is kinda exciting. Anything could happen at anytime and each day is an adventure into the unknown. The community excitement only grows as each day passes and that feeling when we finally get an announcement is gonna feel epic.

I'd say they've done a good job of managing hype so far and not teasing or over-promising on anything yet. They've given us plenty of tidbits to sink our teeth into over the past year and slowly built up the hype a bit more with each announcement. Now we're just in a holding pattern while we wait for all hell to break loose :)

And may I say, thank you to all the insiders who know things but who AREN'T spilling their guts to tell us everything they know. For whatever reason y'all are holding back info and because we're so close to the actual reveal I would much rather hear it from the horses mouth than be spoiled weeks in advance and the only thing I have to look forward to is info that I already know. The months and years of speculation was a helluva lot of fun and the info given by insiders made the wait tolerable, but we're so close to the finish line we might as well just let it run its course and see what they've got for us.
Well, it's been quite a rush. Last generation, in the run up,we had basically most of the detailed specs well before Playstation Meeting.
I think at this point, Sony controls the hype entirely. My mind is racing to even imagine what the box looks like. This entire end-game reveal is in their court now, use this momentum to launch into next gen with a blowout at the right time. Or.. they could completely ruin it and hurt their great start to next gen. But... I think they know what they're doing here.
Im expecting to be blown away... and the moment they give out their Playstation Meeting date, I think Era will go down lol.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
These renders keep getting worse and worse. This is the simplest and best looking one, imho (minus the controller):

YlNKyJs.jpg

Xz4gEQE.jpg

Clean, stylish, plenty of ventilation.

I actually think it's pretty bad. The video that comes with it is even worse. The UI in the controller is just mediocre. It looks like something made in the early 2000s. Also "disc-less" lol.

The best design to me will forever be this one:

sony-playstation-5-concept-design_149700791580.jpg

More here

This design is unique, clean, sleek and functional. It's just very aesthetically pleasing. It also looks amazing in every color. This is a well designed product by a very good designer. The majority of mock-ups are usually made by people that know how to use the software, but are just terrible at designing something with at least a bit of class. The person that made this is just an amazing designer

I mean, look at the care put into this design:

sony-playstation-5-concept-design_149700791550.jpg

sony-playstation-5-concept-design_149700791560.jpg

sony-playstation-5-concept-design_1497007915120.jpg

The other one I kind of like is this one:

ps5_concept.png

Also clean and sleek, but nowhere near the level of the first one I posted. I also am aware that the sizes are probably too small to keep cool. Anyway, the further away we are from slants, the better. Slants was such an awkward design choice for PS4.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I actually think it's pretty bad. The video that comes with it is even worse. The UI in the controller is just mediocre. It looks like something made in the early 2000s. Also "disc-less" lol.

More here

This design is unique, clean, sleek and functional. It's just very aesthetically pleasing. It also looks amazing in every color. This is a well designed product by a very good designer. The majority of mock-ups are usually made by people that know how to use the software, but are just terrible at designing something with at least a bit of class. The person that made this is just an amazing designer

ps5_concept.png

Also clean and sleek, but nowhere near the level of the first one I posted. I also am aware that the sizes are probably too small to keep cool. Anyway, the further away we are from slants, the better. Slants was such an awkward design choice for PS4.
Someone should make one that looks like an old iPod Video.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm in the small minority when it comes to next gen console design, but I want something bold, and maybe even a little garish. The PS5 dev kits actually got me kind of excited for what we could be seeing. Then people started mocking up a bunch of featureless gray bricks.

Kudos to MS for the Series X design though. It may not be as ostentatious as I'd like, but it's definitely bold.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
all I want is a console that doesn't sound like a jet engine, don't care what it has to look like to accomplish that

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Zhuge is already tweeting non-stop about the Sony earnings. Down as expected sales wise so far, 25% on hardware in q4 compared to last year.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

More here

ps5_concept.png

You know, the red, grey, black and white one. I remember a freakin render from a 1999 Playstation magazine look 99% like it lol. For what the PS2 coud look like lol.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ps4 around 109 million .6.1 million shipped in the quarter . Down from 8.1million. Second best year ever for PS and 3rd best quarter ever for PS. No ps5 news yet

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, probably for any game they were intending to bring to PC, so that means most third party developers and also Microsoft. I think that within the next few years as these new consoles become the standard though that minimum PC game requirements will start including SSDs, but I doubt that the minimum will be NVME SSDs for quite while (3-4 years). I could be wrong though, It could be faster depending on adoption and NVME SSD pricing continuing to drop....

I don't think they would put such fast SSDs if they wouldn't be properly utilised until halfway through the generation. Having said that I do think PC will lag behind. But PCs have the advantage of flexibility. Part of the reason for the fast SSD is to provide virtual RAM. PC can add real ram. So I do see a possibility that minimum/recommended specs increases the ram which would help offset a slower SSD/hdd

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Jun 23, 2019
Sony Results here
Poll inside, vote !

www.resetera.com

Sony Q3 FY2019 (Oct-Dec) Results - PS4: 6.1m (LTD: 108.9m) / 2019 is 2nd best year ever for PlayStation / PSN generated over $12.48B in 2019

*The US Dollar figures have been converted from Japanese Yen with exchange rate provided in Sony fiscal reports Source 1 / Source 2 As mentioned in the poll, spending on PS Store include Games & Add-on content (DLC/MTX/etc...) but no Services (as PS+/PS Now) You can change your vote if you made...

Insane. Sony could very well hit 120 million units this fiscal year and they made $12B from PSN alone. I said it before and I'll say it again: it would not surprise me if Sony loss leads by building a $500 PS5 and cutting the price to $399–449.

Before when you didn't have the backing of digital services and sales, that kind of move was calculated greatly. Now, you have the backing of digital and know that it's only going to increase as you head into next gen? Why wouldn't I loss lead to not only be comparative to my competition, but beat them again on price as I did last generation? It's free real estate.

Status
Not open for further replies.