• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
It's not about new tech, unless there is a full in node change there isn't much you can do to suddenly make your basic GPU architecture cheaper, faster, and better. The new GPUs coming are going to be refined versions of what's available as part of Navi and performance increases can only really coming from making the chips either bigger or faster. Both of which cost more money.

Okay, as I say, I'm not technical, but, Microsoft have made the chip bigger. We've seen it, it's huge.

Aug 26, 2019
Yah, that seems likely.

If it is on the 5, thar whould put the ps meeting on the 26, before that they have the fundraiser stream.
I don't think it's a PS Meeting. I think that Greg Miller's prediction is coming true. SoP in February and then full conference blowout in May. And I think that February 5th is the reveal, not the announcement of the reveal. At this point I'll take either.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Maybe sony will do it like back in the ps1 days.

The one company will reveal a modern console with vision and advanced features for $449,
and sony will just go on a stage and say "$399"
;-)
I can't really see that happening.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about performance wise... performance wise all console gpus have something similar on PC. PS4 PRO is a 470 perf. Features is not what I'm talking about.
the Pro was limited by its cheap cooling system and $399 price tag. Xbox One X was a $499 console with better cooling and not only had 8 more CUs than the 580 but almost matched the clocks and the performance of the 580.

with at least one of two consoles targeting the $499 price tag, it makes no sense to compare it to the x700 gpus. they will add more CUs to whatever AMD puts out for their 5800xt card, and clock it slightly lower. the massive 405mm2 apu and the giant case pretty much confirms a 60+CU card with medium-high clocks. my guess is that the xsex gpu has 70 CUs, 6 disabled at 1.475 ghz to hit 12 tflops. the clocks are low enough so that they can always increase them at the end in case Sony ends up beating their target.

Fair enough.

I'm working off mid-gen refreshes, which makes these jumps tiny.

Edit: although again, PS4 and Xbox One were known for being incredibly conservative. I'm not sure they are a good point of comparison.

With ray tracing in GPUs, SSDs which are 50x faster and CPUs which are almost 7x faster, it's going to be one of the biggest leaps in generations. the 7x increase in raw tflops is pretty decent considering how we went from 35x to 8x when going from ps2 to ps3 to ps4. if it wasnt for ray tracing hardware, the jump might have been 8x.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I'd personally read pleading the Febth as a hint at something at some point in February, not necessarily the 5th.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Fair enough.

I'm working off mid-gen refreshes, which makes these jumps tiny.

Edit: although again, PS4 and Xbox One were known for being incredibly conservative. I'm not sure they are a good point of comparison.
But the time frame is important. Ps360 was an almost decade long generation. After so long to have an 8x processing jump was underwhelming.

On another extreme imagine if you had a 8x jump after a single year. That would be insanely awesome.

The good news is that even if we consider the lower end of current expectations for ps5 and series x they will be both way better positioned to the high end market than ps4 and specially xbone were.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Okay, as I say, I'm not technical, but, Microsoft have made the chip bigger. We've seen it, it's huge.

thats my problem with it, either it is a $600+ Console With crazy high power draw or something else is going on. A $600+ console that far outstrips the PS5 in power, draws less than 300 watts, doesn't match any AMD gpu we've seen or announced, and isn't consistent which what we've seen heard rumor wise.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
the Pro was limited by its cheap cooling system and $399 price tag. Xbox One X was a $499 console with better cooling and not only had 8 more CUs than the 580 but almost matched the clocks and the performance of the 580.

with at least one of two consoles targeting the $499 price tag, it makes no sense to compare it to the x700 gpus. they will add more CUs to whatever AMD puts out for their 5800xt card, and clock it slightly lower. the massive 405mm2 apu and the giant case pretty much confirms a 60+CU card with medium-high clocks. my guess is that the xsex gpu has 70 CUs, 6 disabled at 1.475 ghz to hit 12 tflops. the clocks are low enough so that they can always increase them at the end in case Sony ends up beating their target.

With ray tracing in GPUs, SSDs which are 50x faster and CPUs which are almost 7x faster, it's going to be one of the biggest leaps in generations. the 7x increase in raw tflops is pretty decent considering how we went from 35x to 8x when going from ps2 to ps3 to ps4. if it wasnt for ray tracing hardware, the jump might have been 8x.

My issue with this is the power draw would be off the charts. A 70 cu card 1.5Ghz would be crazy power wise when their 40cu card is pulling like 235w.
Add in the cooling and everything else and you would need a generator to run this thing or at least on a separate breaker than your microwave.

BGs

3D-VFX Generalist and VR Developer
Verified
Jan 21, 2020
I still think Senua's face is not CG if we are getting a beefy gpu and cpu.
giphy.gif

In-Engine.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
My issue with this is the power draw would be off the charts. A 70 cu card 1.5Ghz would be crazy power wise when their 40cu card is pulling like 235w.
Add in the cooling and everything else and you would need a generator to run this thing or at least on a separate breaker than your microwave.
It's almost like they'd need a new type of enclosure not yet seen in home consoles.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019

i think XBOX ONE X matches 580 performance right?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

AMD changed their naming structure for their GPU though. What allows you so far to say "it's their x700 gpus" when in term of power consumption, pricing and die size, it's on par with their x800 gpus ? Also the fact that as I told you before, 5700 XT was supposed to be RX 690 according to E3 slides.

There's also the fact that, RX 570, RX 580 and RX 590 are chips fairly close, despite what their naming convention might lead people to think.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
thats my problem with it, either it is a $600+ Console With crazy high power draw or something else is going on. A $600+ console that far outstrips the PS5 in power, draws less than 300 watts, doesn't match any AMD gpu we've seen or announced, and isn't consistent which what we've seen heard rumor wise.

Again, can't speak to the technical side, that's over my head, however, from what I've read on here, it seems like the larger size shouldn't add that much cost.

Also, I don't believe it outstrips the PS5. Every reliable insider we've heard from says that the PS5 and XSX are very close in power. I think we're looking at two ~12TF monsters.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
When is the next month you guys think the PS5 news will drop? I say April via Wired Articles lmao.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
GPU: XB1X has GPU hardware features missing from XB1S, which shouldn't be true for Lockhart.
Features like what? I'm unaware of anything unique to One X.

Sony and MS have traditionally launched a gpu that is equivalent to an AMD in the pipeline. This is consistent with Alberts analogy of a catering service menu.
Not correct. PS4, Pro, One S, and One X all have GPUs that aren't offered as AMD products. And Mr. Panello should only be used as a guide to high level process. By his own admission, he doesn't know the technical details.

In the past these console launched with retail equivalent cards priced at:
PS4 =$350 retail card equivalent.
This alone should be enough to invalidate your logic. Here's a case where GPU itself is 85%+ of the entire MSRP. A $499 XSX could have a 50CU chip by analogy, greater than 11TF even without clock advantage over 5700XT.

(Of course, that's a spurious conclusion, because MSRP is no guide to cost.)

In my scenario 2 5500s would be 316mm2, the cpu would be between 50 and 65mm2 depending on cache. If we go with the larger amount for the cpu so they can dual purpose them in Azure data centers then thats 380mm2 plus room for other goodies.
Your scenario directly contradicts GitHub info. It directly contradicts "insider" claims that 12TF is an RDNA number. It directly contradicts reportage that 12TF is the current performance target. It directly contradicts recent reportage that 12 TF is being hit. It directly contradicts actual measurements of AMD products.

Basically, it takes account of almost no info we have, apart from a portion of the GitHub leak. (And pastebins, but come on.)

It's not a chiplet but more like the PS4 pro design which I would imagine might waste some die space in exchange for a streamlined fabrication method.
The PS4 Pro silicon isn't laid out or made fundamentally different than any other GPU. Cerny's remarks about a "butterfly" are an analogy for laypeople, not a description of a novel process. There's not a special way of doubling CUs that's particularly cheap but wasteful.

where does this 10.2 come from?
The GitHub PS5 has 36 active CUs, implying 40 on chip with some disabled for yield. You can enable them all without doing a redesign. It costs more, but at the 2.0 GHz leaked clock, it's 10.2 TF.

Dec 10, 2019
its 10.2 Vs 12 what were discussing . i just dropped the .2 for ease of use. 10.2 is 15% weaker than 12 TF.(0.85x12=10.2)

so 15% vs 40%

No that is wrong again. You need to take the same base for both.
If you talk about weaker instead of stronger it's 15% vs 29%
Original Xbox One is 29% weaker than Ps4
Ps4 is 40% stronger than Original Xbox One

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are looking way too into these tweets! 🤣

The shaving dude is from the Apex Legends Season 4 trailer and it starts Tuesday (Feb 4th).

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So, 5700 -> 5600 and now probably 5500 level performance being mentioned here.

Heh, at the least, there is no way to be disappointed with expectations that low.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
12TF rumor was quite old in fact and even just as the chip was revealed it started getting word again. tomwarren and windows central and others. Klee also acknowledged that.

Status
Not open for further replies.